Sign in to follow this  

Pub on Dyson Place, Hunters Bar??

hi, i was just wondering whether anyone could tell me if there used to be a pub on Dyson Place (very small dead-end road off Sharrow Vale Road) many years ago. I was wandering up there the other day and found an old building with the bricks decaying, and noticed lamps on the side and a bracket for a pub sign.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Lived on nearby Ashford Rd. for years and our back garden used to end at Dyson Place but I never heard any of the old locals talk about a pub ever having been there.

In the old days , a lot of shops used to have signs outside . I suppose , before the 1880's a lot of people couldn't read and write , hence the need for signs. I think Ashford Rd. was built in about 1885 [?] but Dyson Place seemed older than the surrounding roads.

Good luck with your enquiries and let us know what you find out !

i live on Ashford Road now, and i can see the roof of that building from my back yard which is why i went to explore. Good idea about the old shop....either way i'd love to know the history. It looks so much older than the surrounding buildings.

According to my 1954 Kellys there used to be St Andrews Church Mission on Dyson Place. Could this be it? No mention of a pub.

oh i don't know.is there a picture by any a chance?? it definately looks like a pub. was there a date to that? maybe it was a pub first??

Kellys directories just list the names of the householders of each house in each street in the city - needless to say there is no room for pictures.

It seems unlikely that the church mission hall would have been a converted pub but I suppose stranger things have happened!

Just had a look in one of my old Sheffield books and found that St Andrews church was built on "Sharrow Hill"in 1867/68 with "Handsome memorial windows". I may be totally wrong as I don't know that part of Sheffield too well but this is the only thing shown in my Kellys for Dyson Place which is not a private house.