View Full Version : Taxis would not take me home!!!

posthere
15-06-2008, 19:47
Hi,

Just a quick rant about taxis. -

:rant: Start

Last night I went to Embrace. I left about 3 in the morning. I walked over to where the taxis park up only to be told by 3 of them that my journey (to Walkley) was not far enough!!!

I eventually got in a Taxi but this put me in a very bad mood. Im no expert but is the purpose of a taxi to take you to where you want to go and charge you accordingly

:rant: End

Thank You

cheekychimp
15-06-2008, 19:50
Maybe they felt that you weren't worth enough, what with the petrol 'crisis' at the minute maybe they wanted a more expensive fare. A bit rude and inconvenient but at the end of the day they need to make money!

Jessica23
15-06-2008, 19:52
That seems really strange. As if Walkley's not far enough! It's a stupidly long walk to do at 3 am when you've had a few drinks. (The risk of ending up on the swings in Crookes Valley Park, for a start, should not be discounted...)

Anyway, very weird on the part of the taxi drivers.

posthere
15-06-2008, 19:52
Maybe they felt that you weren't worth enough, what with the petrol 'crisis' at the minute maybe they wanted a more expensive fare. A bit rude and inconvenient but at the end of the day they need to make money!

True but makes me think twice about leaving my car at home in the future. I can have just as much fun not drinking.

cheekychimp
15-06-2008, 19:54
And just think they might have said no to you and then ended up sitting there all night because no one wanted to go further!

I hate rude taxi drivers, it doesn't take much to smile and say hello!

pitgurl
15-06-2008, 19:56

:rant:I look at it this way... all taxi drivers are there to do a job and that is to take people from A to B no matter how short or how long the distance is!!:rant:

cheekychimp
15-06-2008, 20:00
:rant:I look at it this way... all taxi drivers are there to do a job and that is to take people from A to B no matter how short or how long the distance is!!:rant:

Yeah i agree they are there to do a job but that job has to pay, they can't live off nothing, but i do sometimes think a few taxi drivers are rude and awrkward just for the sake of it!

Vrsaljko
15-06-2008, 20:02
You weren't off your face were you?

minty 69
15-06-2008, 20:02
Hi,

Last night I went to Embrace. I left about 3 in the morning. I walked over to where the taxis park up only to be told by 3 of them that my journey (to Walkley) was not far enough!!!

I eventually got in a Taxi but this put me in a very bad mood. Im no expert but is the purpose of a taxi to take you to where you want to go and charge you accordingly

Thank Youtab 1 is the best person on advice about taxis and will give you the solution to avoid it happening again to you.

AJ sheffield
15-06-2008, 20:03
And just think they might have said no to you and then ended up sitting there all night because no one wanted to go further!

They might have also been sat there the next day reading about how you got ten shades kicked out of you on the walk home.

posthere
15-06-2008, 20:13
You weren't off your face were you?

Was not off my face, merry, but not off my face.

Dave650
15-06-2008, 20:29
Hi,

There is actually a law that hackney carriage ways have to serve, but I can't quite remember it I have a feeling it's regarding journeys that are 'too long' though :(

Minimo
15-06-2008, 20:30
I may be wrong about this but I thought if a taxi was displaying the `for hire` sign then they can`t refuse a fare (unless perhaps there is a very good reason like aggression) I would have thought Walkley was a reasonable distance away, not like its just round the corner

Henri
15-06-2008, 20:31
Hi,

Thank You

They make their own rules as they do laws...

Dave650
15-06-2008, 20:36
Wow I might give up on my hopes of getting into politics and become a taxi driver then....:huh:

El Robbo
15-06-2008, 20:44

If it's from a Taxi rank then drivers can't refuse based on distance - they all take their chance evenly for who gets the juicy fares.

When I lived in Inverness, this was a big problem because they all wanted the runs to the outlying villages, so a taxi gate had to be introduced so they couldn't get away with that.

CarlSheff
15-06-2008, 21:00
You was probably way too drunk as you basically have to be to have a good night in that club...i sadly went last night, and the soapstar appearance sums Embrace up in one & that is cringeworthy, the only room worth visiting in their is mink & that is very average at best. Whatever happened to me going to Electrosexual last night:loopy:

fox20thc
15-06-2008, 21:02
If you had any issue with a hackney carriage you should have taken their details and reported them to the council.

Andy C
15-06-2008, 21:19
Wow, there were actually taxis on a rank in Sheffield on a Saturday night?

Bring back the night buses!

Flooz
15-06-2008, 21:23
I wonder if from a legal point of view refuse you on this basis?
If not next time get their badge number and report them.

djelibeybi
15-06-2008, 21:42
So far I've not used a taxi here in Sheffield, but in Portsmouth, they had the opposite problem with the taxi companies.

As Portsmouth's an island, the taxi's hated going onto the mainland for any real distance as it meant they were coming back into the city without a fare. They much preferred the local runs as there was a fair chance they'd be allocated a job within seconds of dropping off.

I'm really surprised Sheffield taxi drivers aren't of the same mind.......the sooner they're back on a taxi stand in town, the more jobs they can do.

allwaystired
16-06-2008, 08:02
I've never ever had a problem getting a taxi to walkley. I should imagine there is a little more to this story than we're being told..........

tab1
16-06-2008, 08:32
I've never ever had a problem getting a taxi to walkley. I should imagine there is a little more to this story than we're being told..........

My thoughts exactly:suspect:
As has been said before if it was a hackney carriage i.e. a black cab you approached on a rank then why would you have asked if you could get in or not? You simply open the door, get in and say your destination and he would have to take you even if it was across the road, no question asked (eyebrow raised but no question asked). If however you approached a line of cars with stickers parked up near Embrace entrance then they would either be booked for a specific fare or on the prowl for a long distance fare illegaly. If they are some dodgy drivers who have come in from Dronfield to make extra money then Walkley is indeed not far enough for them and that IMO would tie in with the response you got.
For a black cab to refuse going to walkley without a valid reason is unheard of and Walkley not being far enough is not a valid reason, there may however be yet another reason we aren't being told yet.;)
As has been said earlier to always take down details of the vehicle and plate number and report them. Taxi drivers can no doubt do without some of the half wits that give the rest of them a bad name.

PS Thanks minty 69, appreciate your vote of confidence.

Superstition
16-06-2008, 11:41
Because of my journey not being long enough, I used to phone and book in advance.. and leave the club at the time the taxi was booked for. Made sure it was somewhere other people were unlikely to be loitering for a taxi ie bottom of Cavendish Street. Only once did I have a problem when for some reason there were a couple of girls trying to get a taxi in the same place (Found this rather bizarre but put it down to them being drunk) I'd had my ring back but was told by the driver the girls had booked the taxi. I called Mercury and explained the situation who denied ringing me back. I ended up flagging a taxi and didn't manage to get one for an hour and half.

If you haven't booked I don't think they have to take you to your destination. Do they?

KJ_VENOM
16-06-2008, 12:45
I would have thought the shorter the distance the better for the taxi driver when you get in a taxi at say 3am you get in and there is 3 on the clock before you've moved anywhere a short journey taking less than 5 minutes will allow them to pick up another fare from the countless people flagging down cabs (or any car thinking its a cab) thus more of the initial charges.

Ousetunes
16-06-2008, 13:32
Came back from York last night and got a taxi at the railway station to take me home (Lodge Moor).

It cost over 11!!

Not bad for a 15 minute, 4 mile journey.

They must be raking it in IMO.

JenC
16-06-2008, 13:42
Came back from York last night and got a taxi at the railway station to take me home (Lodge Moor).

It cost over 11!!

Not bad for a 15 minute, 4 mile journey.

They must be raking it in IMO.

That's steep; it only costs me about 16 from the station to Killamarsh (which is obviously much further)

lyndix
16-06-2008, 16:35
I find it strange that 3 different taxi drivers have said this.
Are you sure there wasn`t another reason for them not wanting to take you?
Perhaps you looked p****d or of your head? (not saying you was):suspect:

tab1
16-06-2008, 16:43
That's steep; it only costs me about 16 from the station to Killamarsh (which is obviously much further)
And lodge moor isn't exactly city centre either. Consider a taxi fully licensed and insured and the driver licensed and insured to drive the said taxi is waiting just in case YOU decide you need a lift in a cab instead of going to waite at the bus stop. The driver has to keep the vehicle clean and maintained and regularly serviced (incuring costs) for you, the travelling publics’ safety. He would wait in a queue of more than fifty cabs and if a cab picks up every minute, which they don't, he would wait at least fifty minutes to get to his turn. You may decide to travel to the city centre for fare of 4.00 or go to Lodge moor for 11, the choice is yours. Each trip done, he is free to drive empty to the rank again (which takes more time again) to wait at the back of the queue. If each process takes an Hour and Half then your 11 fare after diesel and running costs is hardly raking it in, especially when tanker drivers are striking and not happy at 41 grand. Lets keep it in perspective, if you want a service then the service provider should at least make a living out of it, and only a touch above minimum wage is not raking it in. They do make money at busy times but the swings and roudabouts analogy comes to mind.

Cyclone
16-06-2008, 16:45

On the other hand, it's their business and like any business they can refuse to serve anyone they want.

posthere
16-06-2008, 16:46
I find it strange that 3 different taxi drivers have said this.
Are you sure there wasn`t another reason for them not wanting to take you?
Perhaps you looked p****d or of your head? (not saying you was):suspect:

Dont know why they wouldn't take me. I was alone and never get "off my head". They were just being idiots I think. I think I'll get my own back in the week by ordering 3 taxis to different locations :) :) :) :) (What goes around comes around as they say)

:D

Darbees
16-06-2008, 16:49
On the other hand, it's their business and like any business they can refuse to serve anyone they want.I'm not sure if that is the case with Hackneys and perhaps Tab1 could confirm this for Sheffield but I do know that in London a cabbie can't refuse a fare for less than 12 miles unless, obviously there is something adrift about the customer, which I suspect, may have been the case here.

tab1
16-06-2008, 16:50
I would have thought the shorter the distance the better for the taxi driver when you get in a taxi at say 3am you get in and there is 3 on the clock before you've moved anywhere a short journey taking less than 5 minutes will allow them to pick up another fare from the countless people flagging down cabs (or any car thinking its a cab) thus more of the initial charges.
Totally agree KJ, they do make more with short trips.If op's situation was the norm, then people going to crooks and Walkly wouldn't get home in a cab. In fact the work situation is that dire for them that they are driving around empt to crooks and walkley looking for fares, let alone refuse a fare in city centre to go there.

lyndix
16-06-2008, 17:07
Dont know why they wouldn't take me. I was alone and never get "off my head". They were just being idiots I think. I think I'll get my own back in the week by ordering 3 taxis to different locations :) :) :) :) (What goes around comes around as they say)

:D

Its a bit daft doing that cos it isn`t going to be the ones that refused to take you that suffer.
It could be that you fit the description of someone thats been giving them trouble.
Whatever their reasons its up to them who they take.

Rich
16-06-2008, 17:09
It once cost me over a fiver to go from Netherthorpe to Weston Park Museum! Eh? That's like, 10 minutes away, if that! :loopy:

cgksheff
16-06-2008, 17:15
On the other hand, it's their business and like any business they can refuse to serve anyone they want.

....... yet, if they are Hackney Carriages, they run the risk of losing their license if they do so.

posthere
16-06-2008, 17:22
Its a bit daft doing that cos it isn`t going to be the ones that refused to take you that suffer.
It could be that you fit the description of someone thats been giving them trouble.
Whatever their reasons its up to them who they take.

True, I wouldn't really do it anyway.

Cyclone
16-06-2008, 18:10
....... yet, if they are Hackney Carriages, they run the risk of losing their license if they do so.

Unless they give a good reason I'd suspect.

Is it clear if they were black cabs though, or were they actually mini cabs?

arsenal
16-06-2008, 18:32

HELLO HELLO

Dave650
16-06-2008, 18:45
I wonder if they're doing this so people are in favour of them being able to raise the fares :huh:

j3nni383
16-06-2008, 19:09
well i got a taxi home no prob at around the same time! I walked straight out of Crystal into a waiting black cab.

Once sat down i told him where i was going - just a little further than minimum fare lol

tab1
16-06-2008, 20:46
I'm not sure if that is the case with Hackneys and perhaps Tab1 could confirm this for Sheffield but I do know that in London a cabbie can't refuse a fare for less than 12 miles unless, obviously there is something adrift about the customer, which I suspect, may have been the case here.I would suggest common sense is what is asked for, and cabbies cannot and would not and indeed should not refuse a fare without being able to justify that refusal. My own guess would be that no black cab was approached in this case and yet the blame has been infered on them without any explanation.

FUTO
16-06-2008, 21:26
should of told them to do a circular for the same fare

Tipex
16-06-2008, 23:34
True but makes me think twice about leaving my car at home in the future. I can have just as much fun not drinking.

You're going to stay out all night going into the early hours of the morning without having a few? then after all that drive home?

hmmmm:confused::loopy:

posthere
17-06-2008, 13:53
You're going to stay out all night going into the early hours of the morning without having a few? then after all that drive home?

hmmmm:confused::loopy:

Yes, you've got it, that's right. Well done :loopy:

Are you saying you can't go out without having a drink? there are groups for people like you :)

retired
17-06-2008, 21:46
I have a friend who was on the taxi's until recently and has had lots of stories to tell over the years. Walkley is a good fare at any time of the day or night. It may have been your appearence, for example drunk or just how you look. He was always paranoid about lads who didnt tuck their shirt in or wore a baseball cap. Maybe your face just didn't fit? They have a living to make but if you think you have a passenger who could be the type to do a runner or be sick perhaps its better if they get some other cab?

emmie
17-06-2008, 23:24
Its true they try and avoid short fares in the morning. My friend lives off abbeydale and no one would pick us up to take us into town because they said they stopped doing local runs after midnight!!!!

tab1
17-06-2008, 23:35
Its true they try and avoid short fares in the morning. My friend lives off abbeydale and no one would pick us up to take us into town because they said they stopped doing local runs after midnight!!!!You realy must stop smoking that stuff, it's bad for you. It's true because my friend said so.

emmie
17-06-2008, 23:37
Just stating my personal experiences (and yes in the plural cos its not just the once)

JFKvsNixon
17-06-2008, 23:45
Hi, just a quick rant about taxis. -

Last night I went to Embrace. I left about 3 in the morning. I walked over to where the taxis park up only to be told by 3 of them that my journey (to Walkley) was not far enough!!!I eventually got in a Taxi but this put me in a very bad mood. Im no expert but is the purpose of a taxi to take you to where you want to go and charge you accordingly:rant: End

Maybe the taxi drivers were looking for one last job before they finished and went home, and wanted a nice big juicy fare.

tab1
17-06-2008, 23:46
Just stating my personal experiences (and yes in the plural cos its not just the once)The assertion that "they" stop doing short runs after midnight is the totally wrong, what ever your hallucinatory experience, that simply does not happen. I may concede however at 5 in the morning they may not have any drivers to send for you or perhaps you phone at a particularly busy time and they can’t guarantee a taxi in ten minutes, but not for the reason you claim.

emmie
17-06-2008, 23:47
Iterms of black cabs i've had a couple of problems. I used to live in rotherhm and twice when we got a black cab he turned of the meter on the parkway, pulled to the side and demanded we pay him then and there or he would leave us and at the time we were locked in. The first time it happened we were a little bit scared and paid up but the following week i took his details and threatened to call the police as i felt i was being both imprisoned and threatened.

In manchester when we tried to get a cab everytime we said where we wanted to go to the black cab driver he's say no he wouldn't take us there as it wasn't far enough. One let us in the cab then asked us to get out as he didn't want local runs. eventually he agrred to take us but still it was getting silly

I'm sure cabbies are the same as any othe profession - there's always bad eggs who don't stick to the rules but they tar the reputation of the good guys

emmie
17-06-2008, 23:49
Tab 1 - they stated the reason over the phone. I was late going out as i had finished work late and was sober and no under the influence of anything else thanks all the same!!! Stop being such a purist - there are swines in all professions

tab1
18-06-2008, 00:03
Stop being such a purist - there are swines in all professions

Total agreement on the ALL professions but read your post again and you were implying that it was a policy not to pick up local fares after midnight which is patently untrue.
To answer your Rotherham journey experience, cabbies would pick you up anywhere to go anywhere but as soon as they realise they have a wierdo on their hands they would try and safeguard their earnings. They would stop almost immediately, be it Parkway or any other road and ask if you have the means to pay or pay a deposit up front to avoid running all the way to Rotherham as a favour to your good self. It's usually when part way through the journey they hear murmers between the passengers complaining about the cost or the colour of the drivers skin or some other indicator to send alarm bells ringing. That is not any judgemnt on you but when dealing with public they have to rely on intuition a lot of the times. To ask for payment up front for a long journey and as long as the price is no more than the meter fare would be then they are legaly in their right to do that, and it's hardly kidnapping now is it?

emmie
18-06-2008, 00:11
At the end of the day me and my also female friend were at the side of the park way locked in the back of a taxi being threatened with getting turfed out unless we coughed up 30 quid which is more than at the time a metered fare was (it was usually between 20-25 depending on the number of drops) and its not very nice. We weren't disparraging the driver but yakking about the night we'd had/what we were doing the next day and the usual banal crap that you talk about when you've had a drink (and no we were not fallig about the taxi hammered or anything else as such). Its intimidating and i'm sorry due to things that have happened in my past i don't take kindly to that kind of behaviour and found it intimidating and unnerving. If there is an issue with pre payment then discuss it before the journey begins not half way at the side of a road where there was no houses/people etc. because this implies foul practice and intimidation. If i was completeley alone in the taxi i would have been petrified

*_ash_*
18-06-2008, 00:12
So far I've not used a taxi here in Sheffield, but in Portsmouth, they had the opposite problem with the taxi companies.

As Portsmouth's an island, the taxi's hated going onto the mainland for any real distance as it meant they were coming back into the city without a fare. They much preferred the local runs as there was a fair chance they'd be allocated a job within seconds of dropping off.

I'm really surprised Sheffield taxi drivers aren't of the same mind.......the sooner they're back on a taxi stand in town, the more jobs they can do.

Most are. I can't think why they would turn down a Walkley job. When clubs are kicking out, the last thing you want is a job to Rotherham.

Walkley, straight back for another fare. :confused:

Funny you should mention Portsmouth as well, that has one of the best taxi companies for both driver and customer in the country. (AFAIK).

tab1
18-06-2008, 00:22
It would be unfair emmie to judge anyone on hearning just one side of the story, but if it was to be true do you realise how much that guy was risking for a measly 30? His whole livelyhood and I know most would be terrified to do that. There is a number right infront of you to take down and repot him, after all your allegation is a serious one. However with your earlier statement about cabs not picking up local fares after midnight being the absolute truth, please forgive me for not giving your version total sympathy. There are some bad apples but don't you find it strange that you get the bad ones wherever you go Sheffield or Manchester?

retired
18-06-2008, 15:29
Well, whats so wrong in paying a cabbie up front or even a decent deposit? We pay buses, trains and flights up front without quibble. Being a taxi driver is a nerve racking job at the best of times, you have to pick up all walks of life. Put it this way, its easy to get taken where you want (usually) and when you have got there you have what you wanted, then you may argue about the fare or not even pay it, but you have still got what you wanted. Whats the likelyhood of paying your fare and not getting to where you wanted to go? When I had a friend in Hope valley, taxis on a Saturday night didn't want to go that far at 1am. Good money all the way there but zilch money all the way back! I always negotiated a fare up front and paid up front. Sometimes they wanted what was on the clock so I paid 20 on setting off and settled the difference on arrival. Always worked, showed the cabbie peace of mind and a no lose situation guaranteed. Attitude had a lot to do with it though. Oh and another subject we havent covered in this conversation is people being sick in the cab. I think the current charge is about 25 for fouling a cab. Before anyone thinks this is robbery, bear in mind that the cab has to be taken out of service and cleaned by somebody. If the seats become wet then the cab cant be put back on the road until the seats are dry. When the cab is off the road the owner cant earn any money. Another reason why some cabbies might avoid picking certain people up no matter what the distance. It cheaper to give some people a miss.

tab1
18-06-2008, 16:03
You know more about the job than you're admitting to methinks;)

Cyclone
18-06-2008, 16:17
With a train, bus, or plane the full fair is avertised up front. That's why people pay it up front.
With a cab you run the risk of being overcharged if you pay up front, especially if you're not sure how much it should cost.

emmie
18-06-2008, 16:31
I think retired sounds like a sensible person. I would have no objection to what he suggests. Its honest upfront and completely non-threatening

tab1
18-06-2008, 16:37
With a train, bus, or plane the full fair is avertised up front. That's why people pay it up front.
With a cab you run the risk of being overcharged if you pay up front, especially if you're not sure how much it should cost.
Isn't that what the taxi meter is for so that you as the customer won't have to decide what the fare should be, and nor does the taxi driver. I think what Mr retired was pointing out was the peace of mind for both parties when both get what they want out of the contract of hire.

arsenal
18-06-2008, 16:39
Just look a metre if in a black cab or if you get in a private hire cab make sure he or she trips the milage counter then when you get to your des look at milage then ask to look at his fares chart

cgksheff
18-06-2008, 16:48
......... I think the current charge is about 25 for fouling a cab. ............

Fifty smackers at the moment.

tab1
18-06-2008, 16:49
Exchanging stories one day last week, and one driver told me of being on the rank and was approached by a large bulk of a man who shouted "Roveram pall" and jumped in. The driver says he was a bit concerned when the guy walked straight out of the other door saying,"Effin 'ell no'payin dat effin eleven pand fir'ty before we start" Coincidentaly it was eleven thirty at night and a relieved driver sat there questioning the punter's sanity.

arsenal
18-06-2008, 17:10
Funny or what very good that story would go down very well at any comedy club

wondertec
18-06-2008, 18:17
I've been refused by a taxi driver for both reason, not far enough and handsworth as too far?!:loopy: You can't win. think they just pick n choose jobs. Now i get in firts then tell em where i'm going:hihi:

CaptainChaos
18-06-2008, 18:27
Last taxi ride I had from outside coles at midnight to Rotherham (april just gone), cost me 18, paid up front with the meter switched off. I've found most taxis will do a deal for readies you just have to ask.

armandswench
18-06-2008, 19:37
Just a little added rant about 1 Taxi driver, My OH got a taxi from the town centre to Hillsborough Monday night. Trip cost 6.

Sounds great except OH only had a 10 note and taxi driver refused to give him change. OH decided to sit in the cab until he handed over the change. 10 minutes later change magically appeared. Cheeky bugger!

retired
18-06-2008, 20:36
You know more about the job than you're admitting to methinks;)

Like I said in my earlier post, a good friend of mine was in the taxi trade for years and he had lots of stories to tell. Perhaps I am a good listener. There are good and bad in the taxi trade as well as any other business but there are just as many good and bad customers. Some of us are honest and decent and some of us like something for nothing when the opportunity arises.

A tip he passed on to me a few years ago when the private hire went computerised. Nearly everyone orders taxis by the hour, 1/4, half & 1/4 to the hour. On a busy Sat night 8 o'clock is the busiest time, or your taxi for 7.59pm and your job will get priority over the 8 0'clock bookings. Tell the operator why and they will understand.

retired
18-06-2008, 20:41
Sorry or should mean book.

tab1
18-06-2008, 22:31
Last taxi ride I had from outside coles at midnight to Rotherham (april just gone), cost me 18, paid up front with the meter switched off. I've found most taxis will do a deal for readies you just have to ask.Since the taxi fare on the meter to just past Parkgate centre would be about 18, I don't think making a deal got you a bargain, in fact you probably paid a pound or two over the top, that's if you went to central area of Rotherham. Meter fare is at least more reliable than just a gues, but still your choice how you travel.

scarby
18-06-2008, 22:45
That seems really strange. As if Walkley's not far enough! It's a stupidly long walk to do at 3 am when you've had a few drinks. (The risk of ending up on the swings in Crookes Valley Park, for a start, should not be discounted...)

Anyway, very weird on the part of the taxi drivers.

That's nothing, I've walked from Embrace to Parson Cross at 3-4am, drunk - numerous times.

But I'm a bloke, so a less likely target of being gang raped I suppose.

*_ash_*
19-06-2008, 00:30
That's nothing, I've walked from Embrace to Parson Cross at 3-4am, drunk - numerous times.

But I'm a bloke, so a less likely target of being gang raped I suppose.
I've done that before (not from Embrace though), my goodness, even smashed, it's a lot further than you think, when walking..:hihi:

*_ash_*
19-06-2008, 00:35
Another one of the advantages of the sat nav. I only use it to find pick up addresses and out of town jobs, but if someone asks me how much before the journey starts, I just ask them their exact address, key it in, and tell them I won't charge any more than the fastest route it can find. Can't really be fairer than that.

Before these things, I might have said 'about 6 quid' then realised I'd massively under quoted and end up in a position where it looks like I'm trying to rip them off.

*_ash_*
19-06-2008, 00:38
A tip he passed on to me a few years ago when the private hire went computerised. Nearly everyone orders taxis by the hour, 1/4, half & 1/4 to the hour. On a busy Sat night 8 o'clock is the busiest time, or your taxi for 7.59pm and your job will get priority over the 8 0'clock bookings. Tell the operator why and they will understand.
Oi, shhhh. :hihi:

Good posts though retired. :thumbsup:

tab1
19-06-2008, 07:30
Like I said in my earlier post, a good friend of mine was in the taxi trade for years and he had lots of stories to tell. Perhaps I am a good listener.
All respect to you retired, it's a refreshing change to read some posts of common sense. It seems you may have personal experience of the trade and thus your balanced view, but indeed you must be a good listner. :thumbsup:

I just ask them their exact address, key it in, and tell them I won't charge any more than the fastest route it can find. Can't really be fairer than that.
You never lose out, guaranteed, good one:thumbsup:

sccman
19-06-2008, 11:31
A taxi driver who has his For Hire sign, Illuminated or who is parked on rank. cannot reasonable refuse a fare if a Driver refuses a fare for no other reason that "its to far" as long as that is within reason and especially if it is in the Controlled District this means Sheffield or "its not far enough" this is not and will not be accepted by a Licensing Authority as a reasonable excuse, the only way we are going to rid ourselves of these types of drivers is to complain, take thier number. smile at the CCTV camera on Barkers Pool (just to show you are not staeming drunk) this would be the first excuse a driver would use as to teh reason for refusal. AND REPORT HIM.

Email here taxi.licensing@sheffield.gov.uk

tab1
19-06-2008, 17:38
Although I have always advocated using black cabs and always ask to pay by meter, and report any infringements, taxi trade hasn't been supported by the council. In my experience the city council is doing very little to stop the illegal offers of service from taxis coming in from Dronfield and Rotherham etc.
The takeaways restaurants and many other licensed businesses are monitored for the benefit of the public at no extra cost to those businesses other than their license fees. The taxis are charged extra over and above the licensing fee to employ enforcement officers. The funding for them was put in place to stop touting for illegal business by private hire, local and from outside of Sheffield. All for the benefit of the public, so that travelling by taxi can be safe and legal, but even after paying extra still no change. My gripe is that even when the trade pays for the privilege of themselves being policed, (no other business does that) they are not getting value for money, and the illegal plying for hire goes on under the noses of, and in some cases encouraged by the local police. Maybe if the enforcement funding came out of the public purse, we may have more accountability, and not as now a department collecting funds under the guise of enforcement but with little change on street level.
I would contend a good many people are being picked up and ripped off by the North East Derbyshire contingent and the blame is placed on the Sheffield cabbies unfairly. In fact I would hazard a guess that the OP of this thread actually approached three of these pirate cabs and we have pages and pages here disparaging Sheffield cabbies. Scc can do so much more for the public and the local trades of Sheffield.

retired
19-06-2008, 20:57
Thats true about Derbyshire plated cabs and more should be done about it.
I have thought a lot about some of the rants and advice my friend has told me but being an hour of beddy bye times I have forgot most of them so will try again tomorrow when I am more awake.
However here's one to ponder about. Bearing in mind my good friend has been off the taxis (private hire) for almost 3 years so some of the things I say might be out of date. If you call a private hire firm and they send you a black cab the driver is in an awkward position. The firm would tell him to charge their rates which will be lower than the meter. So the journey should be off the meter and charged by the mile. This could look a bit sus by the customer. However the council insist that all Hackney carriages should charge by the meter even when working for a private hire firm. This would result in a fare being higher than a private hire company would normally charge. So to be legal a hackney driver working for a private hire company should charge by the meter. If this is not acceptable by some customers then perhaps it may be a good idea if when ordering a taxi you state 'dont send a hackney', this could save an embarrasment to both party's.

tab1
19-06-2008, 22:26
There are something like eighty black cabs on Mercury alone (ash could probably confirm that) and simmilar number on City too. If charging private hire rates was an embarasment then they wouldn't be working on there.Not forgetting most of them are ex private hire drivers anyway who took the opportunity to switch whilst the plates were delimited and so be able to legally work from bookings and take flag downs.

*_ash_*
19-06-2008, 23:44
There are something like eighty black cabs on Mercury alone (ash could probably confirm that) and simmilar number on City too. If charging private hire rates was an embarasment then they wouldn't be working on there.Not forgetting most of them are ex private hire drivers anyway who took the opportunity to switch whilst the plates were delimited and so be able to legally work from bookings and take flag downs.

Yeah tab, I think Mercury has around 100 and City around 200.
If you call a private hire firm and they send you a black cab the driver is in an awkward position. The firm would tell him to charge their rates which will be lower than the meter. So the journey should be off the meter and charged by the mile. This could look a bit sus by the customer. However the council insist that all Hackney carriages should charge by the meter even when working for a private hire firm. This would result in a fare being higher than a private hire company would normally charge. So to be legal a hackney driver working for a private hire company should charge by the meter. If this is not acceptable by some customers then perhaps it may be a good idea if when ordering a taxi you state 'dont send a hackney', this could save an embarrasment to both party's.
Yes, they are supposed to run the meter, then charge the company's rate. (which will be lower).

sccman
20-06-2008, 09:13
TAB1 Spouts about enforcement, what would he/she like to see, teh enforcement officers ignore his illegal left turns and other indisgressions and jump all over the yellow plates for what reason. I would like to see TAB 1 get evidence of illegal plying for hire through a court. Here are a few obstactles in the way, this not an exhaustive list

1, How do you prove no booking.

2, What if the operator allows this and places a booking for them after they pick up. How do you prove they do that

3, They are friends/family/Cousins people form UNi. work colleagues, wrong passengers for the booking.

4, they have left the address I had for them

5, What evidence do you have?

Answer on a postcard please.

Having looked through the old records of the Star etc, you may see that the last COVERT operation undertaken brought 9 prosecutions. Looking further at this it seem that the operation was Nove/ Dec and they didnt get to Court till july Aug the next year. How much did it cost the Council to do this, as i think the highest fine dished out was 500 quid.

dan10bfc
20-06-2008, 11:18
i were in embrace last fri me and 2 m8s came out went straight to a taxi and got told 2 go to first taxi at front of q, thought fair enough so went got in this taxi and he demanded 30quid to high green so we just sat in for about half an hour arguing with him was a fun end to a good night, we told him he wernt getting 30quid but we offered 15 quid and for him to put it on meter but he wouldnt, he then got out of taxi and practically pulled my m8 out so me and my other mate just got out, anyways any1 know where to conplain about a taxi. this guys just out to ruin your nights out and demand money from people who are tierd and drunk of course. lukily we got another taxi 2 seonds late and he charged us 14 quid to high green which is good compared to normal taxi prices!

sccman
20-06-2008, 13:09
Complain to
Sheffield City Council Taxi Licensing
Town Hall
Sheffield
S1 2HH
email taxi.licensing@sheffield.gov.uk

phone 0114 2734005

You will be asked to put it in writing and they will then look into the complaint. If the driver has committed an offence you may be required to make a formal legal statement and attend a Court to give evidence.

tab1
20-06-2008, 14:22
TAB1 Spouts about enforcement, what would he/she like to see, teh enforcement officers ignore his illegal left turns and other indisgressions and jump all over the yellow plates for what reason. I would like to see TAB 1 get evidence of illegal plying for hire through a court. Here are a few obstactles in the way, this not an exhaustive list

1, How do you prove no booking.

2, What if the operator allows this and places a booking for them after they pick up. How do you prove they do that

3, They are friends/family/Cousins people form UNi. work colleagues, wrong passengers for the booking.

4, they have left the address I had for them

5, What evidence do you have?

Answer on a postcard please.

Having looked through the old records of the Star etc, you may see that the last COVERT operation undertaken brought 9 prosecutions. Looking further at this it seem that the operation was Nove/ Dec and they didnt get to Court till july Aug the next year. How much did it cost the Council to do this, as i think the highest fine dished out was 500 quid.
Spout indeed.........:) Thankyou.
What my complaint was sir that the taxi drivers are not getting value for money. If the enforcement is so ineffectual then are you in a position to disclose how much extra per driver is being charged for privellage of employing enforcemnt officers who can't solve the problem they were employed for? (the department remember isn't supposed to make any profit but cover the costs only) For the numbers increase in Hackneys and private hire included, a tidy sum is being charged wouldn't you agree? As I posted earlier if the public benefits from enforcement of the law then let it come out of the public purse and see how people demand value for money, this is easy money squandered for no results IMO.
As for the driver overcharging, the book should be thrown at the pathetic robbing so n so!
The drivers and people who oversee the drivers should be accountable for their actions, seems fair to me, no overcharging at any level is right.

As for evidence, I believe plying for hire is an ilegal activity. Get your mates at NEDDC to call into Network offices at two in the morning and at the same time stop as many yellow plates outside Embrace, Grosvenor House and other goosing hotspots. You can very easily corrolate how many had a booking and were here in Sheffield on legit business. The rest if parked in a prominent spot opposite Embrace for example are plying for hire illegaly. Other cities have used this much evidence to prosecute. You say it cost the council with only 500 fine but the drivers are paying som much more with no results so they are just as disappointed.

retired
20-06-2008, 21:15
Yes, they are supposed to run the meter, then charge the company's rate. (which will be lower).[/QUOTE]

That makes common sense. Put on the meter to comply with the council and then charge the lower private hire rates.
My mate didn't tell me that one!

Any one know what the current waiting time is on private hire at the moment? Thats another topic of conversation.

arsenal
21-06-2008, 14:04
20 pence per min

sccman
21-06-2008, 14:38
To answer TAB1 on cost

3.01 per week for your HCV licence

2.15 per week for your drivers licence,

and by the way the extra cost for enforcement is no longer charged out of Hackney Drivers it is covered in the overall budget of the Department. There is no surcharge for the enforcement activities, THERE ARE no Enforecement Officers, Officers who work in the Office in the day have to do the enforcement activity as part of thier job.

The last "enforcement Officer" was given threats of violence by the Hackney Drivers.

I believe it is about 6 a week for a Station pass and no one whingers on about paying that for exactly what? 300 drivers 21 spaces. Queues out on to leadmill Road.

tab1
21-06-2008, 16:19
To answer TAB1 on cost

3.01 per week for your HCV licence

2.15 per week for your drivers licence,

and by the way the extra cost for enforcement is no longer charged out of Hackney Drivers it is covered in the overall budget of the Department. There is no surcharge for the enforcement activities, THERE ARE no Enforecement Officers, Officers who work in the Office in the day have to do the enforcement activity as part of thier job.

The last "enforcement Officer" was given threats of violence by the Hackney Drivers.

I believe it is about 6 a week for a Station pass and no one whingers on about paying that for exactly what? 300 drivers 21 spaces. Queues out on to leadmill Road.
Thankyou sccman for clarifying that point, I guess my information needed updating on the funding issue. I do recall a surcharge 36 being placed on every driver at the time and extra people employed for enforcement. The drivers agreed to pay extra because the department said they couldn't afford to employ more people for enforcement. I can't remeber anyone mention the extra charge coming off but it seems they decided to amalgamated it into the normal fee and the people employed given other tasks and the problem of "goosing" left to fester on, convenient or what?

The enforcement officer was a super traffic warden with a chip on shoulder, and being an ex police officer, brought that self rightous attitude with him. He made a prat of himself when he pulled a cab on a busy Friday evening and said the centre of the plastic lense on one head light is yellowed by heat of the light bulb, and suspended his licence to work. The driver protested that his weekend work will be lost and the yellowing didn't affect the light so why is he doing that. Many other discrepencies like two cabs with exactly the same minor fault and one is told to carry on working and get the fault fixed later, while the asian driver gets his plate removed. This individual displayed a personal vendetta against the cabbies, and they in turn were fed up of him, and the licence suspension due to a yellowing light was the last straw. Normally not so millitant cabbies stopped work and about a hundred and fifty parked up around the town hall and refused to work till the police looked into the actions of this reject copper rebadged as an enforcement officer. People looking for cabs everywhere with no cabs in service. The Police chief came down to resolve the issue and after inspecting the cab light, declared that he would not have suspended the licence for that so called fault, and allowed the driver to retrieve his licence and work again. The hundred and fifty or so people gathering outside were shouting in protest and that is what you refer to as THREAT OF VIOLENCE that chap suffered. No driver stepped out of line on that occasion and no property was damaged and the police were present and mostly understanding of the drivers' concerns. The only thing bruised was this guy's vanity as his ego trip came to an end and he was subsequently found other work to do. I think you will agree that enforcement is still done and the cabs are in better condition too with, due mainly to better management of situation by the present licensing officers than was the case in the past.
As for the station, that is worked under a closed shop rule to restrict numbers to about 300. You won't hear them complaining because they actyually get more work for their 6 investment than those sitting on the city centre ranks. It's that value for money thing again. Waiting times for a pick up on the city ranks can be up to an hour and some times more during the day shift compared to average of twenty minutes at the station.

ChalireFish
21-06-2008, 19:17
i had the same somewhat annoying issue with taxis a few weeks ago, i came out of the leadmill and got in the firts black cab i saw, and when i said 'stannington please' i was alarmed at the reply, '20 quid up front', ???? its never been 20 quid to get from town to stannington, more like a tenner, what is going on? i know there's issues with petrol but bloody hell! :loopy:
anyway totally disgruntled i got in the next taxi and was then given the 'not far enough' excuse, this totally drove me round the bend and i ended up walking half way home giving up and phoning my mum, who was extremley ****** off, are the days gone when u could get in a taxi, state your destination and be taken there??? :confused:

cgksheff
21-06-2008, 20:39
i had the same somewhat annoying issue with taxis a few weeks ago, i came out of the leadmill and got in the firts black cab i saw, and when i said 'stannington please' i was alarmed at the reply, '20 quid up front', ???? its never been 20 quid to get from town to stannington, more like a tenner, what is going on? ........

If you are sober, and have been well mannered ... and with witnesses .... then make sure that you get the number of the Cab License and the Drivers License.
If you have a camera phone it wouldn't hurt to get some photos as well.

Then report the incident to Taxi Licensing and insist that they keep you informed as to what happens.

Be prepared for counterclaims as to your sobriety/behaviour.

sheff1johnny
24-06-2008, 19:00
I saw a program on tv and a taxi driver has to pick any fare up unless its over 15miles and then its upto their discretion. This was true for London and I should imagine its the same rules for hackney carriages. However the taxi driver would probably argue that you may have been too drunk. Next time just take the drivers number and report him to the company.

wayne.ten
16-03-2010, 20:35
I was taken to west street from home,crookesmoor and charged a fair price,a few hours and beers later,same driver took me round the houses and tried to charge me double the original fare:mad:

Blue Day
16-03-2010, 20:54
The enforcement officer was a super traffic warden with a chip on shoulder, and being an ex police officer, brought that self rightous attitude with him.

Does his surname begin witha P?

irenewilde
16-03-2010, 21:49
I may be wrong about this but I thought if a taxi was displaying the `for hire` sign then they can`t refuse a fare

You've never lived in London have you? If you had you wouldn't be making that remark!

tab1
16-03-2010, 22:37
Does his surname begin witha P?Wow, this is an old thread resurected.:o For an issue that has long passed into history and all but forgotten, I think it would be wrong to vilify people at this late stage. So I hope you understand if I don't wish to answer the question that you ask of me.

julado
16-03-2010, 23:03
You've never lived in London have you? If you had you wouldn't be making that remark!

They really don't like going "south of the river" do they :hihi:

Sharon C
16-03-2010, 23:59
I wonder if from a legal point of view refuse you on this basis?
If not next time get their badge number and report them.

This makes me smile because i live in Deepcar and if you tell them that they wont take you ....... perhaps because its too far ...... poor things lets all live a nice distance from the town center for the taxi drivers !!!!
We have had to con them many times by saying Stannington (because one of our friends lives there) and then we have had to say Deepcar they are always very cross,makes you feel as though they are doing it for free.

kayie
17-03-2010, 00:46
THATS city ****y cars lol

wileycoyote
17-03-2010, 03:08
prehaps you should have flashed the cash, probably thought you didnt have enought to get there, they just think of a price and double it.

tab1
17-03-2010, 09:34
prehaps you should have flashed the cash, probably thought you didnt have enought to get there, they just think of a price and double it.They do?:confused: how do you know that then?:huh: Must be based on some experience or are you just pulling leg here?

beckieb08
17-03-2010, 17:39
i think this is disgusting and unfair for a taxi driver to this and i would of taken their details and reported them! why become a taxi driver if you dont want 2 take fares large or small it all adds up !!

tab1
17-03-2010, 18:39
i think this is disgusting and unfair for a taxi driver to this and i would of taken their details and reported them! why become a taxi driver if you dont want 2 take fares large or small it all adds up !!It doesn't add up and probably never happened, just read the thread please before releasing the mouth foam trigger.

emma.82
17-03-2010, 19:39
that is strange! I used to live at walkley :( how I miss it never had a prob with that taxi drivers are really pocessive of their cars at times I think glad you got home ok though xx

beckieb08
17-03-2010, 19:54
it does happen in town because i've been told before that the fare wasnt large enough for them 2 bother only it wasn't a hackeny carrige

jaklucy
17-03-2010, 19:55
another thread from the past as stated above, it's a shame there's no thread:

"I had a great journey in a cab last night"

whilst being drunk and abusive to this person i've never seen before and probably never will again, they let me in their cab (even tho i was threatening them and swearing) took me home and only charged me 6 all the way to mosboro'.

Bless him he didnt even mind when i kicked his cab and dented the door.

julesmarie
17-03-2010, 19:59
Well you just can't win with how far or not with a taxi driver.

I once took my mum to Gala Parkway bingo, and then we wanted to share a taxi home together, dropping myself off first at Woodhouse and then on to Killamarsh.

Two drivers refused stating it was too far to take my mum home, with it being 9.30pm they would have got more fares closer to home, I wasn't very pleased with any of them.

oaklandsomm
17-03-2010, 20:56
Was it a black cab?

oaklandsomm
17-03-2010, 20:57
as in a council one?

tab1
17-03-2010, 22:51
that is strange! I used to live at walkley :( how I miss it never had a prob with that taxi drivers are really pocessive of their cars at times I think glad you got home ok though xxSince they set off for walkley in June 2008 they might be close to getting home by now, people should be walking to walkley anyway:D