Anyone seen "Gosford Park"?

Gosford Park was on Sky last night, and for lack of anything better to do, I decided to watch it. Why exactly did it win an Oscar(s)? The film was ok, but no better than your average TV movie or BBC period drama. I guessed the killer(s) and their motive pretty quickly (although it took over an hour for the death!) and the acting was "ok" but nothing special.

I therefore turn to the forum for an explanation of why this average, and franky unoriginal movie, won "Best Original Screenplay" at the 2002 Oscars?! :o

Perhaps the Americans were trying to soften us up with the Oscars in preparation to dragging us in to the Iraq conflict :P

I haven't watched it - I also saw it was on SKy and felt compelled to tape it, as it's such an award winner. However, after 5 mins I decided i wasn't in the mood for that sort of film. Thinking about it realistically, I may never be in the mood for it. It looked rather dull.

I thoroughly enjoyed it as a costume drama but not especially as a whodunnit. As to why it won oscars perhaps the Academy saw the other films which were around at the time.

I thought it was a new park in Sheffield .... obviously haven't missed much.

I went watching it with one of my ex gfs. She wanted to watch it because well shes a girl but it certainly didnt interest me. Far off Oscar standards. There was nothing to it. :loopy:

I watched it, but it took ages to warm up. I kept thinking, when is this going to start? It was bustling at the beginning with lots going on but with no real leads into a story. Had an abrupt ending also and at the end I wondered what the?!?! Great costumes and acting, but terrible plot.