Well I'll go to't foot of our stairs!

My mum used to use this as an expression of her surprise. Anyone else heard it?

As expressions of surprise go, my auntie's favourite is "Bugger me!". Now an invitation for anyone listening to sodomise her seems a bit risky for a ninety year old. Not so much with the clever my auntie Lil:loopy::hihi:

My granddad and nannan used to say it, my mum to and I must admit i've been guilty of it too!

when we used to get in trouble , my mother would shout " wait till I get hold of you, I'll swing for you one of these days"

"I'll go to foot of our stairs", or "I'll go to our house" are regular sayings in our household

Never heard it, never used it.

I was discussing the 'hair of the dog' or 'air of the dog' the other week because we couldn't fathom out which was correct, or where it originates from, anyone got any ideas?

Seems daft to start another thread so, hope you don't mind Slick. I'm sure I'll be the first to know if you do.

My family use it - I was always under the impression it was a Lancashire thing, but perhaps not.

Why anyone would go to the bottom of the stairs to express surprise at something has always puzzled me though, I must say.

A colleague and I used to take the Foot of our stairs thing to the extreme, saying `Well Ill go to the foot of our stairs`, then the next one would be `Well Ill go to the bottom of our garden`, the next one `Well Ill go to the end of our street` and so on until we were saying things like `Well Ill go to the outer borders of the solar system`. We got as far as the Andromeda galaxy before the boss slapped us.

I was discussing the 'hair of the dog' or 'air of the dog' the other week because we couldn't fathom out which was correct, or where it originates from, anyone got any ideas?

Seems daft to start another thread so, hope you don't mind Slick. I'm sure I'll be the first to know if you do.

It's 'hair' of the dog. Comes from 'the hair of the dog that bit you cures all...' I believe. I think it comes from the old belief that using the hair cures the nasty effects of the bite.

The hair of the dog that bit you: The origin of the phrase is literal, and comes from an erroneous method of treatment of a rabid dog bite by placing hair from the dog in the bite wound. ref

The hair of the dog that bit you: The origin of the phrase is literal, and comes from an erroneous method of treatment of a rabid dog bite by placing hair from the dog in the bite wound. ref

Well. Bugger me. I din't know that.

Well. Bugger me. I din't know that.

OK, as long as you don't bite.

and what was the cure for the infection caused by sticking manky dog hair in an open wound called, "the flagellum of the microbe that rotted your arm off" ?