View Full Version : Good nights for proper Music Fans!? ex-Londoner new to Sheffield!

Kat81
07-04-2005, 11:13
Hey all,

I just started at Sheffield Uni & was wondering what good nights there are for serious music fans!
I donít know the scene yet Ė coming from London Iíve been spoilt for choice.

The Grooveharder night on Sunday looks good with Bez, Shaun Ryder & Tony Wilson Ė Iím a huge Monday/ Stone Roses/ New Order fan!

Any other nights that people would recommend? I love Indie but am also quite a big dance fan! I know about Gatecrasher but Iím looking for some really good Underground nights Ė not just Student cheesy parties!

carcrash
07-04-2005, 11:18
I do Spannered at the Earl, we have live bands and 2 rooms of live electronica and DJ's playing breaks DnB and hip hop. Starts at about 9 pm this Saturday and finishes at 2.
£3 on the door

scottf
07-04-2005, 11:26
do you like psy trance or hard trance? Planet zogg at ZERO would be up your street if you do!!!!

GC is ace when its on (bank holidays usually), and there are plenty of other little nights to go to.

Whats ur fav music style?

carcrash
07-04-2005, 11:33
If your looking for underground stuff look out for Transmission, Wasted, jackhammer, Fat Moon, NTA, Cheek,

Kat81
07-04-2005, 12:07
Cheers Guys!

ScottF - Music I like:

Band wise - Kasabian, Bloc Party, Killers, The Rolling Stones, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Faithless, - really open to most as long as they have good songs (not like some of the crap that's currently big in NME!)

Dance wise - Chemical Bro's, Jacques Lu Cont, Rae & Christian etc.....

green
07-04-2005, 12:14
u want Urban Gorilla every friday at .Zero.

le cont was on only a few weeks ago, Craig Richards and Freeform five are there this week.

www.urban-gorilla.co.uk

for more info

:thumbsup:

onedizzybird
07-04-2005, 12:51
could also try noggins www.noggins.info for nrg/hard dance / techno
or planet zogg for your more psychedelic stuff www.planetzogg.co.uk

scottf
07-04-2005, 12:52
Damn u just missed lu cont a couple of weeks ago - get yourself down to urban gorilla if u like that kind of stuff tho PM me if ur going and ill buy u a 'welcome to sheffield' pint!!

On the band front we don't really have them coming to play sheffield much (i wish :D ) but the leadmill has nights which play songs by them or there is quite a vibrant music scene, kasbah is good sometimes and there are loads more to go to!!!

carcrash
07-04-2005, 12:58
Sheffield is over run with bands, I know about 200.

Kat81
07-04-2005, 14:16
Trap 2 are a great local band!! Don't know if they have a deal yet?

Good to know there's some underground stuff going down though! lOOK FORWARD TO IT!

scottf
07-04-2005, 14:16
Good luck finiding ur way kat, might see you around :D :clap:

5_HATS
07-04-2005, 14:38
click the link in my sig for news of Transmission events and other stuff:thumbsup:

barrychem
07-04-2005, 14:46
If you like Rae and Christian then there is a night called Lights down Low, it is put on by Low Life records....Quality night, great atmosphere. It used to be held at 'Under the Boardwalk' but not sure anymore.
The alternative room in Zogg is cool too

onedizzybird
07-04-2005, 16:09
also keep an eye out for shefstock.. lots of local bands, camping, beautiful location. i think there's a fundraiser for it sometime soon.

http://www.shefstock.some.org.uk/ - last year
http://shefstock.fotopic.net/ - photos (Antacid's site)
http://images.fotopic.net/y818qk.jpg - fundraiser flyer

sparklesista
07-04-2005, 16:20
:wave: Welcome To The SheffieldForum Kat81! :wave:

Kthebean
07-04-2005, 17:00
Hi Kat!

Welcome to the forum and to shef uni, try the tuesday club and fuzz club at the union on tuesday and thursdays respectively, they are always fun for a bit of a dance.

StarSparkle
07-04-2005, 19:24
Welcome to Sheffield Forum Kat!

It's good to have more Indie girls around!

StarSparkle :)

JohnM
07-04-2005, 22:04
Originally posted by barrychem
If you like Rae and Christian then there is a night called Lights down Low, it is put on by Low Life records....Quality night, great atmosphere. It used to be held at 'Under the Boardwalk' but not sure anymore.
The alternative room in Zogg is cool too

Sadly theres no second room since Zogg moved from the Arches to the one roomed Zero - which is a real shame as it was great to have funky music upstairs as well as 'aving trance/techno downstairs...

It means I dont get to play at Zogg anymore as I dont think Zero is quiet ready for some heavy afrobeat just yet!!

monkeylove
08-04-2005, 13:39
Pin-up @ The Room have Tom Neville playing tonight

Bluey
08-04-2005, 16:07
I'll be going to that night on Sunday with Shaun Ryder, Bez and everyone - Sounds TOP! Only prob is work on monday morning but screw it - when do we ever get such legends coming to Sheffield on one night!!

See you there Kat!

Kat81
09-04-2005, 09:54
Cool - see ya there! xx

miggy
10-04-2005, 16:12
Eeek, completely forgot about tonight at leadmill.

Those who went any good?

JamesT
10-04-2005, 17:36
Get to the Grapes any night of the week for live bands, Sheffield has some awesome unsigned bands. Go to www.l2sb.co.uk/forums to see them promote themselves/bicker with each other like children.

Pauline BHG
10-04-2005, 17:40
I came from London too, its a welcome break to be here and calm down a bit socially (thats why i moved !!) but its hard coz youre so spoilt for choice in London.

Try Razor Stiletto, first Saturday of every month, at Dot Zero on Matilda Street. Plays indie/glam/80s/electro and general cheese. Also normally have a couple of acts/bands on, mostly indie or electro. Fantastic night out :)

www.razor-stiletto.co.uk

miggy
10-04-2005, 17:56
Or try Brighton Beach

http://www.brightonbeachclub.co.uk/sheffield/

"The club is split into two rooms: Room 1 pumping out classic sixties hits alongside the cream of British pop and new garage rock, while Room 2 provides a heady cocktail of 60ís soul, northern Jazz and Freakbeat."

Kat81
12-04-2005, 09:50
Grooveharder Night with Shaun & Bez etc. was WICKED! Wow -what a buzz!
I'm still hungover today tho ;)

Brighton beach sounds cool too - defo - Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

Pauline you said you calmed down when you came here - Hmm I can't quite see that happenin - ah well! CHEERS!

scottf
12-04-2005, 10:00
Its all about pin-up then urban gorilla on friday :D :D

miggy
12-04-2005, 11:12
Brighton Beach is on THIS FRIDAY. If any peeps here want to go drop me a line and I'll pick up some tix.

We went down to it at the uni for the first time last month and it was pretty damn good. Also got very busy by 12am even though students were away.

Pauline BHG
12-04-2005, 12:38
Originally posted by Kat81
Pauline you said you calmed down when you came here - Hmm I can't quite see that happenin - ah well! CHEERS!

Heheheh no I moved away from London coz I HAD to calm down - for financial. health&safety and mental reasons !!!! (slight exaggeration there btw...)

I just mean theres not so much temptation here, which for me is a good thing. I must be getting old <sigh> ;)

scottf
12-04-2005, 13:22
Originally posted by Pauline BHG
Heheheh no I moved away from London coz I HAD to calm down - for financial. health&safety and mental reasons !!!! (slight exaggeration there btw...)

I just mean theres not so much temptation here, which for me is a good thing. I must be getting old <sigh> ;)

Compared to london the amount of nights that sheff has is absolutly scary, but there are still plenty around if u wanna get wrecked!!!