Ethnic minorities police recruitment drive today.

South Yorkshire Police are running a one day drop in today seeHERE

What a load of crap- this discriminates against white applicants, I thought all applications were to be considered irrespective of race,colour or creed. Suggest all white applicants turn up for interview wearing a turban.

Originally posted by Nimrod

What a load of crap- this discriminates against white applicants, I thought all applications were to be considered irrespective of race,colour or creed. Suggest all white applicants turn up for interview wearing a turban.

I agree with Nimrod.

I would normally agree.

I hate the consequences of positive discrimination (usually), but I believe that it's the best way to redress the balance and encourage better community relations in this instance

I would have preferred it to be limited to the specials though.

It's going to be tough for any genuine minority candidate who did get in on their own merits now :( they'll be tarred with the 'positive discrimination' brush and have to work much harder to prove otherwise

I think you're perhaps reading more into this than is necessary guys.

I can see why certain organisations have the need to recruit staff members from under-represented sections of the community; the fact that an open day has been organised to deliberately target a certain section of the community, does not mean that candidates will be given priority based upon their ethnic background!

I fail to understand how preference could or should be given to an applicant based upon ethnic origin / sex / sexuality / disability status etc, however, nothing contained in the link referred to earlier suggests this will happen!

I think it is a good thing that government agencies are making an effort to embrace the community as a whole, but would hate to see candidates from under-represented groups be given priority based upon that such ideology. As with all job applications, the decision should be based upon the experience of the candidate, and the ability to perform in the role.

Of course the candidates will be given priority based on ethnic background. Its a disgusting state of affairs. This will eventually lead to officers who have been solely employed due to skin colour doubting their own abilities. It will only provoke resentment from white officers who will in effect be discriminated against because of their colour. They use the term positive action but it is without a doubt positive discrimination. The police department even have a black union where non black officers can only be non full members. That means less benefits for non black officers, making them in effect second class members. This latest drive is just another excuse to appease ethnic groups and politically correct do gooders. Crime in the ethnic community will not be changed by employing police from a specific ethnic background but by addressing a whole other area of social values.

Nope, it has been proved that tense situations are better dealt with if there is a woman or a officer of the persons own ethnic background there. I'm all for it, personally. There have been so many cases of police brutality against black and asian people that something must be done to regain the trust of these communities, ie, encouraging them to be police officers themselves.

Although, I probably would say that, being the pathetic so-called do-gooder that I am. Do you know, people like me probably do more harm to this great country than the most vile racist you could imagine.

;)

Originally posted by kathythebean

Although, I probably would say that, being the pathetic so-called do-gooder that I am. Do you know, people like me probably do more harm to this great country than the most vile racist you could imagine.

;)

Who said you were a pathetic do gooder :confused: Childish yes if the above post is anything to go by.

In a rape case or a domestic crime I am sure that might be the case, but your average criminal sees a uniform and doesnt care a toss about skin pigment. Maybe we should hire some wheelchair bound police officers to attend crimes committed against disabled people. I believe political correctness itself is doing more harm to this country than your so called "vile racists" by creating racial animosity and fuelling existing racial tendencies.

Anyway this thread should be in general chit chat surely as it deserves better coverage. Or would that be too politically incorrect for some users to accept. Can a users make a request for a moderator to move a thread or does it have to be the original poster, I aint ever tried it before.

This thread could be closed.

It was meant as an informative post 7 days ago, not to turn into some race thing again.

Informative, maybe. Emotive, definately. Race is being used to crush freedom of speech when it should be used as a learning tool for all of us. If a thread is closed simply because a race issue is being discussed then it can only serve to reinforce racist feelings. If the thread contains blatant racism then maybe it should be closed.

eh? Non white applicants will be given priority? Does this mean that decades of institutionalised racism and bullying of BME officers has over night been reversed?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH :loopy:

jeez, if anyone thinks there still isn't racism in the police force and that non white applicants are somehow favoured over white applicants, they need to open thier eyes somewhat.