Favourite Authors

Jack Olsen

Christopher Berry-Dee

Shaun Hutson.

I see a pattern emerging here! :o

I'm actually writing a script / diary based fiction book on a British Serial Killer. So I'm doing a bit of research.

I also need to start reading up on police books and how they solve crimes and track serial killers (the more factual the better) so if you know of some good reading I would be gratefull!

Neil Gaiman - I like all his stuff especially 'The Sandman' series.

Alistair Reynolds - Revalation Space etc. Probably one of the base SciFi writes around at the moment.

Nomme

Originally posted by spook1210

DB - not sure on the Police murder book front but I can recommend 'The Hunt for Britain's Paedophiles' by Bob Long and DCI Bob McLaughlin which accompanied a BBC2 programme. Not particularly easy reading due to the subject matter but very informative.

I'll have a nose around for some others for you!

Not sure if I could stomach that one. With the subject n all.... I'd would probably p*** me off more than owt.

Besides need to keep it more on the killer side of things. To get it as authentic as possible!

Jeffrey Deaver

If you want a good cyber crime novel checkout "The Blue Nowhere"

Best book I have read in ages.

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Not sure if I could stomach that one. With the subject n all.... I'd would probably p*** me off more than owt.

Besides need to keep it more on the killer side of things. To get it as authentic as possible!

Haven't read any myself but Patricia Cornwall has written loads of Forensic pathology type novels. They are supossed to be very good. She recently did one about Jack The Ripper which may be of interest to you.

Nomme

Terry Pratchett has to be one of my top ones.

Although I only re-read most of them now - love getting new ones so can read something for 1st time though.

And always like George Orwell - especially 'DOwn & Out in Paris + London' - try it its wicked.

Patricia Cornwell is excellent. I have read all of Medical Examiner books. I'm just waiting for the next one.

She writes about a lady called Kay Scarpetta who is a medical examiner. They are written with great accuracy and detail.

I finished the last one over 18 months ago and sadly she hasn't yet brought another one out.

Marian Keyes and Stephen King!

Come one LouiseB, this thread is made for you! :D

Just read

"Hollow Chocolotae Bunnies of the Apocalypse" by Robert Rankin ('The Drinking Man's H.G.Wells')

Utterly mad, quite brilliant, very funny - if you like that sort of thing. If you don't like that sort of thing, you might find the in-jokes within in-jokes a bit tiresome.

Reading (for the umpteenth time)

"Sirens of Titan" by Kurt Vonnegut Jr, who has never written a bad book.

also

"Bad, bad toys for bad, bad boys" by Will Self - Short stories, strange and unsettling

"The sacred art of stealing" by Christopher Brookmyre

If you like fast paced crime fiction and you haven't tried Christopher Brookmyre, then give it a shot - a kind of Scottish Carl Hiaasen - in your face, funny, graphic and begging for a film option. This book features a diminuitive rangers supporting asian woman DI in glasgow puzzling out a dadaist bank robbery - great stuff.