Clive Betts MP

What do you all think about the behaviour of one of our local MPs? Is he suitable material to be a Member of Parliament after recent revelations? I think the issue of Mr Betts being gay is a complete red herring and is being used by many to cover the more serious implications of his behaviour.

I am not homophobic and do not believe that a persons sexual preference(s) should have any bearing on their suitabilty to do a particular job. I do however believe that Mr Betts's behaviour has shown him to be a very poor judge of character and a complete fool to himself.

If he does not resign or is not deselected by the local labour party then I believe that the people will give him the boot at the next election.

Your thoughts?

I do however believe that Mr Betts's behaviour has shown him to be a very poor judge of character and a complete fool to himself.

Are you telling me you have never made a misjudgement or made a complete fool of yourself? Let those without sin cast the first stone I believe the saying goes.

Forgive me if I am wrong - but at the end of the day are we all not human and prone to HUGE bad judgements ourselves?

Do we wish to have perfect government representatives - because i do not believe that is possible. At the end of the day one MP is as bad/good as the rest.

I don't really know who this guy betts is nor do I take much notice of the hype people love to throw around.

my 2p worth

Moon Maiden

it's a complete non-story as far as i can tell..

What he does in his private life is his business. However, I do agree that now the knowledge is made public by the Daily Fail I have to agree that he has made a very bad judgement.

Unlike some of us in lesser jobs, his decisions affect all our lives and he gets paid very highly for this. His judgements and decisions on public morality carry very great weight. If he is found to be making poor judgements in his private life, surely that can be seen to affect how good a job he does for us the electorate?

How he learns from his mistake will show him to be the learned person we hold him out to be or the fool that others brand him.

The jury is out.

i think him making a slight mistake is a bit of an understatement :/

i mean FGS he took his "boyfriend/employee" round the house of commons and "showed him off" to fellow MP's :|

I really couldn't care less what Betts does. It his entirely his business and nobody elses. I never could understand why Clinton got so much heat over his problems with Monica, once again I think it's his business.

I had a mate who was a Policeman and he told me over 12 years ago that they were told by their Inspector at the time that if they found Mr Betts in any kind of compromising positions with another man they were told to look and walk the other way. So much for everybody being equal in the eyes of the law (I dont think so )

Originally posted by JonHarrison

What he does in his private life is his business. However, I do agree that now the knowledge is made public by the Daily Fail I have to agree that he has made a very bad judgement.

Unlike some of us in lesser jobs, his decisions affect all our lives and he gets paid very highly for this. His judgements and decisions on public morality carry very great weight. If he is found to be making poor judgements in his private life, surely that can be seen to affect how good a job he does for us the electorate?

How he learns from his mistake will show him to be the learned person we hold him out to be or the fool that others brand him.

The jury is out.

When it comes from the Daily Mail, if ever a paper was hateful towards anything that isn't Conservative with a capital C, then that paper is it. It has a murky past which includes using a forged Zinoviev letter to make it out that the Labour Party is in league with the Bolsheviks back in 1924. In 1934, it ran the headline "Hurrah for the Blackshirts" and told us that Britain needs a leader with the sense of purpose and direction as Hitler and Mussolini. Throughout the Thatcher and Major years, it defended the Tories through thick and thin. Its response at the time to 3.5 million unemployed, 15% interest rates, record repossessions, negative equity - all of which happened under the Tories - was to churn out a pack of lies and smears to attack Labour. It cares not a jot about ordinary people. That rag is a sick joke, just like it has been for over 100 years.

Originally posted by lazarus

I had a mate who was a Policeman and he told me over 12 years ago that they were told by their Inspector at the time that if they found Mr Betts in any kind of compromising positions with another man they were told to look and walk the other way. So much for everybody being equal in the eyes of the law (I dont think so )

Depends on whether he is comitting a crime or not as to whether that is true.

Gay sex between consenting adults in private is perfectly legal. In a public place might be a different matter....

Originally posted by RPG

i think him making a slight mistake is a bit of an understatement :/

i mean FGS he took his "boyfriend/employee" round the house of commons and "showed him off" to fellow MP's :|

Excuse me if I'm being thick but what is so terrible about that?

I've been out of the country and know nothing about the article or its contents.

However, I've found Clive Betts to be a hard-working, capable and competent MP. So if the article is about his private life then I have no interest in it.

wasn't there some issues about Betts abusing his position to influence the boyfriends work permit application? Its ages ago and he seemed to ride out (ironic) the storm but is it back in the media again?