Dog and Partridge, Trippet Lane

Does anyone know if the Landlady, Anne Flynn, is still running the "Dog and Partridge" pub in Trippet Lane?

I intend to move back to Sheffield and seek work as a teacher very soon. I remember many, many great weekend nights in this pub when I was living/working in the city about 10 years ago!

By the way I'd be very interested in finding out about things, events and people Irish in and around Sheffield prior to my move up there next Summer. I'm on the look-out for buying my first house so I'd appreciate any hel, advice or guidance anyone can offer!

Many, many thanks!!!!

Damian Grant

Originally posted by dgrant

Does anyone know if the Landlady, Anne Flynn, is still running the "Dog and Partridge" pub in Trippet Lane?

I intend to move back to Sheffield and seek work as a teacher very soon. I remember many, many great weekend nights in this pub when I was living/working in the city about 10 years ago!

By the way I'd be very interested in finding out about things, events and people Irish in and around Sheffield prior to my move up there next Summer. I'm on the look-out for buying my first house so I'd appreciate any hel, advice or guidance anyone can offer!

Many, many thanks!!!!

Damian Grant

Hi Damian, I went in the D&P a couple of weeks ago for the first time in 20 years and believe it or not not a thing has changed. The land lady has been there for 32 years and the Guinness is still the best in the world.

One of the very few untouched drinking establishments left. Long live the Dog & Partridge.

Yep great pub and a nice pint of the black stuff, still have traditional music sessions and irish folk jams.

As for houses the best thing to do is check out some of the other threads in Moving To Sheffield Forum. There is a lot of good stuff in there re areas and stuff.

Yes Ann is still there, she owns the Grapes too.

For other things Irish, you could contact Cara, the Irish Forum in Sheffield, based at the Workstation near the National unpopular centre for Popular music, who help the Irish with housing....usually first generation Irish, but worth trying. Ask for Karen and tell her I sent you. She drinks in my pub.

It's great to hear that Ann Flynn is still running the Dog & Partridge and that it hasn't changed. I worked there in about 1991-92 and loved it, remembering great sessions and wonderful characters, Eddie on his fiddle was the one that stands out. Ann was like a mother to me and it is in part due to my times at that pub that I am now living in Ireland.

Speaking of music does anyone know if Eoin Tether and Patrick Walker are still on the music scene in Sheffield, or anywhere else? Both great musicians and it would be good to know they were still bringing their skills to peoples ears.

Paula - living in Co Kerry, Ireland

Eoin is a regular in my pub. He has just reformed Dead by Friday (who also play in the pub) and is still very much on the scene!

I went on tour of the city centre pubs yesterday and suffered the usual mediocre beer, rude and indifferent service and the plasma screens spewing out the ear-splitting rubbish that purports to be music nowadays. I finished up in The Dog and Partridge. Thank goodness that pub never changes.

I had two pints of Magnet beer that tasted like ambrosia. The head stuck to the sides of the glass all the way down. A smiling pleasant barmaid who made an old man feel welcome served me. As I sat there, listening to the cheerful Irish music playing gently in the background I realised that there might be some hope for the human race after all.

The Guinness is still the best, the craic is as good as ever, the regulars are still around and the diddlies are still playing.

There is a superb double album available from the Dog at the moment featuring some of the old favourites, 39 tracks in all sung by the likes of Eion Tether, Maurice Malone, Chris Eggerton, Kevin Stephenson, Tom Boulding and more talent than you can a shake a stick at, It costs fifteen quid from Ann and is two C.D's worth of pure magic and the proceeds go to charity, well, it is the D&P after all.

The heart still beats in the old city

long may it prevail.

Do they still sing anti British stuff and have it written on the bog walls? Even though the locals are mostly middle class English people.

p.s. I know mad maurice and the thought of paying to listen to his voice.....well

Many, many thanks!!!!

Damian Grant

Anne is giving up at the D & P my Dad John Dowling has been hosting Irish Music Sessions on Monday nights for years he's gutted:mad::mad:

Anne is giving up at the D & P
Oh no! When? Has she decided to retire? I'd like to call in and wish her well. My daughter and her son were in the same class at nursery and went through primary together.

Oh no! When? Has she decided to retire? I'd like to call in and wish her well. My daughter and her son were in the same class at nursery and went through primary together.

She's Taking over the Grapes next door almost so not too bad :);)