View Full Version : Cheap Duvet/Quilt

vikki
14-04-2008, 20:58
where can i get one cheap it is only for my dog to put in her cage as she wrecks beds but quilts tend to last longer not for ever hence why i would like one cheap.

pennypie
14-04-2008, 20:59
Asda - quilt and pillow for 5!

Daven
15-04-2008, 07:56
Asda - quilt and pillow for 5!

Primark and Matalan have similar offers.

jaiden
15-04-2008, 07:58
dont put her in a cage , she might not get as stressed and not rip the quilt up .

Moonbird
15-04-2008, 08:22
dont put her in a cage , she might not get as stressed and not rip the quilt up .

No she might rip up the whole house instead!

jaiden
15-04-2008, 08:26
I dont know the ops circumstances but I think any dog owners who lock dogs up in cages all day while they are out at work should be prosecuted for cruelty .
If you dont have the time to spend on a pet dont get one.
Dogs are very time consuming and demanding .

Moonbird
15-04-2008, 08:32
I dont know the ops circumstances but I think any dog owners who lock dogs up in cages all day while they are out at work should be prosecuted for cruelty .

Dogs should not be left in a crate for more than 3/4 hours at a stretch, certainly not all day.
I do think that your assuming a lot though, there is no reason to think that Vikki leaves her dog in there all day at all.
My dog can shred a duvet in under 5 mins in or out of a crate if she is in the mood :rolleyes:

jaiden
15-04-2008, 08:39
Dogs should not be left in a crate for more than 3/4 hours at a stretch, certainly not all day.
I do think that your assuming a lot though, there is no reason to think that Vikki leaves her dog in there all day at all.
My dog can shred a duvet in under 5 mins in or out of a crate if she is in the mood :rolleyes:

I did say I don't know the opps circumstances . my reply was more to you moonbird . I was making a general comment on keeping dogs in cages . why not the bathroom or toilet ? .

Moonbird
15-04-2008, 08:58
I did say I don't know the opps circumstances . my reply was more to you moonbird . I was making a general comment on keeping dogs in cages . why not the bathroom or toilet ? .

Well thats likely to be such a tiny space where is the difference? (dog wouldn't even fit in mine).
The crate can be a part of the dogs natural living area where he spends most of his time with the family anyway and would feel more comfortable, if I locked my dog in a room that she was not used to she would not be grateful she would raise merry hell :hihi:
Also the crate is there all of the time with the door open and the dog comes to just think of it as his bedroom really, one of mine (that I never need to crate) makes a bee line for the crate and she absolutely loves it in there, because its warm, cosy and private and covered over with a blanket on 3 sides...its not a punishment, but it means that you can just leave the dog without worrying for a couple of hours... its also for the safety of the dog too you know.

vikki
15-04-2008, 09:23

my dog is not stressed she is a staffy x who diggs at her bed to get comfy she loves her cage and the door is always open she sleeps in there at night and when i go out she doesnt rip the house up but is very lazy if she is out woth the other dog she pees on the floor because she cant be bothered to hold it if she is in her cage she doesnt soil her bed at all. please dont just jump to conclusions. she is a well loved dog that loves her cage she would rather be in that than laid anywhere else.

duckweed
15-04-2008, 11:51
In my experience it is boredom that leads a dog to shred things. Suggestions are give the dog something to chew that won't do it any harm such as cowhide chews. Leave the TV or radio on and don't leave the dog for too long a time on its own. I found my dog wouldn't chew other things when she had a stick to chew on but I was worried about her getting splinters and found cowheels from a petshop. They take quite a long time to chew through and are good for the dogs teeth. She never chewed anything else again.

vikki
15-04-2008, 11:57
she doesnt chew she moves the bed around so that it is more comfortable for her.

jaiden
15-04-2008, 11:59
my dog is not stressed she is a staffy x who diggs at her bed to get comfy she loves her cage and the door is always open she sleeps in there at night and when i go out she doesnt rip the house up but is very lazy if she is out woth the other dog she pees on the floor because she cant be bothered to hold it if she is in her cage she doesnt soil her bed at all. please dont just jump to conclusions. she is a well loved dog that loves her cage she would rather be in that than laid anywhere else.

a cage with the door open is different to one which is locked .

vikki
15-04-2008, 14:25
a cage with the door open is different to one which is locked .

she is locked in when im out and when i go to bed and she is still the same.

fyy123
15-04-2008, 15:32

Great to see someone who actually talks a lot of sense:) and my thoughts exactly, but I fear it is wasted as a lot of members in the pet section feel it is ok to lock their dogs up in a cage out of sight and out of mind than actually spend time to train them correctly. What sad lives these dogs must lead. My dog goes everywhere with me because she is classed as part of the family. It would be unthinkable to lock your child in a cage while you go out or go to bed but it's ok to do it to your dogs because they can't speak out and can be replaced at the click of a finger.

jaiden
15-04-2008, 15:35
Great to see someone who actually talks a lot of sense:) and my thoughts exactly, but I fear it is wasted as a lot of members in the pet section feel it is ok to lock their dogs up in a cage out of sight and out of mind than actually spend time to train them correctly. What sad lives these dogs must lead. My dog goes everywhere with me because she is classed as part of the family. It would be unthinkable to lock your child in a cage while you go out or go to bed but it's ok to do it to your dogs because they can't speak out and can be replaced at the click of a finger.

Sure your not my wife ?.:hihi::hihi:
I totaly agree with you :thumbsup:

can't be my wife we never agree

vikki
15-04-2008, 16:12
you do not know me or my dog my dog is happy to go in and out of her cage i dont just lock her up for the fun of it. she enjoys being in her cage at time i cannot take her with me.

labyrinth what do you do with your dog while you pop to do some shopping?

does this look like a dog that doesnt like being in a cage http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc5/vikkibiggin/Image085.jpg

and here is the result of digging around in the quilt ripping it and making it in to a nice top. which is why i need a new one
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc5/vikkibiggin/Image087.jpg

and yes she is locked in on the last picture as i had been shopping.

SallyLaLaLa
15-04-2008, 23:14
you do not know me or my dog my dog is happy to go in and out of her cage i dont just lock her up for the fun of it. she enjoys being in her cage at time i cannot take her with me.

does this look like a dog that doesnt like being in a cage http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc5/vikkibiggin/Image085.jpg

and here is the result of digging around in the quilt ripping it and making it in to a nice top. which is why i need a new one

Oh Vikki that last picture is priceless.

fyy123
16-04-2008, 00:10

As you asked Vikki - she stays in my people carrier usually with my son and surrounded by her car toys, she has a fold up water dish and always fresh water in her spray bottle. She isn't locked up in a cage, she has the whole of the back seats which are considerably bigger than that small cage you keep your dog locked up in.
It's even worse that I expected:( .. I would have thought if you kept your dog locked up in a cage you would at least make sure it has room to move about in a bit! I see no toys, no kong, not even a water dish! does the dog go without access to water when you leave it in there? No toys so how is it supposed to amuse itself? ..and you wonder why it distroys it's bedding:hihi: I really think people should have to pass a test before they are allowed to keep pets, I really do.:rolleyes:

Strix
16-04-2008, 00:39
that crate is the right size for that dog labyrinth - there is no need for such comments

a dog who has a larger than prescribed cage is often inclined to make themselves an en suite arrangement - which isn't the idea at all

leaving a dog alone with toys to chew can be a recipe for disaster - as you've just left your dog something it can choke on - and vikki's dog would make short work of destroying even a kong - given the breed

vikki has already stated that her dog isn't destroying the bedding through boredom - just through nesting - it's just that some dogs make a better job of it than others

maybe you could stick to forum rules and just stick to the topic instead of making a thread within a thread?

vikki - have you tried Chiltern Mills at Crystal Peaks? or Asda?

have you tried a more durable cover for the quilt at all? mind you - you'd probably need the stuff they make lorry curtains out of, and that's not going to be very comfy! ;)

vikki
16-04-2008, 06:47
Thanks Strix

Labyrinth that cage could fit a labrador in it comfortabley she has a water bowel in there you cannot see it she is a dog that doesnt play with toys unless she is destroying them for fun so i wouldnt be responsible to leave her in there with a toy to choke on would i know.

fyy123
16-04-2008, 10:55
that crate is the right size for that dog labyrinth - there is no need for such comments

a dog who has a larger than prescribed cage is often inclined to make themselves an en suite arrangement - which isn't the idea at all

leaving a dog alone with toys to chew can be a recipe for disaster - as you've just left your dog something it can choke on - and vikki's dog would make short work of destroying even a kong - given the breed

vikki has already stated that her dog isn't destroying the bedding through boredom - just through nesting - it's just that some dogs make a better job of it than others

maybe you could stick to forum rules and just stick to the topic instead of making a thread within a thread?

vikki - have you tried Chiltern Mills at Crystal Peaks? or Asda?

have you tried a more durable cover for the quilt at all? mind you - you'd probably need the stuff they make lorry curtains out of, and that's not going to be very comfy! ;)

Thanks for your comments Strix but seeing as you have already stated on another thread that you also keep your dog locked in a cage you comments mean very little. Have you not visited the pet shop recently? you obviously haven't see all the indestructable toys you can buy these days. Her dog is more likely to choke on the foam from the quilt it is distroying which is probably through boredom or stress. It's a bit too late to say there is a water bowl in there Vikki, Where is it? the quilt fills the whole of the cage .. and a cage big enough to fit a lab in??? LOL it isn't even big enough for my shih tzu let along the dog you keep in there. I really think those that keep their pets locked away in cages should try a prison cell for 24 hours. Mind you even that would be too good for some, at least you can get up and walk around a prison cell - the dog barely has enough room to turn around.:mad:

Strix
16-04-2008, 11:37
who keeps their dog locked in a cage? kindly link that thread if you're going to make wild accusations :rolleyes:

oh, and 'indestructible' has small print to it - which includes not leaving a dog unattended with such items - and as Vikki has an EBT, there is no other breed more likely to destroy an 'indestructible' toy

you may believe that you are 'entitled' to your opinion, but that does not make you 'right' by a long chalk

fyy123
16-04-2008, 12:32
who keeps their dog locked in a cage? kindly link that thread if you're going to make wild accusations :rolleyes:

oh, and 'indestructible' has small print to it - which includes not leaving a dog unattended with such items - and as Vikki has an EBT, there is no other breed more likely to destroy an 'indestructible' toy

you may believe that you are 'entitled' to your opinion, but that does not make you 'right' by a long chalk:

Nor does it make you a know it all! If you read my first statement I was agreeing with another members comments, I did NOT make any attempt to judge Vikki but people as a whole who think it is ok to stick their dog in a cage as a solution to dealing with their bad behaviour. It is far better to spend time training the dog, than to take the selfish option and stick them in a cage, crate, kennel or whatever. That is my opinion which I am entitled to and if you think it is wrong then that is also fine but it doesn't mean everyone agrees with you either. In my opinion it is cruel to keep a dog locked up in such a small space that it is unable to move around in. You yourself even quote that.....

Oh I agree that in the wrong hands a crate is a useful tool for inflicting harm on a dog, but there are those who state that crates are cruel full stop

I've currently got a softcrate war going on in our house - Brude and Clive have one each, but there seems to be some sort of territory war going on over who gets to sleep in which one :rolleyes:

vikki
16-04-2008, 18:12
can i just get a few things straight

1. my dog is not put in a cage for any sort of punishment

2. my dog loves her cage.

3. the cage could easily fit a labrador in it (my girl is only a staffy X mini EBT)

4. we need a new quilt beacuse she digs her bed to move it around to get comfy NOT because she chews or shreds her bed she just scraps around to nest in and there for the stuff in side goes allover the kitchen.

if any one knows where i can get a cheap quilt from then please tell me but do not lecture me on how to keep my dog that is happy and has been for the last 7 years and will be for the rest of her life.

Thank you.

Moonbird
16-04-2008, 18:53
I wouldn't worry about it Vikki from what I can see some are the comments are just those of someone who seems to have a bit of "an axe to grind with members of the pet group.
Not everyone can or even wants to take their dog with them everywhere they go, making sure that they are safe and comfortable does not make them cruel.
Crates are often used as a training aid and not everyone even uses them forever, some dogs for what ever reason are so destructive and have issues so bad that the only other alternative for people in the short term would be to part company with them... so whats best a couple of hours in a safe cosy place or a few months in a dog pound folowed by a lethal injection because no one wants a problem dog.
Not everyone has had their dogs from a puppy, not all dogs are the same, there is no one rule for training a dog.

SallyLaLaLa
16-04-2008, 20:52
Who said she was left without water? She was left in a safe space she knew and felt calm in. Leaving your dog for a couple of hours doesn't mean you 'don't spend any time' with your pet.

medusa
16-04-2008, 22:32
Now seems an opportune moment to remind everyone that posting personal attacks on other forum users is against forum rules and won't be tolerated.

You may disagree with someone but you may not insult them.

Ally_Fraser
17-04-2008, 07:49
I've always found dogs enjoy having their own little retreat like a crate to be honest, I mean you've got to be sensible and not keep em in there 24 hours a day - and I'm sure no-one on here would do anything like that - but they do find it very relaxing to have a cosy little den they can call their own.

vikki
22-04-2008, 16:31
for those who tell me i shouldnt use a cage please read the link and then start to tell me once again i shouldnt use one.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1553&articleid=1134

fyy123
22-04-2008, 17:52
Vikki, just because u find some crap on the web doesn't make it right hell for every link you can find FOR caging you can one AGAINST it eg. http://www.dog-and-cat-training.com/other-pets/Should_Animals_and_Birds_never_be_kept_in_cages.ht ml

...anyway because we believe that anaimals do have rights we've all got axes to grind against the pet section apparently:loopy: so we'll say no more!

vikki
22-04-2008, 17:58
LOL im just dont understand why leaving my dog in a cgae makes me so bad instead i could take her every where with me so that when it comes to a time where i have to leave her she will not know whats hit her.

davedrfc
22-04-2008, 19:04
She was only asking where to buy a cheap quilt from and it descends into her being accused of being a bad pet owner!!

This is why I think very carefully before posting anything on here, as inevitably you get the do-gooders preaching to you

littleblue
22-04-2008, 21:35
LOL im just dont understand why leaving my dog in a cgae makes me so bad instead i could take her every where with me so that when it comes to a time where i have to leave her she will not know whats hit her.

If its any conciliation, my rabbit will be cage trained (goes in it when we're out and at night and open all day incase he wants to pop in on his own for a snooze)

And duvet wise, even M&S have them in for about 5 (might be 6) Pretty much any supermarket or department store has cheap polyester duvets. Sainsbury's double ones are 6.98 so I imagine the singles would be a lot cheaper.

Strix
23-04-2008, 07:18
Vikki, just because u find some crap on the web doesn't make it right hell for every link you can find FOR caging you can one AGAINST it eg. http://www.dog-and-cat-training.com/other-pets/Should_Animals_and_Birds_never_be_kept_in_cages.ht ml

...anyway because we believe that anaimals do have rights we've all got axes to grind against the pet section apparently:loopy: so we'll say no more!
hang on - that link doesn't actually refer to any evidence of any description, but is a whole heap of personal speculation - which basically makes the point that it's cruel to keep pets at all!

vikki
23-04-2008, 08:34
all i wanted is to know where to get a cheap quilt or maybe i could just let her sleep on the plastic bottom with out any bedding then i would be cruel!