High Hazels Park

Does anybody remember the little shop at the side of High Hazels Park that used to sell candy floss.

No but I remember the BMX track, is that still there?

Used to catch the 52 from the Badger down to Darnal, quick candy floss then to the fair.

There used to be a fair at the side of the library in woodhouse before they built the Skelton.

Happy days.

Yes I remember it well.I lived on Beaumont Rd North,I`d get a 71 down to Darnell and then walk up that bloody hill up to the shop in the park.Fond memories.

about30 years ago i remember as a small kid going playing in high hazels park. the reason it sticks in my mind is because there was a boating lake in there and one winter in the 70s it became frozen over. me and a few mates were messing about on the ice when i fell thro it, luckily it wasnt very deep but i got a good soaking and a good hiding when i got home. i havnt been 2 this park 4 years since we moved off attercliffe and i just wondered if it is still there . thanks

I also remember going to a bonfire there on Guy Fawkes night.

l remember it well they used to hire out bicycles by the hour .

l also remember a tree in the park with a horse shoe wedged into it claimed to be off Dick Turpins (The highway mans) horse it was

certainly a very old shoe as the tree had grown around it.

We also used to go fishing for sticklebacks in the duck pond by the band stand. Boy, is there anyone as old as me out there

I remember the shop really well. They also used to sell pop and used cleaned out Sutherlands potted meat jars as glasses.

My friend fell in the boating lake too and we had to walk all the way home to Richmond Road with her soaking wet thorugh and covered in weeds.

Originally posted by Lickszz

No , it is not there any l9onger as they filled it all in when they made the golfing area larger. you can say that the golf course now takes praticaly all of the high hazels park at Darnall.

julie

Originally posted by Lickszz

No the bmx track has also gone as the boating lake has and the chess pieces which used to be at the side of the bowling green and the pitch and putt. all this has gone because they said that the golf course was not big enough.

Originally posted by juliediane

No the bmx track has also gone as the boating lake has and the chess pieces which used to be at the side of the bowling green and the pitch and putt. all this has gone because they said that the golf course was not big enough.

golf! ugh! a good walk, spoilt!

PT