Sports In Sheffield

I feel I have to write on this. I'm an ice hockey fan. I go to every home game of the Sheffield Steelers and lots of away ones too. We've just won 2 trophies, the Challenge Cup and then the League Championship. We're now going for the Play Offs, which if we win means another Grand Slam!

I still can't understand why when the Steelers play at home, we can't pull in the big crowds we used to have in the "old days!" I suppose I'm on here just to say that you don't know what you're missing!! We've got the best ice hockey team in the Superleague right on our doorstep and yet we only see the same faces week in week out!! We've got offers on at the minute, Quid a Kid with groups of more than 10 kids. All you have to do is get intouch with the Hallam FM Arena. What other team gets 2000 fans greeting them back 'home' at midnight in the freezing cold weather when they win a trophy? Deffinately not football!! Come on, give it a try!! People seem to think it's Fighting on Ice, it's not. Come along and see what you think... I can guarantee you'll be hooked. Sorry to rant!!

Chloé

Originally posted by "Chloe"

I feel I have to write on this. I'm an ice hockey fan. I go to every home game of the Sheffield Steelers and lots of away ones too. We've just won 2 trophies, the Challenge Cup and then the League Championship. We're now going for the Play Offs, which if we win means another Grand Slam!

I still can't understand why when the Steelers play at home, we can't pull in the big crowds we used to have in the "old days!" I suppose I'm on here just to say that you don't know what you're missing!! We've got the best ice hockey team in the Superleague right on our doorstep and yet we only see the same faces week in week out!! We've got offers on at the minute, Quid a Kid with groups of more than 10 kids. All you have to do is get intouch with the Hallam FM Arena. What other team gets 2000 fans greeting them back 'home' at midnight in the freezing cold weather when they win a trophy? Deffinately not football!! Come on, give it a try!! People seem to think it's Fighting on Ice, it's not. Come along and see what you think... I can guarantee you'll be hooked. Sorry to rant!!

Chloé

It was popular at first but I think that was like a novelty and I think it's worse off. The prices seem to be climbing just like football as well.

I'd rather pay £12/£8/£6 to watch Steelers who are actually going somewhere than £20 to watch a football match where the teams aren't going anywhere or winning anything. Go to Steelers you get a seat, warmth, a great atmosphere and no hooliganism! Go to a United/Wednesday match for is it £20?? And what do you get? A seat out in the open 'fresh air' of Sheffield, a cold, hooliganism. Fair enough, I'm not saying that all football matches have trouble but look at the one where that young Emma Barker got hit in the face with a flare. The Steelers have a much better family atmosphere, and it's cheaper!! I know where I'd rather go...

Chloé

Originally posted by "Chloe"

I'd rather pay £12/£8/£6 to watch Steelers who are actually going somewhere than £20 to watch a football match where the teams aren't going anywhere or winning anything. Go to Steelers you get a seat, warmth, a great atmosphere and no hooliganism! Go to a United/Wednesday match for is it £20?? And what do you get? A seat out in the open 'fresh air' of Sheffield, a cold, hooliganism. Fair enough, I'm not saying that all football matches have trouble but look at the one where that young Emma Barker got hit in the face with a flare. The Steelers have a much better family atmosphere, and it's cheaper!! I know where I'd rather go...

Chloé

Well, I I think football is so overpriced these days and ice hockey seems to be trying to go the same way given half the chance. I won't pay for football anymore it's a rip off. especially when you can buy a VCR or DVD player for £50-60 pounds and to watch a Chelsea game is probably more than that. I know which is better value for money.

What also gets right up my nose.... how many times have you seen Steelers advertised on TV?? Not often, and it just so happens that if there is any advertising, it's negative!! For example, we had an incident with Nottingham last season, so called Black Friday, where all hell broke out (may I add this is an extreme rarity!) and every day for about a week, it was on Calendar. If I was someone thinking about coming to watch a Steelers game and I saw that, I know for a fact I wouldn't want to go, especially if I had children!! It never mentions the fact that the Steelers have won 2 trophies already, and have going on 3000 fans going to greet them back home every time they win a trophy!! Radio Sheffield have Seth Bennett commentating a few of our games and he does a great job, but it's not enough! We need new fans! Just give it a try!!

Chloé

Like all spectator sports there is a 'novelty value', both Sheffield football clubs can vouch for that, In 1993 the two clubs sold nearly 80,000 tickets for the Wembley Semi Final between them but do they get anywhere near 40,000 fans each, at their average game - no way !

Maybe The Steelers are a victim of their own success, they have won trophies so regularly that the 'novelty' spectators get bored with it. No doubt the current Steelers games are attended by the genuine die hard supporters and getting the numbers to attend like they did back in the 90s is not going to be easy, the club will have to work on it !