Childhood illnesses, jabs and operations

He has to go to Birmingham next week for an operation. We visited the hospital a month ago, and he was told that he will need to return. I've been told that he is on the provisional list for w/c 27.8.06. What I'm in a dilemma about is,

1. Do I tell him now to prepare him (but risk the appointment being cancelled, only to have to stress him out all over again).

2. Leave it till we get confirmation, but still give him time to prepare/stress about it.

3. Leave it till the night before and spring it on him.

He had to have a canula fitted when he was having tests, and although he was really really brave, he has said he isn't having any more needles - and still gets upset about the thought of having to stay in hospital.

That's a tough one but you know your son best. Is he likely to get stressed and wound up? Will he take your word for it if you tell him there's nothing to worry about? Can you butter him up about being so brave about canulas? And, although not always recommended, can you distract him by bribery? Perhaps you could offer him a much wanted toy if he is brave about it?

I couldn't possibly give any advice as I don't know your son but perhaps put yourself in his shoes and imagine how each scenario would feel.

I hope it all goes well.

Be honest and truthful with him.

Ask the person who puts the canular in not to tell him to expect a "Sharp scratch".

Let him/her give you the nod so you can distract him and it will be all done before he can feel it.

Good luck in such a worrying time.

Well, I decided to leave it for a little while. Thank goodness I did.His op has been deferred for another week, so I'm glad I didn't say anything. It is now going to be the week he goes back to school so he's going to miss a week or 2 but I'm just thankful that they don't think it's urgent enough to do immediately. We had a very worrying time when he was having an ultrasound and MRI, but they are fairly sure it's benign. I think I will wait until we get final confirmation before we broach the subject. I think he may be cheered up by getting an extra long school holiday!:D

The decision was taken out of my hands today when my cousin wished him good luck for Sunday/Monday. When we got in the car, he said, "what am I doing on Sunday, I must have forgotten"! Of course I explained what was going to happen, and can you believe the only thing worrying him is the fact that he will have to miss breakfast that day!!! I'm stressing about 101 other things relating to the whole thing and he just (typically) thinks of his stomach!:rolleyes:

Glad to hear that things are working themselves out alirosdan- there obviously was a right time for him to hear about it, and you've found it.

Another thing that may be of use at the time is that for children hospitals often put local anaesthetic cream on the backs of their hands so that the canulae are less of a scary prospect and you can tell them that the magic cream means they won't feel it.

Hopefully the rest of all of this will be as stress free as possible.

Thanks medusa. When he was having tests in July, he needed a canula and the magic cream was a god-send. He was just so brave. His bottom lip quivered a little when the needle went in and I have to admit that mine quivered a lot! I think he is the one who will get us through this and we will just follow his lead. He seems to be looking forward to playing some different play station games whilst he's in there. Will post how we went on when we get back on Mon or Tues.

That magic cream is brilliant don't worry. He will be fine positive thinking.

He had his op as planned, first thing Monday morning. By 12 o clock, he was eating soup, bread, chips and cheesecake!! He was absolutely wonderful.

We were told he had been administered an anaesthetic in his sciatic nerve, and his leg would be numb for up to 18 hours, saving him quite a lot of pain. He wasn't happy, saying he would have rather had pain than this numbness! He also told the doctor that he would have rather stayed awake to see what they were doing rather than be put to sleep!!

From lunchtime onwards he moaned (and moaned and moaned....) that he wanted to go home. Eventually they gave in and discharged him at 7pm. It wasn't easy driving him home from Birmingham especially as my sat nav wouldn't work (ended up on the m6 well on our way to Manchester, but that's another story).

It just goes to show that you have to take your lead from the kids. I had worried about everything, and he just sailed through it (well kind of - they prescribed 40mg of dihydrocodeine 4 x daily which is 10mg over the adult dose and he has reacted quite badly to it). It's lovely to have it over and done with - I think I've aged 10 years over the last 2 months!!

I'm really glad that all went well and that he sailed through like a trooper.

So glad to hear it went better than you expected. Hope everything is ok.

I'm pleased it's gone all right for you and little one. xx