Hot Chestnut Seller - Campo Lane

:?: Just to show there are bona-fide old farts using this forum I ask the question: Can you remember the Hot Chestnut seller who had a cart and sold the hot nuts opposite the bus stands on Campo lane in the 1950's and 60's? I can, and everytime I smell hot chestnuts (when you can get them) it takes me right back. Used to sit on the bus on the way home to Loxley trying to eat them but they were too hot! ooooooooh fantastic!

:) yes i remember him. We used to go to town just to get our hot chestnuts. Standing next to him with his hot fire in the winter keeping warm. Those were the days why we had to loose it ill never know. Nothings the same, we could go to town just to have a wonder around. Do you remember the pub called the elephant just up the road.

I think I do remember the pub called the Elephant, just on the coner of Campo Lane and Townend Street, opposite those old flats and next to where the Wisewood Bus (Nos 14 & 16) would start out from.

My Grandma had the Willow Tree pub up the street on Portobello Street, right next to the University, at the back of West Street. She was called Lizzie Wood and had been the land lady at the famous Red House, Solly Street, many years before that.

Any memories jogged?

:D Hi

We had a lot of fun in those days. There was also a pub on the other corner but i can't remember the name next to a picture house. We also went to the vine at the bottom of the moore. I used to work at the CWS shirt factory on west street. There's so much of our old sheffield gone for good , it makes me so sad. I remember the old rag and tag market. My gran took us in and put us on the seat in the corner to get us weighed. the woman charged 1 penny. I could go on forever proberbly can't remember all the names but such happy times.

I remember the pub you mentioned but not the name. I remember faces rather than names. Its so nice to talk to people who lived in the days where you could go out without fear. Sorry if i sound old im not im 54yrs old but i was a lot happier going out then than i am now.

I live at the moment at Arbourthorne, used to live at Nether Edge.

I hope we can keep in touch.

janet

I think you are suffering from premeture ageing! 54 yrs old and scared of going out? Get a life!

All these folk myths and morale panic. I still work for CWS, Co-op Group as they are called now, and although I don't live in Sheffield anymore I'm not house bound in the town in which I live.

I'm 52 yrs old, and feel very young. Just the same as Sheffield, the town where I live had several murders each month in the good ol' days (1890 - 1910). they had regular mob riots and the average age people lived to was 43! People had scant comfort in their lives and very little to look forward to. Poverty was endemic. My Grandad died in his 40's in Sheffield. He was one of the 'Little Mesters' with his own grinding wheel. But he died a miserable death of scilicosis.

So, forgive my rant and get out of your house and see Sheffield, I don't get to see it as much these days, but when I do it is alive, vibrant and wonderful in so many ways!

Hear Hear,

Wish I was fifty two again, at 52 I was full of the joys of spring, walking , cycling, swimming, dancing, and even now at seventyfive I would still do all those things if I could.

I still feel young in my mind, go on holiday, drive, take an interest of everything that goes on in the world, go out young man and enjoy the world before it is too late. unless you are ill of course in which case I appologise. :D:o:lol:

I'm young 44 year old (45 on wednesday infact, no cards or flowers please, just money) who can remember the hot chestnut seller who fitted nicely in a gap next to Harolds's furniture shop on Snig Hill. If we'd just missed a bus my Dad used to buy a bag and we'd share 'em.

his name was called roy black i went to school with him at springfield school of west street,and the pub the Elephant in Fit/Sq was a irish pub where we young kids used to pop in on a sat night but it was always playing the 40 shades of green Music, so off we went to the marples before our epic pub crawl up on west street finishing in the Raven now a students pub i think, also ive read about ppls thoughts on the old rag and tag market with its animal market along side now that was a place to see as a kid old edwards the pot man throwing up the pots and hiting the pots with a wood stick,come to think of it now i was born on the moor and you could shop near every where the town areas like heely/london road/attercliffe/woodseats all had lots of diff shops but sadly now sheffield is not the sheffield it was no charactors now like the Duke of Darnel or the dances like the lacarno/glossop road baths/and city hall,and the tram was always on time no matter what to get us to the english steel .

mikelee1spain

I remember the chess nut seller on Snigg hill we would buy our chessnuts before getting on the bus at Bridge Street terminas.

Did Harrolds become Cantors, we used to call in there every Saturday after going to the ABC minors picture show.

I think there was a cafe next door.

I never liked the chess nuts though as they set my asthma off. 8)

see below

Originally posted by "MMik"

I'm young 44 year old (45 on wednesday infact, no cards or flowers please, just money) who can remember the hot chestnut seller who fitted nicely in a gap next to Harolds's furniture shop on Snig Hill. If we'd just missed a bus my Dad used to buy a bag and we'd share 'em.

Hi Janet I have just seen your letter and I lived at nether edge and am a similar age I used to know a girl callad Janet who lived near me I lived at southviw rd just off sharrow lanein the early 60's I now live in Austalia wondered if you were the peson I knew! Clive Dyson :D