Pond fish - any experts?

I have a natural pond (no filters or lights etc) its around 8 x 6feet in diameter and 3feet deep. I have had gold fish and golden orf in it over the past few years and never had any problems before (apart from the Heron!). But over the last couple of months Ive had loads dieing on me. The pond is cleared regularly and has some plants in it along with a sturgeon who I havnt seen in yonks! its been great and my goldfish have had numerous babies and there has even been some rare speckled newts. Whats with the sudden deaths, I know its abit anal but I do care even if they are only fish??? can anyone assist. :confused::help:

Are there any symptoms or are they looking fine till you find them belly up?

I have had a few DOA(home from work) this winter, Mostly goldfish not my Koi, thank god my bank balance couldnt take it.

But they seem to have died of several differing causes.

Im wondering if its the dodgy winter weather one minute warm next minute iced over.

I have one goldfish that has been swimming upside down for nearly a year now we call him Aussie, I have tried treating him with everything you can buy off the shelves. But still hes upside down seems healthy other than that.

I also had a stugeon but they really dont like blanket weed, it gets stuck in there gills so that might answer where hes gone.

Oh I forgot to mention it might be over crowding, if you have too many fish compared to your surface area they wont get enough oxygen.

This could be caused by icing over or hot summer conditions(obviously not your problem)

we lost loads a couple of summers ago when our pump broke down and it was really hot.

Iv put an oxygen ball in now just in case.

Also they could be poisoning there own water with fish poo(nice) a water change is the only option here.

There is some stuff you can add to the pond called Bactalife, it balances the good and bad bacteria which helps breakdown the fish poo. Making your poison levels better. try it, it works!

Great, the sturgeon was lovely too - maybe hes at bottom but not feeding. I hope not. although to be honest I never saw him anyway. The fish generally look fine I did wonder wether there was some kind of bacterial problem. Ive left the pond over winter and not treated it because your suppose to leave them to their own devices apparently and not change the balance of the water. However maybe I need to do something. I understand there will always be casualties but not this many and in such a short time.:loopy:

It might be teaching a granny to suck eggs,but all through the wionter and early spring,I only feed wheatgerm pellets to all my fish.Apparently fish find it easier to digest and doesn't get stuck in their guts ,which can cause death.

So far all my fish look great and at last I can see my rudd at the bottom of the pond.I lost a great golden orfe last year which was due to lack of oxygen ,now have airstone in pond that runs all the time.

I always buy some baby fish every year just to enjoy watching them grow plus it's cheaper than buying fully grown ones.Also if one dies on you,you've only lost what it cost you £1 to £2 .

Originally posted by feederfil

It might be teaching a granny to suck eggs,but all through the wionter and early spring,I only feed wheatgerm pellets to all my fish.Apparently fish find it easier to digest and doesn't get stuck in their guts ,which can cause death.

So far all my fish look great and at last I can see my rudd at the bottom of the pond.I lost a great golden orfe last year which was due to lack of oxygen ,now have airstone in pond that runs all the time.

I always buy some baby fish every year just to enjoy watching them grow plus it's cheaper than buying fully grown ones.Also if one dies on you,you've only lost what it cost you £1 to £2 .

whats a AIRSTONE.... does this need electricity as my ponds right at the bottom of the garden and I dont fancy doing excavation work!! I dont feed my fish at all in the winter and probably wont start until the frost goes so it doesnt freeze in their bellies.... Maybe if my pond is not the right dimensions Ill have to fetch them all out in the spring and deepen my pond to 5feet -LOADS WORK THOUGH!!

I have a pond only 6ft by 3ft diameter and a mere 18 inches depth, in 3 years only have TWO dead fish. The current population is all goldfish of various ages, around 30 of them, crowded but they dont seem to have a problem with it. 2 deaths in 4 years is not bad going. We started with 4 adult glodfish which bred within 3 months to a healthy circa 30 fish, some of the baby fish obviously got eaten, but many survived. Simple air pump at the bottom keeps the air bubbling through the water all year round.

The pond seems completely self clearing, we have a selection of pond weeds which have grown and developed under their own steam, plus some proper water snails which seem to keep the whole thing very healthy. I used some water clearing stuff only once, last year, when the pond went bright green for a few weeks, and then it was fine. The water has never been changed as such, although in the summer it needs topping up with a couple of watering cans full each hot day due to evaporation.

maybe your pond needs a good clean out this year because if you have rotting vegitation at the bottom that can cause fish deaths

you could also post on here

yorkshire koi society

You say that the pond is natural, I take it that by this you mean it has no liner and is filled by water either by a natural spring or that the water table is very high in this area. If so have you considered contamination from things like pesticides etc, do you have any farmland or sewwrage plats etc nearby. As you say over winter generally fish do not need feeding although I have fed ming a little during milder days. During periods of prolonged frost where the pond is iced over it is important to keep an area of the pond ice free to allow gas exchange. This can be done by floating a ball in the pond.

The pond does have a liner and has various plants in, although I did take quite a few out last year so they didnt take all the oxygen. I dont have any electricity to the pond and last year decided to get a solar fountain to create some bubbles/oxygen but had to send it back cause it was crap!!! considering we dont get much sun. I dont think it could be contaminated although our house backs on to the Crematorium. Also the water table is really high and the bottom of the garden floods so water from the garden could have spilt over. Its something to consider. I actually got into the pond myself last year to clear the bottom (by hand) and nearly ended up on my jacksee after a massive toad swam to the top to see what I was doing!!!:hihi: :hihi: I know Ive got to get something to airiate it but want something which doesnt require electricity.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS AIRSTONE IS/DOES????

CHEERS

an airstone is just a stone with a hole & an air line to it.

if its an established pond u shouldn't need air - when was the last time u saw a fishing pond with a fountain.

upside down fish is usually swim bladder - could survive for yonks, one of mine is just at it now.

be careful feeding in cold or changeable weather (whegerm is ok in winter) the fish dont digest the feed pellets in cold weather and they rot in their intestines and poison them.

it could be loads of things affecting the fish but if they aren't swimming to the top gasping all the time than oxygen is ok.

could just be their time to go.