What is a reasonable distance to commute to work?

At the moment i am travelling 9 miles to work and nine mile back home making my daily commute 18 mile,my employer is relocating and my daily commute would increase to 74 miles per day. is this considered a reasonable distance to travel?

I would not do it. Unless you are on flexitime or can work from home for 3 days a week that would be terrible. That probably 4 hours a day traveling!

I am commuting to Leeds currently (for 2 and half years so far), means an hour each way, often a little more and a round trip of 65-70 miles.

I'll be very happy when I finally manage to knock it on the head. I certainly couldn't recommend that much time ( 50-80 minutes each way) every day traveling.

I would say that, if driving, an hours travel either way is ok. Obviousley depends on the job!

In your circumstances though, it would depend on whether you are getting a pay increase to take into account the extra mileage and time. If you aren't you maybe elagable for redundancey if you dont want to take up the position at the new location.

I do a 60 mile round trip each day and that eats into my time. If I could cut the journey, I would, it really does have an impact. Couuld you move to the edge of the city, a little closer or work you hours over four days..

Good luck with your choice

I would be getting on the M1 at junction 31 and getting off at 26 to get there for 9am and leaving work at 5.30 and getting back up to 31 at whatever time i hear on the radio everymorning about congestion at 29 going south so not sure how long it would take me.

I used to work at Hull, driving there and back every day is a killer.

3 hours some days, at rush hour.

I swapped jobs and had to drive to London twice a week another killer. Longest that took was 8 hours, sat on the M25 all day.

Swapping jobs again I now drive 10mins to work. Its amazing the amount of free time I have and the extra pocket money that used to be spent on fuel.

Remember travel time is your time, the longer the travel the earlier you have to get up and the later you get home.

I travel to the Peak District every day from Sheffield. Its a 60 mile round trip but its straight driving with no traffic and no motorways. It takes about 45 minutes to get to work but its a really beautiful country drive. If I was doing that distance on a motorway and having to sit in rush hour traffic I certainly wouldnt do it.

I would be getting on the M1 at junction 31 and getting off at 26 to get there for 9am and leaving work at 5.30 and getting back up to 31 at whatever time i hear on the radio everymorning about congestion at 29 going south so not sure how long it would take me.

Use the Dronfield bypass in top chesterfield a lot quicker taht the M1at rush hour.

i drive down the parkway and onto the motorway to J4 M18. 27 miles each way and it takes about 30 minutes.

not a problem but with the recent hikes in fuel prices and the proposed rises on the way its making my earnings less and less.............

I think you are allowed a trial period to see if the new commute is workable. See the link above.