View Full Version : What is a reasonable distance to commute to work?

Dilbert
12-03-2008, 10:07
At the moment i am travelling 9 miles to work and nine mile back home making my daily commute 18 mile,my employer is relocating and my daily commute would increase to 74 miles per day. is this considered a reasonable distance to travel?

neeeeeeeeeek
12-03-2008, 10:10
I would not do it. Unless you are on flexitime or can work from home for 3 days a week that would be terrible. That probably 4 hours a day traveling!

DaFoot
12-03-2008, 10:12
I am commuting to Leeds currently (for 2 and half years so far), means an hour each way, often a little more and a round trip of 65-70 miles.

I'll be very happy when I finally manage to knock it on the head. I certainly couldn't recommend that much time ( 50-80 minutes each way) every day traveling.

Camrat78
12-03-2008, 10:12
I would say that, if driving, an hours travel either way is ok. Obviousley depends on the job!
In your circumstances though, it would depend on whether you are getting a pay increase to take into account the extra mileage and time. If you aren't you maybe elagable for redundancey if you dont want to take up the position at the new location.

pippadoll
12-03-2008, 10:20
I do a 60 mile round trip each day and that eats into my time. If I could cut the journey, I would, it really does have an impact. Couuld you move to the edge of the city, a little closer or work you hours over four days..

Good luck with your choice

skanky
12-03-2008, 10:26
Seems it's undefined in law:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/EmploymentContractsAndConditions/DG_10028541

Dilbert
12-03-2008, 10:27
I would be getting on the M1 at junction 31 and getting off at 26 to get there for 9am and leaving work at 5.30 and getting back up to 31 at whatever time i hear on the radio everymorning about congestion at 29 going south so not sure how long it would take me.

holymoses
12-03-2008, 10:28
I used to work at Hull, driving there and back every day is a killer.
3 hours some days, at rush hour.
I swapped jobs and had to drive to London twice a week another killer. Longest that took was 8 hours, sat on the M25 all day.

Swapping jobs again I now drive 10mins to work. Its amazing the amount of free time I have and the extra pocket money that used to be spent on fuel.

Remember travel time is your time, the longer the travel the earlier you have to get up and the later you get home.

natg83
12-03-2008, 10:30
I travel to the Peak District every day from Sheffield. Its a 60 mile round trip but its straight driving with no traffic and no motorways. It takes about 45 minutes to get to work but its a really beautiful country drive. If I was doing that distance on a motorway and having to sit in rush hour traffic I certainly wouldnt do it.

holymoses
12-03-2008, 10:30
I would be getting on the M1 at junction 31 and getting off at 26 to get there for 9am and leaving work at 5.30 and getting back up to 31 at whatever time i hear on the radio everymorning about congestion at 29 going south so not sure how long it would take me.

Use the Dronfield bypass in top chesterfield a lot quicker taht the M1at rush hour.

iamthemoon
12-03-2008, 10:36
i drive down the parkway and onto the motorway to J4 M18. 27 miles each way and it takes about 30 minutes.

not a problem but with the recent hikes in fuel prices and the proposed rises on the way its making my earnings less and less.............

skanky
12-03-2008, 10:54

I think you are allowed a trial period to see if the new commute is workable. See the link above.

md25
12-03-2008, 10:56
An hour each way is at the upper limits for most people, Saying that I know a guy who commuted from London City to Rotterdam four days a week for a few months for a giant paycheque.

proplus
12-03-2008, 11:04
I currently work in Birmingham and live in Sheff, so I do a round trip of 170 miles a day. It was hard to start with, but you do become acustomed to it...
Youve got to think what do you want - more time at home / less money (potentially) or spend more time away working and make a bundle. For now, I do the latter, but no way will I be able to sustain a commute like this indefinitley. I miss my family so it does get on top at times.

Leg-end
12-03-2008, 11:05
I'm about to leave my current job which is 10 min down the road for a job in London which will see me take on a 1.5 hour journey each way... i think a lot depends on the job and is it worth the added time? Time spent in traffic or on a train can be mind numbing, but there are ways to put it to good use as well. Like reading or audio books is suppose. Although I’ve been driving back and forth to Sheffield for years and never once invested in an audio book!

neeeeeeeeeek
12-03-2008, 11:08

That stretch of motorway has always been shocking, not sure if the recent widening has made any difference but I doubt it. I guess you can try it for a bit but I don't envy you!

dinkdankdo10
12-03-2008, 11:10
I used to commute to south Notts - nightmare get up at 6 drive 1.5-2hrs oneway and back again, madness !!!!!

I switched jobs to commute to Manc - 1.5-2hrs madness !

anyway managed to get a better job and now work from home ;-) 2 second commute !!!!!

I will never ever ever commute more than 30mins, waste of my life, money, killed cars and I was never in a good mood !!!!

Dilbert
12-03-2008, 11:16
I think you are allowed a trial period to see if the new commute is workable. See the link above.

thanks for the link,have read up on a lot of the tupe law,i guess its either do the commute or get another job.:mad:

Twigmeister
12-03-2008, 11:22
I'm currently commuting to York daily. I thought it would be fairly managable, but it's a long day and tiring. If it was a permanent role then I'd be looking to cut it down, either by moving closer or getting a new job.

I drive, setting off around 0600, getting into York around 0700, and come home around 1745, getting in anywhere between 1830 and 1900, depending on traffic.

I set off so early because it winds me up sitting in the traffic leading up to the m62.

Darbees
12-03-2008, 15:21
I do an 86 mile round trip every day to Bradford. I have to leave before 6 or after 9 in the morning to do it in an hour otherwise it can sometimes take double the time. In the evening I rarely drive back before 7pm in order to avoid the traffic. I have done it in 40 mins late at night but that is normally impossible due to traffic and I wouldn't have a license for long.

In the past I have commuted considerably shorter journeys which have taken as long as this one each day. It's the time not the distance that I'm bothered about.

Adz
12-03-2008, 15:58
I find my journey to work very frustrating but it is by public transport it would only take me a few minutes in a car but sometimes it can take me an hour using the bus and a tram. The walk would take me about an hour and would prob kill me as all uphill and steep at that. It is so frustrating when you just want to get home but you can't you have to wait and i know if i could drive i would be home in minutes. Unlike driving though i can drift off somewhere else while on the bus or tram.

neeeeeeeeeek
12-03-2008, 16:16
Get a bike, not so great in the wind but most of the time it's alright.
:)