Sign in to follow this  

Fans Riot

Anybody see any of this? I was in town Sat early evening and I didn't see anything!

From http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle.aspx?SectionID=58&ArticleID=662780

FANS RIOT

SOCCER yobs caused some of the worst football violence seen in Sheffield for years as Blades and Cardiff hooligans ran riot.

Two police officers were injured, one needing hospital treatment, as more than 150 riot officers tried to prevent vicious skirmishes between United and Welsh supporters.

Violence erupted before and after Sheffield United's 5-3 victory at Bramall Lane on Saturday afternoon, with parts of the city centre turned into a battleground.

Police had to call in re-inforcements from other forces as the level of brutality reached levels not seen for years. Officers were forced to use batons to keep the thugs apart during some scuffles.

Police today promised they would use video and CCTV images to hunt the hooligans to the "limit of the law".

Five Cardiff men were arrested and charged with offences related to the violence and one Sheffield United fan was also charged. All were released on bail to attend Sheffield Magistrates' Court.

Several Welshmen were injured - three were treated on the spot by paramedics and one was taken to the Northern General Hospital with head injuries.

Today, Match Commander, Supt Martin Hemmingway, slammed the yobs and praised his officers.

"The enjoyment of a football match has been marred by the appalling behaviour of a minority who were intent of causing trouble," he said. "The level of violence towards police officers by Cardiff hooligans was extremely high. It was the worst we have seen in Sheffield for many years.

"My officers did a superb job in ensuring large scale disorder was averted. In the circumstances many arrests were impossible but there will now be a full scale investigation to bring these people to justice."

The two policemen who were injured were a football liaison officer from Cardiff and a Sheffield officer. The South Yorkshire officer had to be rescued by colleagues after being pulled into a mass of Cardiff yobs and kicked and punched to the ground. He was taken to hospital with the hand injury and was said to be "very lucky" to escape so lightly. The match was delayed by ten minutes as traffic chaos was caused by Sheffield yobs waiting to ambush the incoming Cardiff hooligans.

Violence broke out at several locations in the city and around the ground in Randall Street, Bramall Lane and Harwood Street.

Intelligence officers and the force helicopter were also working throughout the afternoon.

22 September 2003

Looks to me like some of that article has been cut and pasted from the BBC News website.

'Worst in years' is a complete load of tosh. If it were, how come there were so few arrests?

As I understand it, most of the trouble happened just before and just after the game. With isolated incidents around the city through the evening. Regarding the few arrests, a lot will be punished through CCTV and police footage that has been taken.

Its just a shame that a mindless minority of Blades and Cardiff fans have spoiled it for a generally well behaved majority (isn't that usually the case).

the police had some part as well jayjay03, from what i've seen SYP usually cause more trouble than they stop.

worst football related domestic riot i recall was brimingham city V leeds in 1985 - same year as heyzel - OVER 90 POLICE were injured that day - wall collapsed too and one fan died, but i think it was also the day when the Bradfod City stand caught fire too