View Full Version : North East Derbyshire Taxis

navyblue
28-02-2008, 21:04
Why does Sheffield City Council continue to let these illegal taxis to pick up in Sheffield? The citizens of this city are being put at risk, yes your children, siblings, parents and yourself could be picked up in an uninsured taxi that will not meet the legal requirements that a Sheffield licenced taxi would have to meet. So why does the council allow this?

willman
28-02-2008, 21:10
as a resident of NE Derbyshire - i'm sure that the vehicles aren't illegal.
they probably just run a different set of rules in the county.

Taximark
28-02-2008, 21:47
Why does Sheffield City Council continue to let these illegal taxis to pick up in Sheffield? The citizens of this city are being put at risk, yes your children, siblings, parents and yourself could be picked up in an uninsured taxi that will not meet the legal requirements that a Sheffield licenced taxi would have to meet. So why does the council allow this?

Well said, but TBF the council has tightened the ropes a little on them but as you said not enough!

Saint James
28-02-2008, 21:56
What the authorities really need to clamp down on is unlicenced minibuses - they are rife. Unlicenced = uninsured, so you are taking a risk booking and using one.

But will they be clamped down on? Will they ******** - it's a good way to get people out of the town centres at night given the ***** state of public transport.

Taximark
28-02-2008, 22:10
What the authorities really need to clamp down on is unlicenced minibuses - they are rife. Unlicenced = uninsured, so you are taking a risk booking and using one.

But will they be clamped down on? Will they ******** - it's a good way to get people out of the town centres at night given the ***** state of public transport.

Agree with that too, there is one that picks people up around Hillsborough using the name Marshalls, he used to use a rover but now he uses a minibus.

navyblue
28-02-2008, 23:19
as a resident of NE Derbyshire - i'm sure that the vehicles aren't illegal.
they probably just run a different set of rules in the county.

Only legal in N.E.Derbyshire in Sheffield they are NOT legal. So not insured as private hire.

Taximark
28-02-2008, 23:46
Only legal in N.E.Derbyshire in Sheffield they are NOT legal. So not insured as private hire.

Bit of a grey area this because they are based right on the border of South Yorks and North Derbyshire and they seem to get alot of calls from areas like Jordenthorpe, Batemoor, Dronfield and Low Edges etc areas close to the border with Derbyshire, bit of a loophole for them in terms of whats required for a sheffield plate is much much more demanding then a Derbyshire plate thats why its easy for them to operate from where they are based, also these people ring them back when they want picking up from town to go back home(this is legal too). A lot of the NE drivers was exploiting this and was just coming to Sheffield hoping to pick up an illegal fare.

To my knowledge the council have clamped down on it.

BTW if someone booked me to pick them up in Chesterfield or Derbyshire it would still be legal for me to do so even though im Sheffield plated.

Andy1988
29-02-2008, 01:31
Think there is one company with two booking offices - one in Meadowhead (Sheffield) and one in Dronfield (NE Derbyshire). Different phone numbers for each office, but ALL of their large fleet are NE Derbyshire plated.

tab1
29-02-2008, 01:54
Although it can be argued that people call them to pick up in Sheffield to go back to Dronfield as Taximark has pointed out, but it isn't legal for them to pick up to drop off within Sheffield. In fact they shouldn't be taking Sheffield bookings simply because they don't have any Sheffield cars any more (they used to though). Their drivers do come into Sheff centre under pretext of picking up bookings and in reality are fleecing Sheffield locals without any comebacks. All of the Network cars are licensed for providing a service in North East Derbyshire, but ALL of them work around Meadowhead to Bradway, Lowedges etc, as well as Dronfield.
Sheffield council officials did managed a sting operation last year. They got a few of them to court but the problem still persists and not helped by Sheffield PH or Hackney companies not providing a decent service in the relevent areas.

tab1
29-02-2008, 01:55
Think there is one company with two booking offices - one in Meadowhead (Sheffield) and one in Dronfield (NE Derbyshire). Different phone numbers for each office, but ALL of their large fleet are NE Derbyshire plated.
That would be Network then with their own unofficial ranks at Woodseats.

redrobbo
29-02-2008, 02:10
Although it can be argued that people call them to pick up in Sheffield to go back to Dronfield as Taximark has pointed out, but it isn't legal for them to pick up to drop off within Sheffield. In fact they shouldn't be taking Sheffield bookings simply because they don't have any Sheffield cars any more (they used to though). Their drivers do come into Sheff centre under pretext of picking up bookings and in reality are fleecing Sheffield locals without any comebacks. All of the Network cars are licensed for providing a service in North East Derbyshire, but ALL of them work around Meadowhead to Bradway, Lowedges etc, as well as Dronfield.
Sheffield council officials did managed a sting operation last year. They got a few of them to court but the problem still persists and not helped by Sheffield PH or Hackney companies not providing a decent service in the relevent areas.

The sting operation was jointly conducted with the police, and was highly successful.

A NE Derbyshire taxi that picks up a fare off the street in Sheffield is acting illegally, and the driver is unisured if an accident should occur.

The Licensing section conduct night time checks in the city. including weekend nights. Offenders are prosecuted.

*_ash_*
29-02-2008, 02:26
The sting operation was jointly conducted with the police, and was highly successful.

A NE Derbyshire taxi that picks up a fare off the street in Sheffield is acting illegally, and the driver is unisured if an accident should occur.

The Licensing section conduct night time checks in the city. including weekend nights. Offenders are prosecuted.

Can the Sheffield licensing section pull up a NE Derbs car though? I didn't think they could.. (without Police presence)

Sheffield council officials did managed a sting operation last year. They got a few of them to court but the problem still persists ....

I assume you got your February newsletter.. Look at the last point... about this years convictions so far :rolleyes:

willman
29-02-2008, 07:31

so does a NED taxi taking someone from NED into Sheffield fall into being illegal?

a few of my acquaintances are taxi drivers and my family regularly get taxis into town.
ive reread the op and i think my question is answered.

Taximark
29-02-2008, 18:05
Simple solution to all of this it to make Network a Sheffield company with Sheffield plates, paying Sheffield prices and following Sheffield rules - everyone else does it!

jaklucy
29-02-2008, 21:21
network have drivers that have had their licenses took off them/revoked by SCC because their ??????????????

but up to you if you get in one and take the chance

tab1
29-02-2008, 21:36
Simple solution to all of this it to make Network a Sheffield company with Sheffield plates, paying Sheffield prices and following Sheffield rules - everyone else does it!Oh please Taximark let's not go down that road again:suspect::)
Scc actually took away Networks operators license for flouting the bylaws the last time round. They had a Sheff wing and the cowboys too but the Sheffield side was sold off with a couple of phone numbers to the then RCA (City). They are there to exploit any loophole going at minimal cost .Whilst they are still holding on to the lease of their Meadowhead Office they don't have a license to operate in Sheffield, and the cheek sods still hold onto sheff telephone numbers that are diverted to their Dronfield office.

Taximark
01-03-2008, 00:02
Oh please Taximark let's not go down that road again:suspect::)
Scc actually took away Networks operators license for flouting the bylaws the last time round. They had a Sheff wing and the cowboys too but the Sheffield side was sold off with a couple of phone numbers to the then RCA (City). They are there to exploit any loophole going at minimal cost .Whilst they are still holding on to the lease of their Meadowhead Office they don't have a license to operate in Sheffield, and the cheek sods still hold onto sheff telephone numbers that are diverted to their Dronfield office.

Wasn't aware of any of this, sourly if they have history and they are still abusing the system then the council can close them down for good then!

tab1
01-03-2008, 02:58
Well since they are licensed by North East Derbyshire county Council and they commit no crime in that area, so the council there is happy to let them be. All the problems are for Sheffield council where SCC have to incure expense chasing them and then then have to pass the case over to NEDDC to prosecute. Any fines then go to NEDDC and Sheffield Licensing remain out of pocket for doing most of the running. You see the incentive isn't there for them because they don't benefit at all for the work they have to put in making a case.
To give credit where it is due we have had evidence of a few drivers from that side being ticked off after they were reported by Sheffield drivers on an individual basis.

happyhippy
01-03-2008, 03:21

Could I just ask you to clarify one thing, though I'm sure it's plain. Some friends of mine call for a private hire car to get back from Bramall Lane to Dronfield because it's the firm they always use 'to' get there, which is from a firm based in NE Derbys.

That's not a problem, is it?

I'm assuming you're on about hackney cabs here? I've had a lot of brandy, and so probably need a hackney cab to get from the keyboard to the bedroom ....... :hihi:

*_ash_*
01-03-2008, 03:23
and so probably need a hackney cab to get from the keyboard to the bedroom ....... :hihi:

A tenner for you:hihi:

*_ash_*
01-03-2008, 03:30
Could I just ask you to clarify one thing, though I'm sure it's plain. Some friends of mine call for a private hire car to get back from Bramall Lane to Dronfield because it's the firm they always use 'to' get there, which is from a firm based in NE Derbys.

That's not a problem, is it?
No, that's not a problem. As isn't phoning a Sheffield Company to take you to Barnsley, then pick you up later to bring you back to Sheffield.

The problem is when the booking is taken from a company outside a Town/City, going to outside another Town/City.

For instance, if lots of cabbies wanted to work in London, but couldn't get licensed there, took a Sheffield test, then worked in London, doing jobs purely in London, but the calls for bookings were taken in Sheffield, if that makes sense. :confused:

I also need a taxi to bed :hihi: (though after rereading, I think it does make sense)

happyhippy
01-03-2008, 03:31
A tenner for you:hihi:

You bugger :hihi:

happyhippy
01-03-2008, 03:43
No, that's not a problem. As isn't phoning a Sheffield Company to take you to Barnsley, then pick you up later to bring you back to Sheffield.

The problem is when the booking is taken from a company outside a Town/City, going to outside another Town/City.

For instance, if lots of cabbies wanted to work in London, but couldn't get licensed there, took a Sheffield test, then worked in London, doing jobs purely in London, but the calls for bookings were taken in Sheffield, if that makes sense. :confused:

I also need a taxi to bed :hihi: (though after rereading, I think it does make sense)

That's what I thought. So, if someone were unfortunately from Barnsley, collaring a Barnsley cabbie to go from Donny to Scunthorpe would be a no go, but a Barnsley cabbie to pick up from Donny to get back to Barnsley would be alright?

I remember paying 110 to get a taxi from Wolverhampton back to Sheffield once. I was on the guest list for the 'end of tour' party when Thunder turned up a few years ago. Unfortunately, it happened to be on a Sunday, and I was starting a new job at 9am the following day.

The last train left far too early, and I like festivities, even if the drummer's a Palace fan.

Well, I couldn't turn down the laminates, could I :hihi:

*_ash_*
01-03-2008, 03:52
That's what I thought. So, if someone were unfortunately from Barnsley, collaring a Barnsley cabbie to go from Donny to Scunthorpe would be a no go, but a Barnsley cabbie to pick up from Donny to get back to Barnsley would be alright?
That's just about right. Though there are exceptions, that I won't bore you with.. (mainly involving prepaid or account jobs)

I remember paying 110 to get a taxi from Wolverhampton back to Sheffield once.
I hope you enjoyed the uncomfortableness of a Hackney for that price! :o It's only 93 at todays rate with Phoenix/City and Mercury. (iirc)

Dozy
01-03-2008, 03:58

I remember paying 110 to get a taxi from Wolverhampton back to Sheffield once. I was on the guest list for the 'end of tour' party when Thunder turned up a few years ago. Unfortunately, it happened to be on a Sunday, and I was starting a new job at 9am the following day.

The last train left far too early, and I like festivities, even if the drummer's a Palace fan.

Well, I couldn't turn down the laminates, could I :hihi: My bold

And what, pray, is unfortunate about being from Barnsley?? :hihi:

happyhippy
01-03-2008, 04:14
I hope you enjoyed the uncomfortableness of a Hackney for that price! :o It's only 93 at todays rate with Phoenix/City and Mercury. (iirc)

Well it was charged at 110, even though my mate had been quoted at 80 for me, but I didn't feel like walking from Derby as a meter was on ;)

happyhippy
01-03-2008, 04:16
My bold

And what, pray, is unfortunate about being from Barnsley?? :hihi:

Ahem ..... the fact it would have cost even more from Wolverhampton for a start :hihi:

Ahem ..... ;)

Twitcher
05-07-2008, 10:25
So, if network cars are based in NE Derbys, why then do they seem to be continually parked outside my house in S8? What's going on there, it's been every day this week now...

spuggy
05-07-2008, 12:17
So, if network cars are based in NE Derbys, why then do they seem to be continually parked outside my house in S8? What's going on there, it's been every day this week now...

After spending some time researching this issue for a course I am on, I think I can enlighten you...

A person living in Sheffield (for example) can book a private hire vehicle from any other district (North East Derbyshire for example) to take him or her to anywhere in the country. Provided that ;

A) the Operator (the firm which takes the booking) is licensed in the district from which it operates and;
B) the vehicle sent is licensed in the same district as the operator and;
C) the driver is also licensed in that same district.

The operator you refer to is based right on the border of Sheffield / North East Derbyshire, and gets a lot of legitimate booked work from Sheffield residents. Not legally a problem provided that the criteria above is satisfied.
The reason why they park up in Sheffield is that they feel it uneconomical to return to their "home" district, just to be sent back to Sheffield for the next job. There is nothing illegal in this, unless of course they commit other traffic / parking offences.

The real problem with some of these drivers comes when they have legitimately dropped off in Sheffield town centre (for example) and hang around in the hope that they can pick up off the street (illegally - private hire journeys MUST be pre-booked through a licensed operator).

This is also a big problem in Liverpool, who I understand are attempting to pressure the Government into amending the legislation so that upon the completion of a booking, a vehicle MUST return to its "home" district.

The problem of the nuisance factor of drivers/vehicles waiting outside your property is somewhat more complicated I'm afraid. You do not own the highway outside the property - provided a vehicle is taxed, tested, insured, parked properly and roadworthy then it has a right to stand wherever the driver chooses (provided it is not causing an obstruction or danger of course). Suggest contacting your local Police Safer Neighbourhoods Team or Environmental Services at the Local Authority ????

Twitcher
28-04-2009, 20:47
After spending some time researching this issue for a course I am on, I think I can enlighten you...

A person living in Sheffield (for example) can book a private hire vehicle from any other district (North East Derbyshire for example) to take him or her to anywhere in the country. Provided that ;

A) the Operator (the firm which takes the booking) is licensed in the district from which it operates and;
B) the vehicle sent is licensed in the same district as the operator and;
C) the driver is also licensed in that same district.

The operator you refer to is based right on the border of Sheffield / North East Derbyshire, and gets a lot of legitimate booked work from Sheffield residents. Not legally a problem provided that the criteria above is satisfied.
The reason why they park up in Sheffield is that they feel it uneconomical to return to their "home" district, just to be sent back to Sheffield for the next job. There is nothing illegal in this, unless of course they commit other traffic / parking offences.

The real problem with some of these drivers comes when they have legitimately dropped off in Sheffield town centre (for example) and hang around in the hope that they can pick up off the street (illegally - private hire journeys MUST be pre-booked through a licensed operator).

This is also a big problem in Liverpool, who I understand are attempting to pressure the Government into amending the legislation so that upon the completion of a booking, a vehicle MUST return to its "home" district.

The problem of the nuisance factor of drivers/vehicles waiting outside your property is somewhat more complicated I'm afraid. You do not own the highway outside the property - provided a vehicle is taxed, tested, insured, parked properly and roadworthy then it has a right to stand wherever the driver chooses (provided it is not causing an obstruction or danger of course). Suggest contacting your local Police Safer Neighbourhoods Team or Environmental Services at the Local Authority ????

There is 1 particular taxi that is parking outside my house, I think he's been here everyday in S8, same number and he seems to park here all day. I don't know why it irks me so as he has a right to park there but it just does....:(

The Idler
28-04-2009, 21:02
There is 1 particular taxi that is parking outside my house, I think he's been here everyday in S8, same number and he seems to park here all day. I don't know why it irks me so as he has a right to park there but it just does....:(

He's paid his tax disc. He can park where he likes.

***Boss***
28-04-2009, 23:14
Network drivers just park anywhere they feel like

actionman
29-04-2009, 13:08
for a non sheffield licensed vehicle including mini bus' it is illegal to use sheffield bus lanes and bus gates. It's public transport and sheff taxis only.

zippy
29-04-2009, 15:36

wrong

a PHV can pick up anywhere in the UK - otherwise 'airport taxi' runs wouldn't be legal on the return leg...

i'm not even sure if it's the case that one end of the journey has to be within the Local authority it's licensed in

zippy
29-04-2009, 15:38

but so would a Sheffield badged PHV picking up an unbooked fare

zippy
29-04-2009, 15:40
for a non sheffield licensed vehicle including mini bus' it is illegal to use sheffield bus lanes and bus gates. It's public transport and sheff taxis only.

Sheffield plated taxis or both taxis and PHVs ?

sierraman
29-04-2009, 15:41
I once used a North East Derbyshire company based in Eckington. They charged 50 to pick me up from East Midlands airport back to Mosborough. I reckon with the 50 I gave them up front, they went out and bought a car with the 50! Never again!!!

Taximark
01-05-2009, 00:29
I once used a North East Derbyshire company based in Eckington. They charged 50 to pick me up from East Midlands airport back to Mosborough. I reckon with the 50 I gave them up front, they went out and bought a car with the 50! Never again!!!

Network cars old tired and abused, bit like me, but at least my car is nice:hihi:

SYorksDeano
01-05-2009, 00:40
Does anyone think that a "national" taxi plate would work? It seems that different councils have different rules, or would that just cause problems?

Also how often does the council check taxis and the state that they are in?

*_ash_*
01-05-2009, 00:43
Does anyone think that a "national" taxi plate would work? It seems that different councils have different rules, or would that just cause problems?
Major problems. Just about impossible to implement.

Every driver, me included (if I still had my badge) would just go and pick up fares in London. (having moved there first of course)

Also how often does the council check taxis and the state that they are in?
They're generally out in force at weekends pulling drivers up to check them out.

SYorksDeano
01-05-2009, 00:47
They're generally out in force at weekends pulling drivers up to check them out.

So in theory, a driver could get away with not having his car checked until it's timeto renew his plate?

*_ash_*
01-05-2009, 00:53
So in theory, a driver could get away with not having his car checked until it's timeto renew his plate?
Yes.

Checks though are 6 monthly at a certain age. (about 5 years old I think).

If it's private hire car though, companies check cars too, to make sure they aren't minging.

Complaints to council also will ensure a check. I think the latest seems to be, the smell of ciggy smoke in cars. Drivers of course now can't smoke in them.

Major faults though can't really go unchecked. The kind of mileage drivers do, and knowing it's their own livelihood don't tend to drive for a long time with a 'clunking' sound.. damage limitation etc.

I used to just turn my radio up. Problem solved! :thumbsup:

SYorksDeano
01-05-2009, 00:57
Do they check the meters as well? The only reason I ask is because when I get a hackney from town up home, even though it goes the same route at around the same time of day I get charged a different rate each time. Sometimes is 10p to around 50p, but the highest has been around 2 difference.

*_ash_*
01-05-2009, 01:25
Do they check the meters as well? The only reason I ask is because when I get a hackney from town up home, even though it goes the same route at around the same time of day I get charged a different rate each time. Sometimes is 10p to around 50p, but the highest has been around 2 difference.
Black cabs' meters are calibrated at the test yes.

The reason for the price diff is the waiting.

When the cab is stopped or under about 2 mph, it's clocking up around 20p a minute.

Some of the meters have a little clock figure type thing so you can see it tick.