Brewery , Claywheels lane

anyone remember Bass Charringtons Brewery , Claywheels lane

anyone remember Bass Charringtons Brewery , Claywheels lane

Yes,we went past it when we went to Beeley woods on the bikes.

I worked there for a few years when it was the Hope & Anchor Brewery, it changed to Charringtons whilst I worked there.

yes my mother worked in the offices there and thats where i got my first job.

My grandfather worked there for many years until his retirement in the late 70s.

My dad worked, or was it drank there for years up until they shut it down.

My brother was a postman and he used to deliver their letters. They often used to leave a bottle of beer on the office doorstep for him!

My mum and dad worked there in the late 50's and that's how they met and have been happily married ever since (mum in office, dad delivery lorry driver...)

My mum and dad worked there in the late 50's and that's how they met and have been happily married ever since (mum in office, dad delivery lorry driver...)

My brother Brian drove the small 3 wheeler truck back & forth to the Carlings wharehouse all day long, he married a lass called Joan who worked in the lab, I first worked in the W/house then on a palletizer in the cellar, anyone who worked there would remember these names, Barry Ward, Terry Marshall,Trevor & Brian Powell, Derek & Brian Turner [not related] Terry Fletcher, Frank ? & Mick who used to charge the batteries, Jack the cellar boss And Tony Fenton, who had a problem and couldn't stop shaking, not forgetting Bobby Graham, an Aussie who was working his way around the world, I bumped into him shortly after arriving here, by accident.

There were a lot of couples that paired off who worked there & it was a great place to work.

Jules, your dad would remember Buff that worked as an offsider on the trucks ?

I was due to replace the Security Manager there, His name was Colin, with the glasses. I knew him in the navy police but cannot for the life of me remember his surname. He lived off Middlewood Road, just past Dudley Rd. Unfortunately the death knell was rininging for the old place and I never started.

That would have been full circle for me, as a kid I used to play all over the back edge and down in Beeley Woods when the brewery was called Hope & Anchor.

Have spoken to my mum and dad and they remember Terry and Frank Fletcher who lived on Fox Hill, Stan and Barry Ward who worked in the bottling stores and Dennis Singleton who lived at Stanington and worked with Ralph Mellows.

Sorry, they can't remember Buff......

I grew up on Dudley Road in the 70s and 80s. I well remember the pong which used to come over the river from the Charringtons brewery and the barking of the dogs from the Niagra ground.