View Full Version : Which is better Clarins skincare/makeup or Clinique?

pretty_polly
28-02-2005, 10:52
Just wondering from everyone out there, which is better Clarins skincare/makeup or Clinique?

Cheers

HotPhil
28-02-2005, 10:57
my missus swears by clinique as the only brand that doesn't irritate her skin.

Lucy_Smith
28-02-2005, 11:00
Originally posted by hotphil
my missus swears by clinique as the only brand that doesn't irritate her skin.

I'd ditto that, my skin is really sensitive to alcohol so I use Clinique for everything! Never had any problems

nick2
28-02-2005, 11:27
I use Clinique moisturiser because it doesn't make me itch.

A top tip for the guys though, the mens stuff is exactly the same as the womens, just in a smaller, butcher bottle and for more money (a nice lady on the Clinique counter told me this).

pussycat
28-02-2005, 11:32
My big sister swears by Clarins for skincare and Clinique for make up.

I can't afford either...:(

nick2
28-02-2005, 11:45
Originally posted by pussycat
I can't afford either...:(

It might seem a bit expensive but you don't use a lot so it lasts ages.

JonJParr
28-02-2005, 12:02
Originally posted by pretty_polly
Just wondering from everyone out there, which is better Clarins skincare/makeup or Clinique?

Cheers

Clinique!! What would I do without it? I use the shaving gel, face wash, post-shave healer, moisturiser, deodorant, shampoo. It really is great stuff and although expensive it's a must for me. I think it's a necessity to look clean shaven for business, without any razor burn and with no spots or ingrown hairs.

nick2
28-02-2005, 12:04
Does anyone else think that Clinique soap smells like chip-fat though ?

(I realise this is because it is un-perfumed etc. but still.....)

JonJParr
28-02-2005, 12:05
Originally posted by nick2
Does anyone else think that Clinique soap smells like chip-fat though ?

(I realise this is because it is un-perfumed etc. but still.....)

Not really, I think it smells kind of like soap. Certainly not like chip fat though.

StarSparkle
28-02-2005, 12:31
Personally, I wouldn't touch Clinique skincare - the toners in particular are VERY strong - I mean, you can SMELL the alcohol, they're that strong!

In America, from what I understand, it is regarded as a non-luxury line aimed mainly at teenagers and those in their early twenties.

The make-up is a different matter. The colour range and variety was second to none until the arrival of lines like Prescriptives and MAC. And the prices have always been reasonable.

I'd say Clarins skincare is better quality than Clinique, but still find I react badly to some of their products. My skin is ultra-sensitive, but even so, it's disappointing.

Your mileage may vary :P

StarSparkle

Lucy_Smith
28-02-2005, 12:37
Starsparkle- Clinique do an alcohol free version of their toners

StarSparkle
28-02-2005, 13:03
Originally posted by Lucy_Smith
Starsparkle- Clinique do an alcohol free version of their toners

Lucy_Smith - the fact that Clinique have alcohol in ANY of their toners makes me shudder. They're supposed to be a hypoallergic range - even the thought of using alcohol should be a total no-no!

A few years ago I was recommended to use one of their toners - it was like paint-stripper on my sensitive skin :gag: Never again!

Maybe, and I repeat maybe, their skincare regime may have some relevance for particularly oily teenage skin, but for sensitive skin .... cringe :suspect:

StarSparkle

threecolours
28-02-2005, 13:17
Clarins skin care ever time - I've not got sensitive skin though.

Seems a bit strange to say when it trying to snow outside but - their fake tan is good too (no orange streaks or skin cancer/wrinkles for me thank you!)

Agree with starsparkle as I'm a relatively recent convert to MAC make-up too. Really nice colours.

Glad to see a couple of guys on here too. Good to hear you sharing the benefits of moisturiser and that you realise to be a man you don't have to have razor burn!

JonJParr
28-02-2005, 13:19
Originally posted by threecolours
Glad to see a couple of guys on here too. Good to hear you sharing the benefits of moisturiser and that you realise to be a man you don't have to have razor burn!

Razor burn is not impressive or a manly trait - I think it just looks unsightly! For me it's a business thing, my clients have a right to expect me to be well presented.

threecolours
28-02-2005, 13:24
Well said Jon. I wasnt thinking of your clients though but us women...its not very comfortable! I'll leave it at that I think....

JonJParr
28-02-2005, 13:26
Originally posted by threecolours
Well said Jon. I wasnt thinking of your clients though but us women...its not very comfortable! I'll leave it at that I think....

Sorry re-read my post, I meant clients in the corporate sense - I'm a freelance business consultant not anything else. My partner appreciates me being well-groomed! :wink:

samc
28-02-2005, 13:27
I used Clinque cleansing products until someone told me to try cleaning the sink with the toner because it is so stringent.. The sink shined beautifully. Not put that on my face again.

But the make-up products are quality.

threecolours
28-02-2005, 13:31
Originally posted by JonJParr
Sorry re-read my post, I meant clients in the corporate sense - I'm a freelance business consultant not anything else. My partner appreciates me being well-groomed! :wink:

Jon - I never thought anything different...but thanks for making it really clear and raising a smile!

Lucy_Smith
28-02-2005, 14:30
Starsparkle...if you look at the packaging of most toners you will find they contain alcohol.

My skin is mega sensitive, I get rosacea if anything containing alcohol comes into contact with my skin. And I've never had problems with any of the Clinique products.

Not quite sure where this idea of Clinique being a product range for teenagers comes from? I would have thought most teenagers wouldn't be able to afford Clinique? Maybe things are different from my day when I got 1 a week pocket money!

rich1068
28-02-2005, 15:00
none of them (clarins & clinique)
My wife is very serious about her make up. Being a dark skinned beauty, the response she has received from both these brands when asking about aything to do with dark skin is.. (most recent - Nottingham, Clinque "consultant" in medical looking coat) Question: I need a loose powder, i'm not sure what transparency I need. Answer: Do you hav it light or dark??????

(wife talking)
Mac - for make up is great. The consultants know what they are talking about, the colours last and it's not expensive.
As for skincare, i have tried them all. Due to the cost of toners, cleansers etc. I now get neatrogena from boots, available in sensitive too. They do the trick and are cheap and i don't have kittens when i'm a little drunk and spill some when i'm trying to get my war paint off.!!

Miss
28-02-2005, 18:43
I generally prefer Lancome to Clinique... Expensive, but worth it... Makes your skin feel like silk!

StarSparkle
28-02-2005, 19:07
Starsparkle...if you look at the packaging of most toners you will find they contain alcohol.

My skin is mega sensitive, I get rosacea if anything containing alcohol comes into contact with my skin. And I've never had problems with any of the Clinique products.

Not quite sure where this idea of Clinique being a product range for teenagers comes from? I would have thought most teenagers wouldn't be able to afford Clinique? Maybe things are different from my day when I got 1 a week pocket money!

Lucy_Smith - if any toners contain alcohol, then I for one won't be buying them - alcohol is far too harsh to use on most people's faces. And if a skincare line that claims to be hypoallergenic uses alcohol in its products, then I have grave doubts about using that line.

In America - the home of Clinique - it is aimed at teenagers. The prices charged for the range are comparably much lower there. For a number of years I've been regularly reading the Newsgroup 'Alt.Fashion'. Most of the users on there are Americans, and you'll find they regard Clinique as essentially for teenagers.

I'm not getting into a ******* contest over who has the more sensitive skin, but I've had eczema most of my life, and have to be VERY careful what products I use on my skin if I don't want a flare-up. I'm very pleased if Clinique works well for you, but I'm not so fortunate.

StarSparkle

Lucy_Smith
28-02-2005, 19:14
I think at the end of the day everybody's skin is different. But next time you buy any beauty product do take a look at the contents, even things like shower gel contain alcohol.

My doctor told me that most beauty products will contain some alcohol even if it doesn't say so on the packaging. He said even soap can contain alcohol so he said not to use anything except E45 shower wash stuff! YUK!!!

StarSparkle
28-02-2005, 19:58
I think at the end of the day everybody's skin is different. But next time you buy any beauty product do take a look at the contents, even things like shower gel contain alcohol.

My doctor told me that most beauty products will contain some alcohol even if it doesn't say so on the packaging. He said even soap can contain alcohol so he said not to use anything except E45 shower wash stuff! YUK!!!

I've found out to my cost that I can hardly use any products on my skin or it reacts! I use the blandest soap I can find - never anything perfumed - and NEVER use soap on my face.

I daren't use anything like bubble bath or even shower gel.

I've learnt the hard way what products do / do not work for me! That's why I'm VERY careful what I use - and you'd better believe I read the labels!

StarSparkle

missnorks
28-02-2005, 20:16
Don't use either, dermalogica is alot better . A girl on the decleor counter at meadowhall told me she used to work in a salon and they used clinique clarifying lotion to clean the floors with. Apparently brought them up a treat!

Lucy_Smith
28-02-2005, 20:21
Not meaning to get picky with these posts but why on earth would you use Clinique clarifying lotion to clean floors/sinks with anyway? It costs 13 for a small bottle...surely good old cleaning products will do???

StarSparkle
28-02-2005, 20:33
Originally posted by missnorks
Don't use either, dermalogica is alot better . A girl on the decleor counter at meadowhall told me she used to work in a salon and they used clinique clarifying lotion to clean the floors with. Apparently brought them up a treat!

I have actually been warned off using Clinique skincare products by a number of beauticians, who claimed they were far too harsh - this was after I'd learnt the hard way myself!

And I have heard the stories about Clinique's clarifying lotions being used to clean sinks, etc but don't know how accurate these are!

I've never used Dermalogica skincare myself, but I have heard a lot of good things about it :thumbsup:

StarSparkle

missnorks
28-02-2005, 20:40
Could be urban myth, but me thinks the point is it's far too harsh for use on anyone's skin. Dermalogica rules:headbang:

pretty_polly
28-02-2005, 20:43
Thank you for all your comments.

But so far everyone has talked about Clinique and how bad that beauty range is and no-one has really talked about Clarins products, I haven't seen one bad comment about the Clarins range.

Does that mean after all Clarins is the most better skincare range than Clinique? As the comments suggest so.?.?

Lucy_Smith
28-02-2005, 20:43
[i]the point is it's far too harsh for use on anyone's skin [/B]

I'd say that was opinion not fact. It's not too harsh to use on my skin, and as I've said before my skin is extremely sensitive.

It really just comes down to your skin individually and like with all skincare products it's normally just a case of trial and error.

StarSparkle
28-02-2005, 20:46
Originally posted by missnorks
Could be urban myth, but me thinks the point is it's far too harsh for use on anyone's skin.

Yeah, this is exactly what I've been saying.

I'm tempted to give Dermalogica a go - at the moment I'm very happy with using Sisley, but it's so ridiculously expensive!

StarSparkle :)

ginamoi
28-02-2005, 21:49
I use Olivia, a soap bar u can get from any health store, the Wicker is where I get it, it's made from Olive oil and Aloe vera, very cheap and natural and cannot possibly harm my skin I suppose, Aloe vera is supposed to actually heal scars and irritation..a friend of mine studying advertising told me once that only "Guerlain" actually works for skin care, he heard it from his teacher at uni..but that hasn't got anything to do with Clarins and Clinique I guess....
not tried Clarins but I quite like the Clinique lipsticks..

poppins
28-02-2005, 22:08
Don't laugh but has anyone used Preperation H for wrinkles?

Heard all the jokes so don't bother, film stars bin using it for years, it realy does the job.

beckyaa
28-02-2005, 23:02
At the end of the day you have to find what is right for you.

I've been using Clinique for about 8 years, and thought I would give something else a go. Tried Deromologica for about 3 months, but to be honest I found it too expensive and the range of products slightly baffling! Went back to Clinque and have stuck with it again for about a year.

pretty_polly
20-06-2005, 13:18
Thanks for all of the comments, as far as I can see Clarins is the better skincare range than Clinque.

Any more comments on either Clinique or Clarins is welcome.

KookyKoo
20-06-2005, 16:00
I use Clarins: cleanser, Energising Morning Cream moisturiser, body moisturiser and Beauty Flash Balm - amazing stuff, there's nothing quite like it (and many brands have tried).

I use Clinique make up for my eyes and lips, but I prefer Benefit blusher to anything else. I'd never use anything but Clinique on my eyes, I have very sensitive eyes which are prone to infections.

There's a brand called Thalgo which my mum got me onto and I use their eye make up remover and exfoliator- it's a bit pricey but it's brilliant.

pretty_polly
20-06-2005, 17:15
What about Clarins Make-up, is it any good. Just everyone has talked about Clinique make-up.

At the moment I am still sticking to Clarins skincare range.

KookyKoo
20-06-2005, 17:44
never used Clarins make up besides a bronzer which is pretty good and lasted ages! maybe go to the Clarins counter at John Lewis or Debenhams and ask for some make up samples? hmmm maybe I will too!!!

*Twinkle*
25-06-2005, 21:26
I used to use Virgin Vie's skin care, it was good for a while, but then I noticed my face was feeling quite greasy and often looked shiny, although I've never had greasy skin before...

I decided to try out clinique and its brilliant. I admit the toner is harsh, and smells harsh too, but its really good on my T zone as I have almost typical teenager skin. I'm using the mild facial soap and toner no2 and the dramatically different moisterising lotion... At present, I wouldn't change... But once I'm out of my teenage years, I'll probably have to switch to a more gentle toner.

I'm quite an addict of Cliniques perfumes. I have Happy and Simply and I love them both! hehe
I might try out some makeup this year when I get a bit more flush, but at present the skincare is my priority.