Council Housing

Is Sheffield Council's housing stock the worst in Britain? It seems that Sheffield has lost any committment to the idea of providing decent social housing and has abandoned it's tenants to survive in run down, neglected homes.

I would be grateful to hear what other council tenants feel about the standard of the homes that they are now going to be charged a "fair" rent for under the new system for setting rents.

council houses seam decent at lowedges they have just been fitted with new kitchens!

There are some excellent council houses in sheffield, I know I live in one. Moved into this one nearly twenty seven years ago when it was brand new, and it is very nice.

I know, there are some run down ones, but it is not all the councils fault. Some tenants also are at fault by neglecting their homes and indeed deliberately damage them.

If people would take a pride in their homes and look after them, it wouldnt be neccessary for them to be repaired all the time. :o:lol::D

I don't know about Shefield been the worst but I think some areas with council houses will be up there with the worst. I seen some streets where there is house after house empty and boarded up ebcause nobody wants to live there. Who wants to live on a road where more than half the houses are boarded up and empty?

Dear f-g

Some Council houses have been fitted with new kitchens. I moved into this flat in November, I had to wait three,count 'em, three months for the contractors to finish the job before I could move in, I'm still trying to find the proper electric socket for the washing machine(I hasten to add I'm using another socket, so I can wash my undies etc.) I think the Lowedges Housing Office is an absolute shambles as far as my dealings with them are concerned. I definitely get the feeling that an estate dweller is somehow second class and should be grateful they get any service at all. What's your view,f-g or anybody?

well AFAIK, they all have double glazing now as well

Dear RPG.

'Fraid I have to disagree withee, my flat only has the kitchen Double glazed.The bathroom has the old metal window frames and the living room and bedrooms have rotting wooden ones. This is Lowedges. I wonder if anyone with any power in the Housing office reads this forum? If so I'll bet any adverse comments are quietly ignored.

I'm not in Lowedges, arbourthorne to be exact. And double glazing would be nice, so would a toilet upstairs in the bathroom! and not at the side of the kitchen.

In order to get central heating we had to 'play' on asthma.

And the kitchen has only two units, and one of them is the sink!

;(

Originally posted by "fronbow"

I'm not in Lowedges, arbourthorne to be exact. And double glazing would be nice, so would a toilet upstairs in the bathroom! and not at the side of the kitchen.

In order to get central heating we had to 'play' on asthma.

And the kitchen has only two units, and one of them is the sink!

;(

You see this just highlights the poor quality of Sheffield Council Housing. Houses that still haven't been modernised. Having a downstairs toilet, What year are we living in? It wouldn't surprise me if someone piped up and said that they still had an outside toilet! anybody out there with a sess pit?

Tell me, are the rents cheaper for un-modernised houses? if so how much cheaper?

dunno, what are the rents like for 'modernised' houses?! (Our rent is round about 38 squid) (Per Week)

Dear Lickzz

Our cess pits been blocked ..... no I'm only kidding, but I do take your point and can do nothing but agree with you. I've had trouble wi't 'ousin'

but nobody seems to want to do anything, does anyone know who I can contact to get some action? Incidentally, I'm paying around £159 per month.

If you think Sheffield council houses are bad, you should see the ones in Newcastle. I've had the 'pleasure' of visiting some and they are truly awful!