View Full Version : Can you go to prison for Tax/Revenue evasion?

RedRocker
28-01-2008, 15:28
Just a quick question.

I know someone who is self employed but does not pay tax or NI contributions. Come to think of it I dont think they pay council tax either!!!

Now I dont like him anyway, so.......where do I dob him in :D???
I suppose it's abt like the Benefit dodger topic!!

Any feedback would be good!!

*Peaches*
28-01-2008, 15:30
I think its an 8 month custodial sentence for council tax evasion alone

Agent Orange
28-01-2008, 15:35
Excise/Revenue fraud - Tax evasion

Where, over a period of time, an offender has evaded tax, they must not only pay the tax and pay a financial penalty but a custodial sentence should also be imposed.
The length of the sentence will depend on a number of factors including:
the amount of tax evaded;
the period of time during which the evasion took place;
the effort made to conceal the fraud;
whether others were drawn in and corrupted;
the character of the offender;
the extent (if known) of his personal gain;
whether the offender pleaded guilty;
the amount recovered.

So... to answer your question. There is a good chance that your friend could serve at her majesty's pleasure.

RedRocker
28-01-2008, 15:36
ooooo, I am rubbing my hands together!!!

Jabberwocky
28-01-2008, 15:42
Its a lovely feeling isnt it? When you can really STUFF it to someone you hate?
Im in the process of witnessing the downfall of an utter plank who used to be part of my family, hes a real maggot and Im proud to be a part of his demise.

Keep us informed of what happens, I love stuff like this.

Grandad.Malky
28-01-2008, 15:44
I know someone who is self employed but does not pay tax or NI contributions. Come to think of it I dont think they pay council tax either!!!

Could it be just that he as a very good accountant?

JoeP
28-01-2008, 15:46
I think it's highly unlikly they'll go to prison in the current climate.

It's fraud - there are a number of things that can be done to extract the money from them first and it's likely that a custodial sentence would only be imposed if they meet several of the criteria in Agent Orange's list.

So....are you turning them in because they've done wrong or because you don't like them? :)

RedRocker
28-01-2008, 15:51
oh because they have done worng!! It just makes it a little sweeter that I dont like the bloke

newvanandman
28-01-2008, 16:01
Just a quick question.

You dont like him?not that he has done you any harm.

Lets hope his family dont suffer as a consequence of your actions!!
Well at least you get to feel proud!

Classic Rock
28-01-2008, 16:03
You dont like him?not that he has done you any harm.

Lets hope his family dont suffer as a consequence of your actions!!
Well at least you get to feel proud!

So are you condoning the fact that someone can work without paying taxes?

Rotherhamer
28-01-2008, 16:04
What goes around comes around...lets hope so:cool:

Classic Rock
28-01-2008, 16:07
What goes around comes around...lets hope so:cool:

What does that mean??? Don't talk in riddles :confused:

ukstudent
28-01-2008, 16:21
make him pay - everyone else does so why shouldnt he!

carmencarter
28-01-2008, 16:29
Yes do it , it will make you feel so good, smug and superior, which you are of course, that's why you're thinking of doing that to him.

lyndsayx
28-01-2008, 16:36
it's only fair this persons pays his taxes like the rest of us. whatever he gets he brought it on himself.

JoeP
28-01-2008, 16:43
As an aside I'm interested in general terms as to how folks know that someone hasn't paid tax.

From my own perspective, three people know for sure whether I've paid my self-employed tax - me, the tax man, and my bank manager.

I someone's dumb enough to advertise the fact that they haven't paid tax, then they probably desrve to be jailed for stupidity as well. :)

Ghostrider
28-01-2008, 17:05
As an aside I'm interested in general terms as to how folks know that someone hasn't paid tax.

From my own perspective, three people know for sure whether I've paid my self-employed tax - me, the tax man, and my bank manager.

I someone's dumb enough to advertise the fact that they haven't paid tax, then they probably desrve to be jailed for stupidity as well. :)Well, if the person the OP is talking about is the same one that im thinking of, he certainly is.

Heyesey
28-01-2008, 17:53
Yes do it , it will make you feel so good, smug and superior, which you are of course, that's why you're thinking of doing that to him.

Maybe. Maybe not.

If he's like me, he's going to turn him in for the plain and simple reason that he has a moral duty to do so. Superiority doesn't come into it.

carmencarter
28-01-2008, 18:01
Well, the fact that he's admitting that he doesn't like the guy anyway says a lot.
You may do it out of moral duty- I completely disagree with it but maybe some people would do it because they think it's the right thing to do, or maybe they hand out medals to those model citizens, who knows?- but it seems clear that the OP is doing it for another reason.

Heyesey
28-01-2008, 18:05
You may do it out of moral duty- I completely disagree with it

What's to disagree with? Or are you seriously arguing that people who commit crimes should be allowed to get away with them whenever possible?

carmencarter
28-01-2008, 18:11
I'm saying that I would never find it in me to pick up my phone and tell on him- I would if I knew of someone who beats his kids or has caused physical pain to someone, but somehow I can't see myself doing it for money.
I see why people would want to do it, but | couldn't.

mikomi
28-01-2008, 18:13
Don't waste your time, No tax x No VAT x No NI stole 180,000 Company and customers money. It took nearly four years to get him in court and he gets a 12month stretch.

A baseball bat would have served a better deterrent !!!!

grafikhaus74
28-01-2008, 18:17
Not paying tax? He'll definitely go to prison.
As would a little old lady who witholds her council tax.

Now if it was some hoodie scum kicking somebody to death - 10 on the spot fine.

Tony
28-01-2008, 18:19
At the end of the day HMRC want his money, not his freedom. From what I know it's very difficult (or impossible?) to prove evasion unless it's clear that efforts have been made to deliberately deceive. If they lock him up they probably won't get the money, and at the end of the day it's better for us all if they get the cash rather than spend more detaining him at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Greybeard
28-01-2008, 19:17
And anyway with the state the prisons are in they would probably have to give some murderer or rapist early release to make room for him.

pinnacle
28-01-2008, 19:35
Didnt Ken Dodd go down for tax evasion?

EmilyM
28-01-2008, 21:25
If you have a second job (as well as a full time job), what rate of tax would you pay on the wages from the second job?

gnomi
28-01-2008, 21:27
Just a quick question.

so you're 'dobbin him in' because you dont like him,not because you think its wrong?
Nice :rolleyes:

Tarquin
28-01-2008, 21:33
If you have a second job (as well as a full time job), what rate of tax would you pay on the wages from the second job?

If you were earning over your personal allowance(tax free pay) on your main job then you would pay Basic rate tax on all your earnings on your 2nd job.

CaptainChaos
28-01-2008, 21:42
Just a quick question.

Jeez. Do I despise maggots like you. Hiding in the shadows.

By all means, have the balls to stand up and say your piece, but why not tell him/her too. Oh hang on, that takes a bit of backbone which I suspect you lovingly tend to each night with a liberal application of windolene.

RedRocker
28-01-2008, 22:03

By all means, have the balls to stand up and say your piece, but why not tell him/her too. Oh hang on, that takes a bit of backbone which I suspect you lovingly tend to each night with a liberal application of windolene.

Thank you for your input!!! All I asked at the start of this was what route do you go down if you know of someone doing this. I have told the person involved thank you!!! Maggot!!!! Maggot!! I aint the one hiding behind my name!!! Captain!! Do you know all the background to this??? NO!! So why dont you just shut up and continue passing your invalued comments onto other forum users :D:D:loopy: Also why would I be using Windolene, You dont make sense, Go back and learn another insult from you bumper boys book of insults 1964!!

Googleberry
28-01-2008, 22:08

Carmencarter is talking about a dirtbag who expects the rest of us to pay their tax. That doesn't make Carmencarter a maggot! If you're happy to go on paying someone else's tax CaptainChaos, you can put your money where your mouth is and pay mine! :hihi:

CaptainChaos
28-01-2008, 22:16
Carmencarter is talking about a dirtbag who expects the rest of us to pay their tax. That doesn't make Carmencarter a maggot! If you're happy to go on paying someone else's tax CaptainChaos, you can put your money where your mouth is and pay mine! :hihi:

For all you and glass back know, he could and probably is using the tax system to its full advantage. Because you dont pay any tax does not always mean you are evading. Completely different scenarios.

ricky36
28-01-2008, 22:19
lester piggot got three years in 1988 I believe that should answer your question.

and I know it was for vat which is still tax

wolfstalin
29-01-2008, 00:02
ooooo, I am rubbing my hands together!!!

Hey you can do mine as well, two for the price of one.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=3706

wolfstalin
29-01-2008, 00:11
If you're happy to go on paying someone else's tax CaptainChaos, you can put your money where your mouth is and pay mine! :hihi:

Stonking, ROTFLMFAS!!!!!

cgksheff
29-01-2008, 00:17
If you were earning over your personal allowance(tax free pay) on your main job then you would pay Basic rate tax on all your earnings on your 2nd job.

Until, of course, they reached a combined taxable income of 34,600.

wolfstalin
29-01-2008, 03:25
Until, of course, they reached a combined taxable income of 34,600.

How much would you end up paying on 229K a year.

newvanandman
29-01-2008, 06:47
I notice were all concerned for the family he may have!
He obviously should be more careful in choosing his company.

Cyclone
29-01-2008, 07:28
For all you and glass back know, he could and probably is using the tax system to its full advantage. Because you dont pay any tax does not always mean you are evading. Completely different scenarios.

In which case reporting the suspicions will cause no harm.
And if you're wrong and he is fiddling it then reporting him will do some good.

Backbone has nothing to do with it, what is there to gain by confronting him, he'll either deny it, or confirm it or just punch you in the face, no of which actually sort out the problem.

Classic Rock
29-01-2008, 10:53
But how would he know who had reported him?

ricky36
29-01-2008, 12:28
Didnt Ken Dodd go down for tax evasion?

he certainy did not he got found not guilty mind you with a jury made up of liverpudllians what would you expect