View Full Version : How long does it take to get a council house on priority?

SRi-Jonny
27-01-2008, 12:18
I'm just about to put a homeless application in as i'm living with my parents above their pub. I have two young children & me & my mother aren't getting on too well due to the stress that she has a business to run & it's not exactly suitable for us to be there. I'm on some depression tablets as i'm struggling to cope with the situation (arguing all the time, noisy at night & disturbing the children, lack of sleep). My mum is sending me to the council with a letter explaining this & not that she wants to, but she asking me to move out in x amount of weeks.

I'm new to all this so just wondered if anyone could share their experiences with me. :confused::confused: :)

SRi-Jonny
27-01-2008, 12:20
I'm just about to put a homeless application in as i'm living with my parents above their pub. I have two young children & me & my mother aren't getting on too well due to the stress that she has a business to run & it's not exactly suitable for us to be there. I'm on some depression tablets as i'm struggling to cope with the situation (arguing all the time, noisy at night & disturbing the children, lack of sleep). My mum is sending me to the council with a letter explaining this & not that she wants to, but she asking me to move out in x amount of weeks.

I'm new to all this so just wondered if anyone could share their experiences with me. :confused::confused: :)

sorry i am female too just using my brothers log in not that it makes much difference

Plain Talker
27-01-2008, 12:33
Have you had a look in the housing section of the forum? There's a thread about getting social housing, when you are in need, there's a list of housing associations you can apply to, as well as properties offered, privately, that might be of use to you either short- or long-term.

good luck.

pinklady
27-01-2008, 13:13
rotherham homeless application takes 31 days, i presume sheffield will be the same. good luck but i doubt you'll get priority. Have you thought about private rentals?

Ms Macbeth
27-01-2008, 16:10
No time scale is given on SCC website - initially you make a homeless application at First Point in Howden House. An initial decision will be made based on certain criteria. If you meet those, then your case will be passed to a homeless officer, and you'll have an interview (or more than one) to investigate your circumstances. At that point, if a decision is made to give you priority, then you can start bidding on suitable properties. None of it is a quick process, but its possible you could be offered temporary accommodation straight away while your case is investigated. This could well be a hostel, or a B&B. Basically what it says here: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/homeless/assessment

Bear in mind the shortage of family sized council homes. Consider other options for housing you and your children, like private rental or housing associatons.

If you need support, try Shelter. http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-136.cfm

Plain Talker
27-01-2008, 18:21
If you have difficulty raising the equivalent of a month's rent in advance for a "bond" for a privately rented property, contact NOMAD, the homeless advisory charity, as they used to do a "Bond Guarantee Scheme" which would cover you for the bond.

it's worth a try.

honeyb35
27-01-2008, 22:20
If you have difficulty raising the equivalent of a month's rent in advance for a "bond" for a privately rented property, contact NOMAD, the homeless advisory charity, as they used to do a "Bond Guarantee Scheme" which would cover you for the bond.

it's worth a try.

oh thats a good thing, i've never heard of that before

icklesweet
28-01-2008, 15:12
the council also have private rented scheme where they can offer you the bond in these kind of circumstances. My sister has just been granted priorty under special circumstances of over crowding, their decision took a matter of days. She is now free to bid, they have told her it could be more than 16 weeks before she is re housed due to the shortage of propertys.

Good luck.

the council were very helpful at the time, but we were sat there all day, so be prepared for the long haul.

sugarbear264
28-01-2008, 15:47

My daughter has been waiting months and she has just got a house just before christmas. It might be a little shorter for you because you have 2 children. But it does take months keep pestering them every day.

TeaFan
28-01-2008, 18:35
When you make your homeless application with a Customer Services Adviser at First Point, it will be about a week before you are interviewed by a homeless assessment officer. If it looks like you have a case, you can be placed in temporary accommodation while you wait for your full interview. How quickly you get a decision from there depends on how complicated your case is, and how much information the assessment officer needs to check/find out. If they tell you that they don't owe you a duty for rehousing, you get 21 days in which to appeal, and then however long it takes for someone to look at your appeal.

A caveat on the Nomad scheme: I think they can only put up 300, so you are likely to need to top it up, especially if the landlord also wants rent in advance as well as a bond.

rad
28-01-2008, 21:13
When I was homeless and had ill health issues on my priority status too, it took a few weeks to be made priority and abouty six months to be offered somewhere (by which time I'd got a property with a housing association - although their waiting lists were also long). This was in 2006, things may have got better/worse, but I imagine they'd rush a family through quicker than a single adult or couple.

FairyNormal
28-01-2008, 22:23
My daughter has been in a council B&B since mid October and was given her proirity just last week. They are currently paying 57 per night for her to stay there. Surely it would be cheaper to re-house people quicker?

TeaFan
28-01-2008, 22:51
My daughter has been in a council B&B since mid October and was given her proirity just last week. They are currently paying 57 per night for her to stay there. Surely it would be cheaper to re-house people quicker?

Indeed it would, but the problem is not the speed of the processes, it's the lack of properties. It's like when you pour water into a funnel: because there's not enough room for all the water to go through at once, some of it backs up. Because there aren't enough properties for all who need them, lots of them wait in temporary accommodation until something suitable comes up. And the council is still losing over 1000 properties per year to Right to Buy, so it's likely to get worse.

Fougasse
29-01-2008, 10:06
Indeed it would, but the problem is not the speed of the processes, it's the lack of properties. It's like when you pour water into a funnel: because there's not enough room for all the water to go through at once, some of it backs up. Because there aren't enough properties for all who need them, lots of them wait in temporary accommodation until something suitable comes up. And the council is still losing over 1000 properties per year to Right to Buy, so it's likely to get worse.
Is that correct about losing 1000 properties a year to RTB????

TeaFan
29-01-2008, 19:42
Is that correct about losing 1000 properties a year to RTB????

Nearer 1200. Crap, isn't it? And all this time, councils have been prevented from building replacements, and housing associations can't build nearly enough to keep up.

Fougasse
30-01-2008, 11:06
Nearer 1200. Crap, isn't it? And all this time, councils have been prevented from building replacements, and housing associations can't build nearly enough to keep up.
I'm now under the disctinct impression that this is part of a plan. If you think about it, it achieves two aims with one stone.

1. they no longer have to force anyone to get a job - no job = no home. No social housing and pressure from immigration taking up all the slack, plus so much of the market is private landlords who do not take DSS.

2. a new market has been created with buy to let. There are hundreds of thousands of people getting into this market, it's a whole new sector. New mone coming into the markets.

Genious really.

TeaFan
30-01-2008, 18:45
Here you go http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/sheffield-facts-figures/housing-facts-and-figures

Over 1300 properties a year lost to right to buy in the last 5 years. At this rate, in one generation they'll all be gone. And some of the people who bought their house through right to buy (with chunky discount thrown in) then build up waiting time again, and successfully bid for ANOTHER council property, which they can also buy after 2 years. Disgraceful, they should end it now.

Ms Macbeth
30-01-2008, 22:26
Here you go http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/sheffield-facts-figures/housing-facts-and-figures

Over 1300 properties a year lost to right to buy in the last 5 years. At this rate, in one generation they'll all be gone. And some of the people who bought their house through right to buy (with chunky discount thrown in) then build up waiting time again, and successfully bid for ANOTHER council property, which they can also buy after 2 years. Disgraceful, they should end it now.

I agree, I think now that most 'council' estates have become mixed tenure, RTB should not apply to any new tenants. Perhaps also an expiry date - ie 'RTB will end in 2 years' for existing tenants - especially in areas where there are few social properties left. If there was no RTB, I'm sure the number of applicants would go down, leaving those who genuinely need social housing rather than those who see it as a good way to make a profit.

verydull
02-02-2008, 00:02
I just been given 6 week housing prioity on 17th january, south side restricted by the lovely council...... im a single gal, looking to either be slap bang in the centre of sheffield, or low edges jordanthorpe/batemoor.....

how long does it all take, cos i dont think i can cope with the stress much longer...

i keep bidding on properties, and stuff, and yea, keep seeing awaiting decision.

im a control freak and I hate all this not knowing and feeling so out of control..

need input

as they say knowledge is power

(o and hi by the way)

Luce

happyhippy
02-02-2008, 03:31
How long is a piece of string is the answer, really. Are you accepted as homeless, or for priority housing?

SRi-Jonny
02-02-2008, 07:22
I just been given 6 week housing prioity on 17th january, south side restricted by the lovely council...... im a single gal, looking to either be slap bang in the centre of sheffield, or low edges jordanthorpe/batemoor.....

how long does it all take, cos i dont think i can cope with the stress much longer...

i keep bidding on properties, and stuff, and yea, keep seeing awaiting decision.

im a control freak and I hate all this not knowing and feeling so out of control..

need input

(o and hi by the way)

Luce

it took a friend of mine all in all 5 months from start to finish.

how long did it take you to get priority if you don't mind me asking?? :D

honeyb35
02-02-2008, 10:21
i've had mobility priority since june.......still waiting lol. mind you they dont come up very often. my neice had overcrowding priority and it took about 6 months

jon&emma
02-02-2008, 18:40

need input

(o and hi by the way)

Luce
hi luce we was on the waiting list for 6 months and i no how you feel it was the worst time of my life. only had our property for 3 months now, just watch out cus the council will put you in any old dump, and as for bidding for a home omg that is all we did for 6 months and then ended up with a house we hadnt bid for and it was in a right state even though we were told on viewing the property it would be all sorted before we moved in.
i know you probably didnt want to hear this but needed to warn you of the council. all i can say is good luck. will keep my fingers crossed for you.:)

Ms Macbeth
02-02-2008, 19:05
Mod note: Threads merged

verydull
03-02-2008, 08:24
i just got offered a welll grot bag flat, i went to look at the outside and its well um....

no security

doors kicked in
windows smashed.

me as a vunerable adult, would i have reasonable grounds to turn it down?

how would that affect my prioity status. i came from a domestic abuse situation, and id rather live back there than in that dump?

agggggghhhh

took me 2 months just to get prioity.....

(which i should really learn to spell....)

luce

SRi-Jonny
03-02-2008, 10:00
i just got offered a welll grot bag flat, i went to look at the outside and its well um....

no security

doors kicked in
windows smashed.

me as a vunerable adult, would i have reasonable grounds to turn it down?

how would that affect my prioity status. i came from a domestic abuse situation, and id rather live back there than in that dump?

agggggghhhh

took me 2 months just to get prioity.....

(which i should really learn to spell....)

luce

my friend has just come out of a violent relationship & she has gone to council because is staying with family.
They told her she would have to be put at opposite side of sheffield to where she is now because its a domestic violence case.

Is this what they said to you because she only has her parents for support & wants to stay close by for help & support with her two children. :confused: :help:

verydull
03-02-2008, 12:23
i couldnt get the original dom. abuse homeless person to listen

they sent me back home,

so i ended up in a homeless hostel, after one weekend of hell, with no stuff at all..... (but thats another story)

so im just on homeless priority of 6 weeks.

and im scared of even loosing my place here if i turn that down.

luce

jon&emma
03-02-2008, 15:21
i couldnt get the original dom. abuse homeless person to listen

they sent me back home,

so i ended up in a homeless hostel, after one weekend of hell, with no stuff at all..... (but thats another story)

so im just on homeless priority of 6 weeks.

and im scared of even loosing my place here if i turn that down.

luce
do you know the area were you have been offered the property? i ask because when we got ours we had all windows smashed the property was filthy and there was glass alover the place, the outside of the property was a total jungle and stunk like a sewer [please mind my spelling]. but as soon as we moved in we had no trouble with having windows smashed or being abused or anything. we new the area thats the only reason why we took the property otherwise i would have rather been back at the hotel until another came up. so i think you'd be fine if u no the area aslong as you get the council to sort the windows and other stuff before you move in plus if the flat is a mess inside you can get decorating allowence to do up the flat.

verydull
03-02-2008, 15:27
its gleadless valley

i was scared of being there.

even under the "old system" it wouldnt appear on my choices. under the new "choice" system........ it was put on my bidding list AFTER the end of the bids for this last week, (you can see G.V on my previous weeks have been way down the list of my preference)

so much for choice.

im just scared of being made homeless, but i cant jump from the frying pan into the fire.

luce

leviathan13
03-02-2008, 16:18
its gleadless valley

even under the "old system" it wouldnt appear on my choices. under the new "choice" system........ it was put on my bidding list AFTER the end of the bids for this last week, (you can see G.V on my previous weeks have been way down the list of my preference)

so much for choice.

im just scared of being made homeless, but i cant jump from the frying pan into the fire.

luce

All parts of Sheffield have their good and bad bits. I lived at Gleadless valley for 3 years and never had any trouble. You say you're homeless and in NEED of a roof over your head, surely a property at Gleadless is better than no property at all?

lost
03-02-2008, 17:41
despite what people are saying me and my wife got homeless priority, from start to moving in it only took 12 weeks, we went down to the council told them which areas we didn't want to live in, they told us to bid on the houses in the areas we did want to live and we would get one in one of them and we did.
p.s they told us that it would be 18 weeks from the date you get homeless priority

jon&emma
03-02-2008, 17:50
its gleadless valley

so much for choice.

luce
have you explained you dont want to be in g.v and explained why cus when we applied for prioroty we had options to choose from. and im sure they wouldnt put you there if you were abused there.

jon&emma
03-02-2008, 17:52
despite what people are saying me and my wife got homeless priority, from start to moving in it only took 12 weeks, we went down to the council told them which areas we didn't want to live in, they told us to bid on the houses in the areas we did want to live and we would get one in one of them and we did.
p.s they told us that it would be 18 weeks from the date you get homeless priority

you were very lucky then :) we lived in a hotel for a month and got to know the managment very well and he also said its very rare to get were you want.

verydull
03-02-2008, 18:03
im just scared to live there full stop.

not to do with abuse or anything. I suffer from agraphobia and would be scared to leave the flat.

would do wonders for my mental health...

not...

luce

and plse dont b negative bout homelessness ty.

jon&emma
03-02-2008, 18:19
was trying to help

verydull
03-02-2008, 18:22
that wasnt aimed at you

see above about roof over my head.........

luce

Plain Talker
03-02-2008, 18:56
As Leviathan said, surely if you are homeless, any roof over your head is better than no roof at all?

did you read my coments on the other thread about priority? I had to go homeless as a result of DV.

I was given a totally loppy place at stocksbridge, which was about as far as humanly possible from the side of town I needed / wanted to be, (I wanted/ needed to be near my family for support, and they were out manor top/ mosborough-townships corridor) It was quite obvious that the number of people who had turned it down had turned it down because of the filthiness. even the elderly lady who lived next door said "it should'a been 'stoved' before it was let to anyone!" (stoved= fumigated)

I had to accept that property, as filthy as it was:- after all, if I could turn my nose up at a property ... just how homeless am I?

I was handed the keys by the woman at the town hall. "There you are, sign here, this is what you are accepting! bang! job's a good'un!"

Plain Talker
03-02-2008, 18:59
im just scared to live there full stop.

not to do with abuse or anything. I suffer from agraphobia and would be scared to leave the flat.

would do wonders for my mental health...

not...

luce

and plse dont b negative bout homelessness ty.

if you are agoraphobic, surely you are going to be agoraphobic anywhere? and you'll need support and counselling, no matter where you will be living?

(At least that's how I find my agoraphobia and panic attacks work... I do fight against them:- some days the "ag" wins, some days I win. it varies)

joffandanmum
03-02-2008, 19:03
my grandmother is in a 3 bedroomed house and is wanting to move out to a ground floor flat on bowdenwood estate to be nearer family.
she had a worker come to see her who said that she would bid on suitable flats.... I have discovered that she did not bid and 3 have gone in the last 6 months...wasted opportunity. or something .

she has high demand release priority...they are supposed to be desparate for family homes ..... gimme a break

Ms Macbeth
03-02-2008, 21:46
my grandmother is in a 3 bedroomed house and is wanting to move out to a ground floor flat on bowdenwood estate to be nearer family.
she had a worker come to see her who said that she would bid on suitable flats.... I have discovered that she did not bid and 3 have gone in the last 6 months...wasted opportunity. or something .

she has high demand release priority...they are supposed to be desparate for family homes ..... gimme a break

Have you thought about advertising for an exchange for your grandmother? I bet there are a few families in flats who would love to swap for a house.

It sounds like she was let down by someone not bidding on her behalf, but it might be an idea to point that out to Sheffield Homes if you haven't already done so. If your grandmother isn't able to sort things out for herself, she can give a family member written permission to get involved on her behalf. Might speed things up a bit.

jon&emma
03-02-2008, 23:41
that wasnt aimed at you

see above about roof over my head.........

luce
ok sorry didnt see that one:)

FairyNormal
04-02-2008, 10:11
verydull :

My daughter has been accepted on SYHA Thursday project and maybe this could be some help to you. It's a supported housing project for vulnerable adults and offers 2 years support. They help with everything, making sure you pay your bills to aranging counselling and any other support you may need to live independantly. You get given housing priority with the council and bid on propertys as normal but when offered, SYHA sign on your behalf and sublet it to you for 2 years. It give you 2 years with support and is a fantastic project. A named worker meets with you every week and will help with any problems that arise. They help you get the flat sorted out and furnish it too. It could be worth you looking into it.

My only worry is the lack of properties available. She's been advised not to bid on any with district heating charge as there is no way she could afford 15 a week on top of all her normal bills and expenses so that cuts those ones out, loads are over 40's, over 60's or for mobility so they're a no no. She has to bid on at least 3 properties a week but sometimes there just aren't any that she fits the criteria for. Her priority is for 4 weeks then can be extended by another 4 weeks. The housing woman reckoned it takes about 6 weeks to be re-housed. She was given priority a few weeks ago but has been living in a B&B since mid october and has been bidding since then with no luck at all. If she doesn't bid on at least 3 properties a week, they can bid on her behalf which means she could end up anywhere. They say she is vulnerable and in need of support but could end up somewhere like Exeter Drive just because there is nowere else.

SRi-Jonny
04-02-2008, 17:31
verydull :

My daughter has been accepted on SYHA Thursday project and maybe this could be some help to you. It's a supported housing project for vulnerable adults and offers 2 years support. They help with everything, making sure you pay your bills to aranging counselling and any other support you may need to live independantly. You get given housing priority with the council and bid on propertys as normal but when offered, SYHA sign on your behalf and sublet it to you for 2 years. It give you 2 years with support and is a fantastic project. A named worker meets with you every week and will help with any problems that arise. They help you get the flat sorted out and furnish it too. It could be worth you looking into it.

My only worry is the lack of properties available. She's been advised not to bid on any with district heating charge as there is no way she could afford 15 a week on top of all her normal bills and expenses so that cuts those ones out, loads are over 40's, over 60's or for mobility so they're a no no. She has to bid on at least 3 properties a week but sometimes there just aren't any that she fits the criteria for. Her priority is for 4 weeks then can be extended by another 4 weeks. The housing woman reckoned it takes about 6 weeks to be re-housed. She was given priority a few weeks ago but has been living in a B&B since mid october and has been bidding since then with no luck at all. If she doesn't bid on at least 3 properties a week, they can bid on her behalf which means she could end up anywhere. They say she is vulnerable and in need of support but could end up somewhere like Exeter Drive just because there is nowere else.

Thankyou for that. is there any age limit on the supported help?
How long did her priority take from applying??
:):):):):):):

the_bloke
04-02-2008, 22:43
My family and I have been a priority case since the middle of December, for a 2 bedroom property on the south side of Sheffield.

Waiting time was quoted as 2 weeks to four months at the interview, I have now been told two months to four months.

On the Property Shop website, you can see the previously available properties which have been allocated; doesn't sound useful except it also shows you the date when whoever was allocated the property became a priority case.

Currently, people who were given priority status in September are now getting houses, which suggests a four/five month waiting time.

They do say bidding on flats and maisonettes as well as houses will get you a place quicker, but take that with a pinch of salt. So far, it hasn't made any difference for us.

Suitable flats for a small family are few and far between. Most flats that appear for bidding on are either mobility equipped ground floor flats or which you don't have priority, or high rises which don't allow children under the age of sixteen.

Some tips if you are in genuine need and been given priority:

a) Bid on at least five properties every cycle
b) There are less available south side than north side
c) Some areas always always have properties available, such as Parson Cross, Southey etc.
d) Don't bother bidding on houses which have priority for people coming from estates being demolished. They have priority over you, even though they still have a roof over their head, and some of us do not.
e) If you can afford it, and don't own any furniture of your own, bid on furnished properties. Wait time on these are weeks rather than months, as no one wants them.
f) Do not, under any circumstance, bid on something you do not want to live in. If you are offered it, you must take it, otherwise you can't really be needing a home can you?

My condolences for anyone like myself going hrough this process.

FairyNormal
04-02-2008, 23:10
Thankyou for that. is there any age limit on the supported help?
How long did her priority take from applying??
:):):):):):):

Hi

She has been in a B&B since mid october and was finally given her priority on Jan 25th.

I have to say that the homeless section were pretty useless. The officer just kept saying that as far as they could see, she had no reason to be given priority but there was no way they would even consider giving her a tenancy as she was too naive and vulnerable and unable to live on her own, and in their opinion she would end up getting evicted within months! However, they never offered her any support at all and basically said that unless her GP said she had reasons for being rehoused, she would be given 2-3 days to vacate the B&B and she would be on the streets. End of! I ended up phoning SYHA and getting a refferal pack for the Thursday Project and told them that they needed to reffer her. They's never even mentioned it to her. If it was up to them, she'd be on the streets now.

As for age limits, I have no idea. You'd be best off calling them.
This is taken from their website and includes a phone number.

Thursday Project, City Wide, Sheffield
Supported Housing
tel 0114 223 8023
We take unfurnished properties and house people leaving the Sheffield voluntary sector. We help furnish the properties with occupants having a choice in what items are bought. We work with the occupants, providing support and aiming to equip them with the necessary lifeskills and to increase their confidence to manage by themselves. When occupants are ready to leave, we withdraw our support and the occupant remains in the property.
Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Ms Macbeth
05-02-2008, 07:05
Hi

She has been in a B&B since mid october and was finally given her priority on Jan 25th.

I have to say that the homeless section were pretty useless. The officer just kept saying that as far as they could see, she had no reason to be given priority but there was no way they would even consider giving her a tenancy as she was too naive and vulnerable and unable to live on her own, and in their opinion she would end up getting evicted within months! However, they never offered her any support at all and basically said that unless her GP said she had reasons for being rehoused, she would be given 2-3 days to vacate the B&B and she would be on the streets. End of! I ended up phoning SYHA and getting a refferal pack for the Thursday Project and told them that they needed to reffer her. They's never even mentioned it to her. If it was up to them, she'd be on the streets now.

As for age limits, I have no idea. You'd be best off calling them.
This is taken from their website and includes a phone number.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
< snipped >

The Homeless officer should have explained about tenancy support. It's vital for some people regardless of their age, as many tenancies do fail in the early days. Some people find the responsibility of having to pay rent/sort out benefits very daunting and either get into a mess or just leave. Others can't cope with the isolation of living alone.

I hope your daughter had some support during her homeless interviews, especially if she is vulnerable. Rehousing policy is complex, homeless priority often takes a lot of investigation, and isn't always clear cut, especially when its for a single person. If, after a full investigation, someone is found not to be a priority, then the council have no responsibility for providing accommodation - so wouldn't pay for the B & B any more.

B&B's are used as emergency/temporary accommodation - but they aren't compulsory. They are however, a very expensive solution for the council. Someone who is accepted as homeless could stay with friends or family on a temporary basis while they are waiting for permanent accommodation.

There are a lot of young people out there trying to cope on their own. Lots of reasons why, but many of them would rather stay with their families than live on their own, where they might not know anyone - but they don't have that option. Tenancy support organisations can fill some of the gap.

verydull
05-02-2008, 12:09
hi

thanks for the replies. to be honest iv been scard to look cos of all the negativity surrounding the posting. thanks for the understanding finally.

I didnt even bid on g.v. in previous weeks i have bid on every area apart from g.v.

the hostel where im staying was pretty useless, but monday am, my college support workers took over for me.

got me a referral to community action halfway homes, sounds very much like the thursday project. and also rang the council to state i couldnt live in a high rise cos of suicide risk.

I was facing monday am the prospect of being chucked out of hostel for turning down this property (which i have shown no interest in, and wasnt even on my bidding list til at least thursday, cant prove it, but im convinced... its not even got a preference number by it) and loosing my prioty.

by monday pm, community action halfway had my application form, assinging me a key worker, and the council were reconsidering the offer of the high rise due to the intervention of college support.

im still waiting for outcomes. but its looking positive.

thank god for college and thank god for decent advocates!

phew.

thanks once again. this is all great info, ill get my hostel worker to look into thursday project as well... cant harm having all options open to me.

luce

FairyNormal
05-02-2008, 12:30
I hope your daughter had some support during her homeless interviews, especially if she is vulnerable.

The situation is complex. I cannot have her living at home any more for reasons I need not go into here but have not abandoned her either. I still feed her and act as her advocate, which is a good job really as getting information and support from the council is like getting blood out of a stone. When they first contacted me to assess if she really was homeless, the first thing they asked was for me to conform that she had learning difficulties as they said it was pretty obvious. As she has never been diagnosed with anything apart from Dyslexia I said no. So we had a situation where on one hand they were saying she was vulnerable and incapable of living without support to the point where they wouldn't consider an independant tenancy, but on the other hand they offered no support or advice as to what was on offer except for giving us a list of hostels for if they kicked her out of the B&B. If it wasn't for me phoning round and finding the information out myself then I dread to think where she'd be now. As she isn't a drug user, an alcoholic or a teenage mum/pregnant she didn't fit any criteria. Thankfully SYHA were fantastic and I am sure she will thrive with their support.

TeaFan
05-02-2008, 18:38
The situation is complex. I cannot have her living at home any more for reasons I need not go into here but have not abandoned her either. I still feed her and act as her advocate, which is a good job really as getting information and support from the council is like getting blood out of a stone. When they first contacted me to assess if she really was homeless, the first thing they asked was for me to conform that she had learning difficulties as they said it was pretty obvious. As she has never been diagnosed with anything apart from Dyslexia I said no. So we had a situation where on one hand they were saying she was vulnerable and incapable of living without support to the point where they wouldn't consider an independant tenancy, but on the other hand they offered no support or advice as to what was on offer except for giving us a list of hostels for if they kicked her out of the B&B. If it wasn't for me phoning round and finding the information out myself then I dread to think where she'd be now. As she isn't a drug user, an alcoholic or a teenage mum/pregnant she didn't fit any criteria. Thankfully SYHA were fantastic and I am sure she will thrive with their support.

I'm very pleased to hear that Fairy Normal. Unfortunately most systems for getting anything sorted in this country are so complex that it's very hard to navigate your way through - well done on coming through for your daughter. Honestly, although it's hard work and time-consuming, getting clued up on how things work is one of the best things a person can do to have an easier life. All the best, TF

Ms Macbeth
05-02-2008, 21:15
I'm very pleased to hear that Fairy Normal. Unfortunately most systems for getting anything sorted in this country are so complex that it's very hard to navigate your way through - well done on coming through for your daughter. Honestly, although it's hard work and time-consuming, getting clued up on how things work is one of the best things a person can do to have an easier life. All the best, TF

I couldn't agree more.

jon&emma
05-02-2008, 23:53
My family and I have been a priority case since the middle of December, for a 2 bedroom property on the south side of Sheffield.

Waiting time was quoted as 2 weeks to four months at the interview, I have now been told two months to four months.

On the Property Shop website, you can see the previously available properties which have been allocated; doesn't sound useful except it also shows you the date when whoever was allocated the property became a priority case.

Currently, people who were given priority status in September are now getting houses, which suggests a four/five month waiting time.

They do say bidding on flats and maisonettes as well as houses will get you a place quicker, but take that with a pinch of salt. So far, it hasn't made any difference for us.

Suitable flats for a small family are few and far between. Most flats that appear for bidding on are either mobility equipped ground floor flats or which you don't have priority, or high rises which don't allow children under the age of sixteen.

Some tips if you are in genuine need and been given priority:

a) Bid on at least five properties every cycle
b) There are less available south side than north side
c) Some areas always always have properties available, such as Parson Cross, Southey etc.
d) Don't bother bidding on houses which have priority for people coming from estates being demolished. They have priority over you, even though they still have a roof over their head, and some of us do not.
e) If you can afford it, and don't own any furniture of your own, bid on furnished properties. Wait time on these are weeks rather than months, as no one wants them.
f) Do not, under any circumstance, bid on something you do not want to live in. If you are offered it, you must take it, otherwise you can't really be needing a home can you?

My condolences for anyone like myself going hrough this process.

Been through all that and my family we had to stay in b&b. some of your points are very true but as for bidding for parsoncross and southy, we had no chance of getting those either and we was only given this property 3 months ago. we was given a maisonette in foxhill that we didnt even bid for or that wasnt in the property shop, i sobbed my eyes out when i got the letter.i tthought wat was the point in bidding for homes when they are just going to give us anything. i was really mad, can i just say be very wary of the council becaus we was given a right dump and we are actually gonna get legal advice about what they have done to us. we have written complaints after complaints but they are not replying to us at all. just be careful what you say yes too.

jon&emma
05-02-2008, 23:59
hi

thanks for the replies. to be honest iv been scard to look cos of all the negativity surrounding the posting. thanks for the understanding finally.

I didnt even bid on g.v. in previous weeks i have bid on every area apart from g.v.

the hostel where im staying was pretty useless, but monday am, my college support workers took over for me.

got me a referral to community action halfway homes, sounds very much like the thursday project. and also rang the council to state i couldnt live in a high rise cos of suicide risk.

I was facing monday am the prospect of being chucked out of hostel for turning down this property (which i have shown no interest in, and wasnt even on my bidding list til at least thursday, cant prove it, but im convinced... its not even got a preference number by it) and loosing my prioty.

by monday pm, community action halfway had my application form, assinging me a key worker, and the council were reconsidering the offer of the high rise due to the intervention of college support.

im still waiting for outcomes. but its looking positive.

thank god for college and thank god for decent advocates!

phew.

thanks once again. this is all great info, ill get my hostel worker to look into thursday project as well... cant harm having all options open to me.

luce
im glad to see you are getting somewere. just like to say good luck with everything.

jon&emma
06-02-2008, 00:04
The Homeless officer should have explained about tenancy support. It's vital for some people regardless of their age, as many tenancies do fail in the early days. Some people find the responsibility of having to pay rent/sort out benefits very daunting and either get into a mess or just leave. Others can't cope with the isolation of living alone.

I hope your daughter had some support during her homeless interviews, especially if she is vulnerable. Rehousing policy is complex, homeless priority often takes a lot of investigation, and isn't always clear cut, especially when its for a single person. If, after a full investigation, someone is found not to be a priority, then the council have no responsibility for providing accommodation - so wouldn't pay for the B & B any more.

B&B's are used as emergency/temporary accommodation - but they aren't compulsory. They are however, a very expensive solution for the council. Someone who is accepted as homeless could stay with friends or family on a temporary basis while they are waiting for permanent accommodation.

There are a lot of young people out there trying to cope on their own. Lots of reasons why, but many of them would rather stay with their families than live on their own, where they might not know anyone - but they don't have that option. Tenancy support organisations can fill some of the gap.
we opted for tennancy support but didnt hear anything from them till 4 weeks after we moved in the property, they said they were too busy. not good is it.

Ms Macbeth
06-02-2008, 08:35
Been through all that and my family we had to stay in b&b. some of your points are very true but as for bidding for parsoncross and southy, we had no chance of getting those either and we was only given this property 3 months ago. we was given a maisonette in foxhill that we didnt even bid for or that wasnt in the property shop, i sobbed my eyes out when i got the letter.i tthought wat was the point in bidding for homes when they are just going to give us anything. i was really mad, can i just say be very wary of the council becaus we was given a right dump and we are actually gonna get legal advice about what they have done to us. we have written complaints after complaints but they are not replying to us at all. just be careful what you say yes too.

The point about homeless priority is that you need to bid on anything thats the right size for you/your family. If you limit your bids just to the type of home and area you want, then you are limiting your chances of being rehoused. The council can't afford to keep people in B&B indefinitely (might not be 5* but it costs an arm and a leg on Housing Benefit) so when a suitable property comes up you should bid on it. Getting homeless priority isn't a passport to the home you really want, its an opportunity to get a roof over your heads.

If you really feel that you have been treated unfairly, then get advice from an organisation like the Citizens' Advice Bureau, or Shelter. Perhaps your tenancy support officer can help too?

verydull
06-02-2008, 16:29

see.... this was were i think my problem lay. with the council literally "forcing the bid" onto me for this place. now, last week I didnt have any proof of this, but this week i have prepared. I have taken a screenprint (although going to a library and spending out for a couple of phyiscal printouts is a good idea too) on tuesday afternoon just after 4pm of my bids to prove what was there then, so that if the council try anything I have proof.

just an idea for anyone currently going through the system.

luce

honeyb35
06-02-2008, 17:13
they do state on letters regarding priority that 'if the applicant doesn not bid on a suitable property then they will do it on your behalf' which is what will have happened. I've just been contacted to offer me a property at westfield despite promising me and health professionals that they wouldnt offer properties away from my chosen areas (we have mobility priority and need to stay in this area). Now I know I havent bid on that, and I also cant recall any adapted properties being on the list in that area - 3 bed adapted are few and far between so i can usually remember where they are. Which means its either not adapted or it hasnt been on the list yet.
Anyway I digress, I'm not saying its good that the council bid on stuff you obviously dont want or you would have bid. but thats what will have happened, and will be all they say when you ask why.

jon&emma
06-02-2008, 22:18
they do state on letters regarding priority that 'if the applicant doesn not bid on a suitable property then they will do it on your behalf' which is what will have happened. I've just been contacted to offer me a property at westfield despite promising me and health professionals that they wouldnt offer properties away from my chosen areas (we have mobility priority and need to stay in this area). Now I know I havent bid on that, and I also cant recall any adapted properties being on the list in that area - 3 bed adapted are few and far between so i can usually remember where they are. Which means its either not adapted or it hasnt been on the list yet.
Anyway I digress, I'm not saying its good that the council bid on stuff you obviously dont want or you would have bid. but thats what will have happened, and will be all they say when you ask why.
we bid on atleast 2 properties every week so no one should have done it for us, and the property we got wasnt even in the property shop or never has been.

honeyb35
06-02-2008, 22:39
we bid on atleast 2 properties every week so no one should have done it for us, and the property we got wasnt even in the property shop or never has been.

no like i said, thats whats happened to me i think. It does make you wonder, the property shop states that 'it gives people more choice' but in all honesty, it doesnt seem like anythings changed. My neice has a house following overcrowding priority and she didnt bid on that. Mind you hers is ok, so she wonders if it was ever up for bidding at all.

jon&emma
06-02-2008, 22:53
The point about homeless priority is that you need to bid on anything thats the right size for you/your family. If you limit your bids just to the type of home and area you want, then you are limiting your chances of being rehoused. The council can't afford to keep people in B&B indefinitely (might not be 5* but it costs an arm and a leg on Housing Benefit) so when a suitable property comes up you should bid on it. Getting homeless priority isn't a passport to the home you really want, its an opportunity to get a roof over your heads.

If you really feel that you have been treated unfairly, then get advice from an organisation like the Citizens' Advice Bureau, or Shelter. Perhaps your tenancy support officer can help too?

ok we didnt limmit our bids, and who is bothered how much it is costing the council when you are in a situation like this plus when we were in a b&b we still had to pay 30 a week to the council which we wouldnt have had to pay if we had a property, if you have been in this situation before then youd understand. and who said that homeless priority was a passport to getting a house you want, not me, never even thought we would and we didnt.
you see people who dont understand thease situations should keep thair opinions to themselfs.
to get prioroty rehousing you cannot have made youself homeless which we didnt, i dont want to go into it but we did not make ourselfs homeless for from it actually.
Being a moderator you shouldnt be so negative especially on a threads like this. EG:-[Getting homeless priority isn't a passport to the home you really want,]&[The council can't afford to keep people in B&B indefinitely (might not be 5* but it costs an arm and a leg on Housing Benefit).

honeyb35
06-02-2008, 23:00
ok we didnt limmit our bids, and who is bothered how much it is costing the council when you are in a situation like this plus when we were in a b&b we still had to pay 30 a week to the council which we wouldnt have had to pay if we had a property, if you have been in this situation before then youd understand. and who said that homeless priority was a passport to getting a house you want, not me, never even thought we would and we didnt.
you see people who dont understand thease situations should keep thair opinions to themselfs.
to get prioroty rehousing you cannot have made youself homeless which we didnt, i dont want to go into it but we did not make ourselfs homeless for from it actually.
Being a moderator you shouldnt be so negative especially on a threads like this. EG:-[Getting homeless priority isn't a passport to the home you really want,]&[The council can't afford to keep people in B&B indefinitely (might not be 5* but it costs an arm and a leg on Housing Benefit).

:o that seems a bit rude, surely its better to have all the facts as they are, personally I'd rather know everything how it is and welcome advice?

Plain Talker
06-02-2008, 23:16

I disagree with your comment J&E.

firstly MS Macbeth is a very fair very well balanced and intelligent moderator and member.

Secondly, it is a fact that social housing is scarce, and the right to buy scheme doesn't help.

When I was homeless I spent two and a half months in a homeless hostel before getting housed.

It was shelter until I got my "new" house, as good, bad, or indifferent as it was.

My new house was grotty, too, but *meh*:- I had a roof over my head. Even if it was in entirely the wrong area for my needs, it was a home. It was the correct size for my needs, it was mine, all mine, (!) and as I needed a home i couldn't very well turn my nose up.

If you are homeless, you can't be choosy (except, perhaps, if you need a mobility property, and they try to put you in a top floor flat!).

jon&emma
07-02-2008, 00:35
I disagree with your comment J&E.

firstly MS Macbeth is a very fair very well balanced and intelligent moderator and member.

Secondly, it is a fact that social housing is scarce, and the right to buy scheme doesn't help.

When I was homeless I spent two and a half months in a homeless hostel before getting housed.

It was shelter until I got my "new" house, as good, bad, or indifferent as it was.

My new house was grotty, too, but *meh*:- I had a roof over my head. Even if it was in entirely the wrong area for my needs, it was a home. It was the correct size for my needs, it was mine, all mine, (!) and as I needed a home i couldn't very well turn my nose up.

If you are homeless, you can't be choosy (except, perhaps, if you need a mobility property, and they try to put you in a top floor flat!).
can you tell me how thease comments are very fair to us as the moderater has no idea of our cercumctances and what we have been through?

jon&emma
07-02-2008, 00:50
:o that seems a bit rude, surely its better to have all the facts as they are, personally I'd rather know everything how it is and welcome advice?the reason i put the quote to ms mcbeath is because to me it seems like she was saying we got prioroty just to get a better home and it was like she was bothered about the council and not the homeless. just wondering if she workes for the council and thats why she put this that would answer alot if she did, now im not a nasty person but i just thought to put something like that on here and aimed at me was not a nice thing, i know i may have got it wrong but would like her views on this, i dont expect anyone else to understand because it wasnt aimed at them.

Ms Macbeth
07-02-2008, 07:31
the reason i put the quote to ms mcbeath is because to me it seems like she was saying we got prioroty just to get a better home and it was like she was bothered about the council and not the homeless. just wondering if she workes for the council and thats why she put this that would answer alot if she did, now im not a nasty person but i just thought to put something like that on here and aimed at me was not a nice thing, i know i may have got it wrong but would like her views on this, i dont expect anyone else to understand because it wasnt aimed at them.

First of all let me say I'm sorry if you thought I was having a go at you personally, that wasn't the case. Secondly, even though I'm a mod, I can and do post as an ordinary forummer. If the thread needed serious moderation, then I wouldn't do it.

I don't work for the council, but I have had years of working in housing and with homeless applicants. I try and post factually about the reality (shortage) of council housing as it is nowadays. In my experience, many people don't want to know, or understand the real issues in getting a property from the council.

Anyone who gets homeless priority qualifies for housing - nowhere have I suggested they don't. I don't know what properties you bid on, but you must be aware that there is a limit on the time for homeless priority. The council can't stick to the time limits because there just aren't enough properties to meet the need of everyone with priority quickly - so they extend the time until something suitable is found. The fact that the one you got wasn't advertised could mean you actually got it quicker than if it had gone through the full process? honeyb35 makes the same point in her post 'if the applicant doesn not bid on a suitable property then they will do it on your behalf'. OK, it might not have been a 'bid' but it seems they found you a property of the right size.

The money that councils spend on housing benefits comes from us, the taxpayers. So it makes sense to try and move people out of B&B's as quickly as possible - it also makes sense to get people into permanent accommodation as quickly as possible, so they are no longer homeless. PlainTalker makes the most important point 'I had a roof over my head'. Where I said 'getting homeless priority isn't a passport to the home you really want, its an opportunity to get a roof over your heads' I appreciate it may have come across as directed at you, but it was meant as a general comment. Mainly because the duty of the local authority is to provide a suitable home, which in many cases they do, but often it isn't what the applicant would choose. Unless there is a really good reason for refusing it, such as in honeyb35's case, then people can lose their priority and end up with nothing.

At the end of my post, I did suggest a couple of agencies you could contact if you felt you had been treated unfairly. That was a genuine suggestion.

jon&emma
07-02-2008, 09:26
First of all let me say I'm sorry if you thought I was having a go at you personally, that wasn't the case. Secondly, even though I'm a mod, I can and do post as an ordinary forummer. If the thread needed serious moderation, then I wouldn't do it.

I don't work for the council, but I have had years of working in housing and with homeless applicants. I try and post factually about the reality (shortage) of council housing as it is nowadays. In my experience, many people don't want to know, or understand the real issues in getting a property from the council.

Anyone who gets homeless priority qualifies for housing - nowhere have I suggested they don't. I don't know what properties you bid on, but you must be aware that there is a limit on the time for homeless priority. The council can't stick to the time limits because there just aren't enough properties to meet the need of everyone with priority quickly - so they extend the time until something suitable is found. The fact that the one you got wasn't advertised could mean you actually got it quicker than if it had gone through the full process? honeyb35 makes the same point in her post 'if the applicant doesn not bid on a suitable property then they will do it on your behalf'. OK, it might not have been a 'bid' but it seems they found you a property of the right size.

The money that councils spend on housing benefits comes from us, the taxpayers. So it makes sense to try and move people out of B&B's as quickly as possible - it also makes sense to get people into permanent accommodation as quickly as possible, so they are no longer homeless. PlainTalker makes the most important point 'I had a roof over my head'. Where I said 'getting homeless priority isn't a passport to the home you really want, its an opportunity to get a roof over your heads' I appreciate it may have come across as directed at you, but it was meant as a general comment. Mainly because the duty of the local authority is to provide a suitable home, which in many cases they do, but often it isn't what the applicant would choose. Unless there is a really good reason for refusing it, such as in honeyb35's case, then people can lose their priority and end up with nothing.

At the end of my post, I did suggest a couple of agencies you could contact if you felt you had been treated unfairly. That was a genuine suggestion.
ms mcbeath thankyou for posting back, i do understand what you were saying. As i stated before in previous posts i just thought you were aiming it at us because you quoted us, where you said i must be aware of the time of getting a property, this hasnt come up in a post of mine, we waited over 5 months for a property and i am fine with that never said any different. i also know were the money comes from for housing bennifit, i probably know more than you think as iv been through it very reacently with a disabled husband, a disabled son and 2 very young children, which i think you can appriciate how hard it is even now. it wasnt just going through prioroty that was hard but when we moved into this property we had so much trouble, ill give you a few examples; the first night we was here we couldnt lock the front door as the lock was broken, there was glass allover the place, we had most of our windows smashed and they didnt get reglased for 3 weeks and the most of all the central heating- the boiler was kicking carbon monoxide into the house and this wasnt picked up for two months even though we was on the councils back to come and check it oh yes they did 2 times it was the same bloke and another just said nothing wrong with it then when we gott transco out they condemmed it and told us we were lucky to be alive. thats not all there was alot more wrong that should have been done before we was given the property, now i hope you can see why i have nothin good to say about the council. But i do thankyou for apologising.
Emma:)

FairyNormal
07-02-2008, 09:44
This is obviously a very raw subject for a lot of people including myself. People end up homeless for a huge variety of reasons and the stress it causes is immense. I was myself homeless at 17. In those days you were given priority and offered 3 choices of property on either Hyde Park, Park Hill or Kelvin. You took one of the three or it was tough luck! I took Kelvin and ended up staying till it was demolished and loved every minute of living there! It's very different now. Then, you could almost walk into a property within a week or so. Now, there is nothing left. My daughter has been told she has to bid on at least 3 properties a week or they will do it for her, regardless of what areas she has put down for. A friends daughter with priority was told she had to bid on 10 a week! Sometimes there aren't 2 never mind 10!

The property paper that comes out every week doesn't even list all the properties available. I make sure we look on the website as it has far more than are listed in the paper and looking in the property shop is a good idea too.

I know how tough it is, I have been there. You just have to try and stay strong. :)

Ms Macbeth
07-02-2008, 11:14
ms mcbeath thankyou for posting back, i do understand what you were saying. As i stated before in previous posts i just thought you were aiming it at us because you quoted us, where you said i must be aware of the time of getting a property, this hasnt come up in a post of mine, we waited over 5 months for a property and i am fine with that never said any different. i also know were the money comes from for housing bennifit, i probably know more than you think as iv been through it very reacently with a disabled husband, a disabled son and 2 very young children, which i think you can appriciate how hard it is even now. it wasnt just going through prioroty that was hard but when we moved into this property we had so much trouble, ill give you a few examples; the first night we was here we couldnt lock the front door as the lock was broken, there was glass allover the place, we had most of our windows smashed and they didnt get reglased for 3 weeks and the most of all the central heating- the boiler was kicking carbon monoxide into the house and this wasnt picked up for two months even though we was on the councils back to come and check it oh yes they did 2 times it was the same bloke and another just said nothing wrong with it then when we gott transco out they condemmed it and told us we were lucky to be alive. thats not all there was alot more wrong that should have been done before we was given the property, now i hope you can see why i have nothin good to say about the council. But i do thankyou for apologising.
Emma:)

Sounds like lots of issues that should have been seen to, either before you moved in or much sooner after. Not good. I hope that the problems have been sorted, and that your home now feels like home. 5 months is a long time to be homeless, but as so many people have already said - there just aren't the council properties any more. 1200 a year being sold through right to buy has a real knock on effect, especially as a lot are family sized houses - and are on estates that people really want.

Boobags
09-02-2008, 08:08
Hi, grim statistics I am afraid! I have children too, from making an application to being re-housed took us 12 1/2 months. Horrid experience, bed and breakfast and homeless hostels - are you sure you want to go through this, some feel it is an 'easy route' to a council house, IT IS NOT. Health grounds I had, cancer, I still was put through the mill. By the way, in case you are thinking the 12.5 months was AFTER I had been awarded priority status!!!!!!!!!!!! I would not wish this on my worst enemy. Good luck love, you'll need it.

Ms Macbeth
09-02-2008, 08:59
Hi, grim statistics I am afraid! I have children too, from making an application to being re-housed took us 12 1/2 months. Horrid experience, bed and breakfast and homeless hostels - are you sure you want to go through this, some feel it is an 'easy route' to a council house, IT IS NOT. Health grounds I had, cancer, I still was put through the mill. By the way, in case you are thinking the 12.5 months was AFTER I had been awarded priority status!!!!!!!!!!!! I would not wish this on my worst enemy. Good luck love, you'll need it.

That was an unbelievably long time even with the shortage of properties! Its not good for children to be in B&B, sadly its all thats available sometimes. I'm glad you shared this experience though, it will help to make people understand the realities of getting rehoused nowadays, even with priority. If someone is in private rented accommodation, and their tenancy is ending, unless their circumstances have greatly changed I would always suggest that they try and find similar if possible. That way they would have more choice of what and where, and much less stress.

Some local authorities are now working with private landlords to encourage them to offer vacant properties for rent to people who have urgent housing needs. Of course that will only suit some applicants - anyone with aspirations towards eventually exercising the Right to Buy won't want to consider that option.

TeaFan
09-02-2008, 17:47
Some local authorities are now working with private landlords to encourage them to offer vacant properties for rent to people who have urgent housing needs. Of course that will only suit some applicants - anyone with aspirations towards eventually exercising the Right to Buy won't want to consider that option.

Sheffield are doing this - it is an option which is definitely worth considering if you need a 3+ bedroom property. You don't get the secure tenancy you would in council or housing association, but you should at least get a 12 month assured shorthold tenancy rather than 6 months.

wbua
09-02-2008, 19:31
No time scale is given on SCC website - initially you make a homeless application at First Point in Howden House. An initial decision will be made based on certain criteria. If you meet those, then your case will be passed to a homeless officer, and you'll have an interview (or more than one) to investigate your circumstances. At that point, if a decision is made to give you priority, then you can start bidding on suitable properties. None of it is a quick process, but its possible you could be offered temporary accommodation straight away while your case is investigated. This could well be a hostel, or a B&B. Basically what it says here: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/homeless/assessment

Bear in mind the shortage of family sized council homes. Consider other options for housing you and your children, like private rental or housing associatons.

If you need support, try Shelter. http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-136.cfm

shortage of family sized council homes?

I've just been to Beck road near a Pub called The Penguin and 20% of the houses are empty, admitted it looks a little rough but beggars cant be choosers.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of council housing is empty at any given time

verydull
09-02-2008, 21:31
http://www.emptyhomes.com/resources/stats/yh06.htm

there ya go, that should tell you.....

luce

Ms Macbeth
09-02-2008, 22:19
http://www.emptyhomes.com/resources/stats/yh06.htm

there ya go, that should tell you.....

luce

When was this survey done? It's not much help unless its fairly recent. And it doesn't say if they are houses - lots could be bedsits.

verydull
09-02-2008, 22:23
i would think its 06 what with the url saying it n all....

luce

jon&emma
09-02-2008, 23:16

I've just been to Beck road near a Pub called The Penguin and 20% of the houses are empty, admitted it looks a little rough but beggars cant be choosers.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of council housing is empty at any given time
hi, this was our first choice [shiregreen] that we put to be rehoused, i know exactly wat you mean about the houses being empty, we actually complained about this when we were homeless and something was suposidly do about it, but this is a sancturary housing area not a sheffield homes area aparently they keep 50 percent of empty holmes for already shiregreen tennents and put the other 50 percent in property shop but still never seen any in there apart from pensioners flats.

Ms Macbeth
10-02-2008, 07:38
i would think its 06 what with the url saying it n all....

luce

Didn't spot that, oops. :huh:

Its also worth noting this from the website: Definition of an empty home
An empty home is classified as a dwelling, which has been vacant for more than six months either because it is between occupants, undergoing modernisation, in disrepair or awaiting demolition.

% wise, Sheffield overall has much fewer empty properties than the rest of South Yorkshire.

Barnsley 3.75%
Doncaster 5.05%
Rotherham 2.56%
Sheffield 1.79%

Ms Macbeth
10-02-2008, 07:51

Lots of Beck Rd surely isn't council (or even Sanctuary Housing) now though? Look at all these that have been sold in the last few years. http://www.houseprices.co.uk/beck-road-sheffield-s5/

At one time it was easy to spot council houses, now, even though they are on a 'council' estate, lots won't be for rent any more.

wbua
10-02-2008, 16:01
Lots of Beck Rd surely isn't all council (or even Sanctuary Housing) now though? Look at all these that have been sold in the last few years. http://www.houseprices.co.uk/beck-road-sheffield-s5/

At one time it was easy to spot council houses, now, even though they are on a 'council' estate, lots won't be for rent any more.

My names john not shirley.. Sorry It looked like council property to me

Plain Talker
10-02-2008, 20:26
The prices have trebled in just eight years! that's obscene. and my God! How many on that one small road that have been taken out of the social housing stock. It's no wonder there are such problems for folks in need getting housed.

It ought to have been made a condition of RTB that, on selling them, after RTB, the properties have to be sold back to the LA/ HA that they were bought from, (for a little bit more than was paid, say 'price +10%', so as not to thwart the greedy buyers who want profit) thus replenishing the stock, and providing the means for the RTB-er to put a deposit down on a house that was built with the intention that it be sold, rather than social housing stock.

(this is then not preventing RTB-ers from upgrading to private)

leviathan13
11-02-2008, 12:28
The property paper that comes out every week doesn't even list all the properties available. I make sure we look on the website as it has far more than are listed in the paper and looking in the property shop is a good idea too.

Please don't think I'm trying to sound harsh, but this is incorrect and is how rumours and bad information gets started.

The properties on the SPS website for bidding each week are exactly the same as what's in the paper and the SPS window. The information on the website gets update if a property is taking off the bidding system during the week, but there aren't more properties on there to bid for.

FairyNormal
11-02-2008, 23:34
Honestly, I am not trying to mislead anyone. I have sat with the property paper and on some weeks have found several more properties on the website that were definately NOT in the paper version. I only said this as I know from first hand experience it is true. I apologise if you think I am spreading rumours or untruths, I am merely stating what I found when looking for properties with my daughter over the last few weeks.

TeaFan
12-02-2008, 19:58
Honestly, I am not trying to mislead anyone. I have sat with the property paper and on some weeks have found several more properties on the website that were definately NOT in the paper version. I only said this as I know from first hand experience it is true. I apologise if you think I am spreading rumours or untruths, I am merely stating what I found when looking for properties with my daughter over the last few weeks.

The 'First Come First Served' properties are on the website, but not, I think, in the paper, so you would be right on that score. Otherwise they should be the same. The website does also have the 'Coming Soon' properties, which some people try and bid on - but can't.

FairyNormal
13-02-2008, 12:39
Well good news here. My daughter has been offered and has accepted a flat at Stocksbridge today! :D

Ms Macbeth
13-02-2008, 12:52
Well good news here. My daughter has been offered and has accepted a flat at Stocksbridge today! :D

Excellent news - I hope she soon settles in and things work out well for her. Is it one she bid for? I'm asking, because it might just give encouragement to people who are losing faith in ever getting a property!

verydull
13-02-2008, 15:42
Great news about the flat.

I have been offered a flat on batemoor.

its furnished though.

and Id love to live on batemoor.

and i have turned one down already......

and this is one i have bid on (but only cos theres little point in not bidding cos council will bid anyway) and it be seen as unreasonable not to bid on this one cos its good location for me.

but its furnished.

where do i stand with the whole furniture thing? It just seems a pointless waste to give me a furnished place, when i have the furniture already, and the means to get more.

and the extra cost too.

am i just gonna have to swallow this and accept it?

even though the thing seems a pointless waste of time adding 20 pound a week onto a property when you dont even get to keep the furniture at the end of it. its just like burning money to me.

kier still have the keys, i cant even view it for another 2 weeks.

Im just fustrated with the whole thing

luce

Ms Macbeth
13-02-2008, 17:32
Great news about the flat.

I have been offered a flat on batemoor.

its furnished though.

and Id love to live on batemoor.

and i have turned one down already......

and this is one i have bid on (but only cos theres little point in not bidding cos council will bid anyway) and it be seen as unreasonable not to bid on this one cos its good location for me.

but its furnished.

where do i stand with the whole furniture thing? It just seems a pointless waste to give me a furnished place, when i have the furniture already, and the means to get more.

and the extra cost too.

even though the thing seems a pointless waste of time adding 20 pound a week onto a property when you dont even get to keep the furniture at the end of it. its just like burning money to me.

kier still have the keys, i cant even view it for another 2 weeks.

Im just fustrated with the whole thing

luce

The reason there are furnished flats is because some people who are homeless (for whatever reason) don't have any furniture at all and would be sleeping on the floor! These are a godsend to some people.

Perhaps you need to explain your situation to someone from Sheffield Homes. I'm pretty sure they won't 'unfurnish' a flat though.

FairyNormal
13-02-2008, 21:36
Excellent news - I hope she soon settles in and things work out well for her. Is it one she bid for? I'm asking, because it might just give encouragement to people who are losing faith in ever getting a property!

Thanks!

Yes it was one she had bid on, one of several at Stocksbridge so we feel really lucky that she's got one. It's a decent enough area, near to shops etc and on a bus route/supertram link. She had just been bidding on as many as she could that fitted her criteria and weren't in the really rough bits (exeter drive etc :gag: ) I think she has just fallen really really lucky.

So I suppose to everyone else, just hang in there and I truely hope that you all get sorted out asap x

the_bloke
13-02-2008, 21:47
but its furnished.

and the extra cost too.

I bidded on a furnished property by mistake, and didn't realise until they rang me offering it. I gave most humble apologies, ensured that it wouldn't affect my priority status, and have continued to bid since.

According to the website, its still not been claimed by anyone, and that was in December.

I have actually emailed the Property shop and asked them if the large amounts of properties in my bidding history still awaiting a decison are still empty or just haven't been closed off the system properly. I politely reminded them that either way, its not a very good form of encouragement for people living on floors of friends or in B&Bs.

honeyb35
13-02-2008, 21:55

Fantastic news! Stocksbridge is lovely! :)

TeaFan
13-02-2008, 22:40

Remind her to get her passport stamped :hihi:

Nice one :)

the_bloke
01-04-2008, 19:46
Apologies for raising a thread from the grave, but I finally have some good news that might help to anser the original question, posted all those months ago.

Some stats:

Given priority status: 18th December 2007
Number of properties bidded upon: 73
Date told I had won a bid: 31/3/2008
Date property I had won was actually advertised: First week of March 2008

So in my case at least, it took almost four months to actually get a property as a priority case.

The property I have accepted is one I actually bidded on; only in the last week of March has a Home Finder actually started to bid for me, and I only knew that from looking at the list of properties I had bidded upon in the previous week.

During those months, I was offered two other properties; a house that I bidded on by mistake without seeing it was furnished, which didn't affect my priority, and another property that had me completely baffed.

I bidded upon, and won, a maisonette at Gleadless Valley; great I thought, now lets get a viewing organised and get the forms filled in for they keys. Problem was, the Council didn't have the keys; Kier Group had them. On questioning this, I was told it needed 'some work'.

Well, OK I thought, I can wait a few days more, sleeping on people's sofas and only seeing my wife and son every few days, I've kinda got used to it now. After ringing back every day, the Council admitted that they didn't actually know what work needed doing and would have to ask Kier.

Alarm bells rang a little at this point - how can you not know? Do they just write blank cheques or something for these people? After five days I finally got an answer; this little maisonette needed new floorboards, new internal doors, a new boiler and some new radiators. Whilst they were doing that, they were also going to replace the kitchen and bathroom to save doing it in a few months time. The two months of work was scheduled to start from six weeks at the time I was told - and until then the place was uninhabitable!

I was given huge apologies, 'so sorry, this is the third one this week we have had to turn people away from, I don't know how these properties end up on the system for bidding on' etc. Grr!

Anyway, (as I am waffling a little) I can overlook my new flat needing lots of TLC (as well as paint, carpets, light bulbs etc etc) for the very fact my family and I can live a normal life again.

So to anyone still feeling like they aren't getting anywhere in this bidding system and things are a nightmare - things will get better!

honeyb35
01-04-2008, 20:30
yay, glad you got somewhere!

Ms Macbeth
01-04-2008, 20:41
Three and a half months is actually quite quick these days for any property larger than a one bedroom. And on a positive note it should be in a really good state when you get it! :thumbsup: Its good that you let people know that it's turned out ok for you in the end. Good luck in your new home.

joffandanmum
27-05-2008, 19:39
good news grandmother been offered a flat and so her 3 bed should be available soon to someone who needs it.

Kat2008
28-05-2008, 06:43
Yeah it took 3months for me to be offered a three bed house, i think the fact i kept on at them helped! it seemed to go on for ever but there is light at the end of that tunnel :)

Ms Macbeth
28-05-2008, 07:01
Yeah it took 3months for me to be offered a three bed house, i think the fact i kept on at them helped! it seemed to go on for ever but there is light at the end of that tunnel :)

'Keeping on at them' won't make a difference if there aren't the properties available. You said in another thread http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3536053&postcount=96 that you got a management decision for personal reasons - that probably speeded up the process and got you what you wanted. Unless you want to explain to people how to get the same treatment, then they are unlikely to have the same outcome as you.

Kat2008
28-05-2008, 09:49
'Keeping on at them' won't make a difference if there aren't the properties available. You said in another thread http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3536053&postcount=96 that you got a management decision for personal reasons - that probably speeded up the process and got you what you wanted. Unless you want to explain to people how to get the same treatment, then they are unlikely to have the same outcome as you.

i got lots of people involved which does help (health visitors, doctors ect)

leviathan13
28-05-2008, 16:10
i got lots of people involved which does help (health visitors, doctors ect)

Exactly! People who can provide proof of medical problems.

This is a totally different way of "getting lots of people involved" than, say, going to The Star. If you got a newspaper involved, nothing would happen as they're not able to provide evidence as to why you need rehousing quickly.

One doctor is better than 4 newspapers.

Kat2008
28-05-2008, 19:22
Exactly! People who can provide proof of medical problems.

This is a totally different way of "getting lots of people involved" than, say, going to The Star. If you got a newspaper involved, nothing would happen as they're not able to provide evidence as to why you need rehousing quickly.

One doctor is better than 4 newspapers.

That's v true, all i'm saying is if you have children & are in emergency accomodation, that can affect your children & then health visitors will speak to homefinders ect...

If your along way from family, friends childrens schools, that can affect your health especially when your a single parent, then thats when doctors will get involved... :)

xxmelovexx
30-05-2008, 14:14
took me 15 months and i was on very high priority due to ex been violent to me. and i had 4 kids at home then . ita a kinda joke some times . good luck . ps just drink all the booze

honeyb35
30-05-2008, 23:08
I got priority on medical grounds last june, and got offered a house a couple of weeks ago, which we have since moved into. We left a 3 bed and got another 3 bed in the same village which is perfect for us. We had to move as our previous property couldnt be adapted for wheelchair access. Our new property isnt adapted - but can be done very easily, which is why we bidded on it. We also had a social worker ring up the housing on our behalf, simply to let them know that it would be suitable. We've been very lucky, I expected it to take longer.

Ms Macbeth
31-05-2008, 04:40
I got priority on medical grounds last june, and got offered a house a couple of weeks ago, which we have since moved into. We left a 3 bed and got another 3 bed in the same village which is perfect for us. We had to move as our previous property couldnt be adapted for wheelchair access. Our new property isnt adapted - but can be done very easily, which is why we bidded on it. We also had a social worker ring up the housing on our behalf, simply to let them know that it would be suitable. We've been very lucky, I expected it to take longer.

Good news - it just goes to show, even with a medical need, that getting a suitable property can take time (11 months in your case). I hope the adaptation gets done quickly, and makes life more manageable.

Its nice to hear someone say they've been lucky - because for most people these days getting a suitable council home does take a bit of luck, the supply is very limited, and constantly getting less.

Plain Talker
31-05-2008, 09:19
That's lovely news, honeyb, I'm so pleased it's good news for you!

I hope Matty loves his new house, and settles in quickly! (and that the needed adaptations happen quickly!)

honeyb35
31-05-2008, 11:06
That's lovely news, honeyb, I'm so pleased it's good news for you!

I hope Matty loves his new house, and settles in quickly! (and that the needed adaptations happen quickly!)

thank you! We're currently living amongst boxes and junk.....the worst part of moving house - but we'll get there!
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that someone nice and deserving moves into our old house - my parents live next door!