How do you get a good result from microwaving a jacket potato?

I'd given up on this. I've tried for years and they always turn out either rock hard or wrinkly and chewy! I'd convinced myself it was impossible to cook a good jacket potato in a microwave, so usually put the oven on. Anyhow, went to a cafe in St Austell, in the summer, and had the perfect jacket potato, cooked in a microwave. It was cooked to perfection, and surprised me as I think I enjoyed it as much as an oven baked one. How do they do it? ALL tips welcome.

I tend to do 8 to 10 minutes in the microwave then put it in the oven for 20 mins or so, saves on cooking time but comes out about the same :)

They say 9 min in a micro, I turn mine after about 6, also I put it in the oven for a few minutes after to dry out.

Always prick it with a fork a few times too!!

:D

I tend to do 8 to 10 minutes in the microwave then put it in the oven for 20 mins or so, saves on cooking time but comes out about the same :)

I tend to do mine this way, but only if its a huge tatty. Not too fond of totally microwaved spuds, they just end up like rubber. I like a little crisp to the skin

Guest Mod_Man

I was told to wrap them in kitchen roll. I can't say it makes the perfect jacket spud as I'm not a fan. It was nice though.

Anyhow, went to a cafe in St Austell, in the summer, and had the perfect jacket potato, cooked in a microwave. It was cooked to perfection, and surprised me as I think I enjoyed it as much as an oven baked one. How do they do it? ALL tips welcome.

They probably had a combination microwave which combines microwave with a convection oven :D

They probably had a combination microwave which combines microwave with a convection oven :D

I wondered myself, if they'd got a special type of oven, but the skin wasn't crispy at all, or browned.

Thanks for the tips so far.

Same here, but I rub them in oil and salt between microwave and oven.

Stab (prick) the bugger a few times and 5-10 mins in an 850w is good enough for me.

We have one of those, still cant for the life of me get it to do a decent spud they just allways end up like rubber

I heard somewhere that you're supposed to let then have standing time. Does anyone know if this helps?