'Iconic' bridge design is chosen

Looks a bit like a rollercoaster to me!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/7206499.stm

The new bridge will be 'an optimistic icon'

A design for a new footbridge to span Sheffield's Parkway has been chosen because it is "a simple and optimistic icon for the region".

The bridge was designed by a Danish architect and features a large 'O' design with wires running from the top of the structure and along the bridge.

Judges who viewed entries for the bridge design looked at concepts from experts in 14 countries.

Work on the £2m bridge is expected to begin in the autumn.

The brief had been to design a bridge that would be "a pleasure to cross".

The bridge will offer a crossing point over the A630 Parkway, which links the city centre with the M1 motorway.

Chairman of the judging panel, architect Nik Randall, said he had "every confidence it will become a much-loved local landmark".

Sheffield councillor Mary Lea said the design would "provide a memorable feature on the busiest gateway into the city".

relating to or having the characteristics of an icon

relating to or having the characteristics of an icon

Can you click on it?

What does the word "iconic" mean?

I think in this case it'll mean it will cause people to say "oh look, there's that stupid bridge that nobody uses".

I would mention the Cooling Towers as an example of something "iconic" but i don't think i could stand the flaming...

"The brief had been to design a bridge that would be "a pleasure to cross". "

Do people actually cross bridges for pleasure? Is there a Sheffield Bridge Crossing Enthusiasts society that I don;t know about?

Well some bridges might be a pleasure to cross, such as Charles Bridge in Prague, the Golden Gate perhaps.

I can't see crossing the parkway being 'that' pleasureable though, unless of course that hoop has alternative uses.

Where abouts on the parkway would this be?

I hope they remember to put adequate railings on the side this time!

Sheffield councillor Mary Lea said the design would "provide a memorable feature on the busiest gateway into the city".

Well, there's plenty of room for the gallows from which the likes of Mary Lea should hang. Did I hear this right? Two million quid? For a few pedestrians and no doubt a brightly coloured cycle track which will largely go unused.

Hallelujah to our council tax hike. At least now we'll have concrete evidence that our cash is wasted on trash like this.

Memo to Mary Lea. This is the Sheffield Parkway, not Sydney Harbour or even the river Thames. What next? Sight seeing trips on an open top bus?

PS. To those asking: Iconic is the latest buzzword for garbage. Just sounds more, 'contemporary'.

The brief had been to design a bridge that would be "a pleasure to cross".

He he ...It's only a Bridge !:rolleyes: