View Full Version : Snake or Woodhead Pass : Which Sheffield to Manchester route?

Pages : [1] 2

Cardboard
24-01-2008, 09:59
Hi All,

When I go to Manchester from Sheffield,, I go over the A57 (snake pass), but I have heard people talk about going to Manchester through Woodhead.

Can someone give me the directions of this route, or even point it out on something like Multimap so I can try this sometime?

thanks

bigbladerob
24-01-2008, 10:08
it depends which side of the city you live on i think. For me, getting across to Woodhead is goin well out of my way so snake pass is much better. plus Woodhead is a very boring drive as there are those average speed check cameras everywhere!

DUFFEMS
24-01-2008, 10:25
Snake is closed today due to a landslide.

Meaks
24-01-2008, 10:25
The Snake is normally quicker (depending where you're going from).

Woodhead pass is the A628.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=woodhead+reservoir&sll=53.486207,-1.803818&sspn=0.05914,0.187111&ie=UTF8&ll=53.455758,-1.689835&spn=0.236728,0.748444&z=11&om=0

(Google link doesn't work very well)

cgksheff
24-01-2008, 10:38
You start by getting to the A616, north of the city.

If you live on the north side, just follow Penistone Road, A61/A629 out through Grenoside.
If you live Centrally, or South it is often quicker to nip onto the M1 and go North to Junction 35a, A616.

After the Stocksbridge bypass, a roundabout will sign you onto the A628, Manchester which takes you over the pass and you will meet the Snake Road/A57 on the other side at Hollingworth, before the M67.
Map (http://maps.live.com/#JnJ0cD1wb3Muc3g1dHl4Z3c3djJyX0dyZW5vc2lkZSUyYytTa GVmZmllbGQlMmMrRW5nbGFuZCUyYytVbml0ZWQrS2luZ2RvbV9 fX18lN2Vwb3Muc3hjeTV3Z3RjYjUxX01hbmNoZXN0ZXIlMmMrR W5nbGFuZCUyYytVbml0ZWQrS2luZ2RvbV9fX18mcnRvcD0wJTd lMA==)

rebeca
24-01-2008, 10:44
i'd avoid woodhead pass if i were you - i used to go that way but was always getting stuck in long delays at rush hour through tinitwhistle. You also always end up getting stuck behind all the slow lorries too so snakepass is a much quicker route to Manchester.

Does anyone know when snakepass will reopen? - i've gone via the a6 the last couple of days which is a bit of a nightmare through hazelgrove and stockport.

boutiquechoc
24-01-2008, 11:11
I used to live near the M1 and travelled to MCR regularly . I found the quickest way was to burn up the M1 onto the M62 and get on MCR ringroad. Usually, depending on what time of day, it is a clear run, takes more fuel but cuts a lot of time off travelling. Takes about an hour.

I live over the other side of Sheff now tho and take the way near Fox House then onto the Snake. Hobsons choice with both Woodhead and the Snake.

Wsh they would build a flyover tunnel or something to MCR from Sheff, charge a fiver a time to use it then it would be much quicker.

rinty
24-01-2008, 14:26
Bear in mind that both passes end up at the same place in Mottram, so it's really only worth using the one nearest to you in Sheffield. You'll end up in a traffic jam which ever one you use.

Both are full of idiots who only care about getting past anything doing less than 70mph.

Ousetunes
24-01-2008, 14:33
Bear in mind that both passes end up at the same place in Mottram, so it's really only worth using the one nearest to you in Sheffield. You'll end up in a traffic jam which ever one you use.
Both are full of idiots who only care about getting past anything doing less than 70mph.

This must be Britain's most ridiculous bottle neck and nothing, ever, ever gets done about it.

Here, we have a major route which meets two narrow side roads. Traffic lights seem to favour the side roads and the result is a slow crawl either uphill or along a road between two petrol stations and a not very pleasant housing estate.

And yet, either side of this bit of ribbon development, is nothing but fields, land aplenty to build a by-pass. This debacle has gone on for years and years.

Getting rid of the lights would be a start; building a by-pass is a must. Ask Gordon Brown for some lolly. Apparently he's just given the Indians 725,000,000 of our hard earned cash.

Cardboard
24-01-2008, 14:42
Thanks all - seems like the snake is best bet for me....if it reopens! Any ideas when this might be?

not wanted
24-01-2008, 14:45
It is shut for a week from glossop to ladybower. big landslide

Cardboard
24-01-2008, 15:03
looks like im going to have to go over woodhead this saturday then

rob123
24-01-2008, 15:13
Been trying to get information about the Snake Pass and whether it is closed due to a land slip today and if so when it will be open. Anyone got any info on this, can't seem to find anything on the net. Thanks.

jinnertomcat
24-01-2008, 15:22
Was closed this morning between Ladybower and Glossop due to a landslip / landslide. Not sure when it is due to open sorry

rob123
24-01-2008, 15:28
Any idea where to get info then ?

jinnertomcat
24-01-2008, 15:34
From www.theaa.com

Road Incident

A57 Closed between Glossop (junction with A624) and Junction with A6013 in Eastbound direction.
A57 Closed between Junction with A6013 and Glossop (junction with A624) in Westbound direction.

rob123
24-01-2008, 15:42
Thanks a lot.

not wanted
24-01-2008, 16:07
Radio 5 said it was going to be shut for the rest of the week earlier but they have not mentioned it since

nohands
24-01-2008, 16:11
I think the Snake is closed for 3 weeks, more if they find its worse than they thought.

So far the HA have spent 4m on the Public Inquiry for the by-pass and still don't have the figures to present.

Building the by-pass may solve the current queueing problem, but will lead to more traffic using Woodhead which is already slow due mainly to the large vehicles. This will lead to problems appearing elsewhere on the route.

Opening the Woodhead rail route might help a bit, but thats looking less likely now.

Ultimately there needs to be a better route between Sheffield and Manchester, but I don't know where you would put it.

This must be Britain's most ridiculous bottle neck and nothing, ever, ever gets done about it.

Here, we have a major route which meets two narrow side roads. Traffic lights seem to favour the side roads and the result is a slow crawl either uphill or along a road between two petrol stations and a not very pleasant housing estate.
Getting rid of the lights would be a start; building a by-pass is a must. Ask Gordon Brown for some lolly. Apparently he's just given the Indians 725,000,000 of our hard earned cash.

Tess
24-01-2008, 19:41
If anyone finds out whether it is open or not tomorrow could they possibly let me know, its very important :) thanks!
x

CHAIRBOY
24-01-2008, 19:45
If anyone finds out whether it is open or not tomorrow could they possibly let me know, its very important :) thanks!
x

Having seen a film shot and listened to Look North - I would say it will be closed. The road is fractured by debris etc - and I think they said closed for the foreseeable future. (Only a guess on that evidence).

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/inc/travel_news_redirect.jsp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/looknorthyorkslincs/latest_stories/index.shtml - Link to tonight's edition to view what I saw?

Tess
24-01-2008, 19:56
Ahh ! Thanks muchly for your help CHAIRBOY xxx

CHAIRBOY
24-01-2008, 20:06
Ahh ! Thanks muchly for your help CHAIRBOY xxx

It's not confirmed. Can you not go Woodhead way? Maybe go through Castleton - Winats- Whalley Bridge - Potts Shrigley way?
Or, check out my leads.

If Radio 5 said 'closed for the rest of the week' - I'd believe that on the footage I've seen.

Tess
24-01-2008, 20:20
It's not confirmed. Can you not go Woodhead way? Maybe go through Castleton - Winats- Whalley Bridge - Potts Shrigley way?
Or, check out my leads.

If Radio 5 said 'closed for the rest of the week' - I'd believe that on the footage I've seen.

Yeah i heard closed for the rest of the week but wasn't sure if they counted the weekend as well lol :D

i could but ide rather go the way i know, might just take the motorway or get him to come here instead :cool:

CHAIRBOY
24-01-2008, 20:25
Yeah i heard closed for the rest of the week but wasn't sure if they counted the weekend as well lol :D

i could but ide rather go the way i know, might just take the motorway or get him to come here instead :cool:

Do you want to say where you are trying to get to?
The motorway is a hell of a long way round and moreover, high winds are forecast tomorrow so I wouldn't want to be on the M62.

Eater Sundae
24-01-2008, 20:56
In my opinion, Woodhead is usually busier, and has more heavy goods traffic than Snake. Also at busy times Tintwistle can seem like a car park, its so slow.

As other people have said, a lot depends on where you are coming from. I live close to the A57 on the west side of Sheffield so the Snake is better for me. Even if I were around Hillsborough / Penistone Road, I'd go out on Rivelin Valley Road to get to the Snake in preference to either Middlewood Road or Grenoside to get to Woodhead. Its only if I lived over to the east that I would go up the to Junction 35A of the M1 and go via Woodhead, just to avoid driving through the city.

Of course it's pretty academic at the moment. According to tonight's TV news, it might be quite a while until they repair the Snake - I think that they don't really know the extent of the damage yet. I wonder if we'll have a period of traffic light controlled single way traffic.

Tess
24-01-2008, 21:08
well im trying to get to Rochdale, which i usually, depending on which side of sheffield im at, go m1>m62 and get off at J20, or go over Snake Pass. Since ive only been driving since september, i get a bit confuddled driving places i dont know lol
x
and as for the m62..its okay when its windy when your driving home - get blown home, cuts driving time down :P

Shaun_A
24-01-2008, 21:10
If you go to Bamford then towards Castleton you can go up to Bradwell and join the A6 which will take you to Stockport and then the M60, depending on which side of the city you are from this could be the best route.

Shaun

www.honestcarpetcare.co.uk
www.sheffieldcleaning.com

pininsho
24-01-2008, 21:18
In my opinion, Woodhead is usually busier, and has more heavy goods traffic than Snake. Also at busy times Tintwistle can seem like a car park, its so slow.

As other people have said, a lot depends on where you are coming from. I live close to the A57 on the west side of Sheffield so the Snake is better for me. Even if I were around Hillsborough / Penistone Road, I'd go out on Rivelin Valley Road to get to the Snake in preference to either Middlewood Road or Grenoside to get to Woodhead. Its only if I lived over to the east that I would go up the to Junction 35A of the M1 and go via Woodhead, just to avoid driving through the city.

Of course it's pretty academic at the moment. According to tonight's TV news, it might be quite a while until they repair the Snake - I think that they don't really know the extent of the damage yet. I wonder if we'll have a period of traffic light controlled single way traffic.

I live quite close to the A57 (Wisewood) but still usually go via the Woodhead route as I find it generally to be quicker (when Middlewood Rd is open) as I tend to find lots of hold ups and traffic lights going through Glossop and then you have the snarl up at Mottram/Tintwistle which affects both routes.
Although which ever route I take to Manchester I usually take the alternate route back unless I'm in a hurry then it's back to the Woodhead as it's also a straighter road.

simonj
24-01-2008, 21:22
If you go to Bamford then towards Castleton you can go up to Bradwell and join the A6 which will take you to Stockport and then the M60, depending on which side of the city you are from this could be the best route.

Although you will still hit heavy traffic at peak times on the A6 through Disley, Stockport and the M60.

Eater Sundae
24-01-2008, 23:01
I live quite close to the A57 (Wisewood) but still usually go via the Woodhead route as I find it generally to be quicker (when Middlewood Rd is open) as I tend to find lots of hold ups and traffic lights going through Glossop and then you have the snarl up at Mottram/Tintwistle which affects both routes.
Although which ever route I take to Manchester I usually take the alternate route back unless I'm in a hurry then it's back to the Woodhead as it's also a straighter road.

Mottram affects both routes, but I've often been held up through Tintwistle on the Woodhead route, but Glossop always seems an easier run, as the traffic keeps moving.

Thinking a bit more about it - I usually travel to M/cr to go to the Airport. When I travel from home, it is usually via the A57, and early in the morning. When I travel from work (near M1 Junction 36), it is usually later in the morning or early afternoon, via Woodhead, so it may just be the time of the day that means it is usually quite busy.

mahonia
24-01-2008, 23:14
Having seen a film shot and listened to Look North - I would say it will be closed. The road is fractured by debris etc - and I think they said closed for the foreseeable future. (Only a guess on that evidence).

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/inc/travel_news_redirect.jsp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/looknorthyorkslincs/latest_stories/index.shtml - Link to tonight's edition to view what I saw?

Damm :mad:, Got to go to Rochdale on Saturday 2nd , that means either going via the Woodhead ( Extra 30 mins ) or going on the A6 ( Extra 5 days :mad:) grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Tess
24-01-2008, 23:33
Damm :mad:, Got to go to Rochdale on Saturday 2nd , that means either going via the Woodhead ( Extra 30 mins ) or going on the A6 ( Extra 5 days :mad:) grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Aye thats where im trying to get to as well, think im just gonna go the motorway, keep it simple without getting lost lol.. hey lets carpool :P

mahonia
25-01-2008, 00:31
Aye thats where im trying to get to as well, think im just gonna go the motorway, keep it simple without getting lost lol.. hey lets carpool :P

Would you be safe with me :D Look at my picture :hihi:

DUFFEMS
25-01-2008, 08:43
Husband's just 'phoned from Manchester, he left home at 6:30a.m. and he uses all routes normally but, today, he went M1 then M62 no problems. Snake is still closed including weekends.

Cardboard
25-01-2008, 09:24
I need to go to the airport on saturday, so Im hoping it will be open by then too, but from these earlier posts, its not looking likely. I might go the M62 way to be on the safe side, but it seems quite a trek!

Cardboard
25-01-2008, 12:01
Does anyone know where we can check if the A57 is open or not? I cant see any news on BBC's traffic pages or trafficengland.com

tab1
25-01-2008, 12:16
I need to go to the airport on saturday, so Im hoping it will be open by then too, but from these earlier posts, its not looking likely. I might go the M62 way to be on the safe side, but it seems quite a trek!

That would be a treck too far. Try the alternative route of A621 Abbeydale Road towards Bakewell till you pick up the A6 to Manchester. You will pick up signs for Airport from Stockport, and only works out about 5 miles longer.
OR: Can you not go Woodhead way? Maybe go through Castleton - Winats- Whalley Bridge - Potts Shrigley way?
Or, check out my leads.

Meaks
25-01-2008, 12:18
If you're going to the airport you can go via Castleton and over Winnats.

The Airport taxis often go this way as they reckon its the shortest route.

scottf
25-01-2008, 12:32
If you're going to the airport you can go via Castleton and over Winnats.

The Airport taxis often go this way as they reckon its the shortest route.

yeah it is the shortest but its even more windy than the snake, i certainly wouldn't use it at night or in the winter.

Meaks
25-01-2008, 13:18
yeah it is the shortest but its even more windy than the snake, i certainly wouldn't use it at night or in the winter.

True, its perhaps not the best way if you don't know where you're going.

As the OP couldn't find Woodhead Pass he'd have no hope. ;) :P

MichaelJP
25-01-2008, 13:21
So now the Snake is closed, as is the road to Oughtibridge/Stocksbridge and the A61 is still half-blocked after 6 months with long delays.

The airport is closing, what's next? Sheffield is gradually getting cut off!

muddycoffee
25-01-2008, 13:23

And yet, either side of this bit of ribbon development, is nothing but fields, land aplenty to build a by-pass. This debacle has gone on for years and years.

I have been following this project for many years. Unfortunately after a survey a couple of years ago it was found that 70% of the traffic congestion was caused by mainly local women who were making unneccesary journeys of less than a mile in their cars.
It would hardly be a fitting use of several million pounds of government money to allow the laziest part of the UK to become even lazier would it ?

Cardboard
25-01-2008, 14:02
That winnats pass route looks interesting actually - looks like you just stay on the a6178 until it falls onto the A6. Sounds easy enough. Is it or are there any turnings that I might miss?!

Would you recommend that over Woodhead or motorway?

alex3659
25-01-2008, 14:08
just got back from dropping someone off at manchester airport. went the winnats pass way had no problems at all. go straight up winnats pass follow sings for stockport then signs for manchester airport it took 1hour 15 minutes each way.

Tripitaka
25-01-2008, 14:11
I go over winnats to wilmslow every day at about 7am in the morning. One of the roads at the top of winnats is closed (right hand way), but it doesn't make any real difference to the time spent travelling.

Takes me about an hour to get to Wilmslow from where I live in Brincliffe.

Airport is about another 6 miles away and can be done in about 10 minutes.

DUFFEMS
25-01-2008, 14:58
We live S11 and my husband does Castleton/Winnats at least twice a week, easiest route, less traffic. Just beware of the sheep especially early morning when it's still dark as they are inclined to wander into the road but, most of them are still asleep under the hedge bottoms!

Simont
25-01-2008, 17:07
Doh, Missed the Look North footage!
Anyone got any photos of how bad it is? A colleague went over it just before it was closed, and said there was a really big drop in the road surface presumable where the problem is.

Sheffield Star says the road will be closed "until at least next week"
http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/TRAFFIC-ALERT-Landslide-closes-A57.3711756.jp

Simon

CHAIRBOY
25-01-2008, 19:31
I came back from Doncaster Friday afternoon 4.30pm and there were lit signs on the Parkway "A57 Snake Pass - Closed".
I heard a little more last night on the late Look North news. The landslide had still not stabilised and they were waiting for that to happen before they repaired the road.
Rochdale on a Saturday - I'd go Woodhead and envisage no problems.
Airport - the Castleton - Winnat's Pass route - Potts Shrigley is fine. If unsure, just add a bit more time.

alex3659
25-01-2008, 19:35
I came back from Doncaster Friday afternoon 4.30pm and there were lit signs on the Parkway "A57 Snake Pass - Closed".
I heard a little more last night on the late Look North news. The landslide had still not stabilised and they were waiting for that to happen before they repaired the road.
Rochdale on a Saturday - I'd go Woodhead and envisage no problems.
Airport - the Castleton - Winnat's Pass route - Potts Shrigley is fine. If unsure, just add a bit more time.

hope this is not one of your famous pub crawls chairboy.:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

CHAIRBOY
25-01-2008, 19:48
You might well laugh, believe it or not, I'm TT! I told my pal to go that way to watch Macclesfield and he agrees with the advice. It's brilliant for the airport side of Manchester - you go through Styal (near Wilmslow) as well if you need another port of call or want to visit the prison!!
I wouldn't want Tess to go that way on her own at night because you are in the middle of nowhere in some parts if you fear a breakdown.
Beware of the cattle grids on Winnats, too. If I went M62 to Rochdale, I'd tend to pick it up at Huddersfield? Much depends on the time of day.

Flying Duck
25-01-2008, 20:53
Does anyone know where the blockage is on the Snake Pass? Several websites are saying that there is still access to the Snake Pass Inn, but none of them indicate if this access is from Sheffield end or Glossop end.

nohands
25-01-2008, 21:10
I think the closure is on the Sheffield side of Snake Pass Inn. Its where the step used to be just on the Sheffield side of where they built the retaining wall last year.

CHAIRBOY
25-01-2008, 21:29
I think the closure is on the Sheffield side of Snake Pass Inn. Its where the step used to be just on the Sheffield side of where they built the retaining wall last year.

From the TV clip I saw, I'd agree with you.

HotPhil
25-01-2008, 22:08
Bummer. I fly back in to Manchester tomorrow pm - does this mean my journey back to Sheffield is going to be a nightmare?

jaiden
25-01-2008, 22:14
Bummer. I fly back in to Manchester tomorrow pm - does this mean my journey back to Sheffield is going to be a nightmare?

i came back today just follow the stockport west sign then pick up the sign for buxton follow them onto A6 buxton road then keep going until you get the sheffield sign . easy peasy.

CHAIRBOY
26-01-2008, 07:53

No. Is this a taxi or are you driving? The above is one of a few alternatives but given your location, might the A628 Woodhead be the best way for you? The A57 Snake route is closed for the foreseeable future thought I think in time, temporary lights may be used?

HotPhil
26-01-2008, 08:53
Having thought about it, the car coming to pick me up is coming from Sheffield so the driver should be aware of the situation before he picks me up!!

ken1
26-01-2008, 09:28
its still closed from ladybower to glossop, going west, but coming east looks like its open.

HotPhil
26-01-2008, 09:53
seriously though, what do our highways department actually do? I would have thought regular surveying of such an important route would be their job? how could they let a road that,when closed, causes such hassle, collapse?

muddycoffee
26-01-2008, 12:28
I got speaking to a bloke in the pub last night who was from manchester and he said that the snake pass is degrading at an alarming rate now and they might have to close it for good.

muddycoffee
26-01-2008, 12:34
Incidentally for those who don't know, winnats pass is extremely steep. I would not fancy going that way if it is icy.
I love going up it on my motorbike, it is like doing a 5 minute wheelie.

jaiden
26-01-2008, 12:40
Incidentally for those who don't know, winnats pass is extremely steep. I would not fancy going that way if it is icy.
I love going up it on my motorbike, it is like doing a 5 minute wheelie.

other way calver crossroads up through stoney middleton one straight road follw signs to stockport .

Longcol
26-01-2008, 12:44
seriously though, what do our highways department actually do? I would have thought regular surveying of such an important route would be their job? how could they let a road that,when closed, causes such hassle, collapse?

I think you'll find that the road is the responsibility of Derbyshire County Council - and as I would imagine the majority of people who use it are from Sheffield or Manchester, perhaps not such a high priority for them?

HotPhil
26-01-2008, 13:07
Whichever highways dept it is, they have a duty to make sure it's safely maintained. It's the very least they could do seeing as there's no way in hell it'll ever get the improvements it needs for the volumes it carries!

SWFC_GIRL
26-01-2008, 17:48
Anyone got any idea when its going to be opening again?

muddycoffee
26-01-2008, 17:56
Anyone got any idea when its going to be opening again?

Possibly never. :(

You can bet that if it was in the home counties it would be a national emergency.. :rant:

TeaFan
26-01-2008, 18:08
If it's such a nightmare, why do people drive to Manchester? Why don't they get the train instead? Is it because it takes too long to get to Sheffield station?

Haydn1971
27-01-2008, 12:32

It's a fair question - but, when it comes to landslips, it's difficult to predict exactly what will fail and when it will fail... I'm not familiar with this particular landslip, but Derbyshire County Council has been aware of problems on this route for many years - However, the problem may never manifest, the slip might occur in a unpredicted place, etc, etc...

You could pile 100's or Millions at making the route safe, it might only take 200k to fix this problem, so where would you draw the line... you might spend 20M making sure the most at risk parts are secure then get a slip 20m away from a secured part of the road...

In all, it's not about what vehicles use the road, but what lays under this very old road structure - most of which predates current construction techniques... yes, you can design a new road to withstand risk of land slip, but you can't apply these techniques to something that inherently overlays a cart track from the turn of the century.

It always comes back to money, you could invest in a great dual carriageway across the Woodhead, then the people of South West Sheffield still wouldn't use it, or you might invest in a improved A57, but then the people of Rotherham wouldn't use it, and the people of Glossop would want a bypass....

The sad reality is that highways are massively underfunded and require probably a 3-5 times increase in funding to just standstill with growth, but probably a 10 times increase to actually improve things...

What I'd like to do is get the Woodhead improved to current standards and build in for growth, get a western bypass for Sheffield to service the route from West and South West Sheffield, get the Snake improved, take out some of the bad bends etc, and also get the Mam-tor route finally repaired... Some might say I'm greedy, I just know I'm living in clould cookoo land and it will never happen until the polor caps melt, London floods and parliment get moved to Yorkshire where it should be :) :D

fyy123
27-01-2008, 14:01
get the Snake improved, take out some of the bad bends etc, and also get the Mam-tor route finally repaired... Some might say I'm greedy, I just know I'm living in clould cookoo land and it will never happen until the polor caps melt, London floods and parliment get moved to Yorkshire where it should be :) :D

That wouldn't be a bad idea apart from all the traffic we would get through the Hope Valley. Many attempts were made to repair the A625 road but in 1979 it was finally abandonned as the Mam Tor is so unstable though it is still a lovely quiet walk and on a clear day from the top of Mam Tor you can see Manchester city centre and snowdonia.

... Though the road says closed at Ladybower, you can still ignore the sign and drive on to the Fairholmes visitors centre which is still open.

rinty
28-01-2008, 13:42
Snake Pass is completely closed - I went up on Friday to have a look and the road is impassible. Access to Snake Pass Inn is via Glossop. The best way to go is via A6 (I find going through Bradwell is quicker than using Winnats) and then through Chinley back up to Glossop.

I've no idea when it will re-open, but last I heard the ground is still slipping under the road, so I don't expect it will re-open soon. That means the extra traffic thundering past our house will continue :(

Tess
28-01-2008, 13:48
Am i the only person who actually enjoys the drive over snake pass?
I hope it opens again soon because going other ways adds about twenty minutes on my journey, motorway is an INCREDIBLY boring drive, and like i said previously i wouldn't be able to find Winnats Pass !!

hels1977
28-01-2008, 13:57
If it's such a nightmare, why do people drive to Manchester? Why don't they get the train instead? Is it because it takes too long to get to Sheffield station?

It might be because driving is cheaper. Even with the cost of fuel - driving is still cheaper than the train. 17.40 for a normal return - fuel to Manchester and back is cheaper, by a long chalk.

A season ticket is 263 for 1 month. Say 5 days on a regular commute x 4 weeks, 20 days is about 13.50 a day - still more expensive than the train.

The only way the train becomes cheaper is if you don't have parking and need to use Manchester city centre carparks, some of which are around 8-10 a day.

zippy
28-01-2008, 14:49
Possibly never. :(

You can bet that if it was in the home counties it would be a national emergency.. :rant:

hardly Snake is one of a number of routes from the North midlands, South and west yorks over to Stoke / stockport / manchester

A50 / A6/ snake/ woodhead/ holme moss (firmly light vehicles only ) / a couple of routes that got through hudds and halifax / M62

add to that difficulties of developing in the Peak Park when there is the A50. A6 and M62 as well as the other routes in existance ...

MichaelJP
28-01-2008, 15:34
It is a very important route though, the Woodhead is already saturated with heavy lorries and Castleton/Winnat's Pass would not stand heavy traffic volumes.

Its always been subject to subsidence, especially that section from Alport bridge that runs alongside the river on the side of the valley.

Maybe there should be a lorry ban from now on, nothing over 10 tonnes.

chris@25
28-01-2008, 16:10
I emailed Derbyshire CC and got this reply:

The latest news regarding the Snake Pass is that it will be closed for
the foreseeable future as the landslip has not yet ceased its movement.
As soon as this movement has stopped a full and no doubt lengthy
assessment will be carried out on how best to proceed with possible
repairs to prevent a reoccurrence. I am sorry I can be no more
definitive over the timescales, however, I am sure you can appreciate
our concerns for public safety.

hillsbro
28-01-2008, 16:17
We've been here before. In the 1970s, west of Castleton, the A625 went via the foot of Mam Tor, but the road was forever subsiding. After several patch-up jobs the subsidence became so bad that they gave up and closed the road. So we were left with the narrow road up Winnats Pass with its 1 in 5 gradient. If the Snake Pass also had to be closed permanently (as per post #61 on this thread) then that would be another route to Manchester gone west (no pun intended).

People sometimes wonder why there is no direct motorway between Sheffield and Manchester. Such a motorway was considered in the 1960s and 1970s, branching off the M1 near Chapeltown and going more-or-less via the Stocksbridge by-pass and over Woodhead. But that would mean building a motorway through a national park (horror of horrors...) and so all we have is the upgraded A616 from Junction 35A and the by-pass, leading to the Woodhead bottleneck. An American friend whom I met at Manchester Airport was amazed that there wasn't a good, multi-lane highway connecting the two cities.

As and when the Snake Pass is open again, I quite agree with MichalJP that banning lorries from using it would help, as subsidence is likely to be a continuing problem and HGV's must take a heavier toll on the foundations.

spoofs
28-01-2008, 19:49
I agree about Sheffield getting cut off . I work in Manchester and take the train mainly but the East Midlands trains are appalling ( I need to catch these as get off at Oxford Road). They are often late, often cancelled and I keep getting put off at Stockport to catch the Trans Pennine. Sometimes I need to take the car but with the Snake closed, the Stocksbridge/Oughtibridge Road closed for coming back , and the A6 like a car park at busy times... How difficult can it be to travel 35 miles between two major Uk cities!

Interestingly enough, I used to work in Leeds ( a similar distance) and the journey, even at busy times , used to take 1hr 15 max. It takes me 2 hours to get to Manchester at the moment.

hels1977
28-01-2008, 19:59
Slightly off topic...agreed about East Midlands service, Spoofs, I do the journey myself. The Norwich, Nottingham trains are appauling but I highly recommend the Cleethorpes service from Piccadilly (when there's not a derailed train though). It's generally less crowded and Oxford Road is a short walk from Piccadilly or change etc. I have to ask though - 2 hours? You're not getting the slow train that calls *everywhere* per chance? If you get the fast one to Piccadilly then change to platform 14 for an Oxford Road train it's much quicker. I can't figure out how it's 2 hours long though, even on a bad day!

If Snake's Pass is closed for good then it's just another life blood closed to Sheffield for commuters and business alike. Not everyone wants to or needs to take the train - and based on the East Midlands level of service, that would be completely understandable.

spoofs
28-01-2008, 20:01
I've just read the post about why don't people take the train to Manchester?? - I prefer the train but it keeps making me an hour late for meetings - the service from East Midlands Trains is terrible with hardly any trains on time and many cancelled - standing up - not enough carriages - and the fares have just gone up to over 18 for a day return. Its not worth getting a season ticket unless you go every day - which I don't. I was even late for the interview for the job I have now because the East Mids Train to Manchester was 50m late. I now travel by train 2 - 3 days a week and drive when I need to be somewhere in the North West on time!

hels1977
28-01-2008, 20:02
Which service to you catch Spooks?

spoofs
28-01-2008, 20:21
No I don't take the slow train - the 2 hours includes the time it takes me to get to the station in Sheffield - and I drive usually. If I took the bus it would be even longer. I live in S11 and traffic into town is slow . Driving ( even with the queue in Mottram when the Snake is open) is quicker as I live within easy reach of the Snake.

I would like to use my car much less but if I used purely public transport, commuting to Manchester would be untenable as I would have to spend 4.5 hours a day travelling to work and back.

hels1977
28-01-2008, 20:24
Oh okay, yeah I suppose mine is 1hr 20min ish minutes door to door, it's not the train that takes the time, it's the station and back... That said the TPE services do usually get me there in 1hour or less most days. I also refuse to travel to the station at peak times, I'd rather work stupidly long days than face Sheffield station at 8am or 5pm. *shudders*

TeaFan
28-01-2008, 23:04
It might be because driving is cheaper. Even with the cost of fuel - driving is still cheaper than the train. 17.40 for a normal return - fuel to Manchester and back is cheaper, by a long chalk.

A season ticket is 263 for 1 month. Say 5 days on a regular commute x 4 weeks, 20 days is about 13.50 a day - still more expensive than the train.

The only way the train becomes cheaper is if you don't have parking and need to use Manchester city centre carparks, some of which are around 8-10 a day.

Cheers for that. I guess this is why people say that, despite the high cost of fuel, driving has been getting progressively cheaper than public transport for many years. This seems like a bad idea to me (and probably to lots of people stuck in traffic between Sheffield and Manchester). It's almost as if we need a well-subsidised national rail network based around providing service instead of making a profit. On second thoughts, that would never work: some scumbags would just come along and privatise it.

bc-mcfc
29-01-2008, 04:14
Am i the only person who actually enjoys the drive over snake pass?
I hope it opens again soon because going other ways adds about twenty minutes on my journey, motorway is an INCREDIBLY boring drive, and like i said previously i wouldn't be able to find Winnats Pass !!

I love it. Such a fun drive as long as you're not stuck behind some muppet doing 30 and braking for everything, possibly one of the best driving roads in the country. Would be gutted if it closed; the Woodhead is horrible.

Also it's the cheapest way to get to Manchester. Trains are highly uneconomical.

matsalleh
29-01-2008, 07:47
I love it. Such a fun drive as long as you're not stuck behind some muppet doing 30 and braking for everything, possibly one of the best driving roads in the country. Would be gutted if it closed; the Woodhead is horrible.

Also it's the cheapest way to get to Manchester. Trains are highly uneconomical.
I too really enjoy it especially on a clear sunny day,I always put Freebird in the CD !

CHAIRBOY
29-01-2008, 08:10
Tuesday 7am - info bar on BBC local news - Snake A57 closed at Ladybower reservoir - Hirst Road. A6013

MichaelJP
29-01-2008, 10:04
Thinking about it, I can't believe that it would be considered acceptable to close the Snake Pass permanently. Many thousands of vehicles every day would have to find alternative routes through the Peak District park.

Anyone got a link to pics of the damage?

Cardboard
29-01-2008, 10:19
Anyone got a link to pics of the damage?

I haven't seen any either...maybe its all a big myth to see what happens if it does close permanently!

MichaelJP
29-01-2008, 11:38
I haven't seen any either...maybe its all a big myth to see what happens if it does close permanently!

lol, never thought of that! Anyone know if its possible to drive up to where the damage is or have they physically blocked the road off with concrete blocks etc. Might take a look and post pics if its possible.

skanky
29-01-2008, 11:46
lol, never thought of that! Anyone know if its possible to drive up to where the damage is or have they physically blocked the road off with concrete blocks etc. Might take a look and post pics if its possible.

Someone on a previous page said they'd been up to look. Whether by foot or by wheel was not stated though.

julado
29-01-2008, 12:22
Middlewood Road still hasn't been repaired after the landslip during the flood back in June.....the council said it's because of lack of funding....so will there be the necessary funding to mend Snake Pass (of course there will).....even if the funding is diverted away from the Middlewood Road repair :(

Planner1
29-01-2008, 12:36

I've seen it. They already had temporary signals on because the road was starting to slip. On the last morning it was open I came through the signals and was confronted by a step in the road, maybe 6/8 inches high. There's a section of road perhaps 20/30m long which is slipping down the hill. It's located maybe half a mile Sheffield side of the Snake Pass Inn. Guy a couple of cars in front of me broke the suspension on his Honda Civic going up the step too fast!

Latest info from Derbyshire County Council is that it's still slipping but they think they will be able to do some investigations next week with a view to a temporary repair and reopening with a 20mph limit on that section. There have been problems with that section for a while. There was a pronounced dip in the road when I started to use the road regualrly about 18 months ago. They resurfaced it in the summer but it started to go again when the recent heavy rain started.

Planner1
29-01-2008, 12:38
Middlewood Road still hasn't been repaired after the landslip during the flood back in June.....the council said it's because of lack of funding....so will there be the necessary funding to mend Snake Pass (of course there will).....even if the funding is diverted away from the Middlewood Road repair :(
Both these roads are under the control of different Local Authorities.
Middlewood Road = Sheffield City Council
Snake Pass = Derbyshire County Council

julado
29-01-2008, 12:52
Both these roads are under the control of different Local Authorities.
Middlewood Road = Sheffield City Council
Snake Pass = Derbyshire County Council

I would suggest it's a dead cert then that the Snake WILL BE repaired whereas SCC can't be asked with Middlewood Road....in fact SCC can't be asked with anything that doesn't make them a profit.:mad:

Be interesting to see just how long it is before Snake is done compared to Middlewood Road :rant:

Planner1
29-01-2008, 12:55
I would suggest it's a dead cert then that the Snake WILL BE repaired whereas SCC can't be asked with Middlewood Road....in fact SCC can't be asked with anything that doesn't make them a profit.:mad:

Be interesting to see just how long it is before Snake is done compared to Middlewood Road :rant:

Different Authorities have different budgets, different problems and different priorities

cgksheff
29-01-2008, 12:56
DCC map suggests that it is just at the end of the tip of the reservoir before Longley Barn:

MAP (http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/about_my_area/spot_map/default.asp?easting=416544&northing=388004&zoom=150&title=Road%20closed)

RIVERDON
29-01-2008, 13:01
am gutted that is like the isle of yorkshire tt course for me

nohands
29-01-2008, 13:04
I thought that Sheffield CC were wanting Govt money to repair the 6102 out of the Flood Relief Fund, whereas DCC would be repairing Snake as a continuing maintenance issue.

Different Authorities have different budgets, different problems and different priorities

S6 D.I.Y
29-01-2008, 13:07
that part of the snake has being damaged for over 4 years that i now of there was traffic lights of the same section over 2 years ago 0.5 miles this side of snake just as you aproach a wonderfull right bend.

Cardboard
29-01-2008, 13:33
They may as well convert it into a motorway whilst they are at it ;)

rinty
29-01-2008, 14:04
Someone on a previous page said they'd been up to look. Whether by foot or by wheel was not stated though.

It was me. I drove up, but it was dark so I didn't take a camera, but trust me, it's not a con :)

MichaelJP
29-01-2008, 14:31
It's the bit that has suffers from subsidence for many years.

They should open it under restriction and build a new section of road below it as a replacement.

They could even do this using modern engineering techniques rather than the usual Peak District road building technique of tipping a lorryload of hot gravel onto a medieval packhorse track.

Jess22
29-01-2008, 14:33
Does anyone have any links to any photos? I'm intrigued to see what it looks like and can't seem to find any.

rebeca
29-01-2008, 14:38
Ive just seen on the derbyshire road closure website that the road is set to be repaired and due to complete on 13th Feb!

Lets hope that they can get it fixed properly and on time; i'm really not enjoying my winnets commute at the mo.

Cardboard
29-01-2008, 14:49
Ive just seen on the derbyshire road closure website that the road is set to be repaired and due to complete on 13th Feb!

Lets hope that they can get it fixed properly and on time; i'm really not enjoying my winnets commute at the mo.

Out of interest, how long extra is it taking you?

rebeca
29-01-2008, 14:57
winnetts is taking me about an hour extra in the mornings at the moment to get to work (evenings is same as the snake) i keep getting stuck in all the morning traffic going through hazel grove & stockport. i cant wait 'til snake pass opens again!

rinty
30-01-2008, 11:21
winnetts is taking me about an hour extra in the mornings at the moment to get to work (evenings is same as the snake) i keep getting stuck in all the morning traffic going through hazel grove & stockport. i cant wait 'til snake pass opens again!

Why don't you go via Chiney and Hayfield back up to Glossop - that would save you having to fight through Stockport, which is always terrible?

S6 D.I.Y
30-01-2008, 11:41
Why don't you go via Chiney and Hayfield back up to Glossop - that would save you having to fight through Stockport, which is always terrible?

i got to go to chape-en-le-frith tonight anybody know the quickest way

Cardboard
30-01-2008, 11:42

I would say along A625 onto A6187 (winnants pass).

medusa
30-01-2008, 11:44

I'd use Winnatts to go to Chapel, whether Snake was open or not.

hillsbro
30-01-2008, 15:12
Definitely the Winnats route for Chapel. Watch out for sheep in the dark!

rinty
30-01-2008, 20:16
Although using Winnets is a couple of miles shorter, the A6 is a much quicker road, so you'll do it quicker by going through Bradwell down to the A6.

I had to do a round trip from to Peak Forest to drop off my son at a party not long ago. I went via Winnets, and because I was facing that way, I came back down the A6 and through Bradwell. It took me five minutes less coming back - the roads were clear both ways.

Cardboard
31-01-2008, 09:15
Overturned lorry on woodhead at the mo, so even thats closed! Do you get the impression that Manchester want to keep themselves to themselves?!!

DUFFEMS
31-01-2008, 09:19
Husband's gone to Ormskirk this morning, Winnats is still O.K. and, although it's still very windy it looks to have improved slightly over there but, conditions change so rapidly in this kind of weather.

Woodhead now closed due to overturned lorry which leaves Winnats the best option!

alchresearch
31-01-2008, 09:30
What gets me is that the weather forecast last night clearly stated high winds overnight and this morning - yet lorries still refuse to use the M62 and go over the Woodhead.

The companies which own these lorries should be fined for blocking such a major artery.

MichaelJP
31-01-2008, 10:35
What gets me is that the weather forecast last night clearly stated high winds overnight and this morning - yet lorries still refuse to use the M62 and go over the Woodhead.

The companies which own these lorries should be fined for blocking such a major artery.

I was talking to an HGV driver a while back and he said that they simply don't take any notice of high winds warnings, it's just a chance they take, after all, probably 100's of other lorries went over the Woodhead and didn't blow over.

DUFFEMS
31-01-2008, 10:47

I totally agree, they don't heed any warnings and make it extremely dangerous for everyone else. If they only "laid up" for a couple of hours until the worst had passed then it would have the effect of everyone reaching their destinations much quicker and safer.
I understand that whilst they aren't moving then they are losing money but, surely they (and everyone else) lose a lot more money when they do blow over!
Lorry drivers used to be respected road users but, not nowadays as most of them are reckless to say the least.
The M62 was built to take the heavy goods vehicles, it very rarely closes as the police are prominent when weather conditions like today happen.
Woodhead would be a safer road for everyone else if lorries would use M62.

halfwayalan
31-01-2008, 19:49
Article in Glossop Chronicle this week says road will be closed until mid February.

Bridgeblox
05-02-2008, 20:01
I rode up to the landslip on Sunday - it's not too bad but it looks like it's going to need substantial repair if it's not to happen again anytime soon. If that's the case then Snake will be out for weeks.

Strix
05-02-2008, 20:43
we travel from woodhouse to the wirral regularly

strangely we've found that the M62 is a little quicker (prob coz you don't have to sit behind people admiring the scenery and there are less bends etc), and it's only about 15 miles more on the journey

Liverpool would be even more accessible

bc-mcfc
05-02-2008, 20:53
I rode up to the landslip on Sunday - it's not too bad but it looks like it's going to need substantial repair if it's not to happen again anytime soon. If that's the case then Snake will be out for weeks.

You might think they'd spend a bit of cash to get it sorted asap with it being such a major link between two cities... no chance

hillsbro
05-02-2008, 22:37
You might think they'd spend a bit of cash to get it sorted asap with it being such a major link between two cities... no chance

I quite agree that to spend some money on a good, long-term solution to the subsidence problem seems logical - but logic isn't the strong point of the powers-that-be. In fact, in the 1970s when a major road a few miles south (the A625 at Mam Tor) was subsiding and was going to be expensive to put right, they simply closed the road permanently..

simonj
05-02-2008, 23:09
I quite agree that to spend some money on a good, long-term solution to the subsidence problem seems logical - but logic isn't the strong point of the powers-that-be. In fact, in the 1970s when a major road a few miles south (the A625 at Mam Tor) was subsiding and was going to be expensive to put right, they simply closed the road permanently..

But Mam Tor has not been called "The Shivering Mountain" for nothing. It is constantly moving and it's probable that any road built on it would not last very long. I don't believe the cost of repairing it had any influence on its closure, just the fact that it would be a case of wasting money on a lost cause.

hillsbro
06-02-2008, 07:53
They had been repairing subsidence on the A625 at Mam Tor for as long as anyone could remember. In the end it just became too expensive.

Cardboard
06-02-2008, 09:03

I don't suppose you got any piccies of it did you? I still haven't seen how it looks.

Plain Talker
06-02-2008, 09:07

The Mam Tor road is absolutely horrendous, though, with huge chunks missing where the land had slipped. There's very little of the road left, and it's certainly not at all safe for vehicles.

I remember happy times as a kid, fossil hunting on Mam Tor, with my dad.

hillsbro
06-02-2008, 09:31
The Mam Tor road is absolutely horrendous, though, with huge chunks missing where the land had slipped. There's very little of the road left, and it's certainly not at all safe for vehicles.

I remember happy times as a kid, fossil hunting on Mam Tor, with my dad.

It's certainly horrendous. Somewhere I have a photo of my nephew standing in a crack in the road, with just his head and shoulders visible. At the time (late 1970s) someone suggested putting the road on deep, Alpine-style concrete piles but the cost would have been prohibitive. Another factor was the desire to keep HGV's out of Castleton with its narrow road, double bend etc. The various options were the subject of a display in the old tourist information office in Castleton, but in the end the road was closed.

No doubt the subsidence on the Snake will be repaired, but when the road will subside again is anyone's guess.

Fossil hunting - oh, the memories... I lost my childhood fossil collection when I moved house. Now I'm the only fossil around....

RebeccaB
06-02-2008, 10:04
I've got to get Sale, Manchester on monday morn for 9am.

I live in Hillsoborough - anyone got recommendation for best way to go? Part of me just thinks it may be easier leaving at circa 6.30am and going up M1, M62 and M60?

Suggestions gratefully received as it sounds like Woodhead is bad too:confused:

HotPhil
06-02-2008, 10:26
I guess it depends on why you need to be in Sale? I'd not risk Woodhead if it's something important and you absolutely have to be there e.g. job interview.

Flightlevel
06-02-2008, 10:30
I walked up the North side of Kinderscout on saturday in the snow and parked at the layby oppositge Blackden Clough immediately where the landslip is.

The road is substantially damaged and has seen vertical movement of 6-9 inches and horizontal movement of similar magnitude leading to large cracks across the two lanes and down the centre line. This occurs in two places approximately 50 yards apart at either side of the landslip.

The road is officially closed however the local authority have installed a temporary chicane at the point of the landslip and have slapped some tarmac down so local access can use the section. Technically speaking this does not stop anyone from still fully using the road as a through road. There are several other chicanes in place at the ladybower end, but it is permissible to pass these for access to Fairholmes, properties and car parks for walking etc.

The damaged caused by the landslip is fairly serious. Albeit the road may open in sort (perhaps with traffic control) it is going to be blighted by on going problems. A permanent solution will require serious investment to sure up the affected slope and stabilise the carrigeway. This is not something that is going to be achived fast. Likely several million pounds and in the region of 18 months or more of disruption given the speed these things generally take.

rinty
06-02-2008, 14:14
The word locally is that DCC want to close Snake Road permanently, but as they need an act of parliament to do so - they can't. The plan is to re-open the road with traffic lights on the damaged section and put a ban on HGV's using the road - they have to carry on using the A6 as they are at the moment.

Obviously this is not official, but it sounds very plausible.

m^rk
06-02-2008, 15:01

ha ha this is Sheffield city council we are Talking about here.:hihi:

HotPhil
06-02-2008, 15:07
Isn't the problem that the inadequate section is actually in Derbyshire? And it's not going to be top of their list to fix is it?

muddycoffee
06-02-2008, 15:26
ha ha this is Sheffield city council we are Talking about here.:hihi:

Nope.

Sheffield ends at Hollow Meadows.

MichaelJP
06-02-2008, 16:49
Isn't the problem that the inadequate section is actually in Derbyshire? And it's not going to be top of their list to fix is it?

I'd have thought there was a good case to put the road under the Highways Agency like the Woodhead, it can't be right for a major artery between South Yorkshire and the Northwest to be under the control of Derbyshire, to whom it means nothing but traffic in the Peaks.

chris@25
06-02-2008, 17:02
I'd have thought there was a good case to put the road under the Highways Agency like the Woodhead, it can't be right for a major artery between South Yorkshire and the Northwest to be under the control of Derbyshire, to whom it means nothing but traffic in the Peaks.

Good luck with that judging by how long the public enquiry into the Mottram bypass scheme is taking, despite it being backed by the local councils and the Highways Agency.

Haydn1971
06-02-2008, 20:19

The A57 was made a trunk road under the 1946 Trunk Roads Act (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/acts/acts1946/pdf/ukpga_19460030_en.pdf) (PDF page 25), however in an act of cost cutting the overnment department of the time, actually detrunked the A57 and many other strategic routes - I'm not sure exactly when the A57 was detrunked, but it might have been at the same time that the principal routes through Sheffield were detrunked after the abolishion of South Yorkshire County.

The current Highways Agency has ditched 1000's of miles of roads like the A57, because they didn't deem them as strategic - which is correct in their context, as (their) strategic means 100mile+ journeys by lorries, not the 20-50mile commutes that we as motorists consider strategic.

My opinion (again) is to pass control over to regional bodies to take charge of the classified road network, all A & B roads, leaving C and unclassified roads to the local authorities... That way we would get the broader view of the middle ground trips - i.e between "strategic" and "local" and hopefully get some real focus on the routes that need improving ! :rant:

Did I just see a pig fly past my window... what do I know, I've only suffered the roads drought industry for 16 years ! :roll:

I have it on good authority that the Highways Agency wish to ditch the Woodhead back into Local Authority control after the Mottram Bypass is (ever) built - The HA, do not know what to do with routes like the Woodhead - i.e. windy roads - they just want to have high quality roads such as Motorways and All Purpose Dual Carriageways under their control, which are in some respects free of local hassle from Elected Members and the Public, because they don't generally have access directly to houses from them, nor issues over parking and maintenance...

angle20
06-02-2008, 23:43
Interesting background, Haydn.

zippy
07-02-2008, 00:11

because Snake isn't a major artery ... the A6, A50, Woodhead and the M62 are the main arteries between the East Midlands / West Riding and Stoke / Manchester - snake isn't fit for significant road freight use therefore isn't going to be designated a trunk route - it is /was a convienient route for west Sheffield to get across towards Manchester ...

1946 trunk roads act of course predates the motorway network the current near motorway standard A50

Bridgeblox
07-02-2008, 00:23
Sorry - didn't get any piccies. My lungs had about prolapsed by the time I'd cycled to that bit of Snake Pass so forgot to get the camera phone out.

bc-mcfc
07-02-2008, 02:12
The word locally is that DCC want to close Snake Road permanently, but as they need an act of parliament to do so - they can't. The plan is to re-open the road with traffic lights on the damaged section and put a ban on HGV's using the road - they have to carry on using the A6 as they are at the moment.

Obviously this is not official, but it sounds very plausible.

It does indeed. I'm not sure exactly how many HGVs I've seen going over the Snake though to be honest. Probably less than 20, in a total number of trips that I've lost count of.

Woodhead is an extra 7 miles, not much in the grand scheme of things but I'm sure we could use it to use the environment argument against the gov't if needs be :hihi: 7 miles x total number of cars diverted over Woodhead = lots of extra carbon ;) (but still nowhere near the amount kicked out by politicians flying around the world to G8 summits to discuss climate change)
Drifting slightly off topic there... anyway, basically they need to get it sorted and open it ASAP or we'll have to kick up a fuss.

Ally_Fraser
07-02-2008, 08:17

Glossop's still Derbyshire though, our beloved Derbyshire County council won't leave it shut off from the rest of us, unprotected from the Mancs, don't worry.

homyachok
08-02-2008, 19:35
Hi

I am travelling to Manchester tomorrow morning and was wondering if Snake Pass is opened yet?? There were some road works 2 weeks ago but not sure if it is finished??

Does anybody know?

Thanks

daftlad
08-02-2008, 19:36
according to traffic reports on the local radio today it has not, may be another two weeks before it does. that was on radio sheffield traffic news this morning

fyy123
08-02-2008, 19:42
Nope I drive upto the Fairholmes centre most days and pass the sign which says that the road is closed. I did heard a rumour that it may be open next Wednesday or Thursday so fingers crossed.

HotPhil
08-02-2008, 19:42
It'll be months, if ever, until it's opened again. I can't see it only being a couple of weeks somehow.

BlackVelvet
08-02-2008, 22:29
If i were you, I'd take the M62 route, as though its a shorter route, you can bank on the woodhead pass being even worse than it normally is while the snake is closed, particularly at peak times
(You can thank those protesting AGAINST the mottram/tintwistle bypass for that)

CrazyDaisy
08-02-2008, 22:33
I travelled over to Manchester yesterday and went via the Woodhead.

No problems at all.

BlackVelvet
08-02-2008, 22:47
dont forget its Half-term weekend though ;)