View Full Version : Tinsley in the 50's and 60's

SnookerJohn
19-02-2005, 20:25
Hi there I have looking at people discussing life in the Attercliffe thread Attercliffe and felt sure that there were many links with Tinsley too.

I was born in Tinsley 1954 and lived on Dundas Road. Dad was disabled and confined to a wheel chair. His name was Ernest Wood. His Father was called Tommy and Mother was Called Mary Ellen. They Lived in Tinsley too, does anyone remember them or interesting aspects of tinsley.

I went to Tinsley County Junior School and remember a few people. Derek Booth, Martin Wilcox Teddy Whitehead.

Remember skipping school and playing down by the canal. Loads of old shells casings and bomb craters to play in.

dave50
30-07-2005, 15:25
do you remember the brand family

kipper
05-03-2010, 09:42
I know this thread is a bit old but do you have any photos of Tinsley during your time living there?

I am compiling a history of the town.

SnookerJohn
05-03-2010, 09:49
I don't have many if any at all, but I will check.

willo
05-03-2010, 10:43
I don't have many if any at all, but I will check.

him8,do you remember the henshaws,johnsons.gordon gibson,john tongue?

SnookerJohn
05-03-2010, 10:56
I seem to recall the name John Tongue but as for the others, the memory fails.

willo
05-03-2010, 11:01
I seem to recall the name John Tongue but as for the others, the memory fails.

him8,they were scooter boys in the early 70s,met up in the cafe behind thhe gulf garage near the pike & heron.

dunney
05-03-2010, 12:02

I remember all of them, I went to Tinsley juniors and Park House with them.

swampy29
05-03-2010, 12:32
I know this thread is a bit old but do you have any photos of Tinsley during your time living there?

I am compiling a history of the town.

Hi what kind of history are you doing?
Just Tinsly or Sheffield as a whole
I am do a slimier thing but on the food in eaten in Sheffield

willo
05-03-2010, 14:55
I remember all of them, I went to Tinsley juniors and Park House with them.

hi,dunney, how they all do'in?

dunney
05-03-2010, 18:02
Hi willo I dont know them anymore, ive not lived in Tinsley for years.

antuk
05-03-2010, 22:50
Hi there I have looking at people discussing life in the Attercliffe thread Attercliffe and felt sure that there were many links with Tinsley too.

I was born in Tinsley 1954 and lived on Dundas Road. Dad was disabled and confined to a wheel chair. His name was Ernest Wood. His Father was called Tommy and Mother was Called Mary Ellen. They Lived in Tinsley too, does anyone remember them or interesting aspects of tinsley.

I went to Tinsley County Junior School and remember a few people. Derek Booth, Martin Wilcox Teddy Wilcox.

Remember skipping school and playing down by the canal. Loads of old shells casings and bomb craters to play in.

i will ask my grandparents they lived on dundas road until a few years ago,they lived at number 88 horace and peggy bluff...they had 4 children richar,ian,stuart and elaine born between 57 and 63 i do believe.

Billy Casper
06-03-2010, 12:36
I went to Park House from 81-85! Happy days :cool:

keith276
26-05-2010, 14:59
I lived in Tinsley up to 1961. 1954 i went in the services.
I lived on Ferrars rd. as did Ken Dawson D Smyth and others.

Afilsdesigne
26-05-2010, 15:30
Both sets of my grandparents lived in Tinsley, went to visit them every weekend from school (mid 60's). The Smiths (Eric and Edith) lived on Norbourgh Road and the Thompsons (Howard and Emily) lived in a yard with Mrs Crombie on St Lawrence Road behind the corner shop. Tinsley was a heavy industry area with glass windows stained bright orange because of fumes from the steelworks. It was almost exclusively white working class people who lived there and all were very friendly. Amazing how things change.

serelle
31-05-2010, 02:46
I lived in Tinsley in the 50s/60s - Me and my mum and dad lived on Dundas Road, the top end near Town Street, then we moved to Newburn Road and we were rehoused in 1965 for the building of the new motorway intersection. My dad worked at Darwins and my mum worked at British Steel Offices on Shepcote Lane. My dad took me walks down Lock Lane by the canal and over the Halfpenny Bridge and we went for picnics on Hadfields Sports Ground on Bawtry Road - the swings, roundabout and tennis courts in the 'rec' were good too!

keith276
31-05-2010, 08:52
I also worked at Darwins from 51 to 62. my dad worked in the magnet dept.
I was working at Tinsley wire when the new motorway was built.

cliffsharky
31-05-2010, 19:20
i will ask my grandparents they lived on dundas road until a few years ago,they lived at number 88 horace and peggy bluff...they had 4 children richar,ian,stuart and elaine born between 57 and 63 i do believe.

Hi antuk just like to no how elaine is used to see her at a youth club .must be the 70`s last time we met.:roll:

antuk
31-05-2010, 19:44
Hi antuk just like to no how elaine is used to see her at a youth club .must be the 70`s last time we met.:roll:

she's fine as far as i know she lives down in somerst so don't see her much but yeah she is married with 2 lads.

cliffsharky
01-06-2010, 19:40
she's fine as far as i know she lives down in somerst so don't see her much but yeah she is married with 2 lads.

thanks antuk nice girl elaine :)

buck
01-06-2010, 20:25
I was bombed out of Greaseborough road December 15th 1940. The street was obliterated by the building of the M1 I believe. We then went to live on Plumpers road, where the cellar flooded as the result of another german bomb. Finally we gave up and moved to Abbeydale. But I still went to school in Tinsley till I got to Nether Edge Grammar

roggert
05-06-2010, 21:09
i used to go to the cinema at the side of the canal near to the old plumpers pub before the area was knocked down. the cinema was where the end of the bridge meets the m1 junction rounabout on the lower level

Johnsworld
29-10-2012, 14:13
Lived in Tinsley until 1972, spent many an happy hour on the 'rec'. Remember the old Plumpers pub before it and and lot of the local houses were knocked down. My grandmother lived on Plumpers road before it was demolished, she used to tell me of the times she baby-sat Gordon Banks (the ex england goalkeeper).

Had great fun when the viaduct was built, karting and playing football in the underpass, lots to explore - like the time me, Paul Radford and Martin Jarvis got inside the lower deck and went from one end to the other. Luckily we found a torch near the entrance as it was needed.
I remember quite a few of the names mentioned in this post. Happy days!!

serelle
29-10-2012, 14:38
Does anyone remember any the shops on 'the front'? I remember Ryves chemist on the end next to Town Street, the Co-Op on the other end next to Bawtry Road plus Tinsley Post Office, Home Farm Products, Steels bakers, Mr Eales paper shop, Walters fish & chip shop, the front of the Methodist Chapel, a sweet shop, a haberdashery shop, an ironmongers and Hanbys Furniture shop.

Johnsworld
29-10-2012, 15:14
On Sheffield Road was the Chemist (bottom of Town street), hardware shop, barbers, post office, Melias - the foodshop. Further down on canal side was a glazing merchant.

Dundas road, was a general shop - sweets & foodstuff, it closed and became a chippy.
Raby street - was a cafe towards the bottom, further up was a veg shop and at the top a hardware shop one side with a sweetshop the other.

At Highgate there was Knights' foodstore.

On St Lawrence road was a paper shop, where, if it was Sunday afternoon and closed, the newspapers were left outside the shop and you took what you required and put the money through the letterbox.

All these were long before the shopping precinct was built on Bawtry road.

Billy Casper
29-10-2012, 16:05
There was also the Co-Op, Avrils haberdashery, round corner from Co-Op was the butchers, further down St Lawrence Road was Knowles fresh fish shop and Violets shop on other corner!

kay1
29-10-2012, 16:14
I can go back a bit further I was born on the "Huts" which were on Shepcote Lane in 1936 and moved to Town St. We lived opposite Shaws Greengrocers and Benetts chip shop. I went to Tinsley School. (Mr Carlisle headteacher) I think our best place to play apart from the rec. was down the canal bank playing on the barges and walking over the locks, didnt think about the dangers because I coudn't swim. I have just made contact with my childhood friend after losing contact for almost 60 years. Anybody remember Hadfields and Darwins Galas I think all Tinsley turned out on these days. Going to Haywards Farm with a jug to fetch a pint of milk (never got home with a full pint kept stopping for a drink) I moved before the viaduct was built so all the shops were still on the front when I left, as was the Tinsley Picture House. Happy memories

SnookerJohn
29-10-2012, 16:38
HI Kay 1, my Dad was born in tinsley Huts, I wonder did you evercome across Thomas and Mary Ellen Wood or their Kids Ernest, Billy and a few others?

Cheers
John Wood

kay1
29-10-2012, 16:53
HI Kay 1, my Dad was born in tinsley Huts, I wonder did you evercome across Thomas and Mary Ellen Wood or their Kids Ernest, Billy and a few others?

Cheers
John Wood

Did they move into Tinsley when the huts were demolished? I cant bring the names to mind but I did live in Tinsley until about 1957

sedith
29-10-2012, 16:56
Used to knock about with some girls from Dundas Road area during the early 70's, think their surname was Otter? Does it ring a bell with anyone?

SnookerJohn
29-10-2012, 16:58
Yes Kay am sure they did, when my Dad married my Mum (Ernest and Doris) they lived at 124 Dundas Rd, where I was born and my dad was disabled had a three wheeled electric car.

kay1
29-10-2012, 17:13
Yes Kay am sure they did, when my Dad married my Mum (Ernest and Doris) they lived at 124 Dundas Rd, where I was born and my dad was disabled had a three wheeled electric car.

I can remember a disabled man in a electric car that lived on Dundas Rd. but he was older than me (not been able to say that for a few years) so would you have been one of the younger children. I do have a younger brother Alan (Plant) does that ring any bells with you? We also had the Saxelbys who lived next door to us.

serelle
29-10-2012, 23:26
We lived at 6 Dundas Road for a while, my friend Elizabeth Drabble lived opposite us. I had some friends who lived at 118, twins Mavis & Janet Booth, they had an older sister Rita.

820vitesse
06-11-2012, 12:01
Was brought up at 27 Ferrars Rd and about 1968 moved to Oversley St across from Jennisons.As a kid always thought Brinny was the promised land When I got married I moved there but still came back to The Duck and the TWIL club.Sold up and came home onto Maplebeck.

terry457
06-11-2012, 14:48

What about little mass (stuart mason) he was a bit of a lad wern't he ?

Johnsworld
06-11-2012, 14:55
I remember Gordon Gibson, he lived on Sheffield Road. We used to hang around together for a while. Also remember he had a younger brother, can't remember his name.

PeterJames
06-11-2012, 21:30
Sadly, today I have returned home from Brinsworth having attended the funeral of my cousin Dennis Milner. His brother Jim has very kindly let me have Dennis's drafted autobiography which I hope to complete - a couple of chapters missing. Whilst having a number of memories of Tinsley of my own Dennis's memories, he was born at 46 Newmarch Street in 1931, are more relevant to the thread in that a recalled a number of shops on Sheffield Road ("The Front"). Apart from the ones mentioned by others they are: F Downs& Sons-Butchers, E Steel & Sons- Bakers, S. Huddart - Hardware, H Swindells - Hairdresser, H.L.Robinson - Hairdresser. I will include just one of "mine" - Bennett's Fish and Chips Shop was mentioned - I called this " Uncle Georges" simply because Mr Bennett(?) looked like my Uncle George, Dennis and Jim's father!

Johnsworld
07-11-2012, 11:07
[/QUOTE]There was also the Co-Op, Avrils haberdashery, round corner from Co-Op was the butchers, further down St Lawrence Road was Knowles fresh fish shop and Violets shop on other corner! [QUOTE]

Was the Fresh Fish shop near the bottom of Town street?
We lived on Sheffield Road and had an alley to the rear, it came out opposite the Fresh Fish Shop.

I recall our cat once pinched a large fish out of the shop and struggled to drag it home down the alley, this must have been around 1960.

serelle
07-11-2012, 11:29
Bennetts fish and chip shop on the corner of Newburn Road/Town Street also sold wet fish and was nearly opposite the alley at the back of the houses on Sheffield Road, I used to go down that alley as my friend Maureen Harrison lived with her mum, dad and nan-nan in those houses and I remember a girl called Lily Howe did too, I lived on Newburn Road at the time (late 50s/early 60s).

Johnsworld
07-11-2012, 11:38
Hi Serelle
I remember Lilly Howe, she used to baby sit me and my sister. Think she lived in first house on Sheffield Road on the corner of Town Street. What number did Maureen Harrison live at, we lived at 290, next door to Mr & Mrs Mason.

serelle
07-11-2012, 12:31
I think she lived at 288, but her and her mum & dad moved about 1961 when they got a council flat at Upperthorpe, I suppose her nan-nan stayed there as it was her house, but I don't know what her name was.

Johnsworld
07-11-2012, 12:40
I vaguely remember a girl living nearby, didn't know her name, only that she was older. Could be your friend serelle. I was 7yrs old in 1961.

serelle
07-11-2012, 12:50
Yes maybe, cos me (and Maureen) would have been 11 in 1961, we moved in 1965 when they pulled our house down to build the motorway junction.

Johnsworld
07-11-2012, 13:07
Small world!!

Johnsworld
14-05-2013, 10:54
Does anyone remember Teddy Whitehead off Norborogh Road?

If you any info whatsoever please come back as it could be important.

Thanks

serelle
14-05-2013, 11:06
hi, yes, I remember the family, his sister Mary was in my class at school and she was a friend of mine. I was often at their house and thier dad taught me card games, however I don't know what happened to any of them, sorry..... do you know anything more about them?

Johnsworld
14-05-2013, 11:18
Hi Serelle, thanks for the reply.

Can you confirm which school Teddy or his sister went to. What age was his sister when you knew her? Also, can you remember what number on Norborough Road they lived at, or an indication of whereabouts on Norborough Road they lived?

Thanks

serelle
14-05-2013, 11:39
hi John, they both went to Tinsley Infants and Junior School on
Plumpers road at Tinsley. Mary didn't pass her 11-plus so she stayed on at the senior school on Plumpers Road. I didn't really see her much after that as I passed my 11-plus and so I went to a different school across the city. I don't know about Teddy but he did go to the infants and junior school. I've been looking at the houses on Google and I think they lived at number 10, they definitely lived on the 'evens' side, not far on, at the right hand passage house in a block of 4......the house used to look a bit rundown overall.

---------- Post added 14-05-2013 at 12:40 ----------

ps - Mary will be 63 to 64 years old now.

Johnsworld
14-05-2013, 12:26
Hi again serelle, you are definatley correct with the address, I was a mate of Teddys and used to call there on a regular basis.

I lost contact with Teddy years ago and have since been told he died in or around 1980 but can't find any information regarding his death.

There must be someone out there who has some information which would confirm or not whether he has died.

serelle
14-05-2013, 12:41
Are you on Facebook John? Have you tried to find any old friends on there who might know, or any relations of Teddys maybe.....I can't remember seeing any relatives at their house, but you never know - good luck x

---------- Post added 14-05-2013 at 13:41 ----------

Or on Friends Reunited perhaps....

Johnsworld
14-05-2013, 14:03
I don't do Facebook or Friends Reunited - perhaps someone out there can have a look.

Many thanks serelle

tmw353
14-05-2013, 18:21
Hi I am also trying to find Teddy Whitehead. Just wondered if anyone has any photos of Teddy or knows what happend to him. Have heard that he was in a really bad accident in late 70's early 80's. I am a relative that has lost contact. If you can help please pm me.

Hampson
17-05-2013, 14:53
Hi I used to live on highgate in one of the cotages untill I got married and then I lived on Ferars drive and I went to the tinsley county school left there in 1955 i would like to talk to anybody whow remembers me Brian Hampson