Sword Dancing

One of my purchases at the Sheffield Fayre was of a book detailing British Myth and folklore.

There are details inside that tell of two sword Dancing groups from Handsworth and Grenoside that do dancing with swords. Very much like morris dancing but more northern :D

Does anyone know if these groups are still going. The two mentioned in there were still performing around 1971 which is when the book was published.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Moon Maiden

I saw both of these teams in the early 80s - my dad was into folk music and stuff, so it was the kind of thing he'd drag us to!

Actually, they were both fantastic, though I have trouble separating them in my mind. I think both wore vaguely military-looking uniforms, and when the dance finished up, all the swords were knitted together into a star which one bloke could hold up above his head. I'm sure this 'star' has a traditional name which someone more beardy and real-ale addled than me might know.

One of them - or possibly both - traditionally danced every Boxing Day (though they appeared on other occasions too).

Not sure if they're still going, but I think both had a very long history so it would be a shame if they're not.

Handsworth Sword Dancers

One aspect to the Handsworth history which we remains very much alive is the traditional sword dancing. The origins of this ancient ritual are unknown, and it is possible that they lie in pre-Christian magic.

Using long steel swords, a team of eight men perform a dance which lasts about nine minutes and ends with all the swords being interlocked and held aloft by one man. Traditional music is played and the dancers wear a military style uniform similar to the Dragoons.

Traditionally, there were two clowns who performed for the crowd and collected money. At Christmas time, the sword dancers would tour the local villages and public houses. The sword dancing continued until the First World War and there was a revival of interest during the late 1920s. It survived through the Second World War because the sword dancers had priority occupations in the coal mines and in the steel works so they were not conscripted.

The traditional dancing on Boxing Day in Handsworth and Woodhouse was revived in 1963, and in 1976 the clowns were reintroduced. The historic sight of Handsworth sword dancing can still be seen to this day on Boxing Day morning, in front of St Mary's Church. The dancers, and their audience, then adjurn to the for well-earned refreshment and communal Carol singing.

http://www.handsworth.org.uk/history

That is fantastic!! Thanks for those

The description given in the book mentions that they take the leaders hat off using the star of swords.

Here is what my books says:

In the iron-mining villages around Sheffield and in the Cleveland district of North Yorkshire traditional dances, performed with 30-40 in. long swords made of steel or wood, are practised still by temas of six or eight men. The dances vary from area to area but all involve the mock decapitation of their leader.

The orgins of sword dancing, like those of mumming plays, are obscure. One theory is that the dances once formed part of an annual folk play, but as audiences grew increasingly sophisticated and became bored with the dramtic part of this it was discarded, and on the dances and some songs were retained.

Moon

Grenoside sword-dance team perform every boxing day outside the Old Harrow rain, snow, wind or blow. I think its at 11 'til midday.

Originally posted by Moon Maiden

One of my purchases at the Sheffield Fayre was of a book detailing British Myth and folklore.

There are details inside that tell of two sword Dancing groups from Handsworth and Grenoside that do dancing with swords. Very much like morris dancing but more northern :D

Does anyone know if these groups are still going. The two mentioned in there were still performing around 1971 which is when the book was published.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Moon Maiden

Whilst searching for a Scottish Piper in this area, I found a folk music/dance website that had a bunch of female Goth Morris Dancers :confused:

I saw a group performing in the Hillsborough Hotel a year or so ago. Very dramatic if a bit scary as there wasn't much room and all these swords are flying around in the middle of the pub.

Didn't the Grenoside lot used to be called the Grenoside Rappers?

It's sad if they've had to change their name so as not to get confused with "rap music" - although the thought of somebody MC'ing dressed up in Morris Dance gear does appeal in a strange sort of way.

My longest-standing friend, who used to live in Sheffield but has retired to Derbyshire, is a member of the Handsworth sword-dancing team.

It is sad if the Grenoside dancers have to change their name. Strictly speaking, rapper dancing is a North-eastern form of sword dancing, each dance consisting of five members, who do end up making an intricate (pentangular) knot without ever letting go of the ends of the swords. I'm not sure if the Grenoside ones do this, but the Handsworth ones do other kinds of sword dancing even though they also end up with a knot of the swords interlaced together.

Neither team should be confused with Morris dancers--that's a separate tradition.

Originally posted by Waltheof

My longest-standing friend, who used to live in Sheffield but has retired to Derbyshire, is a member of the Handsworth sword-dancing team.

It is sad if the Grenoside dancers have to change their name. Strictly speaking, rapper dancing is a North-eastern form of sword dancing, each dance consisting of five members, who do end up making an intricate (pentangular) knot without ever letting go of the ends of the swords. I'm not sure if the Grenoside ones do this, but the Handsworth ones do other kinds of sword dancing even though they also end up with a knot of the swords interlaced together.

Neither team should be confused with Morris dancers--that's a separate tradition.

yes they do the pentagon with the five swords, I went yesterday, but I don't know how long the group can last because every dancer was an OAP. good show though

Our Family friend dancers with the Handsworth Sword Team and has done since i was a baby!

We watch them every year on the last Sunday before Christmas! Its always a great laugh!

The were at the Highcliffe pub this year and were at the Dev Cat last year!

Hope that helps!

Miss Feathers