Helping look after someone who has hip operation

me an my partner have just come back from his pre op assesment an there is alot more involved then i thought im going to be the one looking after him helping him wash get in bed an do basically everthing has anyone else cared for anyone after the op an if so can you give me a bit of advice an tips to try an make it as stress free as possible for us.

i just dont want him to get himself down because of not being able to do much for himself

On NHS Direct, this info might help (the article appears to cover replacement and reshaping).http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=522&sectionId=26

You'll see it mentions an occupational therapist may be able to help with stuff for the home, like a raised toilet seat and dressing aids. I'd have thought it would be a very good idea to get your chap as many things as possible that will enable him to do things for himself, then it should be easier for you to help with the things he really cannot manage (men being somewhat independent and awkward beasts on occasion!).

Another thing that might be really handy is a pick up stick, I find them invaluable for my aged ma-in-law and it saves my back, too, when i'm clearing litter from the front garden!

If occupational therapists don't supply them, you can get them in most mobility type shops or I've even seen them in Marks & Sparks!

A friend of mine had his hip done recently. He has some 'raised legs' that will fit under any chair and quite a few other things - the raised toilet seat etc. The magnetic/grip stick is brilliant too. He got really fed up of being cooped up in the house but can't cope with visitors for too long and can't go out for long either so it's a matter of 'little and often' to break up the days.

My hubby had his hip replaced in November. The occupational therapist arranged a toilet frame, showerboard and urine bottle to be deivered by community services, who were very efficient. When he came out he was given a grab stick, long handled bath sponge, long-handled shoe horn and sock gutter.

Coming out of hospital after an op is always daunting but actually he didn't need much help after the first week. I left him drinks, fruit and food when I went to work but he was managing to get himself sandwiches and a cuppa within a short while. I had to help him with his sock and shoe (because he insisted on wearing lace up desert boots not slippers or slip-ons). I think I was more anxious than he was! After a week he was hobbling over the road to the shop with his crutches and managed to get out to the pub for a drink. He has had trouble finding a comfortable position to sleep in bed and at first he was continually waking me up but it's not so bad now.

Unfotunately he has terrible sciatica so his recovery has been not been as fast as we hoped but the hip's fine.

A friend of mine had his hip done recently. He has some 'raised legs' that will fit under any chair and quite a few other things - the raised toilet seat etc. The magnetic/grip stick is brilliant too. He got really fed up of being cooped up in the house but can't cope with visitors for too long and can't go out for long either so it's a matter of 'little and often' to break up the days.

I agree with those Bonny and would add........be careful not to try driving too soon after the operation as it can cause a lot of pressure on the new hip.

One piece of advice that the physio ( I can't spell physiotherapist)gave me was.......the longer you look after your hip in the first few months, the longer it will look after you.

I have just got back from a cycling trip in India.I was with a group of people,one of whom has had both an artificial hip and an artificial knee fitted.She felt no pain whilst cycling.Of course people's circumstances vary and there may be other factors that present obstacles.

Best wishes.