Induction at Work - Any Good One's??

I am currently looking at our companies induction course as it is in need of a major change. I want to know whether anyone has had a really good induction at their work and if so, what was included in it, what made it good?

Cheers

Hi there,

I've had a million menial jobs and all I can say is for gods sake try and make it interesting! Throw in some jokes, sweets, naked mud wrestling, whatever, to brighten up all the health and safety rubbish

Yeah, health and safety is the first thing I'm looking at. Definitely more interaction and group games etc.

What is the size of the organisation?

How many people will be inducted at any one time?

Who is responsible for carrying out the induction?

Think about the aims and objectives of the induction, what must people be aware of in a) the first day b) the first week c) the first month etc. Ensure recap and review. Have the needs of the individual been met?

A checklist is always a useful tool for individuals and managers alike.

I think the main thing to be aware of is that inductions can be very mentaly tiring (as well as pretty boring) so it's good to have quite a few short breaks included as some 'chill out time' this also gives people the opportunity to network if there's a group of them.

At my last company we had a 4 day induction that was the worlds most borring! we were powerpointed to death and then ask to do stupid tasks like talk you your neighbour and find out 5 things they like doing etc....

All we wanted to know was who the boss was, what the company did, how WE fit into that, and then be on our way.

Yes. The first thing your newbie will be wanting to know is A) what'll I be doing and B) what's it like working here. The trouble with inductions is that they sort of get in the way of answering those questions. The induction for my current job lasted two days, I didn't understand any of the technical stuff (none of it turned out to be relevant anyway), and there was nothing more embarassing than playing silly games with people you've only just met. I think the main thing is to make everyone feel at home and keep it simple.

this isn't really my story to tell, but my boyfriend has just started at george and for part of his 2 week induction, he had to spend a weekend at asda in leeds. About 3 times over the weekend they had to 'do' the asda chant which involves clapping yourself into a frenzy, then slapping your bum 'thats asda price' style, then chanting 'give me an a, s, d, a, who's number 1 - the customer' - he wasn't much impressed, said it was very embarrasing and was happy to find out george don't do it - unlike asda staff who do it every week in the office, and every day in the shops before opening - oh dear!

Come on Tracy, remember the egg-dropping challenge! You must have been involved in that a thousand times IIRC! Try it is an ice-breaker!

K x

im glad i work for myself, but i could get my mate to chant I CAN LIFT THAT SOFA every morning.