View Full Version : Markaz Shisha Lounge to be prosecuted for flouting the law.

lazyherbert
15-01-2008, 15:47
Saw this on the news last night & my opinion is that it should be banned along with all the other tobacco smoking gadgets.Please no racist remarks.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7188402.stm

slimsid2000
15-01-2008, 15:49
In a word Yes.

xruthx
15-01-2008, 15:53
if the law says no smoking in a public place then ALL smoking should be banned.

i am not racist but cannot help but get a little miffed over this:mad:

slimsid2000
15-01-2008, 15:56
Race does not come into it. Once you start making exeption then other groups will want one. The next thing you know the smoking ban will be very patchy and full of loopholes.

steveb2007
15-01-2008, 15:57

I get your point,but shouldn't this be left up to the owner of the establishment and non-smokers will not go in there,if they don't like smoke?:suspect:

nick2
15-01-2008, 15:59
I get your point,but shouldn't this be left up to the owner of the establishment and non-smokers will not go in there,if they don't like smoke?:suspect:

That has been suggested before, but non-smokers for some reason are compelled to go where the smoke is.

xruthx
15-01-2008, 15:59

yes totally agree and i feel uncomfatable when my smoking friends have to slink outside like social lepers:(

lazyherbert
15-01-2008, 16:01

Then you deprive the non-smoker of the benefits of that establishment i.e. food.

slimsid2000

You mean like it was before last July? And how many pubs were non-smoking under that arrangment? About 10 nationwide I think.:loopy:

lyndix
If smoking is banned then it should be banned all together.
If they let them get away with this then surely people could start smoking herbal cigarettes(you know the really smelly things that taste like crap)in pubs and clubs under the same argument.

dan_999uk
15-01-2008, 16:14
I understand these places can still operate, but anyone wishing to smoke needs to go outdoors as with every other public venue. That seems fair to me.

Magilla
15-01-2008, 16:16
Saw this on the news last night & my opinion is that it should be banned along with all the other tobacco smoking gadgets.Please no racist remarks.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7188402.stm

Quite so, the guy on there saying theres no proof smoking it was bad is simply deluded. Like stepping back in time 60 years.

If that's their argument they have zero chance. Ignorance and burying your head in the sand doesn't help anyone.

Magilla
15-01-2008, 16:17

No.. because as an employer you have a responsibility to your staff, and their health.

Jabberwocky
15-01-2008, 16:21
I mentioned last year on sf that these places would be exempt from the law or would cause trouble when the ban first came into force, and although I was wrong about them being exempt, I was right about the ban.

Lets see if the government stick to their guns about this.... or will they cave in and let them continue to smoke because its a "Cultural issue"

I have a sneaky feeling what the outcome will be...

angle20
15-01-2008, 16:42
I think shisha bars should be exempt from the smoking ban. I once had a little dabble with shisha abroad and I think the atmosphere is likely to be quite different from a roomful of people smoking fags. For Muslims, who don't drink alcohol, shisha bars are one of the limited opportunities for bar-type nightlife.

Tony
15-01-2008, 16:43
The Government has stuff all to do with it. Bradford Council are prosecuting. I can't see how they won't succeed.

evildrneil
15-01-2008, 16:49
Why doesn't the Shisha Bar simply re-invent themselves as a private club then they can puff away to their hearts content?

alex3659
15-01-2008, 17:04
Why doesn't the Shisha Bar simply re-invent themselves as a private club then they can puff away to their hearts content?

can private clubs allow smoking then ?

evildrneil
15-01-2008, 17:14
can private clubs allow smoking then ?

Sorry my mistake - there was an exemption in the original bill which was later removed. To coin a phrase - DOH!!!!

chem1st
15-01-2008, 17:22
Most major cities have sheesha cafes you know.

I think the loss of any social venue, due to an ill thought out and unworkable ban is a loss to society.

Pretty soon, well all become somewhat agrophobic.

I can see myself saying to the kids, back in't day sonny, we used to walk to the shops everyday, and other places too like pubs, but eventually they all closed down. Now we just order everything through that magic box in the middle of the room.

retep
15-01-2008, 17:32
I mentioned last year on sf that these places would be exempt from the law or would cause trouble when the ban first came into force, and although I was wrong about them being exempt, I was right about the ban.

Lets see if the government stick to their guns about this.... or will they cave in and let them continue to smoke because its a "Cultural issue"

I have a sneaky feeling what the outcome will be...

Surely if they use the "Cultural issue" as an excuse, they may as well overturn the law altogether, people have smoked in pubs for hundreds of years, or doesn't that count as culture.

A filthy habit and the sooner it dies out the better.

Jabberwocky
15-01-2008, 17:34
Surely if they use the "Cultural issue" as an excuse, they may as well overturn the law altogether, people have smoked in pubs for hundreds of years, or doesn't that count as culture.

A filthy habit and the sooner it dies out the better.

Agreed even though I smoke myself, its a vile habit.

Trouble is, these bars could so very easily stir the pot, and I fully expect them to do so before very long.

If they win then its only fair that pubs and clubs win too.

cressida
15-01-2008, 17:39
while we're discussing this are herbal cigarettes banned also?

boyfriday
15-01-2008, 17:56

It's not a race issue at all Ruth.. the Shisha is not alone!

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/Licensee-defies-pub-smoking-ban.3658261.jp

..and to answer the OP, yes they should be prosecuted in my opinion.

lyndix
15-01-2008, 18:01

That was the point I was trying to make in my post.
If they do allow this then surely herbal cigs should be allowed.

Alastair
15-01-2008, 18:21
Sorry my mistake - there was an exemption in the original bill which was later removed. To coin a phrase - DOH!!!!

I wonder why that exemption to allow private smoking clubs was removed? It would have saved a lot of bother to allow them and been in the interests of greater freedom.

Oh yeah... greater freedom, not something this government wants.

UrbanCaveman
15-01-2008, 18:24
I wonder why that exemption to allow private smoking clubs was removed? It would have saved a lot of bother to allow them and been in the interests of greater freedom.

Oh yeah... greater freedom, not something this government wants.

The reason is that every pub owner I knew was going to turn their boozer into a privates members club to circumvent the ban.

Tony
15-01-2008, 18:49

Smoking in all its forms is banned in the work place. It's a simple law to follow.

Alastair
15-01-2008, 18:54
Smoking in all its forms is banned in the work place. It's a simple law to follow.

How do they test cigarretes at the cigarette factory?

cloudybay
15-01-2008, 18:57
How do they test cigarretes at the cigarette factory?

Beagles in the car park..............perhaps ?

waldershelf
16-01-2008, 10:29
Most major cities have sheesha cafes you know.

And now they are illegal...good

I think the loss of any social venue, due to an ill thought out and unworkable ban is a loss to society.
The ban is not ill thought out, you are not allowed to smoke where people are in employment or to where members of the public have access its one of the simplest and most straight forward pieces of legislation and it works very well in my experience.Pretty soon, well all become somewhat agrophobic.

I can see myself saying to the kids, back in't day sonny, we used to walk to the shops everyday, and other places too like pubs, but eventually they all closed down. Now we just order everything through that magic box in the middle of the room.

abdull
16-01-2008, 17:24
a couple sneak into toilets on an aeroplane,
"bit cramped in here..have u got the condom?" 1 of em whispers
"here it is" comes the reply.
followed shortly by "......aahh...thats great"
suddenly theres static on the speaker n a voice
"this is the captain speaking to those 2 people in the rear toilet,we know what your doing and its forbidden by the airline regulations.
now put those cigarettes out and take the condom off the smoke detector"

Fiat500
16-01-2008, 17:42
A ban is a ban and should be total. If the Shisha bars are allowed to carry on regardless, all public houses and buildings should be able to allow the Shisha. Do we want to go down that road, because that is what will happen? As for pub landlords who come on tv 'proudly' sitting there drinking a pint and blowing smoke into the air, they deserve to be fined for flouting the law.

cgksheff
16-01-2008, 22:16
....... the Shisha is not alone!

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/Licensee-defies-pub-smoking-ban.3658261.jp

UPDATE on The Golden Fleece:

..... But it transpired he hever had a licence for the Golden Fleece and had no right to run the pub .....

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/Greetland-smoking-pub-shut-down.3680386.jp

Alastair
16-01-2008, 22:56
A ban is a ban and should be total. If the Shisha bars are allowed to carry on regardless, all public houses and buildings should be able to allow the Shisha. Do we want to go down that road, because that is what will happen? As for pub landlords who come on tv 'proudly' sitting there drinking a pint and blowing smoke into the air, they deserve to be fined for flouting the law.

If shisha cafes are allowed to carry on then maybe smoking would be allowed in pubs again which would be a result. I'm not a smoker myself, but I believe there should be smoking and non smoking rooms in pubs. We tried the no smoking route and pubs just aren't the same and we're losing a valuable part of our national culture as more and more pubs close or are converted into restaurants ( "gastropubs" ).

rubydazzler
16-01-2008, 23:06
At first I welcomed the ban on smoking in enclosed public places and I'd have been even more pleased if it was banned everywhere. Nothing worse than a mouthful of secondhand smoke when you're walking along the road in the morning!

Now I think although it's helping some younger people smoke and drink less, it's a disaster for smaller pubs and wmc, whose customer base is mostly older and more inclined to be hardened smokers but less hale and hearty and able to go outside for a few drags, especially in this weather.

It's just taken away what little social life some of them had. Private clubs, locals and these smoking bars should have been left with the option of providing a smoking room with good ventilation, I think, maybe .... :confused::huh::help:

Ghostrider
17-01-2008, 00:14
I think shisha bars should be exempt from the smoking ban. I once had a little dabble with shisha abroad and I think the atmosphere is likely to be quite different from a roomful of people smoking fags. For Muslims, who don't drink alcohol, shisha bars are one of the limited opportunities for bar-type nightlife.iF THESE BARS ARE EXEMPT - SO SHOULD NO OTHER BARS BE - END OF !