View Full Version : Colley School/Parson Cross College

Bartonk
14-09-2003, 23:58
I hear that Colley School is about to be demolished and I was wondering if anyone knew when Colley ceased to be a comprehensive school? What happened to all the kids there? What became of all the teachers when it changed to a college?

I was there in the 60's and have fond memories.

tango2
26-11-2003, 19:21
Originally posted by Bartonk
I hear that Colley School is about to be demolished and I was wondering if anyone knew when Colley ceased to be a comprehensive school? What happened to all the kids there? What became of all the teachers when it changed to a college?

I went to Colley in the early 80s,I think it stopped being a comp in the latter end.
I left in 83 and it was still going strong,not sure about knocking it down,I live nearby and as far as im aware its still going strong

sandy
19-12-2003, 10:46
hello

l live in parson cross and in a history group
would love to here from people who used to live here and have storys about the way parson cross was

tiffy
19-01-2004, 20:21
Hi, as a former Colley school pupil myself I'm rather sad with the latest developments. My eldest child would have been ready to move up in to Colley but instead went to Yewlands - this was around 88-89 (I need to check the dates I'm getting rather old myself now). Anyway since those first changes Colley became known as the Parson Cross site of the Sheffield college and the old St Peter's catholic school became known as the Monteney site of the Sheff college. Come 2005 the school is destined to be demolished to make way for private housing, as is the old catholic school. The old age pensioners flats have already been demolished and the cul-de-sac area of those flats just behind the new Wordsworth Tavern is the area earmarked for the building of a new community centre. As far as I know this new building will include all the printing workshops that now operate in the Monteney site (St Petes) and a library/garden centre/tea room.
The library will be demolished so as to extend the co op on Margetson shops. Sad isn't it? That's why I'm joining Sandy's group working to research and document all these changes and hopefully all that went before.

baron10
01-03-2007, 21:27
i was the last year to attend colley school in 88-89 we used to fight with st peters after my year it became the college but then i left sheffield so i dont know whats happened since but id love to know

itsmewhy
01-03-2007, 22:07
was at st peters in the 70s us and colley did battle many times anyone remember the marden coffe bar where we hung out .

mallyskin
24-07-2008, 22:06
was at st peters in the 70s us and colley did battle many times anyone remember the marden coffe bar where we hung out .

i use to go in the marden left colley about 72,and had many a battle with st peters. skins for ever.

Mr Pops
24-07-2008, 22:15
lived on the cross for 25 yrs and went to Colley School left in 1979.

My name is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i lived on Holgate Rd in the steel houses in the 70s.
Love to here from anyone who knows me.

rosie
12-09-2008, 23:16
Think i may know you i used to knock around with deb gillott.niel unwin

wackyjaki
23-02-2010, 17:03

i allso was there in the sixtys iused to love the sheep a famly who lived across my back garden used to bring a sheep home to eat there grass in the holls forgot what there name was now

wackyjaki
23-02-2010, 17:12
was anyone at colley around 64 67 i remember some names john gallivan anita dexster kath warren jacqueline pegg pat addams josie vincent my memorey int so good now they were all in my year love to know what became of them

beasley
28-02-2010, 15:05
idiots burnt it down a few years ago supposed to be building houses on land but what with recession who knows?

nelly-dean
01-03-2010, 00:41
Hey jaki, I was there during those years! I was in mr Burgins class in the 4th year in '67, or 4TC as it was called..All very posh lol I still remember a few names..especially the sheep, hawkins and the goat cilla. Bloody thing took a chunk out of my new bag!:D For anyone that may remember me, i'm Jean Roebuck and lived on milnrow rd till '79. Jeez what good memories i've got of my time on the "cross". Best place to grow up imo..:)

Joto
01-03-2010, 00:45
Hi Jean you've not been on here for awhile, remember I lived on Milnrow you knew our Ann? well Mam has just passed away in Jan she was 93, she didn't do bad did she?

nelly-dean
01-03-2010, 00:52
Hey, long time eh? I thought i'd have a look in and see if any names I might remember were on the forum. Sorry to hear about your mom. She certainly lived a good old age. I'll be going to see mine tomorrow, shes now 86 and still going strong! They made em hardy up north i think lol. I hope alls well with you, and i'll drop by again soon. Take care..x

wackyjaki
01-03-2010, 14:42
Hey jaki, I was there during those years! I was in mr Burgins class in the 4th year in '67, or 4TC as it was called..All very posh lol I still remember a few names..especially the sheep, hawkins and the goat cilla. Bloody thing took a chunk out of my new bag!:D For anyone that may remember me, i'm Jean Roebuck and lived on milnrow rd till '79. Jeez what good memories i've got of my time on the "cross". Best place to grow up imo..:)

i knew a barbra roebuck she was in my class

KateT
28-07-2010, 10:15
I was in my 4th year in '67 and remember Jean Roebuck. Hope you are well Jean!

Texasbob
02-08-2010, 19:16
Colley School.

Anyone with any information on following old teachers and pupils ?

Jim Reid,John Seymour,Bob Carmody,Bob Bell
Lorraine Gill

BIG SPAN
01-10-2010, 14:19
I was at Colley in the 70s ,left in 75.
Anyone remember the trip to london to see king TUT , that was a real laugh.We got barred.

stagecoach
01-10-2010, 15:52
i went to colley and left in 1977

peter bush
19-10-2010, 16:56
Nelly Dean - did you have a brother called Tom Roebuck? I remember him from cyclo speedway days in the sixties.

Jayjayjan2
19-10-2010, 23:06
I lived at Holgate Road Parson's Cross born there in 1954 what a cold winter that was at number 32 my fathers sister Lilly lived at 34 Holgate Road. I'm a Taylor Lilly was a Roberts and lived there many years she worked for Bassets most of her working life. There was prefabs at the bottom of our road and some of my family lived there too at that time there was no bus service and i remember the first bus sign to be put up. My father worked on the trams for years and my uncle Jack lived on the top road but died young. We use to slide down the slopes on carboard boxes for fun then and walked miles to go helping ourselfs to apples out the fields. We were the first to have a phone and had many come to use it when they needed i do have family still live at parsons cross but not seen them in years. There was plenty of fields to walk then and parsons cross was lovely to live there and up near the shops my mums family the booths lived not been in touch since i was 10. For a while we lived so many houses up the road but moved futher down to be near Aunty Lilly both familys were large there was 6 of us and Lilly had 7 children in the end. Lilly was a lot older than dad so someone might remember her sons...Glynn...Terry...Stephen...David...Ivor...Ju ne and Gillian Roberts. Anyway its getting late and i have lived near Peterborough for about 40 years and never went back to sheffield but have really good memories of Parsons Cross.

KateT
20-10-2010, 08:10
I lived at Holgate Road Parson's Cross born there in 1954 what a cold winter that was at number 32 my fathers sister Lilly lived at 34 Holgate Road. I'm a Taylor Lilly was a Roberts and lived there many years she worked for Bassets most of her working life. There was prefabs at the bottom of our road and some of my family lived there too at that time there was no bus service and i remember the first bus sign to be put up. My father worked on the trams for years and my uncle Jack lived on the top road but died young. We use to slide down the slopes on carboard boxes for fun then and walked miles to go helping ourselfs to apples out the fields. We were the first to have a phone and had many come to use it when they needed i do have family still live at parsons cross but not seen them in years. There was plenty of fields to walk then and parsons cross was lovely to live there and up near the shops my mums family the booths lived not been in touch since i was 10. For a while we lived so many houses up the road but moved futher down to be near Aunty Lilly both familys were large there was 6 of us and Lilly had 7 children in the end. Lilly was a lot older than dad so someone might remember her sons...Glynn...Terry...Stephen...David...Ivor...Ju ne and Gillian Roberts. Anyway its getting late and i have lived near Peterborough for about 40 years and never went back to sheffield but have really good memories of Parsons Cross.

I probably know your family. We lived on Holgate Cres from 1958. In those days you knew everyone around. I remember you used to have to go up onto Wordsworth Ave to catch the bus. The first bus I'm sure was the 110 which turned around at Colley Cres - think it only went as far as Adlington Cres at first. It then changed to the number 10 then to the 79/89.

denlin
20-10-2010, 11:34
was anyone at colley around 64 67 i remember some names john gallivan anita dexster kath warren jacqueline pegg pat addams josie vincent my memorey int so good now they were all in my year love to know what became of them

you must have known my brother, Robert Theaker, and John Barraclough

KateT
20-10-2010, 12:39
you must have known my brother, Robert Theaker, and John Barraclough

Yes I did. John Barraclough was in my year at school. What are they up to these days. Didn't John marry someone connect to Alan Verneze?

KateT
20-10-2010, 12:40
Yes I did. John Barraclough was in my year at school. What are they up to these days. Didn't John marry someone connect to Alan Verneze?

PS I also new all the other people you mentioned - also in my year at school.

Jayjayjan2
20-10-2010, 13:00
Hi Kate,

When i lived in Holgate Road our family caused a bit of a stir we was in the daily papers has we were neglected and the police were looking for my mother she walked out one Saturday morning in 1959 and left 6 children ages 1..2..3..4...6...9 took a couple of years to find her. I went to the pre school and took my younger brother who was only 3 can you imagine young children doing that now my mother should have took us but i gather she stayed in bed and we was fed at the pre school. My sister Helen still lives in Sheffield she was on the manor for about 34 years and Jimmy lives in Birmingham my younger brother Richard moved to my village my. I have a brother Paul in lives in Boston my brother Micheal moved to Peterborough after living on norfolk park but died at 36. We all was taken to the childrens homes at Scholes near Holmfirth in the west ridings lots of ups and downs and we never really speak to each other sad really but i do miss sheffield at times. Castle market was still there last time i was there so its a long time ago and i know there as been a lot of devolopement and we did years later live at Stepney Buildings Duke street in the late 60,s. Gas place was right in our front you could smell fumes and if i'm right Thursdays was the night you could smell the hops every where. Then there was cadburys at the dwaf pickled onions and the old rope factory but that got burned down one night burned so fast . Well there is a daul carriage way there now i believe and i never did like Hyde Park i was there when the queen mother opened it but i was always scared to walk along the passage ways when my father moved there later.

AnnetteUK1
07-02-2011, 12:28
Hi there my names Annette and I am looking for old friends who might have gone to Monteney Junior School in 1956-1960, or colley secondary school in 60-64. Plse PM me if so. Thanks.

AnnetteUK1
07-02-2011, 12:35

Hi there I was there in the 60's My name is Annette, I have 2 brothers one called Paul and the other Roy our last name was Morton, Please get in touch Bartonk and let me know if we know each other. Thanks

KateT
07-02-2011, 12:41

Can't remember what year it was demolished but I do know that John Mellor, Geography teacher went on to Ecclesfield School

crossowl
14-05-2011, 19:12
Hi there I was there in the 60's My name is Annette, I have 2 brothers one called Paul and the other Roy our last name was Morton, Please get in touch Bartonk and let me know if we know each other. Thanks

Hi Annette, I was Roys best friend for many years as I was born on Rokeby Dr (44)

crossowl
14-05-2011, 19:16

I was in the same class as John Barraclough, he shot me in the back with an air rifle! gawd it hurt. I also knew Robert.

mh01
15-05-2011, 13:30
Can't remember what year it was demolished but I do know that John Mellor, Geography teacher went on to Ecclesfield Schooljohn mellors been retired a while now, still goes in the greyhound regularly

denlin
15-05-2011, 14:03

John married Joyce Wells in about 1972, they're still together and have two sons and grandchildren. Not sure if Joyce is related to Alan Verneze. John and our Robert are still best mates as they were when they were children.

KateT
15-05-2011, 17:06
john mellors been retired a while now, still goes in the greyhound regularly

My brother Tony Camm goes in the Greyhound and see John Mellor regularly.

Justpassin
13-07-2011, 16:59
Hi just found this site. I left school in 1977. OMG yonks ago. Anyone else on here that left the get in touch. Tina foster, Jayne warburton, Karen price,Jasmine peacock, Irene slinn,Marcia white Julie smith. Thing is all the girls get married and iits hard to find them on facebook has their surname is different.

Thanks Beth

TEDMUNKS
18-07-2011, 19:04
I left Colley School at Easter 1961 and went to work as an apprentice at Sanderson Bros & Newbould in Attercliffe. I lived in Holgate Road from 1948 until 1968, first at No. 102 then at No. 84. I and my family have lived in South Africa since April 1975, with brief visits back to England to see family. If anyone remembers me or my Sister Barbara please post a reply.

US Male
30-07-2011, 16:29
i was at Colley between 70 and 75 glad to get outta the place but wanted back less than 6 months later..... the word TAX on my payslip made me wanna go back to school :)
anyone remember me? Paul Timmins, knocked around with the Bellamys, Gaz Gawes, Phil Baker, Alan Burley etc...... although i was the quiet guy amongst them! Loved my cold toast in the breaks with Graham Taylor and head tennis using the crossbars to score, happy dayz... definately! Hi to all who knew me..... sadly some will have passed on i would have thought by now!?

KateT
31-07-2011, 14:38
i was at Colley between 70 and 75 glad to get outta the place but wanted back less than 6 months later..... the word TAX on my payslip made me wanna go back to school :)
anyone remember me? Paul Timmins, knocked around with the Bellamys, Gaz Gawes, Phil Baker, Alan Burley etc...... although i was the quiet guy amongst them! Loved my cold toast in the breaks with Graham Taylor and head tennis using the crossbars to score, happy dayz... definately! Hi to all who knew me..... sadly some will have passed on i would have thought by now!?

Have you got a sister called Andrea - went to Monteney and then Ecclesfield?

US Male
31-07-2011, 19:30
No my sister was Julie Timmins, we both went to Monteney infants and juniors then Colley!

Ashbrook
10-08-2011, 11:54
Re: ...what became of the staff?
Mr. Wright, who was at Colley for many years (PE, history, library, careers advice), is going strong at 86 and regularly drives up from Norfolk to see family and friends. He's still in touch with some of the kids from the 50's!

KateT
10-08-2011, 14:49
Re: ...what became of the staff?
Mr. Wright, who was at Colley for many years (PE, history, library, careers advice), is going strong at 86 and regularly drives up from Norfolk to see family and friends. He's still in touch with some of the kids from the 50's!

My God - I remember Mr Wright, he used teach me history, which we had in the library! 40 + years ago!! Glad to hear he is still around.

ann55
21-08-2011, 12:26
i went to colley left in 1971 , remember mr wright , the 2 olles , one taught sience the other re, was in mr burgins class 4tc , miss salvete she taught english ,and remember tim who used to help in the sience room

KateT
21-08-2011, 18:00
i went to colley left in 1971 , remember mr wright , the 2 olles , one taught sience the other re, was in mr burgins class 4tc , miss salvete she taught english ,and remember tim who used to help in the sience room

I remember Tim - Timothy Street I think his name was. I think he was an ex pupil.

ann55
22-08-2011, 11:55
yes.. he was he also lived near us wonder what happened to him

KateT
22-08-2011, 12:07
yes.. he was he also lived near us wonder what happened to him

Would like to know...along with a lot of others. I'm not even sure when he left Colley.

rosie
27-11-2011, 20:12
I wish there would be a reunion for ex students whom left 1980 as I moved to the other side of town and never see anyone now.

mh01
27-11-2011, 21:06
I wish there would be a reunion for ex students whom left 1980 as I moved to the other side of town and never see anyone now.there was a small reunion in june attended by some who left in 80, the majority who attended left between 81-85

diane00058
28-11-2011, 20:48
Does anyone remember Mr Mason- Room 1 colley Comp? I was in his classroom for 2 years just for register and he took science eg dissecting frogs and things UGG! his classroom were full of little animals and really stank!! I remember the Ram in the play ground was always chasing me around and butting, I was there 1969-1974 in class 1-0 to 5-0

Mapman
28-11-2011, 22:58
I was at Monteney and Colley, left Colley 1964 as 16 yr old. Mr Birch, head. Mr Shaw Dep head & art, Messrs Wright, Holding, Brightmore, Ibbotson, Gibbs 2 Ollies . Didn't Mr Burgin (maths) have fatal accident?. Also Miss Piper, Miss Cooper, Mrs Salveta, I lived in Rokeby Drive (44)

diane00058
29-11-2011, 10:01
I was at Monteney and Colley, left Colley 1964 as 16 yr old. Mr Birch, head. Mr Shaw Dep head & art, Messrs Wright, Holding, Brightmore, Ibbotson, Gibbs 2 Ollies . Didn't Mr Burgin (maths) have fatal accident?. Also Miss Piper, Miss Cooper, Mrs Salveta, I lived in Rokeby Drive (44)

Yes Mr Burgin took me for maths, he drowned whilst on holiday, I remember it was a shock to everyone, can't remember the year, it may have been 72-73.

Texasbob
30-11-2011, 16:47
Does anyone remember and know whereabouts of the follwing teachers ?
Bob Carmody
Geoff Evans
Jim Reid
John Seymour
Sandra Foster
Bob Bell

nelly-dean
30-11-2011, 19:32

Mr Burgins was my form teacher, 4TC..He was a lovely man and a great teacher, was so sorry to hear he'd died..And mrs Salveta was my English teacher and a great inspiration, no-one could recite a poem and bring it to life like she could..:)

rosie
07-12-2011, 22:05
mh01, I didn't know there had been a reunion this year,what a shame I missed it.

KateT
08-12-2011, 09:44
Mr Burgins was my form teacher, 4TC..He was a lovely man and a great teacher, was so sorry to hear he'd died..And mrs Salveta was my English teacher and a great inspiration, no-one could recite a poem and bring it to life like she could..:)

I think Mr Burgin drowned whilst on holiday in Spain..that's what I heard years ago. I agree about Mrs Salveta and poems. I can still remember the words of 'From a Railway Carriage' which she used to do and wasn't she always talking about her son? Happy days!

Margaret5516
03-01-2012, 12:55
No my sister was Julie Timmins, we both went to Monteney infants and juniors then Colley!

Say hello to Julie for me. My name was Jacqueline Baker - hope she remmbers me!

KateT
03-01-2012, 13:18

What years? I was at Monteney between 1959-1963 and Colley 1963-67.

hillc4
03-01-2012, 19:50
hello

l live in parson cross and in a history group
would love to here from people who used to live here and have storys about the way parson cross was

hi there i live on the cross, across the road from the old school. My cousin went to colley but i went to yewlands but i have fond memories of doing sports against colley, on their field, its changed a lot round here now not at all like it used to be

bowler123
04-01-2012, 19:16
I was at Colley Road School till 1955 (a very long time ago!) but having just read about a Mr Birch I am sure that he was the headteacher when I was there. Also, I think Mr. Ibbotson was the choir teacher (it was good to be in the choir - quite a lot of lessons missed because of choir practice). Is there anyone else who was at Colley School before 1955?

TEDMUNKS
04-01-2012, 20:09
I went to Lindsay Road School with Glynn Roberts and Roger Wills before going to Colley. I left Colley in 1960 and there do not seem to be many of my contemporaries posting to this website.

Waypher
04-03-2012, 19:02
Does anyone remember and know whereabouts of the follwing teachers ?
Bob Carmody
Geoff Evans
Jim Reid
John Seymour
Sandra Foster
Bob Bell

I attended Colley Comp from 71 to 78....genuinely happy days.
During my adult life I ended up living in Fulwood and my son went to Tapton school.
Imagine my surprise when I bumped into Mr Carmody at a parent's evening!
I believe he's still there....but on the more affluent westside of town he's known as Robert !:)

phoppy1
04-03-2012, 21:32
Hi everybody Monteney 56 to colley 67, I was known as hoppy and can reel loads of names off and remember the teachers good and not so good, but i can't remember what i just went upstairs for! but thats an age thing.
Regarding the sheep and goat (hawkins & pricilla) I saw the guy who was assigned to look after them last week his name was Tony. It is great to look back and remember what we had but didn't realise.:loopy::loopy:

KateT
05-03-2012, 13:55
Hi everybody Monteney 56 to colley 67, I was known as hoppy and can reel loads of names off and remember the teachers good and not so good, but i can't remember what i just went upstairs for! but thats an age thing.
Regarding the sheep and goat (hawkins & pricilla) I saw the guy who was assigned to look after them last week his name was Tony. It is great to look back and remember what we had but didn't realise.:loopy::loopy:

I was at Monteney and Colley same years - glad your memory's still in tact Pete!

georgeb
05-03-2012, 14:42
Hi I left Colley Road school in 52 just after Yew Lane was built as an anex,
I lived in Dugdale Road not far to go to ether school loved the Friday lunchtime
dance club was in Mrs Buchanan`s class

diane00058
06-03-2012, 13:15
I attended Colley Comp from 71 to 78....genuinely happy days.
During my adult life I ended up living in Fulwood and my son went to Tapton school.
Imagine my surprise when I bumped into Mr Carmody at a parent's evening!
I believe he's still there....but on the more affluent westside of town he's known as Robert !:)I went to Colley Comp '69-74 I remember Mr Carmody tho' can't remember what subject he took us on.. I remember feeling sorry for him during lessons as he was given a hard time by some of the class epecially those sitting at the back, he was always red faced trying to control them and we never got round to learning anything as time ran out. I can even remember fights breaking out with him and some sent to Mr Birch but nothing was ever solved.

Sigismund
07-03-2012, 22:58
I was @ Colley until 55. Mr Birch ,the head. Ibbo.Mr. Wright. Mr Mellor Miss Hardy(?) So you are not on your own. Any body else out there from this era?

tigerman
07-03-2012, 23:17
I was @ Colley until 55. Mr Birch ,the head. Ibbo.Mr. Wright. Mr Mellor Miss Hardy(?) So you are not on your own. Any body else out there from this era?i was there and i remember all thode you have said and i was in the same class as the tony who looked after hawkins the sheep.

Sigismund
08-03-2012, 12:39
I am a Tony but I do not rember looking after a sheep called Hawkins.

tigerman
08-03-2012, 19:41
I am a Tony but I do not rember looking after a sheep called Hawkins.iam also a tony and i didnt look after the sheep.

Sigismund
08-03-2012, 21:21
Who did then? Will the real Tony please stand up!
Which form were you in?

Joto
08-03-2012, 22:08
Hubby left Colley school in '57 he wants to know who was the maths teacher then. I'll not tell you what he said he was but lets just say he didn't have a father. :hihi:
He's called Tony too, but he can't even remember a sheep.

Mapman
09-03-2012, 10:16
I'm sure the sheep were introduced by Mr Mason in the early 60's, and didn't think they were there in '55. Mr Mason also started? a gardening class. I started at Colly in 1959, the 2 maths teachers at that time were Mr Burgin and Mr Frank Brightmore, Percy to his friends. I recollect that he had been in the RAF during the war, possibly as a navigator.

Sigismund
09-03-2012, 11:06
When I was at Colley, I left in '55, I think is was a Mr. Brightmore, I could be wrong.

Joto
09-03-2012, 14:02
Thanks for your reply's, Tony thinks it was Mr Burgin, and he said are you sure he wasn't a interrogator during the war? :hihi:

TEDMUNKS
09-03-2012, 18:37
Frank Brightmore Was a navigator in a DH Mosquito During the war. Does anyone remember his contemporaries, Miss Hudson (English), Mr Thompson (English) ,Mr Weatherall (French)and Mr Wilton (Lord Knows What).

bowler123
09-03-2012, 19:16
I was @ Colley until 55. Mr Birch ,the head. Ibbo.Mr. Wright. Mr Mellor Miss Hardy(?) So you are not on your own. Any body else out there from this era?

Hi - I left Colley School in 1955. I do remember Mr Ibbotson who also took the choir. A great way to get out of lessons! I lived on Holgate Crescent till I married in 1962. I do remember a few names from my class, Myra Luscombe, Kenneth Smith, Douglas Ball, Valerie Moorhouse.

tigerman
09-03-2012, 23:35
Who did then? Will the real Tony please stand up!
Which form were you in?4/4 like tony marshall who looked after the sheep.

Mapman
10-03-2012, 21:39
I also remember Mr Wetherall (French), Mr Holding (English) Mr Shaw (Art), but also remember Mr Jackson, (Geography). I think Mr Jackson had been a POW of the Japanese, but could be wrong. He was very uptight and nervous, but the bullying he took from certain pupils didn't help him. I wish I had the bottle then to help him.

melvint
14-03-2012, 19:27
Hi just found this site. I left school in 1977. OMG yonks ago. Anyone else on here that left the get in touch. Tina foster, Jayne warburton, Karen price,Jasmine peacock, Irene slinn,Marcia white Julie smith. Thing is all the girls get married and iits hard to find them on facebook has their surname is different.

Thanks Beth

hi beth

jasmine peacock is my mother,whats your second name and i will pass it on for her to reply,strange as we was only talking about colley school and her old school friends last weekend!

joan1l
15-03-2012, 17:18
My kids went to colley, the Longstones.

MickDn
02-04-2012, 22:28
We came to live on Parson Cross in 1949 and I went to Monteney infants then to Monteney juniors then on to Colley 1957 leaving in 1961 and have many happy memories of those days, of course there have been many changes in Parson Cross and in Ecclesfield since then although I believe it's still a good place to live. It's always nice to meet old friends or just to discuss those happy days at the old schools when life moved at a much slower pace.

wobber
16-04-2012, 21:28
I was in colley from 81 to 86 i had great memories of the place although paul dolby the pe teacher was a git all the other teachers were great my fave being mrs baker

MickDn
20-04-2012, 17:54
:)some of the teachers I remember are Head, Mr Birch, Mr Shaw, Miss Coulson,Mr Scowcroft,Mr Crowe,Miss Lester,Miss Crapper,Mrs Bradshaw,Miss Cooper,Mr Hudson,Mr Copley,both Ollerenshaws,Miss Salveta,Miss Piper,Mr Ibbotson,Mr Wright,Mr Brightmoor,Mr Burgin,Mr Mott,Mrs Moore,Miss Hudson,Miss Mellor,

Jonesey
20-04-2012, 19:06
Miss Lester became Mrs. Crowe; there was a Mr. Mellor don't know about Miss Mellor; Miss Innocent (girls PE) married about '65?; Mr. Copley followed by Mr. Neal followed by Mr. Seymour (boys PE); Mr. Jackson (geography) as said before was very highly stressed and left sometime around '63; Mr. Schofield (metalwork):
Pupils about this time - Roy & Glen Thomas; Chris Yellops; Keith Newton; Glen Parrot; John Foster; Colin Gregory; Tony Reith; Mick Naylor; Louis Thorpe; Stuart Barton; David Holroyd; Chris Holton; Susan Gilbertson; Jean Flint; Hazel Marsden and many more too numerous for these pages.

mr_blue_owl
21-04-2012, 06:24
Miss Lester became Mrs. Crowe; there was a Mr. Mellor don't know about Miss Mellor; Miss Innocent (girls PE) married about '65?; Mr. Copley followed by Mr. Neal followed by Mr. Seymour (boys PE); Mr. Jackson (geography) as said before was very highly stressed and left sometime around '63; Mr. Schofield (metalwork):
Pupils about this time - Roy & Glen Thomas; Chris Yellops; Keith Newton; Glen Parrot; John Foster; Colin Gregory; Tony Reith; Mick Naylor; Louis Thorpe; Stuart Barton; David Holroyd; Chris Holton; Susan Gilbertson; Jean Flint; Hazel Marsden and many more too numerous for these pages.

I went to Ecco but recognise a lot of the names on your list -Colin Gregory, Tony Reith, Jean Flint
Susan Gilbertson I knew very well as I used to knock around with her brother John

NC OWL
20-08-2012, 12:06

I remember you Paul, and Alan Burley, etc. I also used to hang out with Steve Gaffney and a few of his "gang". My name is Ian Riches and I went to Colley from 70-75. Lived at 49 Rokeby Drive until I left school in April 75, when my Mum died. I joined the Navy and also lived in Skegness for a few years, but I live in North Carolina now.

KateT
21-08-2012, 08:52

I remember all these names (pupils and teachers). I lived on Holgate Cres and went to Colley 1963-1967. Happy days!!

TEDMUNKS
23-08-2012, 18:06
:)some of the teachers I remember are Head, Mr Birch, Mr Shaw, Miss Coulson,Mr Scowcroft,Mr Crowe,Miss Lester,Miss Crapper,Mrs Bradshaw,Miss Cooper,Mr Hudson,Mr Copley,both Ollerenshaws,Miss Salveta,Miss Piper,Mr Ibbotson,Mr Wright,Mr Brightmoor,Mr Burgin,Mr Mott,Mrs Moore,Miss Hudson,Miss Mellor,

We must know each other! I was at Colley during the same period as you and remember most of the Teachers you mention. We must have many friends / acquaintances in common. I left "The Cross" in 1968 when I got married, but am still in touch with some old school friends.

Regards,

Ted Munks.

margey
25-08-2012, 13:27

i also remember all those teachers i left in 1960.great school

NickPea1
27-09-2012, 15:57
My aunt was Jasmine Peacock, I think she went to Colley School, as did my aunt Morag!

Joto
27-09-2012, 21:43
My aunt was Jasmine Peacock, I think she went to Colley School, as did my aunt Morag!

Your Aunts when growing up lived next door but one to my hubby and family. :)

MickDn
01-10-2012, 19:36
We must know each other! I was at Colley during the same period as you and remember most of the Teachers you mention. We must have many friends / acquaintances in common. I left "The Cross" in 1968 when I got married, but am still in touch with some old school friends.

Regards,

Ted Munks.
Did you know Eric Waters Ted?

MickDn
05-10-2012, 17:40
I left in 1961 they were indeed happy days

bandog
06-10-2012, 08:22
My kids went to colley, the Longstones.

Hi Joan...I remember a Paul Longstone ? Used to knock around with him at school....

shirleybelle
08-10-2012, 13:20
I left Colley School at Easter 1961 and went to work as an apprentice at Sanderson Bros & Newbould in Attercliffe. I lived in Holgate Road from 1948 until 1968, first at No. 102 then at No. 84. I and my family have lived in South Africa since April 1975, with brief visits back to England to see family. If anyone remembers me or my Sister Barbara please post a reply.

hi i am shirley one of mullins family we lived on corner of holgate cres at the juction, i was born 1949 and i am sure i knew your family i remember barbras name, i think you would know my brother raymond and everyone knew our peter

MickDn
10-10-2012, 16:20
My brother John mentioned your Pete the other day he thought he'd seen him one night in the Travellers at Thorpe Hesley

shirleybelle
11-10-2012, 07:43
My brother John mentioned your Pete the other day he thought he'd seen him one night in the Travellers at Thorpe Hesley

Not sure if he goes in there but possible, he lives at foxhill.He used to go in wadsley bridge working man's club and pubs at wadsley bridge, but a lot of them closed now.I dont see him much except for family get togethers as we live on coast.

phoppy1
11-10-2012, 20:54
I was with Pete at the dogs a couple of weeks ago and I see him at work a few times

Miss Dior
21-09-2013, 19:36

I remember you and your sister Julie, she was in my class at Colley comp. Hope u are both ok . Marcia Whyte as Iwas then.

diane00058
29-09-2013, 18:35
Hi, another trip down memory lane. I first posted on this thread a while ago.

Marcia, I'm sure I knew you, did you live on Rokeby Road/Drive and go to St Pauls church? I also knew Julie Simpson, who also lived on the same road. You two were my closest friends when I was at Monteny Junior. I went to Colley Comp, and left in 1973 early, I should have left in 1974. I was Diane Elliott back then.

denlin
29-09-2013, 19:27
Do you realise that this thread has been going for over 10 years and that 3 of the pupils mentioned have just had their 60th birthdays and one of those birthdays was on the date the thread started 14th Sept

billalleniyp
02-10-2013, 21:05
I lived on Milnrow Road in 1947. Went to Lound till 1949 then to Colley for two years, then to Barnsley Technical School; left 1955. Worked at ESC till 1966 then went to Leeds where I still am. Recently widowed. Am now 75

shellbelle
02-10-2013, 21:22
My aunty and uncle live on Milnrow. My uncle lived on Holgate Crescent originally Raymond Parker, siblings by the names of Jean, twins Christine and David and Sharon? Raymond is now circa 73-74 and Jean 72 this year!

billalleniyp
03-10-2013, 13:29
thanks for your info.
Sorry I don't know any of the names.
I lived at number 30

Joto
03-10-2013, 17:34
thanks for your info.
Sorry I don't know any of the names.
I lived at number 30

Welcome to the forum Bill, I too grew up on Milnrow Rd No 25, I think my eldest sister was a friend of your sister's. Was her name Gloria? I'm one of the Theaker's, the corner house with the Garage. :)

billalleniyp
03-10-2013, 19:54
Hi Joto, thanks for the welcome.
Yes my sister is Gloria: she is now 73 and in good health.
Sorry but I am having trouble with "the corner house with the garage".
Some of the names I remember from the other side of our road are:
South, Pegg, Czechgaret(approximately), Lindley, then on the Drive were brother and sister Val and Bruce then Atkins who had a garage which I rented from them in the late fifties.(Let me know if I am getting warm)
I can name most of the people from the other side of the road if you ever need to know.

Joto
03-10-2013, 20:06
We adjoined Atkin's, only they were on the drive. Then came Ellis's, Jackson's, Leach's, then another Atkin's. My sister Muriel was the same age as Gloria but sadly she died from cancer just after her 70th birthday. All I remember about you is you were in the army, and did you ride a motorbike?

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 20:10 ----------

Sorry I went off topic, I wonder why you went to Colley school, at our house we went to Yew Lane. Actually Colley was much nearer, I wonder how they decide.

JesseJanes
22-01-2014, 14:25

You would have lived next door to the Woodhouse's I think. I lived opposite them at 21 Holgate Road born in 51 and remember Glynn Terry & June Roberts. Around us on the road were Callaghans, Barkers, McCleans, Stanborough's, Gibsons, Morton's, Haywood's, Onions, Horner etc. Good days. We used to go on the fields behind you between Deerlands Avenue for fun, and yes scrumping apples way down the other end of Holgate Road.

sweetdexter
22-01-2014, 16:03
I lived on Milnrow Road in 1947. Went to Lound till 1949 then to Colley for two years, then to Barnsley Technical School; left 1955. Worked at ESC till 1966 then went to Leeds where I still am. Recently widowed. Am now 75

Hi Bill I have sent you a PM

billalleniyp
22-01-2014, 21:01
I was at Colley Road School till 1955 (a very long time ago!) but having just read about a Mr Birch I am sure that he was the headteacher when I was there. Also, I think Mr. Ibbotson was the choir teacher (it was good to be in the choir - quite a lot of lessons missed because of choir practice). Is there anyone else who was at Colley School before 1955?

I was at Colley from 1950 to 1952, having previously been at Lound. I then went to Barnsley Tech. I remember Mr. Birch, headmaster, Mr. Shaw, deputy head (he was the first person I had ever met who was ambidextrous) He was in charge of the school trip, by train, to London to see the Festival of Britain in 1951. Mr. Ibbotson taught music, Mr. Ollerearnshaw, science, Mr. Thomoson, football, Mr. Mellor, maths. I can't remember all the others but I remember my form teacher, who was the girl's gym teacher and was always in just skin tight leggings and a skin tight top. I don't know why I would remember her.

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 15:53 ----------

We adjoined Atkin's, only they were on the drive. Then came Ellis's, Jackson's, Leach's, then another Atkin's. My sister Muriel was the same age as Gloria but sadly she died from cancer just after her 70th birthday. All I remember about you is you were in the army, and did you ride a motorbike?

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 20:10 ----------

Sorry I went off topic, I wonder why you went to Colley school, at our house we went to Yew Lane. Actually Colley was much nearer, I wonder how they decide.

Hi Joto,
I went to Colley because Yew Lane wasn't open at that time, so I presume that you are younger than me. Gloria, who is two years younger than me, and Christine, my sister who is 8 years younger than me,both went to Yew Lane.
I have remembered that the brother and sister who lived at the other side of the Atkins, were called Scott, their mother was Mary.
I don't remember anyone beyond your house except Derek Crapper, and the fact that we had a policeman living a little further on.

Sorry to shatter your recollections, but I never did go in the army; because I was still studying, I was deferred from doing National Service, which was abolished before I finished my studies. I never had a motorbike either.

Bill

Daveg0cgs
23-02-2014, 15:02
hi i am shirley one of mullins family we lived on corner of holgate cres at the juction, i was born 1949 and i am sure i knew your family i remember barbras name, i think you would know my brother raymond and everyone knew our peter

Hi, I remember Ray & who could forget Peter complete with the Sanderson twins, I lived @ 75 Holgate Rd, the Hollises one side & i believe it was the Luffs on the otherside, rough old days but good ones.

shellbelle
23-02-2014, 15:08
Do you remember the Parker's on Holgate Cres? There was Raymond, Jean, twins David and Christine and Sharon they lived at number 76?

Daveg0cgs
23-02-2014, 16:14
Do you remember the Parker's on Holgate Cres? There was Raymond, Jean, twins David and Christine and Sharon they lived at number 76?

What year, I left 1964/5 to join HM Forces, The name parker rings a bell but can't place the first names.

shellbelle
23-02-2014, 16:57
They were one of the first families to move onto the street. Gladys and Raymond Parker, lived there 50 plus years

okismoki
25-02-2014, 18:40
My aunty and uncle live on Milnrow. My uncle lived on Holgate Crescent originally Raymond Parker, siblings by the names of Jean, twins Christine and David and Sharon? Raymond is now circa 73-74 and Jean 72 this year!I was your grans home help in the 90`s.

Hemibr
26-02-2014, 17:01
If any of you bump into John Mellor assuming he is still with us then badger him into writing the story of George MBele and Liz Birkby - its a story that needs to be told and should not be allowed to die with the cast.

Bartonk
24-03-2014, 15:08
Amazing to see how this thread has gone over the years. I started it so long ago that I had totally forgotten about it and just today stumbled upon the thing. Nice to see so many happy recollections of the place and that people have reconnected. I finally tracked down some old friends too, Lynne Eames, who,lives on the Isle of Wight, Barbara Cotton who lives inWales and Jean Percival who still lives In Sheffield. They were my best friends through school. The only one I have not been able to track is Maxine Betts, if anyone knows her (that's her maiden name and she lived on Monteney Road and had a brother called Paul). Would love to hear from her too. We had some great times at Colley and I have many happy (and not so happy) memories. Kath

---------- Post added 30-03-2014 at 19:24 ----------

If any of you bump into John Mellor assuming he is still with us then badger him into writing the story of George MBele and Liz Birkby - its a story that needs to be told and should not be allowed to die with the cast.

You've got my curiosity going....what did happen. I heard mr. Mbele was killed but what happened to mrs birkby?

crossowl
03-04-2014, 18:23
I remember you Paul, and Alan Burley, etc. I also used to hang out with Steve Gaffney and a few of his "gang". My name is Ian Riches and I went to Colley from 70-75. Lived at 49 Rokeby Drive until I left school in April 75, when my Mum died. I joined the Navy and also lived in Skegness for a few years, but I live in North Carolina now.

Hi Ian, I lived at 44 Rokeby Drive (opposite the Jennel) till I got married in 1975.
I knew Steven Gaffney very well from when he was very young and was a terrific footballer. I was born in the living room in 1952 and knew practically everyone around there, I also know Alan Burley but not from the school - through fishing!

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 19:34 ----------

Hi Wackyjaki I was at Colley from 63 to 67 and know all those people you mention. Mr Mason was our form teacher in my final year. I loved the school and most of Parson Cross.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 19:37 ----------

I remember all these names (pupils and teachers). I lived on Holgate Cres and went to Colley 1963-1967. Happy days!!

Hi Kate I also was at Colley at the same time as you, and lived on Rokeby Drive, I know most of the names from one of your previous posts.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 19:42 ----------

Hi Pete, I remember you well as I started at Monteney in 56 leaving Colley in 67.
You also went to Colley club on Remington Road if memory serves me well.:)

Carmen.
09-07-2014, 19:33
Hello. I married Alan Wildgoose.
I feel sure his old school is mentioned. Anyone?

---------- Post added 09-07-2014 at 20:34 ----------

He lived on Milnrow Crescent.

phoppy1
09-07-2014, 20:04
Hi crossowl sorry for the delay in responding but I've not been on Expats for a while , I am still in touch with Barbra Biggin and Kathlene Camm (as was) via another social media site. Yes I did go to Colley youth club and also Meynell club but ironically because I was one of the oldest of my club mates I could go to the Wordsworth Tavern or White Horse for a pint or three before going playing ping pong ( ha ha )
Ps can you give me a clue who Crossowl is

KateT
09-07-2014, 20:21
Hi crossowl sorry for the delay in responding but I've not been on Expats for a while , I am still in touch with Barbra Biggin and Kathlene Camm (as was) via another social media site. Yes I did go to Colley youth club and also Meynell club but ironically because I was one of the oldest of my club mates I could go to the Wordsworth Tavern or White Horse for a pint or three before going playing ping pong ( ha ha )
Ps can you give me a clue who Crossowl is

Hi Pete - I've not been on here for ages either. Would like a clue to Crossowl too. Great to reminisce & see names from years ago.

phoppy1
09-07-2014, 20:49
Hi Kate, hope alls well Val is very well and enjoying life to the full. We were in Whitby at the weekend for the Northern Soul extravaganza and there were people older than me busting a few moves. We were in malta 3weeks ago to meet up with our daughter and son in law (who live in Dubai )

KateT
09-07-2014, 21:14
Hi Kate, hope alls well Val is very well and enjoying life to the full. We were in Whitby at the weekend for the Northern Soul extravaganza and there were people older than me busting a few moves. We were in malta 3weeks ago to meet up with our daughter and son in law (who live in Dubai )

Sounds great Weekend Pete. Malta to meet family? Brilliant! Glad all well with Val, give her my love. I went to France in June, first time without Mick, lots of memories. Am going up to North Yorkshire with a friend for a week later this month. You take care x

phoppy1
09-07-2014, 21:58
Hope you enjoy north yorks we love it which part are you going

KateT
09-07-2014, 22:05
Hope you enjoy north yorks we love it which part are you going

Staying just outside Masham. Going to see a friend who owns Chapel Gallery in Hawes whilst up there. I love it too!

crossowl
11-07-2014, 19:39
Ps can you give me a clue who Crossowl isHi Pete, My name is Alan, 5 - 5" black hair, slim, Fast runner (As was). Kath Camm was a lovely quiet girl as I remember her with long blonde hair, and quite tall and slim. ( Everybody was tall compared to me). Her brother Steve was a good lad too ( apart from being a blade) ha ha! I remmber Barbara Biggin too. Have you guessed who I am yet?:hihi:

KateT
11-07-2014, 20:38
Hi Pete, My name is Alan, 5 - 5" black hair, slim, Fast runner (As was). Kath Camm was a lovely quiet girl as I remember her with long blonde hair, and quite tall and slim. ( Everybody was tall compared to me). Her brother Steve was a good lad too ( apart from being a blade) ha ha! I remmber Barbara Biggin too. Have you guessed who I am yet?:hihi:

Hi Crossowl. I'm going to take a guess..are you Alan Vanezzi? I'm not sure I was that quiet (at least not out of school) & my brothers name is Tony Camm but you're right about the rest! Wish I was that slim now!!
If I'm wrong, see if Pete can guess!

crossowl
11-07-2014, 20:59
Hi Crossowl. I'm going to take a guess..are you Alan Vanezzi? I'm not sure I was that quiet (at least not out of school) & my brothers name is Tony Camm but you're right about the rest! Wish I was that slim now!!
If I'm wrong, see if Pete can guess!Hi Kate, I saw Alan Vanezzi last year in Hillsborough but he was and still is a lot taller than me. Oh yes Tony Camm, how is he is and he still watching the Blades? Pete might remember my Green and Gold Lambretta LI 150 Scooter with loads of mirrors and backrest/headrest. I sometimes knocked about with Pete Callinswood who had a Vespa Sportique Scooter. I was in form 4/2 in my final year at school.( Pete was brighter than me)!!
Any nearer?:|

phoppy1
11-07-2014, 21:31
Crossowl if you are referring to me being brighter than you I can't be that good or your identity would spring to mind, plus the only people I knew that could run fast were running from PC Plod ! If you said Ginger and couldn't run I would guess Alan Ashmore, or Alan Radford but neither had popcorn machines ( scooters) ha ha :confused::huh:
Ps are you staying secret because you owe me a pint from when we went in the Wordsworth Tavern ?

KateT
11-07-2014, 22:41
Hi Kate, I saw Alan Vanezzi last year in Hillsborough but he was and still is a lot taller than me. Oh yes Tony Camm, how is he is and he still watching the Blades? Pete might remember my Green and Gold Lambretta LI 150 Scooter with loads of mirrors and backrest/headrest. I sometimes knocked about with Pete Callinswood who had a Vespa Sportique Scooter. I was in form 4/2 in my final year at school.( Pete was brighter than me)!!
Any nearer?:|

Our Tony is fine, still a blade & always going fishing.
Pete Callinswood was in my class along with Pete, 41A, the bright ones!! Or maybe just bluffed our way through!
You've really got me now....Alan Stacey maybe?

phoppy1
13-07-2014, 13:38
Yes Kate my money is also on Alan Stacey

WallBuilder
13-07-2014, 17:27
Looks as though there are quite a few people who have contributed to this thread who lived near to the Wordsworth tavern so I thought I'd ask a question. Does anyone remember a guy possibly part chinese called Eddie and what became of him, I'm just being curious as I knew him and the Atkin sisters one of which was his girlfriend for a time

KateT
13-07-2014, 17:39
Looks as though there are quite a few people who have contributed to this thread who lived near to the Wordsworth tavern so I thought I'd ask a question. Does anyone remember a guy possibly part chinese called Eddie and what became of him, I'm just being curious as I knew him and the Atkin sisters one of which was his girlfriend for a time

We're the Atkin sisters twins?

---------- Post added 13-07-2014 at 18:40 ----------

Can't think of anyone else Pete!

WallBuilder
13-07-2014, 17:47
The Atkin sisters that I knew were Julie the eldest and Marie the youngest with one in the middle Vivian I think, Eddie rode a motorcycle and nearly always had a dark blue motorcycle leather on

crossowl
13-07-2014, 23:02

Correct ! I am Alan stacey and it's good to get back in touch with you guys.
It's midnight now but I will post some more later. TC

KateT
14-07-2014, 06:55
Correct ! I am Alan stacey and it's good to get back in touch with you guys.
It's midnight now but I will post some more later. TC

Good guess! Good to hear from you.