Disability living allowance - can i study while claiming

:huh:hello fellow rejects..i claim incapacity benefit-disability living allowance and have done for 4 years.i have a severe spinal problem(i.e made out of jelly) but in november under went my 6 operation to find in january i feel quite good. now let me explain quite good,quite good is taking one and half hours to get out of bed in the morning(after talking copius amounts of medication)instead of maybe getting out at dinner time.also quite good is not taking as much medication(could i be on the road to full recovery?).also quite good..... well you understand,one day you can walk for the paper the next day you can't walk at all.well im finding i can walk for the paper most days..things are looking up. my illness is that ill always be affected....but.

being a professional man i.e i have good qualifications and held a good job untill said illness decided to rear its ugly head.i would like to try and do some studying. can i do this while on benefits?

have been to goverment sites and it all sounds a bit scary,ie if you can wipe your own arse your benefit will be affected.is there any of you doing this now? and can advise.

DLA is not means tested. you can recieve DLA even if you are in work.

Incapacity benefit is a bit different. You will need to ask someone from your local CAB about how study will affect your claim for IB. They will be best placed to advise you about that.

You are allowed some activity if it can be thought therapeutic and not likely to slow down your recovery. It depends whether you need funding. Open University is the best way to study as they do many different courses of different lengths and it is easier to pace yourself and of course you study at home. They do a lot of courses for professionals who need to update their knowledge. They may even be able to help with funding. Why don't you contact OU as they are used to helping similar students.

:huh:hello fellow rejects..i claim incapacity benefit-disability living allowance and have done for 4 years.i have a severe spinal problem(i.e made out of jelly) but in november under went my 6 operation to find in january i feel quite good. now let me explain quite good,quite good is taking one and half hours to get out of bed in the morning(after talking copius amounts of medication)instead of maybe getting out at dinner time.also quite good is not taking as much medication(could i be on the road to full recovery?).also quite good..... well you understand,one day you can walk for the paper the next day you can't walk at all.well im finding i can walk for the paper most days..things are looking up. my illness is that ill always be affected....but.

being a professional man i.e i have good qualifications and held a good job untill said illness decided to rear its ugly head.i would like to try and do some studying. can i do this while on benefits?

have been to goverment sites and it all sounds a bit scary,ie if you can wipe your own arse your benefit will be affected.is there any of you doing this now? and can advise.

Hi Arney,

I'm currently on d.l.a and I'm studying English ON LINE with Castle College. The courses are limited but worth a try, I'm virtually housebound, so this option was perfect,

hope that helps,

Lisa :hihi:

Hi

My son is also on the on-line course and receives DLA, like lisa says if your housebound its perfect.

Jo:hihi: