View Full Version : Worst Christmas present

***Boss***
26-12-2007, 22:03
Hi
1. What is your worst xmas prezzie of 2007 received?
2. What did you do with it?

Dave650
26-12-2007, 22:21
Mike bayly's already done a very similar thread mate:( If you change the subject to 'worst xmas prezzie of 2007' then that would be acceptable :)

madowl
26-12-2007, 22:30
Hi

1. What is your worst xmas present you have ever received?
2. What did you do with it?
to have a worst, you have to have a received one first...:rolleyes:

***Boss***
26-12-2007, 22:34
Mike bayly's already done a very similar thread mate:( If you change the subject to 'worst xmas prezzie of 2007' then that would be acceptable :)

Thanks mate

Dave650
26-12-2007, 23:09
I've not had many gifts, most people seemed to give me much appreciated cash as they seem to have got it into their heads I'm difficult to buy for :suspect::hihi: Think the worst I got was an alarm clock which is going straight back to the shop because you can't see the time in the dark . Although it's the thought that counts so I appreciated it all the same:)

vipp
02-12-2008, 20:31
gave it to my dog to destroy

Dave650
02-12-2008, 20:33

God I was an arsehole last year too

Jabberwocky
02-12-2008, 20:36
My Bro in law bought me a Dr Who sonic screwdriver.

Im forty-bleedin`-seven.

He thinks that because I collect Daleks Im a Dr Who fan and Im not.

Dave650
02-12-2008, 20:40
Not my worst xmas present but this year I intend on sending my (straight male) mate a huge double ended (use your imagination) anomynously with just a card saying merry christmas. I'm sure he'd find it funny...if not I'm sure his new housemates atleast will :hihi:

Cuey
02-12-2008, 20:58
I always buy my wife something bad. Its sort of a tradition. Shes had a set of spanners, a plug and i think some fuses. I laugh :D she doesn't :rant:

She does get nice stuff as well :hihi:

Ouija
02-12-2008, 21:06
My Bro in law bought me a Dr Who sonic screwdriver.

Im forty-bleedin`-seven.

He thinks that because I collect Daleks Im a Dr Who fan and Im not.

Isn't that a fair enough assumption? Why else would you collect Daleks???

I don't think I had a bad Xmas present in 2007 :huh:

Jabberwocky
02-12-2008, 21:07
Isn't that a fair enough assumption? Why else would you collect Daleks???

I don't think I had a bad Xmas present in 2007 :huh:

I just like Daleks, the shape and the design.
I bloody hate Dr Who.

teeny
02-12-2008, 21:08
I got a teapot that you can't use!!!

Ouija
02-12-2008, 21:27
I just like Daleks, the shape and the design.
I bloody hate Dr Who.

Presumably you're rooting for the Daleks to win when you watch it then?

By the way, can you PM me your home address? :D

*ordering Dr Who bedspread online for MrWocky's Christmas present*

Minimo
02-12-2008, 22:18
I got a teapot that you can't use!!!

Is it made of chocolate?

jibbs1977
02-12-2008, 22:38
I think the pc way to say this is, its the thought behind it what counts even if its a dissapointment. But hey we always have ebay so we still get something back in long run :hihi:

Squiggs
02-12-2008, 22:52
I think the pc way to say this is, its the thought behind it what counts even if its a dissapointment.

That is my feeling.

The only "bad" present I ever received was at age 13, I received a "big time fun colouring book" from an uncle and aunt.

That said "we can't be bothered to remember how old you are"

The only other bad present was from my other uncle (my mother's brother) who when I was 8 I saw argue with, then hit, my mother. I have no idea what the present was but I know that it hurt my gran on my mum's side, when she brought it (they never visited personally), I looked at who the tag said it was from and handed it straight back without opening it.

ShadowFox
02-12-2008, 23:00
lol my cousin told me he was going to do this and he wasn't joking... wow. He gave me a beat up shoe, that was part of his pair he never wore. I sent it back :)
I got him mad during that time though so i wasn't surprised....

Helly
02-12-2008, 23:09
From my mum in law we got a pizza cutter, a tin opener and a corkskrew.

My OH was gutted his mum didn't put more thought in, especially when his brother got a Play Station.

Bladesman
02-12-2008, 23:32
Guiness Book of Records.

Never read it and never wanted it.

Mrs Green
02-12-2008, 23:40
A present is a present!!! Be grateful!

<edit> But I must admit I used to hate those knittted jumpers from the aunties

Bladesman
02-12-2008, 23:47
True I should of been grateful no matter how bad the presents were.

Mrs Green
02-12-2008, 23:52
How bad were they Bladesman?

Bladesman
02-12-2008, 23:54
When I was young I was given some cheap handheld games console thing that kept switching itself off.

Id of probably liked it if it wasnt faulty.

Mrs Green
02-12-2008, 23:59
But if you'd kept the box you could have flogged it on ebay for a fortune! Or so my parents say and the reason they have all pristine boxes from every toy me and my little bro ever had!

Bladesman
03-12-2008, 00:06
Nah seriously no body would of bought that on ebay. :)

Hecate
03-12-2008, 00:17
...<edit> But I must admit I used to hate those knittted jumpers from the aunties
<soapbox>If you're talking about hand-knit jumpers... a huge amount of time, effort and skill goes into knitting a jumper, especially if multiple colours are used (from basic stripes to intarsia and Fair Isle; the latter especially can be jaw-droppingly labour-intensive, as well as deeply lovely). Ask a knitter how much fun seaming and setting in sleeves can be... Depending on what you choose to knit with, the pattern and the size, a jumperful of yarn can set you back 70 or so, so it's not an inexpensive option either.

I know children can be ungrateful, unappreciative little buggers and if they're very young they probably know no better, but if you're lucky enough to receive a hand-knit item as a grown-up, then know that it's an indication that you're loved. So, smile and look happy when you receive your hand-knit jumper this Christmas. If you don't like it, I'll happily take it off your hands for unravelling and yarn recycling :D .</soapbox>

Mrs Green
03-12-2008, 00:39
<soapbox>If you're talking about hand-knit jumpers... a huge amount of time, effort and skill goes into knitting a jumper, especially if multiple colours are used (from basic stripes to intarsia and Fair Isle; the latter especially can be jaw-droppingly labour-intensive, as well as deeply lovely). Ask a knitter how much fun seaming and setting in sleeves can be... Depending on what you choose to knit with, the pattern and the size, a jumperful of yarn can set you back 70 or so, so it's not an inexpensive option either.

I know children can be ungrateful, unappreciative little buggers and if they're very young they probably know no better, but if you're lucky enough to receive a hand-knit item as a grown-up, then know that it's an indication that you're loved. So, smile and look happy when you receive your hand-knit jumper this Christmas. If you don't like it, I'll happily take it off your hands for unravelling and yarn recycling :D .</soapbox>

Didn't mean to sound ungrateful!! Just remembering I felt hard done to at the time. As you do when you are a kid and everyone else is getting bikes/Sindy dolls etc. But can also remember a Christmas when times were hard for mum and dad, and i had to pick a pattern out of the wool shop catalogue, mum knitted it, she knitted it on some kind of circular needle thing and I had to try it on blindfolded to make sure it fit before she sent it off to Father Christmas. I loved that jumper to bits!!! And wore it for years. Wish I knew how to knit now. It's lovely that I am able to buy my friends' kids lovely clothes from reasonably priced stores (you couldn't years ago, it was an expensive set from Mothercare or nothing) but what is lovelier than a hand knitted pair of bootees? Do people still do that? I hope so and maybe I'll learn one day! If only to annoy my nieces and nephews with fine hand crafted garments which they do not appreciate until they are older.:hihi:

chem1st
03-12-2008, 01:37
Once I got the same book twice, I was about 6. What was going on? :hihi:

flamingjimmy
03-12-2008, 02:14
Didn't mean to sound ungrateful!! Just remembering I felt hard done to at the time. As you do when you are a kid and everyone else is getting bikes/Sindy dolls etc. But can also remember a Christmas when times were hard for mum and dad, and i had to pick a pattern out of the wool shop catalogue, mum knitted it, she knitted it on some kind of circular needle thing and I had to try it on blindfolded to make sure it fit before she sent it off to Father Christmas. I loved that jumper to bits!!! And wore it for years.

Aww, that's so cute:thumbsup:

phawley
03-12-2008, 09:02
Long time ago but when my daughter was 2 my mother sent her 3 pairs of knickers, luckily we opened it before Xmas and were able to substitute it for a proper present. :mad: :mad:

pinklilbean
03-12-2008, 09:56
Years ago I received a packet of sanitary towels from my parents friends...??? :suspect:

They'd gone to the Clothes Show I believe, and they were "designer" towels!!

I think I was a teenager at the time so was pretty motified, although I guess it was a practical gift??? :rolleyes:

The_Shark
03-12-2008, 14:37
my brother got me Scrubs Season 1...i don't even like scrubs!

Hecate
03-12-2008, 14:52
Didn't mean to sound ungrateful!! Just remembering I felt hard done to at the time. As you do when you are a kid and everyone else is getting bikes/Sindy dolls etc. ...
True. Woolly goodness never did compensate for not getting Sindy's horse and swimming pool.
... I had to try it on blindfolded to make sure it fit before she sent it off to Father Christmas. ...
I'm doing that now with a hat I'm knitting for a friend. Well, without the blindfold (I trust him not to peek) and the sending off to Father Christmas :hihi: .
...but what is lovelier than a hand knitted pair of bootees? Do people still do that? ...
They do. There are loads of gorgeous bootee patterns out there. I like these (http://www.saartjeknits.nl/archives/2007/05/) (scroll down a bit), these (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTtuliptoes.html) and these (http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/patterns/archive/2007/05/15/better-than-booties-baby-socks.aspx).
...I hope so and maybe I'll learn one day! If only to annoy my nieces and nephews with fine hand crafted garments which they do not appreciate until they are older.:hihi:
:hihi:
If you ever get the urge, the knitting group on here has monthly meetings where you'd certainly pick up some tips :) .

Thingything
03-12-2008, 15:56
Wifey bought me a Simpson's chess set
Unfortunatly im the only one in our house who knows how to play chess

Rich
03-12-2008, 16:05
Viva Pinata on 360, OK I did ask for it based on the hype of it being the 360's first Gardening simulator (not that I'm into gardening), but I eventually played it about 3 times before putting it in the games cupboard and forgetting about it.

I'm probably just too old to appreciate the cutesy graphics and subtle nuonces of it.

Powerage
16-12-2008, 13:14
Last year my ageing Aunt bought me a set with 2 packets of cheese and a jar of pickle in it which I could have eaten if it hadn't already been out of date when I opened it. I also hate pickle. But its the thought that counts and she is in her late 80's:)

rachett
19-12-2008, 16:38
Worst presents i get are old peoples handbags from my grandma i know she means well but im 22 not 92 lol

Truffles
22-12-2008, 21:33
I can't say i that i have had a bad christmas present, but a work colleague of mine has bought his wife some pots and pans for christmas. I think if that was my present he would be wearing them on his head.

Geanie
22-12-2008, 21:49
i got a doorstop from my nan. Not a fancy doorstop, just a piece of wedgewood wrapped up. lol

dieselbabe
24-12-2008, 15:57
I think my mum is bad for buying us clothes items. She seems to be a year behind in what we wear. But last year i got umbro hoodie t/shirt jumper ??? im not into chavvy clothes but maybe she buy them for me so i be a bit safer on the streets so i wont get beat up?.

pretty_woman
24-12-2008, 18:47
well I challenge anyone to beat this ......a large jar of pickled Gherkins,whilst my sister got a lovely collectable willow figure of an angel,which my mum later went on to tell her that she was her angel....hmmm does that make me a GHERKIN then !!!! Mum's don't you just love them...

CaptainChaos
25-12-2008, 18:03
How about a wine bottle cover in the shape of a chinaman complete with little chinese hat. Resplendent in purple and gold faux silk it is truly hideous, and about as much use as an extra armpit.

honeyb35
28-12-2008, 21:48
a pair of pajamas 3 sizes too big. Mother in law 'thought' i was a size 20 :mad: :hihi:

Sara
28-12-2008, 22:11
My sister and brother-in law (who I don't really get on with) gave me a bottle of souvenir Austrian Peach snapps which had been opened and a couple of inches was missing. I know they've never been to Austria so I imagine it was a souvenir given to them, although I suspect when they received it it was full and the seal intact!

56cheffy
29-12-2008, 15:38
I got a book called:

Vinegar

1001 Practical Uses

:loopy:

But nowhere does it mention that it's best use is to put it on your chips!

Does anyone want it?

katy1981
29-12-2008, 18:05
an energy saving light bulb!!!:huh::rant::loopy::(

EdnaKrabappe
29-12-2008, 18:33
Sure I've posted this before but my mum is queen of pointless presents.
This years was some v cheap straighteners which i will put with the spare hairdryer she got me a few years ago. Cos a girl can never have too many pairs of straighteners or hairdriers can she?:rolleyes:

Her finest moment - some slippers. I don't wear them but they weren't bad. However on closer inspection they were a size FOUR. I said oh they are quite nice mum but can i swap them as i'm a SIX and they won't fit me. She got all grumpy and said "Huh, I thought you were a FIVE!!!"

Sara
29-12-2008, 19:36
How about a wine bottle cover in the shape of a chinaman complete with little chinese hat. Resplendent in purple and gold faux silk it is truly hideous, and about as much use as an extra armpit.

How much do you want for it? :P

***Boss***
31-12-2008, 23:57
so what is the worst present you got in 2008

sumayyah
05-01-2009, 20:09
a set of blank video tapes (TAPES not dvd's ) and 2 bottles of goddamn awful perfume that came minus the boxes

CaptainChaos
05-01-2009, 21:02
Sara .. Oh no, its not for sale. I have it in my office and use it as an aide memoir at xmas and birthdays to anyone who wants to buy something that anything including an infestation of dog fleas up the jacksy would be preferable.

Incidentally, this was bought by my daughters ex's parents, doyens of bad taste that they were, and as nutty as a xmas cake. I have found out they nicked it from a chinese restaurant in derby, not content with that went back and nicked another so they could have one too.

LibertyBell
05-01-2009, 21:08
...a cracked simpsons mug which had homers voice saying unfunny things every time you picked it up...binned immediately...

moetchampers
05-01-2009, 21:09
one off my family members bought me and my partner a can of anti freeze? :confused:

Sara
06-01-2009, 21:31
a set of blank video tapes (TAPES not dvd's ) and 2 bottles of goddamn awful perfume that came minus the boxes

Oooh, that beats my peach snaps. I assume it was a ninety year old maiden aunt that gave you these delightful gifts...

spottie2101
06-01-2009, 22:18
My dad decided to buy me and my partner a Tape Dispenser minus the roll of Sellotape and he got my sisters boyfriend a Emergency Triangle for his car!!!!!

wwcrazy
07-01-2009, 08:52
A capricorn mug, err thanks but Im not a capricorn.

Sillysod
07-01-2009, 09:24
My Nan bought me an amazing present about 5 years ago, When I was about 17/18yo.

Now what would any Nan think their 18 year old grandson would like for Christmas?

A woman's purse !!!

It was one of those with a clasp and mirror on the inside.

Worst thing was my Nan always comes round for dinner on boxing day and my Mum made sure the whole thing was very awkward by insisting I use it at least until the 27th. Going to the pub on Boxing Day afternoon was very embarrassing.....

MonkeyLover
07-01-2009, 22:25
My Nan bought me an amazing present about 5 years ago, When I was about 17/18yo.

Now what would any Nan think their 18 year old grandson would like for Christmas?

A woman's purse !!!

It was one of those with a clasp and mirror on the inside.

Worst thing was my Nan always comes round for dinner on boxing day and my Mum made sure the whole thing was very awkward by insisting I use it at least until the 27th. Going to the pub on Boxing Day afternoon was very embarrassing.....

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

chem1st
07-01-2009, 23:39
I know somebody who got a couple of out of date vouchers :O

llamatron
14-12-2011, 10:31
thought Id restart this as its so topical!

plastic jewellery set at 13.

As an avid tomboy it was a pointless gift, I went upstairs and cried because I am a terrible liar and felt guilty in advance at having to lie to my aunt about liking the gift-probably whilst not wearing said cruddy jewellery.

I have had cable ties before-at least thats slightly useful.

worst generic present-mugs!

mym8scallmeh
14-12-2011, 20:50
A set of brightly colored plastic birds with wired feet that you were supposed to attach on to your net curtains. Very 1970s lol