View Full Version : Ecclesfield 'village'

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

maverick75
17-08-2007, 16:24
used to be a good night out but now so boring, and the old shop is even closed, poor old geoff. used to have some good weekends down there with mad pete drajling can anyone remember john who used to have white bear i think he was the best landlord.

Firemansam
17-08-2007, 18:55
I can remember Trevor in The Tankard 30 odd years ago.....

Nigel Womersle
19-08-2007, 01:08

So can I, and his wife Stella. The square is actually called Stocks Hill, as in days past that's where the village stocks were sited. In my childhood, Stocks Hill did not look like it does now - the central part was just pebbles and shale, and used as a large car park. At the back of this 'car park' and facing The Tankard (now The Stocks) were two rows of houses, joining up really far back into the now grassed area. They formed an inverted V shape, and were known locally as 'The Isle'. Just around the corner in Church Street (on the left as you leave Stocks Hill, was another pub (but before my time). It was on the corner of Church Street and Priory Road. It is still there, but is two shops at ground level, with flats above. Its name was The George and Dragon'.

Arfer Mo
19-08-2007, 09:15
So can I, and his wife Stella. The square is actually called Stocks Hill, as in days past that's where the village stocks were sighted. In my childhood, Stocks Hill did not look like it does now - the central part was just pebbles and shale, and used as a large car park. At the back of this 'car park' and facing The Tankard (now The Stocks) were two rows of houses, joining up really far back into the now grassed area. They formed an inverted V shape, and were known locally as 'The Isle'. Just around the corner in Church Street (on the left as you leave Stocks Hill, was another pub (but before my time). It was one the corner of Church Street and Priory Road. It is still there, but is two shops at ground level, with flats above. Its name was The George and Dragon'.
Nigel What year about did the g and d close as i seem to remember it as a young lad was it in a terrace on the right hand side, Arthur.

Firemansam
05-09-2007, 17:46
My Auntie used to rent the whole upstairs above the shops. I remember there being a chippy, Moss' fruit & veg and the butchers, the upstairs rooms were huge.

LHarman
05-09-2007, 19:56
I can remember the Court house antiques centre when it was the library, and the little chippy.There was a little sweetshop there too.

whitehorses
05-09-2007, 23:11
Ok, let me see now.In the sixties/seventies, growing up in Ecclesfield...There was a cafe and reading rooms just down from the church and across from Coldwells shop.Going up the road in the direction of Greno was Bennets butchers, moss greengrocers, slaughter house,library,midland bank, bennets grocery store, ironmongers,not in that particular order.Further up was 'Sanders stores' which was predominantly a sweet shop but did sell groceries too, run by a lovely old couple.Bookers sweet shop was on the other side of the road almost opposite greengrocers, next to Bolton's the bakers.Then there was I think a bookies and a drapery shop.

Nigel Womersle
05-09-2007, 23:28
Ok, let me see now.In the sixties/seventies, growing up in Ecclesfield...There was a cafe and reading rooms just down from the church and across from Coldwells shop.Going up the road in the direction of Greno was Bennets butchers, moss greengrocers, slaughter house,library,midland bank, bennets grocery store, ironmongers,not in that particular order.Further up was 'Sanders stores' which was predominantly a sweet shop but did sell groceries too, run by a lovely old couple.Bookers sweet shop was on the other side of the road almost opposite greengrocers, next to Bolton's the bakers.Then there was I think a bookies and a drapery shop.

You are quite right about all these buildings. I remember them all. Bennett's grocers was known locally as 'The Busy Bee'. Their daughter Joy, was in my class at school. She died aged nine in May 1953 - the result of a tragic accident on the slide in Ecclesfield Park. Her death touched the entire village. We were friends. Her parents gave me one of her books, suitably inscribed. I still have it all these years later. Joy was a very bubbly girl. What a tragedy.

Nigel Womersle
05-09-2007, 23:32
My Auntie used to rent the whole upstairs above the shops. I remember there being a chippy, Moss' fruit & veg and the butchers, the upstairs rooms were huge.

The building your Aunt lived in was the old pub 'The George and Dragon'. The chippie and the fruit shop were the pub's tap room and best room. Above was the living quarters. I think my maternal Grandfather kept it in business - or so my Mum said. The cafe by the old Reading Room was known affectionally as 'Tiddler's'. If your Aunt was a slim, blonde lady, then I remember her. The name Carruthers springs to mind, but knowing me - most likely wrong. The building where Kath Booker had her shop, dates back to the early 1700's. Jack Stanton was the Bookie. When I was a kid, the shop you remember being occupied by Bolton's Bakers from Chapeltown, was the village Post Office. Arthur, I am still trying to find out when the pub closed, but the pub in the terrace was The Griffin - a building stretching back to the 1400's. I understand it was closed as it was getting noisy and the neighbours objected.

Nigel Womersle
06-09-2007, 23:06
I can remember the Court house antiques centre when it was the library, and the little chippy.There was a little sweetshop there too.

Miss Nora Spittlehouse was the Librarian there for many many years.

Firemansam
07-09-2007, 11:10
[QUOTE=Nigel Womersle;2612317] If your Aunt was a slim, blonde lady, then I remember her. The name Carruthers springs to mind, but knowing me - most likely wrong.
Your memory serves you well Nigel.. Jean & Johhny & two kids. Jean still lives in Ecclesfield, but sadly Johnny passed away a number of years ago.
Great post from Whitehorses reminding me of all the shops I'd forgotten about. Fantastic.

Unregistered
08-09-2007, 08:01

Click Here to see the Tankard Taxi (http://www.spick.co.uk/stocks_hill.htm)

Nigel Womersle
08-09-2007, 09:32
Click Here to see the Tankard Taxi (http://www.spick.co.uk/stocks_hill.htm)

The building next to The Tankard in the photograph is the village Post Office - run by the Smith family. Later it moved to 10 Church Street. After that it transferred to 12 St Mary's Lane. It finally closed on 8 December 2004.

Firemansam
09-09-2007, 00:15
used to be a good night out but now so boring, and the old shop is even closed, poor old geoff. used to have some good weekends down there with mad pete drajling can anyone remember john who used to have white bear i think he was the best landlord.

Pete Drajling is a familiar name, where would I know him from?

Nigel Womersle
10-09-2007, 00:13
[QUOTE=Nigel Womersle;2612317] If your Aunt was a slim, blonde lady, then I remember her. The name Carruthers springs to mind, but knowing me - most likely wrong.
Your memory serves you well Nigel.. Jean & Johhny & two kids. Jean still lives in Ecclesfield, but sadly Johnny passed away a number of years ago.
Great post from Whitehorses reminding me of all the shops I'd forgotten about. Fantastic.

Yes, I know where she lives. Tried to PM you to explain it all. However, your profile won't accept PM's. Sorry.

Firemansam
10-09-2007, 17:19
[QUOTE=Firemansam;2616418]

Yes, I know where she lives. Tried to PM you to explain it all. However, your profile won't accept PM's. Sorry.

That's strange. I'll pm you now and see if you can reply if thats OK

Basalt
11-09-2007, 21:23
Miss Nora Spittlehouse was the Librarian there for many many years.

Was she related to the Miss Spittlehouse who was head teacher at Burncross Infants in the sixties?

Nigel Womersle
11-09-2007, 23:35
Was she related to the Miss Spittlehouse who was head teacher at Burncross Infants in the sixties?

They were sisters. They had other brothers and sisters and lived at Hood Hill, Chapeltown.

rosie
23-11-2007, 16:10
The chip shop was called micks fisheries i worked ther when i was 15.

Gromit
16-12-2007, 15:07
I remember it being one street, I lived on Bernshall Cres and used to wander with my brothers over Eccy and Grenna....remember
Bug hut at the bottom of Chapletown hill ( picture palace ) used the stair carpet to slide from the circle to the stalls, jumped from rafter to rafter in search of pigeon babies and got filthy in the process.
Rifle range: collecting the spent shells
Beagle kennels: mixing dogs with bitches and fouling up the hunt for a while.
Spud picking:& roasting turnips in Grenna woods under the rope swing that my brothers put up.
Going to North's fair.
Watching Mr Tingle with his fancy pigeons.
Playing in the Dams when they were frozen.
Being attacked by a rampant pony in Ecclesfield park.
My brother burning down the pavilion.
My mother decorating the nick with plastic confetti during a deep frost and the steam cleaning it caused.
Does this invoke any memories

Nigel Womersle
16-12-2007, 18:04
I have lived in Ecclesfield village for over sixty years, and do not remember it as only one street. Have a look at the Ecclesfield website, you will see the size of the village in the 1800's. I remember the Cinema House in its heyday (my cousin was manager), and have a full history of it. I also remember the Cricket Pavillion being burned down, and the Workingmen's Club too. Just before my time, a funfair burned down on The Common/Church Street (Pullin's - not North's, who always came behind The Ball Inn). I was born on The Common, and am only a couple of streets away now.

Gromit
16-12-2007, 18:13
Slightly before my time, I still remember it as one village/street, but then my world was smaller then and it was SAFE cos everyone knew my mom n dad and I couldnt escape without em knowing where I was. Always got threatened ' I'll tell thi dad wat thas been doin!!! ger ome afore I tell im!

rosie
16-12-2007, 18:17
I remember the rifle range and the beagles and the dams and the horses on the commen i think morrels owned them they wer never in a very good condition.We used to go to a small shop called woodcocks for sweets and hang out in the park.The village has changed now to many houses .I moved to the other side of sheffield when i was 17 but my mum still lives there.Also i remember the woods off wheel lane a mass of blue with the blue bells.

Gromit
16-12-2007, 18:22
Corkers owned the ponies, ( fruit n veg) didnt care much for the ponies as far as I'm aware, one had a rotting foot and it kicked my brother when he tried to look at it. Remember going through the ice at the dams n being chased off wet through!

Gromit
16-12-2007, 18:24
Blue bell wood, remember it well, beautiful.

rosie
16-12-2007, 18:34
can you remember the paddling pool in ecco park?

Gromit
16-12-2007, 18:39
Yes, I got stung by a bee when I sat on it at the edge of the pool, I also rode my bike through it and trailed wet tyre marks all the way home. Very green and smelly as I recall, liked the spiders web though!

rosie
16-12-2007, 18:40
yes it was smelly but didnt stop kids going in it though.
lol.

Gromit
16-12-2007, 18:41
Did you go in the Dams as well?

rosie
16-12-2007, 18:43
yes do you mean the ones behind the club?

Gromit
16-12-2007, 18:45
Yes, there were three opposite the park on the main road, tother side of stream.

rosie
16-12-2007, 18:45
I also remember the little shop opposit the church and where the police station was there was alot of spare land were lupins grew if you went up there you could get down to the park.

rosie
16-12-2007, 18:46
so you must have moved to the south side of sheffield as i did.Im in meersbrook.

Gromit
16-12-2007, 18:48
Thats where the ponys were kept, one big field before they built on it and there was a ginnel down the side of it leading to the park.

rosie
16-12-2007, 18:50
yes that right gosh its a long time ago all this but what a great time we used to have when we were kids and all of it cost nothing.Can you remember the caves in the fields just off yew lane?always cows in the fields.

Gromit
16-12-2007, 18:51
so you must have moved to the south side of sheffield as i did.Im in meersbrook.

I'm in Heeley and have been for 30 years, graves park and Meersbrook are stomping ground now.

rosie
16-12-2007, 18:53
aye same here .did you go to the ecclesfield comp or colly?i went to colley.

Gromit
16-12-2007, 18:53
Where did you go to school and what year?

rosie
16-12-2007, 18:55
I left colley 79/80

Gromit
16-12-2007, 19:09
I left half way through the third year in 71 and moved to the other side of Sheffield, ended up at Hurlfield Comp, **** hole:gag:

tonio
16-12-2007, 19:40
Where did you go to school and what year?
Trying to work out who you are Grommit.What number on Bernshall and when did you leave Colley

Nigel Womersle
16-12-2007, 23:14
I also remember the little shop opposit the church and where the police station was there was alot of spare land were lupins grew if you went up there you could get down to the park.

All that is built on now Rosie. More's the pity.

rosie
17-12-2007, 19:40
Yes ecclesfield hasnt changed for the better im afraid.

OneofThree
17-12-2007, 20:47
Many buildings have gone over the years. The original scout hut opposite the post office, the band hut (and the band), the car spares shop near to Ladycroft footpath, St Mary's Garage, the allotments, Greens foundry and Stanley's to name but a few. Other buildings have changed use like, the old police station, Courthouse, Griffin, Trinity Chapel, the old coop, regency (Bank House).

Did you go to get the papers when the shop was opposite the entrace to the school or buy groceries from Braybrook's on The Common. I once bought a bike from Cutts and fish and chips from Jones's.

And you went to the Doctor's on Church Street.

Nostalgia is a great thing. ahh

Nigel Womersle
18-12-2007, 00:21
Many buildings have gone over the years. The original scout hut opposite the post office, the band hut (and the band), the car spares shop near to Ladycroft footpath, St Mary's Garage, the allotments, Greens foundry and Stanley's to name but a few. Other buildings have changed use like, the old police station, Courthouse, Griffin, Trinity Chapel, the old coop, regency (Bank House).

Did you go to get the papers when the shop was opposite the entrace to the school or buy groceries from Braybrook's on The Common. I once bought a bike from Cutts and fish and chips from Jones's.

And you went to the Doctor's on Church Street.

Nostalgia is a great thing. ahh

I used to go to all those shops. the Doctor's Surgery at 50 Church Street was only for the brave if Dr Smail was on duty. He could tell you what was wrong with you, just by looking at you. A good Doctor though. Dr Mackintosh was our Doctor. There was a surgery downstairs and one upstairs. Both had ill fitting doors and those in the waiting room heard everything. You could go round the back with your prescription and Miss Dronfield would make it up for you. There was also Mr Nicholson's chemist at the corner of Yew Lane and St Mary's Lane. Mr and Mrs Moxon had the newsagency opposite the Modern School drive.

Gromit
18-12-2007, 12:07
yes that right gosh its a long time ago all this but what a great time we used to have when we were kids and all of it cost nothing.Can you remember the caves in the fields just off yew lane?always cows in the fields.

Yes we went there regularly, I can remember getting lost in the corn field as I was too small to see over the top, the local milk man took me home in his van. My brothers and me all got a fair old beating for that one.

Gromit
18-12-2007, 12:09
I left colley 79/80

I left Colley in 71 and finished up at Hurlfield for the next three years.

rosie
18-12-2007, 16:49
cAN YOU REMEMBER THE COAL MAN BOTTOM OF YEW LANE THINK IT WAS CALLED MAWS.AND THE CHIP SHOP MICKS FISHERIES I WORKED THERE FOR A WHILE WHEN I WAS 15.

Bushbaby
18-12-2007, 17:39
I used to love the little walkway that went from the High Street down into the Park. It was like a secret passage or something from Enid Blyton

PETE
18-12-2007, 20:12
i bought the chipshop in 1981 and ran it for a year. the chippy and the fruit shop were divided by a hardboard sheet. i couldnt wait to flog it . it was a rat infested hole and the cellers were all flooded. my apologies to anyone who ever bought anything from my shop and ended up with del belly

without predjudice

OneofThree
18-12-2007, 22:07
It's still there, that's the Ladycroft footpath. It is cobbled all the length but they have become buried under years of leaves.

Firemansam
19-12-2007, 23:26
I remember our Doctors was at the bottom of Yew Lane (opposite Reneville Drive), can't remember his name but if you went in to see him, the room was always FULL of smoke. Can't remember if it was a pipe or cigs he smoked but it was dreadful. That would be around 1968ish, they later relocated on to Elm Lane.
Can you imagine owt like that today ??

Firemansam
19-12-2007, 23:28
What about the cardboard slides on "The Brookes". . ... remember them ?
then sledging down there in winter... great fun.

Nigel Womersle
20-12-2007, 01:47
I remember our Doctors was at the bottom of Yew Lane (opposite Reneville Drive), can't remember his name but if you went in to see him, the room was always FULL of smoke. Can't remember if it was a pipe or cigs he smoked but it was dreadful. That would be around 1968ish, they later relocated on to Elm Lane.
Can you imagine owt like that today ??

Dr Labib Botros, 55 High Street (now demolished).

Nigel Womersle
20-12-2007, 01:55
It's still there, that's the Ladycroft footpath. It is cobbled all the length but they have become buried under years of leaves.

It's unsafe to walk on these days, as it is so slippy with all those rotting leaves. It is also crumbling away. The Ladycroft footpath was laid down in 1788, on land owned by a Mr Dixon. Mr Dixon could have been the vicar, as James Dixon was vicar of Ecclesfield at that time. Work on the Ladycroft path construction began on 19 April of that year. Somewhere towards the top is 'the spitting diamond stone' - no more than a diamond - shaped cobblestone which countless generations of children spat on as they walked over it. It was supposed to bring good luck. I had a look for it last week, but could not locate it under all that rubbish.

Nigel Womersle
20-12-2007, 01:59
cAN YOU REMEMBER THE COAL MAN BOTTOM OF YEW LANE THINK IT WAS CALLED MAWS.AND THE CHIP SHOP MICKS FISHERIES I WORKED THERE FOR A WHILE WHEN I WAS 15.

Maws are still there. When I was a kid, Mick's fish shop was owned by Mrs Darwin. Everyone knew the shop as 'Mariah's' (as in Carey), It's a photographic studio now, and Brian Goodhand's fruit shop next door is now a boutique.

rosie
20-12-2007, 09:19
oh gosh didnt see any rats when i was there thank god.was damp in the back part of the shop though.

pitsmoorlad
05-01-2008, 21:05
My other half was born and brought up in Ecclesfield, and she's been reading these posts with great interest. She can remember most of what's been recalled and would like to ask this.... Does anybody remember Mrs Catlin wo worked in the chippy at the side of the Ball, apparently she made the best chips ever. Also the cobblers next door, which became a bookies, Goldsmith's fruit shop (run by Ken and Dorothy), and what about Rushby's bakery?
Bring back memories to anyone ???

Gromit
05-01-2008, 21:16
Trying to work out who you are Grommit.What number on Bernshall and when did you leave Colley

Lived at number 2 and Left Colley in 71 when we moved to other side of Sheffield.

Gromit
05-01-2008, 21:18
My other half was born and brought up in Ecclesfield, and she's been reading these posts with great interest. She can remember most of what's been recalled and would like to ask this.... Does anybody remember Mrs Catlin wo worked in the chippy at the side of the Ball, apparently she made the best chips ever. Also the cobblers next door, which became a bookies, Goldsmith's fruit shop (run by Ken and Dorothy), and what about Rushby's bakery?

Yes, I remember Mrs Catlin, and Rushbys, my aunt lived in the cottages at the side of Catlins as well.

Firemansam
06-01-2008, 00:49

What about The Sportsman pub, remember that?

tonio
06-01-2008, 11:42
Hi Pitsmoorlad
I remember everything you mention.From being 9 yr old until
10 yrs ago I lived in Ecclesfield and most of the time within 200 yds of the places you mention.I worked with Mrs catlyn's son,David,for 25 yrs until I retired 4yrs ago.Mrs Catlyn lived to a ripe old age and died about 15 yrs ago The chipshop was actually owned by the bookie.The bookies shop was managed by Harry Wilson who before bookmakers became legal was the local "Bookies Runner"
Rushbys Shop was a superb bakery. Everything was made on the premises and I remember they sold mini Hovis loaves at 1 old penny each.They went on to open The Regency Restaurent (Now recently demolished and a monstrosity built in its place)
Ken and Dorothy Goldsmith who had the fruit shop actually lived in one of a row of three cottages which were opposite the chip shop.At at one time Dorothy was a club turn and it was strongly rumoured that she was a stripper, but only when she worked out of the Sheffield area.She was certainly a good looker.
I did my early drinking at the Sportsman They had a good darts team and a game of 3 Card Brag was going most nights.Jack and Edgar Senior,Peter Richardson etc.. A shilling blind was a good opening bet in those days. It was demolished in 1962.
Happy memories of long ago.
I probably know your wife Pitsmoorlad.It seems her memories are from the same era as mine

Nigel Womersle
06-01-2008, 18:12
I too remember Mrs Catlin. She lived at 15 Cross Hill. As you say, her chips were brilliant. She had a terrific sense of humour, and knew just how to deal with the drinkers who went into the chippie. Everyone liked her. I remember Harry Wilson too, and his wife. I believe he had to have a leg amputated. The fruit and veg shop was just opposite the Ball Inn before being demolished for the new stretch of road. Also all the old cottages around there. I do remember something about the lady at the fruit shop being in the newspaper when I was a paper lad, but in all honesty I cannot remember what for. The Sportsman at one time, was known as 'Mary's House' - its landlady being Mrs Mary Beard. There was a Tannery next to it too (before my time). My Dad was cousin to Harry Rusby (who's family lived in Bank House. Later Harry and his wife Muriel turned it into The Regency). I spent many hours in the gardens there. It was a fantastic house - so ornate inside. You are right about the penny Hovis loaves - they were really nice - a complete miniature loaf. The Regency is still there, but has been extended and become the Regency Court (flats). There was an old farm opposite Bank House. It was on the site which Dearden Court now occupies.

pitsmoorlad
08-01-2008, 09:32
My OH says that she remembers all the things mentioned, and did anyone, like her, go to the back door and down the steps at The Sportsman for a penny ice lolly, or to the off licence at the Greyhound for a bag of crisps from Winnie Tudor (complete with fag hanging out of the side of her mouth.)
She also doubts that Dorothy Goldsmith was a stripper but thinks that most of the men would have liked her to be one.

hutch
08-01-2008, 11:51
Do you remember Conway and Cutts Wireless dealers opposite the Junior school,in the late 40's and earlier houses with no electricity had accumulaters i think thats what they were called, a sort of battery without it the homes could not get the radio programes,I lived on Hillside but the houses on Strawberry Ave had no electric,so would walk to school with friends carrying this glass container filled with acid? , does anyone remember the earth wire behind the wireless shop if touched you got a mild electric shock yes we were a bit daft in those days.
The dam behind the club was great when frozen over we would jump on even when the edges where unfrozen all the ice creaking how stupid was that.I went to the infants school Junior and the Modern school in the bottom grades all the way through,but something must have gone in as i retired at 58,reasonably well off.

tonio
08-01-2008, 17:17
My OH says that she remembers all the things mentioned, and did anyone, like her, go to the back door and down the steps at The Sportsman for a penny ice lolly, or to the off licence at the Greyhound for a bag of crisps from Winnie Tudor (complete with fag hanging out of the side of her mouth.)
She also doubts that Dorothy Goldsmith was a stripper but thinks that most of the men would have liked her to be one.

The penny ice lollies were always brown(probably burdoch)but had a white creamy bottom.I delivered papers for Moxons and Mrs Tudor always gave me a shilling when I collected her paper money.I delivered morning papers up Town End Rd and The Wheel.The postwoman was Rachel and we helped each other delivering.The paperboy from Robinsons was David Marsden(Mazzie)
Rachel,who lived at the top of "Lambeth",was a village character.Nigel Womersley surely remembers her and The Misses Grimboldy who ran The P.O.when it was opposite the bottom of Priory Rd.

tonio
08-01-2008, 17:23
Do you remember Conway and Cutts Wireless dealers opposite the Junior school,in the late 40's and earlier houses with no electricity had accumulaters i think thats what they were called, a sort of battery without it the homes could not get the radio programes,I lived on Hillside but the houses on Strawberry Ave had no electric,so would walk to school with friends carrying this glass container filled with acid? , does anyone remember the earth wire behind the wireless shop if touched you got a mild electric shock yes we were a bit daft in those days.
The dam behind the club was great when frozen over we would jump on even when the edges where unfrozen all the ice creaking how stupid was that.I went to the infants school Junior and the Modern school in the bottom grades all the way through,but something must have gone in as i retired at 58,reasonably well off.

Posh end of the village was Hillside.Do you remember Cliff Hodgekinson and another pal of mine,Mick Owen, from Martin Crec Both will be 67 now.
How long have you been retired?

tonio
08-01-2008, 17:51

Posh end of the village was Hillside.Do you remember Cliff Hodgekinson and another pal of mine,Mick Owen, from Martin Crec Both will be 67 now.
How long have you been retired?

Nigel Womersle
08-01-2008, 18:03
The penny ice lollies were always brown(probably burdoch)but had a white creamy bottom.I delivered papers for Moxons and Mrs Tudor always gave me a shilling when I collected her paper money.I delivered morning papers up Town End Rd and The Wheel.The postwoman was Rachel and we helped each other delivering.The paperboy from Robinsons was David Marsden(Mazzie)
Rachel,who lived at the top of "Lambeth",was a village character.Nigel Womersley surely remembers her and The Misses Grimboldy who ran The P.O.when it was opposite the bottom of Priory Rd.

I do remember Rachel, as I worked with her as Postman at the Post Office when it was in St. Mary's Lane, and run by Kathleen and Marjorie Grimoldby. It transferred there in 1955 from 10 Church Street (as you say - bottom of Priory Road) Rachel died five years ago and I read out a poem at her funeral service. She had actually picked it herself, and asked me to read it at her funeral. She asked this some months before she died. I used to buy crab apples from the back door of The Sportsman, and also prior to leaving school - delivered papers for Mr & Mrs Moxon (Laurence and Sue).

joegraybsc
08-01-2008, 19:24
Many buildings have gone over the years. The original scout hut opposite the post office, the band hut (and the band) .....

Hi Everyone!
Does anyone have any info on the band? I believe it was called the Ecclesfield Silver Prize Band and my wife's Granddad (George Frith)was the conductor at one time (1930s?). The Friths moved to Ecclesfield in the 1920s and lived just on from the Nurses Home on St Michael's Road - George's wife was Nellie and their sons Albert and Henry remained bachelors and lived in the same house for 40-odd years, son George and daughters Norah (my wife's mother) and Nellie married and lived at Firth Park. I have a photograph of the band (looks like the 1930s, could be later).
Does anyone remember George, Nellie or their children? Does anyone have relatives that were members of the band?

hutch
08-01-2008, 21:14
[QUOTE=tonio;3005097]Posh end of the village was Hillside.Do you remember Cliff Hodgekinson and another pal of mine,Mick Owen, from Martin Crec Both will be 67 now.
How long have you been retired [10 YEARS LAST MAY] Hi I would not say posh very small houses with the toilet outside, yes Michael Owen was a friend of mine he used to call for me on a Sat morning very early, me i was still in bed.
In Australia now?,Cliffe i did not remember but met him at a school reunion last year i managed to get a copy of a school photo taken at the juniors in 1949/50 , I remember Roy Whitham Moggy Jones Tony Stuchberry Lawrence Wroe Binny Barnes and others but is now a long time ago.where do you fit in Tonio.

tonio
09-01-2008, 14:05
Hi Hutch.
In my teens I knocked about with a lot of lads from Ecclesfield Sec Mod but I attended Ecclesfield G.S. I think I was a year behind you at school.Same year as Ken Dyson,Mick Arrand,Stewart Portman etc.
I still am a very close pal of Ian Smart who you probably saw at your reunion last year.He organised a very succesful one 12 months earlier.
Do you remember the twins Molly and Mick Gregory? Molly now lives in a small village in Scotland a few hundred yards from my elder brother.
Another name or two just came into my mind.Nipper Turner,Graham Lewis,John Robinson and Brian Brookes.Think they were in your year.
Tonio

tonio
09-01-2008, 14:27
Hi Everyone!
Does anyone have any info on the band? I believe it was called the Ecclesfield Silver Prize Band and my wife's Granddad (George Frith)was the conductor at one time (1930s?). The Friths moved to Ecclesfield in the 1920s and lived just on from the Nurses Home on St Michael's Road - George's wife was Nellie and their sons Albert and Henry remained bachelors and lived in the same house for 40-odd years, son George and daughters Norah (my wife's mother) and Nellie married and lived at Firth Park. I have a photograph of the band (looks like the 1930s, could be later).
Does anyone remember George, Nellie or their children? Does anyone have relatives that were members of the band?

I joined Ecclesfield Silver Prize as a 13 yr old in 1953 and then moved on to Chapeltown S.P.B. after some silly fall out in1958.I stayed there until 1973 when golf took over from banding.
Some names from the fifties I remember are Joe Hartley(conductor)Dick Hartley(horn)David Flather,Jack Flather,Bill Deardon(cornets)Jimmey Gee(trombone) and the infamous Basil Briggs who,when the Band was parading,played the base drum.
Sadly the band ceased to exist about 20 yrs ago and I have often wondered what happened to the instruments and Band's library of sheet music.
My wife surprised me 4 yrs ago when she got me a new cornet as a Xmas present and to my surprise and joy I was still able to play.Just like riding a bike,you never forget.
I realy enjoyed my 20 yrs banding as I learnt to enjoy and appreciate all types of music.

hutch
09-01-2008, 14:46
Hi Hutch.
In my teens I knocked about with a lot of lads from Ecclesfield Sec Mod but I attended Ecclesfield G.S. I think I was a year behind you at school.Same year as Ken Dyson,Mick Arrand,Stewart Portman etc.
I still am a very close pal of Ian Smart who you probably saw at your reunion last year.He organised a very succesful one 12 months earlier.
Do you remember the twins Molly and Mick Gregory? Molly now lives in a small village in Scotland a few hundred yards from my elder brother.
Another name or two just came into my mind.Nipper Turner,Graham Lewis,John Robinson and Brian Brookes.Think they were in your year.
Tonio
Hi Tonio. The reunion was 2005 at Chapeltown my mistake Brian Brookes was there Clff H Alan Turner Mick Gregorys brother forget the name, the reunion was for the pupils 1 year after me but had a class photo with me plus the class, Mr Mckie was the teacher remember his malaca [cane] felt that a few times Graham Chambers hid it in the cupboard cannot remember the outcome of that, my sister law Norma Travis lived on the common she is in touch with the Molly Gregory and others she is a little younger than me and went to the Grammer school,at the reunion there was a photo of the class one year after mine you may have been on it. Roy.

whitehorses
09-01-2008, 17:53

I remember the star paper boy who delivered up townend road and Wheel.He was called Vincent Lally.This would be in late sixties early seventies I think.

tonio
10-01-2008, 07:50
I remember the star paper boy who delivered up townend road and Wheel.He was called Vincent Lally.This would be in late sixties early seventies I think.

It was my round in the mid fifties

Tradescanthia
10-01-2008, 10:12
Hi Everyone!

I remember working with three bachelor brothers at Greens foundry in the early 70's. They were John, Henry, and Albert Higgins. They all lived in the same house in the Strawberry Avenue area. The manager at that time was Tommy Parkinson who I think played in the band. Top bloke was Tommy, a true gentleman.

mother goose
12-01-2008, 11:36
Does anyone remember Alonza Whitham and his wife keeping the chip shop opposite the post office? Just below the chip shop was Gillot's DIY shop. Old Mr Gillot served in the shop and he knew everything there was to know about wood and he was very obliging. He wore a flat hat and had a pencil behind his ear.
Another memory of mine is the small cottages opposite Trinity Methodist church on High Street. I was told that one of the cottages was the original meeting place for methodism in Ecclesfield. Another memory is Mrs Coldwell's shop opposite the church. She was very helpful and one of my favourite groceries was the ham she boiled herself and sliced for you (so much nicer than the supermarket stuff of today - no additives).

dowkeruk
12-01-2008, 18:00
This is probably too early for readers of this thread but a great aunt
had a grocery on the Common (married name of Briggs) from the 1930's to
the end of the war. We used to go at Christmas. She and my Grandma were
born in Oliver cottages (Wragg wheel) and my mother on High Street. She
used to collect milk from a farm on Walet End and worked for a while at
the Coop.

tonio
13-01-2008, 13:13
Does anyone remember Alonza Whitham and his wife keeping the chip shop opposite the post office? Just below the chip shop was Gillot's DIY shop. Old Mr Gillot served in the shop and he knew everything there was to know about wood and he was very obliging. He wore a flat hat and had a pencil behind his ear.
Another memory of mine is the small cottages opposite Trinity Methodist church on High Street. I was told that one of the cottages was the original meeting place for methodism in Ecclesfield. Another memory is Mrs Coldwell's shop opposite the church. She was very helpful and one of my favourite groceries was the ham she boiled herself and sliced for you (so much nicer than the supermarket stuff of today - no additives).

Whitam's fish and chips were great as are the present Marishells.
Mr Gillot was the brother of the previously mentioned Rachel the post woman. I seem to remember him living in Feoffees Hall(now the snooker club) in the mid fifties when it was The British Legion.Maybe he was the caretaker.
I remember Tony Coldwell and he certainly loved Whitam's Fries.
The old co op.Dry goods to the left,dairy produce to the right and potatoes down the shoot in the back. Cheese was cut with a wire,butter cut and slapped into shape with s spatula and bacon cut on the bacon slicer and all then wrapped in grease proof paper.
THe good old days

pigeon
13-01-2008, 13:25
Mr Gillot was the brother of the previously mentioned Rachel the post woman. I seem to remember him living in Feoffees Hall(now the snooker club) in the mid fifties when it was The British Legion.Maybe he was the caretaker.
The old co op.Dry goods to the left,dairy produce to the right and potatoes down the shoot in the back. Cheese was cut with a wire,butter cut and slapped into shape with s spatula and bacon cut on the bacon slicer and all then wrapped in grease proof paper.
THe good old days

you bring back some good memories suppose you cant handle food like that these days .. but then again we were seldom poorley in those days :loopy:makes you wonder !

Nigel Womersle
13-01-2008, 18:08
THe good old days

Old Mr Gillott was Rachel's Father. 'Young' Mr Gillott (Wilf) who owned the shop witrh his wife Rose, was Rachel's brother. The family did live in the old Feoffees Hall when they were young. I remember Whitham's having the chip shop in St Mary's Lane. Mr and Mrs Jones bought it from them in the 1950's. You are right about the Co-Op. There was sawdust on the floor and a smell of cheese. I was talking to Tony Coldwell last week. His Mother died two years ago. Her shop was brilliant.

Nigel Womersle
13-01-2008, 18:17
This is probably too early for readers of this thread but a great aunt
had a grocery on the Common (married name of Briggs) from the 1930's to
the end of the war. We used to go at Christmas. She and my Grandma were
born in Oliver cottages (Wragg wheel) and my mother on High Street. She
used to collect milk from a farm on Walet End and worked for a while at
the Coop.

Briggs' shop was at the corner of The Common and Mill Road. Sugar was kept loose in a drawer - put into blue paper bags when sold. They had an old fashioned (but not at the time) bacon slicer. Biscuits were loose and in tins with glass lids. After Briggs' left, it became The Globe Tea Company. The shop is now Lloyds Chemist and is due to close soon as the chemist is moving to the Health Centre site in Mill Road.

tonio
13-01-2008, 20:14
Briggs' shop was at the corner of The Common and Mill Road. Sugar was kept loose in a drawer - put into blue paper bags when sold. They had an old fashioned (but not at the time) bacon slicer. Biscuits were loose and in tins with glass lids. After Briggs' left, it became The Globe Tea Company. The shop is now Lloyds Chemist and is due to close soon as the chemist is moving to the Health Centre site in Mill Road.

Shops down Mill Rd. Steeles barbers,Lil and Ede Tingle's accumlator shop before it became a newsagents and Mr Filsall's sweet shop.What was the name of the shop at the other end of Mill Rd before it became Stringer's Ladies Hair Salon.I'm a big pal of Graham Stringer.The sweet shop in the cinema,owned many years ago by Mrs Ferris,do you remember that one Nigel?By the way do you live on Church St?

Nigel Womersle
14-01-2008, 18:35
Shops down Mill Rd. Steeles barbers,Lil and Ede Tingle's accumlator shop before it became a newsagents and Mr Filsall's sweet shop.What was the name of the shop at the other end of Mill Rd before it became Stringer's Ladies Hair Salon.I'm a big pal of Graham Stringer.The sweet shop in the cinema,owned many years ago by Mrs Ferris,do you remember that one Nigel?By the way do you live on Church St?

I remember all the shops you mention. Before Tingle's had their shop, it was run by Mr Wood, who only had one arm. Filsell's is now a chip shop (had so many owners its beggars belief). The shop at the corner of Mill Road and Church Street was owned by Mrs Hogg (Enid) before Graham and Joyce Stringer had it. In my early days it was Weldon's grocery shop. Sorry, but the only person I knew to have the sweet shop in the cinema building was Mrs Key. She lived at the farm opposite. Mrs Ferris was most likely before her. Sorry, I don't live in Church Street.

whitehorses
14-01-2008, 19:28
I remember loads of stuff about old Ecclesfield as I may have posted here before.
Does anyone remember Bookers sweet shop?They had a mynah bird in there and it used to pretend to be the owners, and say hello as you walked in, it was always laughing and making daft noises!!
There was an old drapers shop on the end of that row, it was lovely, very traditional, selling buttons and ribbons and wool, and ladybird clothes!! Of course I remember Coldwells and the hams that Mrs. C used to do!Can you remember the beer crates that they had round the shop, covered with sacks for customers to sit on?Also Woodcocks where I used to buy me lem fiz squares and fab lollies!

tara
14-01-2008, 20:53
Anyone remember Mary Whitam that use to sell buscuits etc, door to door once a week. She probably lived on a farm near ecclesfield, this was in the 60s, she always wore a brown boiler suit.

hutch
14-01-2008, 21:06
Anyone remember Mary Whitam that use to sell buscuits etc, door to door once a week. She probably lived on a farm near ecclesfield, this was in the 60s, she always wore a brown boiler suit.we moved back to Shiregreen in the mid 50's a Mary Whitham? came round in a Fordson pickup selling fruit and veg, later it was a modern Austin i always understood that she had a greengrocers on St Michael's Rd could be wrong. Remember Mr Frost [barber] Cross Hill had my hair cut but never said a word just short back and sides.

Nigel Womersle
15-01-2008, 13:34
I remember loads of stuff about old Ecclesfield as I may have posted here before.
Does anyone remember Bookers sweet shop?They had a mynah bird in there and it used to pretend to be the owners, and say hello as you walked in, it was always laughing and making daft noises!!
There was an old drapers shop on the end of that row, it was lovely, very traditional, selling buttons and ribbons and wool, and ladybird clothes!! Of course I remember Coldwells and the hams that Mrs. C used to do!Can you remember the beer crates that they had round the shop, covered with sacks for customers to sit on?Also Woodcocks where I used to buy me lem fiz squares and fab lollies!

I remember Kath Booker's sweet shop. I knew her parents as well (Mr & Mrs Housley) Mrs Rose had the drapery at the corner of Stocks Hill and Church Street. At one time it was Kelly Yeardley's bicycle shop. I remember Mrs Coldwell having those beer crates to sit on, as it was a large double shop inside. No bar coded tills then. She could add up like lightning, and never got it wrong. She was a lovely lady. Mr Woodcock, whose shop was behind The White Bear, was a Speedway rider at one time.

Blackbeard
15-01-2008, 15:00
Nostalgia is not what it used to be but for those of us of a certain age the U3A, the University of the Third Age, has started up a Local History Group in the Ecclesfield area. The group is meeting, once a month, to start with, at Chapeltown Library, if you are interested send me a PM and I will send you the details.

Nigel Womersle
15-01-2008, 18:13
we moved back to Shiregreen in the mid 50's a Mary Whitham? came round in a Fordson pickup selling fruit and veg, later it was a modern Austin i always understood that she had a greengrocers on St Michael's Rd could be wrong. Remember Mr Frost [barber] Cross Hill had my hair cut but never said a word just short back and sides.

For once I am stumped with this one. I have never heard of the lady, but that means nothing. Whitham is a good old Ecclesfield name though. If she had a shop on St Michael's Road, it must have been the 1950's, as there were only two shops there in the late 50's. Mr Hurdley's grocery store (motto - 'You'll get it at Alfs'). The other was Mann's drapery store. I shall ask around though. Thanks for that.

Ecclesfield
15-01-2008, 22:45
Lived in Ecclesfield in the 60's from the age of 7 till 16. - lived at the top of the hill at Tunwell Ave. Remember the ponds at the working mens and round the back the island, and the shrogs(?).
Went to the old scout hut as a cub and then the scouts under the direction of D. Crisp. As I remember Akela was connected to one of the pubs in the square. Somebody might remember mi dad Cliff Ball. Used to play drums at the legion with Jack Leeming, where I went through a winda an cut all mi arm! Played bass drum with the ESP Band for a while. Played drums and ran the fishing club at the working mens.
I remember the fish an chip shop by the Ball, my favourite, and the fair there. Also riding on our bikes opposite the Ball and later on the faiground. Went to EGS at the time when they annexed the school in Ecclesfield and the jennell from the school to the fairground by the Ball.
Happy Days!!!

Blackbeard
16-01-2008, 07:26
Talking about the fishing pond at Ecclesfield.
If any of you have made your fortune and feel you would like to buy back a bit of your youth and make an investment at the same time, the fishing ponds are up for sale!
Take a look at this site and then go to lot 21 http://www.markjenkinson.co.uk/next.asp
A unique opportunity to acquire a fishing pond of 2.59 acres standing in just over 5 acres on the fringe of the historic village of Ecclesfield. The property occupies a delightful position adjoining open fields and looking towards Greno Wood.
Price Guide:
40,000-50,000
Makes a change from Ebay

Nigel Womersle
16-01-2008, 09:38
Lived in Ecclesfield in the 60's from the age of 7 till 16. - lived at the top of the hill at Tunwell Ave. Remember the ponds at the working mens and round the back the island, and the shrogs(?).
Went to the old scout hut as a cub and then the scouts under the direction of D. Crisp. As I remember Akela was connected to one of the pubs in the square. Somebody might remember mi dad Cliff Ball. Used to play drums at the legion with Jack Leeming, where I went through a winda an cut all mi arm! Played bass drum with the ESP Band for a while. Played drums and ran the fishing club at the working mens.
I remember the fish an chip shop by the Ball, my favourite, and the fair there. Also riding on our bikes opposite the Ball and later on the faiground. Went to EGS at the time when they annexed the school in Ecclesfield and the jennell from the school to the fairground by the Ball.
Happy Days!!!

I remember your Dad calling the Bingo at Ecclesfield WMC around 1964.

Nigel Womersle
16-01-2008, 09:43
Talking about the fishing pond at Ecclesfield.
If any of you have made your fortune and feel you would like to buy back a bit of your youth and make an investment at the same time, the fishing ponds are up for sale!
Take a look at this site and then go to lot 21 http://www.markjenkinson.co.uk/next.asp
A unique opportunity to acquire a fishing pond of 2.59 acres standing in just over 5 acres on the fringe of the historic village of Ecclesfield. The property occupies a delightful position adjoining open fields and looking towards Greno Wood.
Price Guide:
40,000-50,000
Makes a change from Ebay

I knew someone who drowned themselves in the dam and someone who tried but failed. Supposedly, in the 1920's, a horse and cart slipped into the dam, and was never seen again. How it got to the dam at all beats me. The nearby Willowgarth (with the island in the middle) hails back to Anglo Saxon days when a dwelling was on the island (most likely a wooden one) with a moat around it.

Ecclesfield
16-01-2008, 14:18
Re The fishing ponds - I wish, and thanks for the information about the island. I can still remember the thrill of being the "great explorer" when I discovered it. I'd forgotten about my dad calling bingo, he did loads of things, I know he used to do the posters as I was fascinated by all his pens and exotic inks.

hutch
16-01-2008, 15:24
[QUOTE=Nigel Womersle;3030078]For once I am stumped with this one. I have never heard of the lady, but that means nothing. Whitham is a good old Ecclesfield name though. If she had a shop on St Michael's Road, it must have been the 1950's, as there were only two shops there in the late 50's. Mr Hurdley's grocery store (motto - 'You'll get it at Alfs'). The other was Mann's drapery store. I shall ask around though. Thanks for that. HI Nigel Looking in the Kellys directory for the 1950;s to 61 there was a Martha Whitham 254 High Greave fruiterer plus a fried fish shop and later a Whitham 17a Colley rd house 9 Martin Cresc, this must have been at the start of Barnsley road right at the bottom of the hill i remember a small building and buying fish and chips there.

hutch
16-01-2008, 15:44
Early in the 1950's late in the evening i was coming down from the Capital cinema [ Sheffield lane top]with the family plus a large crowd of cinema goers, having got to Colley road we heard a large crash and shouting a car had crashed through the wall killing if i remember correctly 2 men does any one remember this, also around that time a young lad was killed climbing a electric pylon at Hartley Brook, these were taken down many years ago i think they led from Neepsend power station.
On a lighter note we took cardboard from the back of the Coop to grass sledge down the hill at Hartley brook lots of fun but did not consider the mess we made with the card board [litter louts]

dowkeruk
16-01-2008, 21:59
Early in the 1950's late in the evening i was coming down from the Capital cinema [ Sheffield lane top]with the family plus a large crowd of cinema goers, having got to Colley road we heard a large crash and shouting a car had crashed through the wall killing if i remember correctly 2 men does any one remember this, also around that time a young lad was killed climbing a electric pylon at Hartley Brook, these were taken down many years ago i think they led from Neepsend power station.
On a lighter note we took cardboard from the back of the Coop to grass sledge down the hill at Hartley brook lots of fun but did not consider the mess we made with the card board [litter louts]

The young lad was Gordon Spavold . He died in hospital after falling from the pylon. He was known to be 'naughty' and lived on Kinnaird Avenue (I think -- the road opposite the old Essoldo anyway).
I knew him. One day while playing outside his house he suddenly asked if I would like a book and went inside and came out with 'Enquire Within ...' I've no idea why. I'd be about 10 or 11.

Nigel Womersle
16-01-2008, 23:39
[QUOTE=Nigel Womersle;3030078]For once I am stumped with this one. I have never heard of the lady, but that means nothing. Whitham is a good old Ecclesfield name though. If she had a shop on St Michael's Road, it must have been the 1950's, as there were only two shops there in the late 50's. Mr Hurdley's grocery store (motto - 'You'll get it at Alfs'). The other was Mann's drapery store. I shall ask around though. Thanks for that. HI Nigel Looking in the Kellys directory for the 1950;s to 61 there was a Martha Whitham 254 High Greave fruiterer plus a fried fish shop and later a Whitham 17a Colley rd house 9 Martin Cresc, this must have been at the start of Barnsley road right at the bottom of the hill i remember a small building and buying fish and chips there.

Hello hutch. Yes, I would think you are right. When I was in Ecclesfield Junior School, I was in class with a girl called Susan Stonebanks. Her parents had the shop at the beginning of Colley Road, facing down High Greave, which was a greengrocer's and general store. Maybe Mrs Whitham had that shop, as I only remember that one and the Co-Op at the other side of the road (now Park Dental Care). I remember the chip shop too. Later it became a ladies hairdresser's. A Mrs Whitham had a lock up shed in Ecclesfield Park in the 1950's. From it she sold soft drinks and snacks (sweets and crisps also). She had three sons, and they and our 'gang' used to go on the swings and in the paddling pool in Ecc park. I think it could be the same family. You have also brought back memories of that crash on High Greave. I remember it, as one of the men killed was my late Dad's workmate at Smithywood Coking Plant. His name (I think) was Hansel Hawkins. Wasn't it an icy Winter evening? Thanks for jogging my memory.

tonio
17-01-2008, 08:15
I remember all the shops you mention. Before Tingle's had their shop, it was run by Mr Wood, who only had one arm. Filsell's is now a chip shop (had so many owners its beggars belief). The shop at the corner of Mill Road and Church Street was owned by Mrs Hogg (Enid) before Graham and Joyce Stringer had it. In my early days it was Weldon's grocery shop. Sorry, but the only person I knew to have the sweet shop in the cinema building was Mrs Key. She lived at the farm opposite. Mrs Ferris was most likely before her. Sorry, I don't live in Church Street.

Thanks Nigel,Weldons was the name of the shop opposite Park Gates I was trying to remember.We used to buy 5 Robin cigarettes there on our way to Ecclesfield Cinema.Were they related to Weldons farm at top of Priory Rd.
Re shop in cinema building.Mrs Ferris maiden name was Key and she did live in the farm opposite.She is my cousins mum in law and still alive and well and living near Cleethorpes.
I seem to remember another young local lad who was a postman in Ecclesfield called Ivan. Think he was a contempory of yours and lived in the Mill Rd area.

hutch
17-01-2008, 11:02
[QUOTE=hutch;3033668]

Hello hutch. Yes, I would think you are right. When I was in Ecclesfield Junior School, I was in class with a girl called Susan Stonebanks. Her parents had the shop at the beginning of Colley Road, facing down High Greave, which was a greengrocer's and general store. Maybe Mrs Whitham had that shop, as I only remember that one and the Co-Op at the other side of the road (now Park Dental Care). I remember the chip shop too. Later it became a ladies hairdresser's. A Mrs Whitham had a lock up shed in Ecclesfield Park in the 1950's. From it she sold soft drinks and snacks (sweets and crisps also). She had three sons, and they and our 'gang' used to go on the swings and in the paddling pool in Ecc park. I think it could be the same family. You have also brought back memories of that crash on High Greave. I remember it, as one of the men killed was my late Dad's workmate at Smithywood Coking Plant. His name (I think) was Hansel Hawkins. Wasn't it an icy Winter evening? Thanks for jogging my memory.
Hi Nigel, thanks for the information, and Tonio for his, i remember Stonebanks, we had a shopping ordered from there weekly no super markets then ,my older brother delivered meet on a Sat morning for the butcher at the bottom of Tunwell cannot remember the name.

Nigel Womersle
17-01-2008, 12:29
[QUOTE=Nigel Womersle;3035472]
Hi Nigel, thanks for the information, and Tonio for his, i remember Stonebanks, we had a shopping ordered from there weekly no super markets then ,my older brother delivered meet on a Sat morning for the butcher at the bottom of Tunwell cannot remember the name.

hutch, I had forgotten about the butchers shop. I think the name was Barker. If you remember Ecclesfield cinema (another Essoldo), you will remember there being two shops in the frontage. The Barker family had the one on the left, before they moved to High Greave. It was a very small shop, due to the double staircase in the cinema, from balcony to entrance. One part of it led to double doors at the cinema side. The other shop was quite large, as it was a single staircase at that side of the balcony.

Nigel Womersle
17-01-2008, 12:51
Thanks Nigel,Weldons was the name of the shop opposite Park Gates I was trying to remember.We used to buy 5 Robin cigarettes there on our way to Ecclesfield Cinema.Were they related to Weldons farm at top of Priory Rd.
Re shop in cinema building.Mrs Ferris maiden name was Key and she did live in the farm opposite.She is my cousins mum in law and still alive and well and living near Cleethorpes.
I seem to remember another young local lad who was a postman in Ecclesfield called Ivan. Think he was a contempory of yours and lived in the Mill Rd area.

I am not sure whether the Weldon's at the shop were related to the family at Hall Farm, whose eldest son was my age and died an early teenager. Mrs Ferris must have followed Mrs Key into the cinema shop. Mrs Key always dressed in black and had white hair, tied in a bun at the back. Mr Key lost a leg, but it did not stop him doing anything. They were a nice couple, and we always went in the shop before going in the cinema. The shop was a wonderland of chocolate etc. It smelled of chocolate - a pity the ration books were in force during our early days. Mrs Key would slip us a couple of 'spice' though. There's nothing like that here anymore. I wonder what memories the young people today will have. They certainly won't be like we had. Ah well, that's progress. I don't remember Ivan at all, but you are getting there. I almost forgot. Did you know that in the 17/1800's Key's Farm (opposite cinema) was a public house named The Plough, and that there was a Toll Bar on the road outside?

tonio
17-01-2008, 15:25
I am not sure whether the Weldon's at the shop were related to the family at Hall Farm. Their eldest son was my age and died an early teenager. Mrs Ferris must have followed Mrs Key into the cinema shop. Mrs Key always dressed in black and had white hair, tied in a bun at the back. Mr Key lost a leg, but it did not stop him doing anything. They were a nice couple, and we always went in the shop before going in the cinema. The shop was a wonderland of chocolate etc. It smelled of chocolate - a pity the ration books were in force during our early days. Mrs Key would slip us a couple of 'spice' though. There's nothing like that here anymore. I wonder what memories the young people today will have. They certainly won't be like we had. Ah well, that's progress. I don't remember Ivan at all, but you are getting there. I almost forgot. Did you know that in the 17/1800's Key's Farm (opposite cinema) was a public house named The Plough, and that there was a Toll Bar on the road outside?

Hi Nigel,I'll talk to Mrs Ferris the Keys daughter or grandaughter later and see what she knows about "The Plough" She lived in the red bricked house which is now the cattery until about 25 yrs ago
and her father had the farm there or there abouts.
Do you remember the little sweet shop opposite the bottom of Greaves Rd. In the 50s and 60s they sold penny drinks from a soda fountain, but only 1 flavour,a kind of burdoch.

Nigel Womersle
17-01-2008, 23:27
Hi Nigel,I'll talk to Mrs Ferris the Keys daughter or grandaughter later and see what she knows about "The Plough" She lived in the red bricked house which is now the cattery until about 25 yrs ago
and her father had the farm there or there abouts.
Do you remember the little sweet shop opposite the bottom of Greaves Rd. In the 50s and 60s they sold penny drinks from a soda fountain, but only 1 flavour,a kind of burdoch.

Tonio - Yes I do remember the shop opposite Greaves Road. Strangely enough it was Mrs Greaves who kept it. The building itself dates back to the 1400's. The two shops on its front (Mrs Greaves and Miss Siddons) were a much later addition. When you went in Mrs Greaves shop, you had to go down a couple of steps. You'll laugh at this, but at one time, the bedroom floor sloped so much that the bed had to be fastened by a rope to the window frame, to keep it still. It is still a private dwelling. Do you remember the cottage that stood between Key's Farm and the red bricked house, before the present bungalow was built there? My relatives lived in it at one time, but I remember Mr & Mrs Steele living there. Mr & Mrs Salt lived in the red bricked house when I was a kid.

volvoB10M
18-01-2008, 11:35
I attended Ecclesfield Infant school in the early 70s then went on to Ecclesfield Juniors,at the time if im correct was called Ecclesfield Town Junior School.
We use to go apple scromping in the Bells Orchard at the gates of Ecclesfield park (common end).

Built a den behind the advertising boards that were on the wasteland behind the old co op (now Halifax) I remeber the old Euco Market (now new co op).

Remember the old police station on the high street and the old petrol station oposite the post station.
Woodcocks (i think) on stocks hill we use to call it the shorteage shop because the old woman always use to claim whatever you wanted was in short supply.

Spent may saturdays on the putting green in the park and paddling in the sludge in the paddling pool.
When winter came it was out woth the plastic bags for a true ride of death down the hill that was near the park wall,went head first into the stream many times.

These were the days when kids were kids and we knew how to make our own entertainment all you need were plastic bags for the winter and a good bit of rope for the tarzan swing in the summer,,happy days.

hutch
18-01-2008, 12:24
I remember scromping apples from the gardens at the back of Bank house it would be in the school dinner break, we were eating them in the opening at the side of Hobson butchers shop, at that time it was an open yard we could hear the butcher sweeping up and washing the same yard when the next thing a bucket of slops came over the wall
and we were in direct line, maybe he knew we were there?
Sweets came off the ration for the final time 6 Feb 1953 [had been off for a short time a year or 2 before that,i had a shilling [5p] to spend at the shop opposite of the school drive, so Spangles it was i think 4 pkts?

tonio
18-01-2008, 15:26
The shop where you bought your Spangles was Moxons,Hutch.
Nigel..I dont remember any steps down into Mrs Greaves Shop,The people who took over from Greaves were Slacks. Remember Farridy and Slack wallpaper shop(Why go to town when you can get it here) which was just around the corner from Cauldwells and later opposite the police station.They also ran a driving school.Same people.....They retired to Australia in 1969.Who followed them? It finally closed on New Years Eve 1976 when it was compulsory purched along with a lot more of High St.

Nigel Womersle
18-01-2008, 16:11
The shop where you bought your Spangles was Moxons,Hutch.
Nigel..I dont remember any steps down into Mrs Greaves Shop,The people who took over from Greaves were Slacks. Remember Farridy and Slack wallpaper shop(Why go to town when you can get it here) which was just around the corner from Cauldwells and later opposite the police station.They also ran a driving school.Same people.....They retired to Australia in 1969.Who followed them? It finally closed on New Years Eve 1976 when it was compulsory purched along with a lot more of High St.

Tonio. Yes I do remember Slack's having the wallpaper shop in St Mary's Lane. Have you seen it now? - no roof and full of bushes. Evidently it is a listed building and can't be demolished. My first memories of that shop was that it was a Cobbler's. Also at one time, Slacks had the shop opposite the old police station in High Street - bus stop outside. It is now an outbuilding/garage to the house next door. I also remember them having the driving school. Their son William, was in my class at Ecc Junior School. After they left the shop, they moved to High Green. I saw and spoke to them there at Ernest Copley House. Tony Boone and his wife took over the Greaves' shop after them. Do you remember Sam Steele having the beer - off shop next door. I first remember it as Athey's.

Nigel Womersle
18-01-2008, 16:16
I attended Ecclesfield Infant school in the early 70s then went on to Ecclesfield Juniors,at the time if im correct was called Ecclesfield Town Junior School.
We use to go apple scromping in the Bells Orchard at the gates of Ecclesfield park (common end).

Built a den behind the advertising boards that were on the wasteland behind the old co op (now Halifax) I remeber the old Euco Market (now new co op).

Remember the old police station on the high street and the old petrol station oposite the post station.
Woodcocks (i think) on stocks hill we use to call it the shorteage shop because the old woman always use to claim whatever you wanted was in short supply.

Spent may saturdays on the putting green in the park and paddling in the sludge in the paddling pool.
When winter came it was out woth the plastic bags for a true ride of death down the hill that was near the park wall,went head first into the stream many times.

These were the days when kids were kids and we knew how to make our own entertainment all you need were plastic bags for the winter and a good bit of rope for the tarzan swing in the summer,,happy days.

I will show this to Les Bell next time I see him. No doubt, knowing him, it will give him a laugh. Were the apples sour?

tonio
19-01-2008, 00:13
I am not sure whether the Weldon's at the shop were related to the family at Hall Farm, whose eldest son was my age and died an early teenager. Mrs Ferris must have followed Mrs Key into the cinema shop. Mrs Key always dressed in black and had white hair, tied in a bun at the back. Mr Key lost a leg, but it did not stop him doing anything. They were a nice couple, and we always went in the shop before going in the cinema. The shop was a wonderland of chocolate etc. It smelled of chocolate - a pity the ration books were in force during our early days. Mrs Key would slip us a couple of 'spice' though. There's nothing like that here anymore. I wonder what memories the young people today will have. They certainly won't be like we had. Ah well, that's progress. I don't remember Ivan at all, but you are getting there. I almost forgot. Did you know that in the 17/1800's Key's Farm (opposite cinema) was a public house named The Plough, and that there was a Toll Bar on the road outside?

Nigel...Do you live at no 42 on a coloured way,if so IVAN idea who you are.When I was about 10 or 11 I was a pal of Mick Tingle and spent every Saturday down at their shop. Played with Robert Steele Peter Kennedy etc.Also went to JTC/CLB along with Graham Lewis,Jack Robinson,Mick Hanson, Les sorsby etc.By the way the story of the bed being tied to the wall because of the sloping floor was a myth.Honest

volvoB10M
19-01-2008, 10:11
I will show this to Les Bell next time I see him. No doubt, knowing him, it will give him a laugh. Were the apples sour?

No credit to the man they were the finest apples and pears for miles,the trick was to climb through the opening in the wall where the stream went into orchard this combated the black grease that was painted on top of the wall.
We did however suffer many hours of stomach ache after over endulging on his fine crop,but in those days it was about as serious as things got.

Sadly when I visit Ecclesfield now its worlds apart from the place I grew up in most of the things I remember have gone or have changed beyond recognition.
Its many years since I went into the butchers oposite the stocks to gets a bulls eye (god only knows why) or went into marishells and asked for a bag of scraps
No longer would you be able to spend hours exploring on Station Rd in old and abandoned factories,my plastic bag days are long gone and it will be a long dark day before I climb a tree or go on a tarzan swing,all my fruit these days is purchased from the supermarket.

hutch
19-01-2008, 12:00
The book An Ecclesfield Camera, picture memories by JR WRIGLEY ISBN 09534267-9-3 WILL BRING BACK MEMORIES OF THE LATE 50'S 60'S.
Lots of buildings shops etc now gone even though it was not that long ago.

Janner
27-01-2008, 19:45
Is there anyone left who remembers William Green's factory, they made stoves, grates and cooking equipment. My father worked for them all his working life, during the war , he was employed fitting galley equipment into ships.

Nigel Womersle
28-01-2008, 00:37
Is there anyone left who remembers William Green's factory, they made stoves, grates and cooking equipment. My father worked for them all his working life, during the war , he was employed fitting galley equipment into ships.

I remember Greens. It was called The Norfolk Foundry, and was on Station Road. I knew Mr Comport, and his secretary, Miss Flatman. I also knew the receptionist - Miss Maggie Bailey.

awoollen
28-01-2008, 09:12
i do used to deliver milk there used to go in one gate and out of another as the entrances was only wide enought for one veicle at a time

Nigel Womersle
16-02-2008, 18:56

Does anyone remember Maurice Lee working at Green's? He is my Uncle.

Rebina
26-02-2008, 22:05
Does anyone remember Maurice Lee working at Green's? He is my Uncle.

My Dad remembers Maurice Lee, says he last saw him a couple of years ago and thinks he lives in High Green.

Unregistered
27-02-2008, 04:34
Henry Corker with his pony and trap, racing around Ecco at night.

He once took a horse in the Ball Inn for a bet.

mikomi
23-03-2008, 21:44
Just dropped by this thread ,does any one recall a family called Duckwell !!!!.I think Mrs Duckwell was a secretary at Ecclesfield school .

Nigel Womersle
25-03-2008, 09:16
Just dropped by this thread ,does any one recall a family called Duckwell !!!!.I think Mrs Duckwell was a secretary at Ecclesfield school .

Are you confusing the name with Dunwell?

mikomi
25-03-2008, 20:29
Are you confusing the name with Dunwell?

Possibly, if i remember there was also a daughter, i think her name was Aldwith /Oldwith not sure.!!!!

whitehorses
25-03-2008, 22:51
Can anyone remember an old nun that performed good works etc in Ecclesfield?She was called 'Deaconess Green'?

Nigel Womersle
25-03-2008, 23:45
Can anyone remember an old nun that performed good works etc in Ecclesfield?She was called 'Deaconess Green'?

I knew Deaconess quite well. She lived in the Old Hall with her sister. She died in 1975. She wasn't a Nun though. Today she would have most likely been a Vicar. She was the Granddaughter of William Green, founder of Green's Foundry. As you say, she did perform a lot of good work in the locality. The family home was Primrose Cottage in High Street. Long since demolished by our caring council. Today it would have a preservation order on it.

Nigel Womersle
25-03-2008, 23:47
Possibly, if i remember there was also a daughter, i think her name was Aldwith /Oldwith not sure.!!!!

The Dunwell family had a grocery shop at 61 High Street - demolished to make way for Marlfield Croft. I only remember Audrey.

stevew
26-03-2008, 06:42
Deaconess Green used to visit Rawsons Infants & Ecclesfield Junior where I attended.
I think Dunwells shop was owned by two brothers and their wives.I also think Cassons owned it before them.

fleetwood
28-03-2008, 07:20
My grandparents lived in Ecclesfield in the late 40's and i know i went to live with them at some point and i went to school there for a while. My grandfather was a foreman builder and i believe built the house, wether it still stands today i dont know, iremember a little toy shop on the right hand side if you had Lane top behind you and who remembers Hulleys ice cream garden the ice cream had its own distinctive flavour and i think they used to supply to other shops, i know it was around for a few years but dont know how or when they went out of business, perhaps somebody could shed some light.

fleetwood
28-03-2008, 07:25
My grandparents lived in Ecclesfield in the late 40's and i know i went to live with them at some point and i went to school there for a while. My grandfather was a foreman builder and i believe built the house, wether it still stands today i dont know, iremember a little toy shop on the right hand side if you had Lane top behind you and who remembers Hulleys ice cream garden the ice cream had its own distinctive flavour and i think they used to supply to other shops, i know it was around for a few years but dont know how or when they went out of business, perhaps somebody could shed some light

Nigel Womersle
29-03-2008, 12:16
What was your Grandfather's name please? Hulleys stopped trading years ago.

yesugei
29-03-2008, 14:47
I too remember Mrs Catlin. She lived at 15 Cross Hill. As you say, her chips were brilliant. She had a terrific sense of humour, and knew just how to deal with the drinkers who went into the chippie. Everyone liked her. I remember Harry Wilson too, and his wife. I believe he had to have a leg amputated. The fruit and veg shop was just opposite the Ball Inn before being demolished for the new stretch of road. Also all the old cottages around there. I do remember something about the lady at the fruit shop being in the newspaper when I was a paper lad, but in all honesty I cannot remember what for. The Sportsman at one time, was known as 'Mary's House' - its landlady being Mrs Mary Beard. There was a Tannery next to it too (before my time). My Dad was cousin to Harry Rusby (who's family lived in Bank House. Later Harry and his wife Muriel turned it into The Regency). I spent many hours in the gardens there. It was a fantastic house - so ornate inside. You are right about the penny Hovis loaves - they were really nice - a complete miniature loaf. The Regency is still there, but has been extended and become the Regency Court (flats). There was an old farm opposite Bank House. It was on the site which Dearden Court now occupies.

Is the chippy everyone is talking about the wooden hut opposite the nurses home. Chipppy? wooden hut? can that be right? It's what I remember. They were great chips but that is a long time ago, early fifties.

Magjim
12-04-2008, 17:25
I remember working with three bachelor brothers at Greens foundry in the early 70's. They were John, Henry, and Albert Higgins. They all lived in the same house in the Strawberry Avenue area. The manager at that time was Tommy Parkinson who I think played in the band. Top bloke was Tommy, a true gentleman.

Just joined this site. Interested in your comments about William Greens and the mention of Tommy Parkinson. Tommy is my husband's cousin and is sitting in our lounge at this very moment. He is now 92 and still loves his music. He was a member of Ecclesfield Band for many years. He remembers the Higgins brothers very well. He still lives in Ecclesfield.

Nigel Womersle
12-04-2008, 18:13
Just joined this site. Interested in your comments about William Greens and the mention of Tommy Parkinson. Tommy is my husband's cousin and is sitting in our lounge at this very moment. He is now 92 and still loves his music. He was a member of Ecclesfield Band for many years. He remembers the Higgins brothers very well. He still lives in Ecclesfield.

Say hello to him for me. He knows me. He is an excellent pianist.

Janner
12-04-2008, 20:07

My father Ernest Miller worked for Green's all his working life. In the late forties one of his work mates was Athol Higgins, he had a brother Doug who was in the Merchant Navy. Are these Higgins related to yours?

Magjim
12-04-2008, 21:25
Say hello to him for me. He knows me. He is an excellent pianist.

Tommy remembers your name but can't place where you met. Were you in Ecclesfield Band?

Nigel Womersle
13-04-2008, 00:27
Tommy remembers your name but can't place where you met. Were you in Ecclesfield Band?

No, not the band. I was in Ecclesfield Priory Players for many years. I was also his postman. I knew his sister Freda. The Parkinsons and Whithams were well known Ecclesfield people. I am Kate and Colin Hoyland's nephew.

Magjim
13-04-2008, 10:17
No, not the band. I was in Ecclesfield Priory Players for many years. I was also his postman. I knew his sister Freda. The Parkinsons and Whithams were well known Ecclesfield people. I am Kate and Colin Hoyland's nephew.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will pass the information on to Tommy and Freda when I next see them and let you know the results

tonio
13-04-2008, 14:31
My father Ernest Miller worked for Green's all his working life. In the late forties one of his work mates was Athol Higgins, he had a brother Doug who was in the Merchant Navy. Are these Higgins related to yours?

Athol Higgings is alive and well and still living in Ecclesfield. He also was a longtime bandsman but with Chapeltown Band.

tonio
14-04-2008, 09:52

Hi Janner
Sent you a pm

Magjim
20-04-2008, 12:32
Thanks for the prompt reply. I will pass the information on to Tommy and Freda when I next see them and let you know the results

Spoke to Freda on the phone today, she remembers you very well. Told me she worked with your mother, Madge. She now lives in Jump.

Magjim
20-04-2008, 12:34

Spoke to Freda on the phone this morning. She remembers you very well, told me she used to work with your mother Madge. Freda now lives in Jump

Nigel Womersle
20-04-2008, 15:44
Spoke to Freda on the phone this morning. She remembers you very well, told me she used to work with your mother Madge. Freda now lives in Jump

Hi. Yes, you are spot on. Freda was a friend of my Mother and a couple of her sisters. I used to go to her house when she and Bernard lived in the old cottages in St Mary's Lane (what a fantastic old building (15C) that was). Then again when they moved to the top of the Ladycroft. I also knew Adrian and Ivan.

Harleyman
20-04-2008, 17:27
Anyone who lives in Ecclesfield know the Moss family. If I remember correctly they owned either a green grocery or a general grocery store on the High street just below the Wheel. Their son Barry Moss was head prefect at the school I used to attend.
My sister and I used to go to piano lessons at miss Gillot's house on the Wheel opposite a cricket ground. This was back in 1954 so the old memory might be a bit hazy. At that time they still had gas lighting in the house. I found out a while back that this lady had passed on several years ago. I was over in England last September and taking a trip down memory lane and on one occasion stopped off to take a look at St Mary's church. There were several local people in the church and I asked one of them if he had known Ida Gillot. Turned out he was a cousin of hers.
There must be a lot of families in Ecclesfield who go back many generations.
Sort of a comforting thought in this modern turbulent world.

Alligin
20-04-2008, 19:10
Hi all
does anyone know what the significance of the stone faces arranged in the shape of a cross, which are built into the wall on Church Street. These are situated on the same side as the church but about 25mtrs from the junction with Mill Road, going up the hill.

Basalt
21-04-2008, 22:44
This hasn't been mentioned yet. Mr Creaser's blacksmiths on The Common, next to The Travellers. Another craft now lost to the village, Mr Creaser and Tom his son ran the blacksmiths, shoed horses and created wrought ironwork. When you walked past you could tell by the smell what work was being undertaken at the time.

tonio
26-04-2008, 11:37
Hi all
does anyone know what the significance of the stone faces arranged in the shape of a cross, which are built into the wall on Church Street. These are situated on the same side as the church but about 25mtrs from the junction with Mill Road, going up the hill.

I lived in Ecclesfield for 50yrs and until yesterday had never noticed the faces before.
Perhaps Nigel,who has lived nearby all his life,can help?

Blackbeard
26-04-2008, 12:30
I lived in Ecclesfield for 50yrs and until yesterday had never noticed the faces before.
Perhaps Nigel,who has lived nearby all his life,can help?

I believe the heads are quite modern. A few years ago that part of the wall was rebuilt and the craftsman signed his work in a very nice way, hence the heads.

Nigel Womersle
26-04-2008, 17:23
I believe the heads are quite modern. A few years ago that part of the wall was rebuilt and the craftsman signed his work in a very nice way, hence the heads.

I think you have just about hit it there. The wall did fall of its own accord. You now see the results of the rebuild. An interesting fact is that a few hundred years ago, the entrance to the then vicarage drive was where those heads are in the wall. I can't wait to see the Jeffcock Fountain which used to be in the park, back in its proper original place - the niche in the churchyard wall at the top of Church Street where the bus stop used to be.

Later addition. The Council (City/Parish) has missed the target with the Jeffcock Fountain. Instead of replacing it in its rightful position, it has been sited at the corner of Priory Road and Church Street in the old Churchyard. When the fountain was first erected over a hundred years ago, a large semi circled niche was made in the Churchyard wall to house it. When the fountain was moved into the park, the niche was empty for many years, before various bus shelters were sited. It's empty again. Great planning.

twinky1
26-04-2008, 21:07

Yes you are right,the craftsmans name is Andrew Vickers.

Alligin
27-04-2008, 10:52
Hi all
and thanks to everyone for the information on the heads in the wall and twinky for the craftsman name. I can now walk past them without all those nagging thoughts.