View Full Version : Cash Machine not giving me my money!

Zimily
14-12-2007, 16:36
I went to the cash machine on my way home from work and tried to withdraw 50. When it spurted out my card it didn't give me any money.

So I thought I'd try the machine again. This time I asked for 20 (dunno why I thought it'd work if I asked for less money :confused:). It took ages to process and then said something like "sorry, this machine cannot currently process this request".

So I left and came home. After checking my account it showed that 50 had been withdrawn but I didn't get it!! I called my bank who then said that if there was a fault with the cash machine it will show at close of business and my 50 will be refunded but could take up to 2 days? They then said that if it isn't refunded by then to call back and it will go to the disputes department to see if is refunded.

At this point I understand not much can be done but it's alot of money and it's Christmas - it's much needed money!

I wondered if anyone else has had this experience and will I get my money back? I'm a little worried and can't stop thinking about it :(

Oh and before anyone says why didn't I go in the bank, when a similar thing has happend before my account has not had anything taken from it so I assumed it'd be ok

Jay69
14-12-2007, 17:20
The banks are allways ripping us off in one way or another

40summat
14-12-2007, 17:33
This happened to me Zimily, it showed up as a withdrawl on my account.
I checked my account on-line later and it had been put back on the same day.
I'm with Lloyds TSB and i tried to take money from a different banks atm, i'd think your money will be safe.

jen13kd
14-12-2007, 17:41
if it takes a couple of day to process the refund then I'd say that you are well within your rights to go through the complaint procedure to try and get some compensation. I'm sure if you demand 25 compo for the inconvenience they'll do it. I got 15 compo from hsbc because someone cut me off when I rang their call centre.......!

Bizzy_Lizzy
14-12-2007, 17:47
This has happened to me before the bank refunded the money a few days later with no problems suppose it depends on the bank, I'm with Halifax

InvalidUser
14-12-2007, 20:12
The banks are allways ripping us off in one way or another
That's most enlightening, thanks.

On the occasions this has happened to me the money has been credited back to my account without me having to do anything.

dan2802
14-12-2007, 20:20
this happened to me 6 weeks ago and i'm still waiting for the outcome of my 'dispute investigation'.
what dispute?, the machine ripped off my 100.
hoping to hear something next week.

InvalidUser
14-12-2007, 20:21
this happened to me 6 weeks ago and i'm still waiting for the outcome of my 'dispute investigation'.
Sorry to hear you have had problems, what bank was it?

dan2802
14-12-2007, 20:26
Sorry to hear you have had problems, what bank was it?
the cash machine was (i think) the co-op next to the richmond pub.
my bank is first direct.
i consider myself very fortunate that the missing 100 doesnt wipe me out espesially(sp) as christmas is only a week away.
bl00dy annoying though.

mrth
14-12-2007, 20:26
two things will happen. The cash machine acts like a till and if there is too much money left in it when it is emptyed at the end of the day this is logged then when you complain to your bank they will make an enquirey to the bank with the cash machine and ask if they had a descrpency that day if it 50 or however much you are claiming it will get re-funded no question asked. it's only if there was no descrepncy or if two people are claiming the same amount it will need to go through a full depute

Zimily
14-12-2007, 22:35

Good luck with that. I've spoken to my friend who had the same problem, she turned round to her bank and told them to check the CCTV tapes where she tried to get her money out - then they could clearly see she didn't get anything.

I can understand it necessary banks have to check things out, it's just such an inconvienience and a worry :(

DIVA
15-12-2007, 01:18
the cash machine was (i think) the co-op next to the richmond pub.
my bank is first direct.
i consider myself very fortunate that the missing 100 doesnt wipe me out espesially(sp) as christmas is only a week away.
bl00dy annoying though.

that's disgusting. Can't you contact the star's action desk?

*Peaches*
15-12-2007, 09:18
It happened to me last year with a yorkshire bank machine. It took about a fortnight but I got it back

Zimily
15-12-2007, 11:03
It happened to me last year with a yorkshire bank machine. It took about a fortnight but I got it back

Mine was with a Yorkshire Bank Machine too. It's still not been refunded so I'm expecting this to go to disputes now. Great.

SYorksDeano
15-12-2007, 15:41
It's happened to me uite a few times. The money has always gone back in though within 24 hours

Zimily
22-12-2007, 02:04
I got my money back...:D

dan2802
22-12-2007, 16:49
I got my money back...:D
me too...............eventually.

andco
22-12-2007, 18:37
I wonder how much money the banks actually pay out for problems of this nature just to keep people quiet and maintain confidence in the convenience of ATMs. :)

JoeP
22-12-2007, 20:53
I've experienced this on a few occasions over the years. the last time it happened I asked for 50 and I received 30. As this was out of banking hours I cursed and went home, checked my Internet banking and found that the correction had alrady been made.

AFAIK the machines check what they dispense, and used to not give cash if they couldn't meet the full amount of your transaction. I guess today soem of them are a bit brighter.

gatecrasher3
23-12-2007, 09:59
I wonder how much money the banks actually pay out for problems of this nature just to keep people quiet and maintain confidence in the convenience of ATMs. :)

None if they have any sense!

ATM's are merely machines and like any machine unfortunately are prone to failures from time to time. The banks have procedures in place which ensures any discrepancies are resolved.

I wonder how many people would be complaining if they received more cash than they asked for?