Churchill tank goes AWOL from Chapeltown!

trying to locate a tank monument/sculpture in the chapeltown area, would be most grateful for any help

It's here at Thorncliffe on the Newton Chambers Estate. It used to be Ransomes & Rapier crane factory, and they built Churchill Tanks in WW2.

Funnily enough my Grandmother used to drive the factory overhead crane during the war, and my Grandfather drove Churchill Tanks in the desert! It's known in Chapeltown as the Tank Factory for obvious reasons.

The tank is actually a real Churchill Tank.

if you come out of chapletown towards barnsley on station rd past shops etc just before you turn uo hill turn left towards industrial estate and new housing follow under bridge you come to a small roundabout turn rifht up towards motorway it is on your left on a grass banking

:thumbsup:

many thanks, taking part in a landmarks event, will travel down from preston later today for this one. thanks again

Never Knew About The Tank Monument Until I Saw It On That Fred Dibnah Programme A Couple Of Months Ago.Must Go And Have A Look One Day.

ello everyone, does anyone know where the churchil mk5 has gone?

i've been going passed the old monster for years and its dissapeared, hope someone can help. :)

andy

Has it really gone? I had not realised !

ello everyone, does anyone know where the churchil mk5 has gone?

i've been going passed the old monster for years and its dissapeared, hope someone can help. :)

andy

Probably on it's way to Afghanistan :|

well i was up there yesterday to take some photo's and all there were left were the base fastening rods :(

It's here at Thorncliffe on the Newton Chambers Estate. It used to be Ransomes & Rapier crane factory, and they built Churchill Tanks in WW2.

Funnily enough my Grandmother used to drive the factory overhead crane during the war, and my Grandfather drove Churchill Tanks in the desert! It's known in Chapeltown as the Tank Factory for obvious reasons.

The tank is actually a real Churchill Tank.

Blooming heck, how inaccurate is that link?, it's about an inch to the right of that circle :hihi:

Well it was accurate once.. in 2004 :D Can you imagine me not using Google Earth or MS Live these days ? :D