Charter Row roadworks - what are they doing?

Guest Guest

I have heard rumours that is being turned into single lane and that there is going to be a bus station built there.

I have had a look round the net and couldn't find anything useful, any of yous know what they are doing here? :?

It *was* pretty much the only road in the city centre that didn't have traffic jams all day long, I guess this is why the council felt they had to mess with a perfectly good road... :x

I was thinking the same myself, can't think of any reason they would want or need to tear up the road.

Pretty much all of the city centre roads are inadequate for the amount of traffic that uses them.

Guest Guest

A number of roads in that area are being downgraded

I think the council's point of view is that the roads are inadequate, but for pedestrians, not cars. It's a fair point - walking along or across those dual carriageways into the centre is a lousy experience. It would be good if they'd consider where the traffic is going to go and where the people in the cars are going to go (Meadowhall, probably), but from the point of view of improving the city for people walking about it it should make things better.

I get my road names muddled up but am assuming you mean the one that runs past Atkinsons. I was most suprised to see a bus heading straight towards me the other day. What's going to happen to the other side of the road?? There were plans made a while back about making four or so small bus stations through the city and getting rid of the not so old Ponds Street station. They may have thier reasons but I feel that yet again money was, or at least is now going to be wasted by getting rid of the perfectly good 'transport interchange' that we allready have.

We are to have our ring road completed round the Wicker and now it seems are to have raods into the city centre downgraded but it wont change the fact that people will allways want to drive into the city centre. There will allways be conjestion and there will allways be people driving in slow circles looking for parking spaces. If public transport is to be the only way into town it will have to get alot better and it will have to fit in with catering for car drivers. Personally, and I hate this, I just don't have time to get the bus, I need to be in and out of town in half an hour and currently, despite various problems, driving is still the best way.

Also reckon the council or police or who ever should stop more people from using bus lanes, it really ****** me off and they could get some money out of these impatient selfish drivers.

In one town, can't remember which one it was, buses and some bus stops had cameras in them, with a sign alongside saying something along the lines of:

"smile please for the camera, for you won't be when you get a £40 fine through your letterbox for driving in a bus lane"

!

Originally posted by "alchresearch"

In one town, can't remember which one it was, buses and some bus stops had cameras in them, with a sign alongside saying something along the lines of:

"smile please for the camera, for you won't be when you get a £40 fine through your letterbox for driving in a bus lane"

!

That scheme sounds fantastic! It seems that some people must be more important, have busier lifestyles than mere mortals, or use bus lanes "because that last guy did!"

Are taxis allowed to use bus lanes, or is it just black cabs... or neither.

One thing worth a mention is why people DON'T use bus lanes at the times they're NOT in use, eg 9.30am to 4.30pm, 6.30pm to 8.00am? :wink:

I think its going to be one lane either way, taking the old car park bridge down, making it tree lined, filling in the subway and putting pedestrian crossings in.

They want to make a direct link between the Moor and the Devonshire Quarter.

SCC have got £27M or Euro money to put into the Devonshire Qrtr and surrounding area in the next few yrs. They will be no doubt sprucing up the are by compulsory purchasing and raising old ugly bldgs to the ground.

I work 50 yds away from the works. It shouldnt affect the traffic a massive amount aside from Saturdays.

I cant condemn it as this area needs improving.

Hopefully they will be finished soon.

Can't say I'm too worried about town centre road works. The council has created such a mess of the town centre that in the not so distant future, hardly anyone will want to go there during the day. Meadowhall has everything the city centre doesn't: Its clean, relatively safe, has free parking, and a good selection of shops. Don't know why anybody would want to pay to park their car in Sheffield centre - unless like me you work there!

:- unless like me you work there!

Ah well. Selling the big issue is a start in sales!....Look on the bright side!:hihi::hihi:

T

Are taxis allowed to use bus lanes, or is it just black cabs... or neither.

Hackney (Black) cabs and private hire vehicles are allowed in bus lanes in Sheffield.