What year were bus conductors abolished?

Does anyone know exactly what year were bus conductors were abolished by South Yorkshire Transport?

I asked my dad, who worked for SYT for many years, but unfortunatly he cannot remember.

He thinks it would have been around 1983, but isn't sure of the exact year.

I stopped using buses when I went away to uni and then came back and got a car, but I can remember conductors in 1987 on busy buses in Sheffield.

I would have been very young but I can't seem to remember them after 1985.

1983 sounds way too early

I'm not sure about when SYT aboloshed conductors, but as far as I'm aware the last regular conductor operated bus in Sheffield was run by East Midland in 1990 on a service which started at the interchange and ran to the National Tramway Museum at Crich.

It last ran in October 1990 (Routemaster RM10 being the vehicle) and a girl called Andrea Heath was the Conductress on that occasion.

The last conductors were 1986, I think on the 82, 83 etc routes. One man operators were introduced gradually on the less busy routes, then the entire network changed over gradually. The very busy routes like those mentioned were left untill the last, and were helped, on changeover by machines like the "Videmat" which made loading of the bus much quicker.

We should lament the passing of the conductor.

Bus journeys are a lot slower now that the bus is static for so long at each stop. And who'd be a driver now with no back-up and money handling added to the traffic hastle.

All hail the bus drivers.

I think they should think about bringing conductors back. It would make journeys so much quicker with the bus driver not having to mess around with money and also perhaps it would make the bus journeys a little safer for the driver and passengers.

What do you say? Shall we start a petition?

It was a sad day when bus conductors were finally phased out.

I remember being fascinated as a kid by the ticket machines and I loved the open back buses

http://www.hpac.org.uk/cgi-bin/hpac.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.id=584

http://www.hpac.org.uk/cgi-bin/hpac.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.id=5083