Native Americans in Sheffield?

Does anyone know anything of the following..?

a red indian chief who licked the cataracts off peoples eyes...

A well known west indian boxer who was killed on a motorbike at the five arches

The douglas house of wonders in CASTLETON(i THINK)

These and many others were told to me by my late father.I think(with the execption of the house of wonders) they happened around the 1930s

A well known west indian boxer who was killed on a motorbike at the five arches

The douglas house of wonders in CASTLETON(i THINK)

These and many others were told to me by my late father.I think(with the execption of the house of wonders) they happened around the 1930s

Shame on you.

Red Indian indeed!

This race were the original settlers of N America.

'Red Indian' was a name given by the ignorant colonists and should be consigned to the scrap book of history.

I would hope that we in the 21 st century realise that this derogatory term is no longer applicable.

Over here in Canada they are referred to as 'First Nations'

Settle down there, Dex. I'm sure there's no malice behind chrinsy's choice of words. You could be a little less aggressive in trying to correct him?

I do seem to remember that sometime around the turn of the last century, Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show came to Sheffield.

One of the native-American indians died while here in Sheffield, and was buried in Wardsend cemetery. (I wonder if that is the OP's link to the native-American dying at the Five-Arches?)

Wow this could revolutionise the Health Service.

However I always thought that cataracts were inside the eye, on the lens. As such I'm not sure they could be licked off.

Doctor's surgery..... "Right Mrs Johnson, you've got cataracts, just sit still and my colleague Dr Chief Sitting Bull is going to give your eyes a good licking... Mrs Johnson... come back Mrs Johnson...."

I do seem to remember that sometime around the turn of the last century, Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show came to Sheffield.

One of the native-American indians died while here in Sheffield, and was buried in Wardsend cemetery. (I wonder if that is the OP's link to the native-American dying at the Five-Arches?)

Talking to the people from the Friends of Wardsend Cemetery convinced me that the idea that he was buried in that cemetery is a myth. He certainly existed - his name was Eagle Star and he died in August 1891 in the Infirmary. By the time he died the Show had left Sheffield. The body was taken south and, I'm told, was buried in Bromley (or was it Brompton?) which was the main base for the Show while it was in England. I also understand that his remains were exumed not many years ago and reburied in a tribal area in the States.

There is an interesting reference to this man in an article called

'Sherlock Holmes and the Red Indians'

Hugh

I'm with sweetdexter. "Red Indian" is just as derogratory to the recipient as the "n" word would be to someone of African ancestory. But I think there may be a lack of awareness over in the UK about North American First Nations people. During a recent visit, I had cause to explain to someone who used the term during a conversation that among other things, the term "red" is inappropriate because the skin color is not red. She was surprised to hear it. I think using appropriate terminology in referring to racial groups is only polite. It goes beyond political correctness.

I'm with sweetdexter. "Red Indian" is just as derogratory to the recipient as the "n" word would be to someone of African ancestory. But I think there may be a lack of awareness over in the UK about North American First Nations people. During a recent visit, I had cause to explain to someone who used the term during a conversation that among other things, the term "red" is inappropriate because the skin color is not red. She was surprised to hear it. I think using appropriate terminology in referring to racial groups is only polite. It goes beyond political correctness.

You're totally right - not disagreeing with Dex either, but as you say, it's an awareness thing and since many people in the UK are not exposed to native Americans on a regular basis, maybe we can educate without laying the smack down?

I was fortunate that we were taught the history of the American west at school - in Sheffield. I was incensed at the treatment of the indiginous peoples and went on to read many books outside of the curriculum (including classics such as Bury my heart at wounded knee and Trail of tears). It's a sad tale that's made even sadder that in these 'enlightened times', many people of the first nations are living in poverty and have the highest incidence of suicide among any group in North America (of course there are some tribes that have done exceedingly well out of gambling).

Anyway - end of thread derail...just feel there's no need for jumping down throats...unless someone is talking to Mikey10 and then I'm all for it. ;)

You make a good point, headup. Because we may be more sensitive over here regarding how we refer to our indigenous peoples, doesn't necessarily mean we can be proud of how we've treated them. We have a long way to go in that regard. Never hurts to maintain respect, so I'll let my previous comments stand and the additional point you make is well taken.

Back on thread here - I seem to remember a something house of wonders and in Castleton. Wasn't a large piece of the display/artifacts to do with Harry Houdini who had been a friend of the owner??

Can't say I remember any Native American chiefs or otherwise, but It's possible that the boxer you refer to was Ray Ashley. He got killed back in the 50's, I knew him for years, he worked down the pit for a while. I dont know if he was born in Sheffield but he always seemed to be around when we were kids together. Bit of a hardcase, didn't like the police, but believe me, he was a great guy.