Recycled toilet paper - why's it such a pain in the whatsit?!

I really don't understand why manufacturers can't seem to make recycled toilet paper as soft as the less environmentally friendly, non-recycled stuff. Take ASDA's own brand 'Shades', for example, which comes from managed sources and is in my opinion the best loo roll out there as far as comfort of use is concerned, compared to TESCO's own brand 'Recycled Toilet Tissue', which may be "squeezable", but just isn't as soft and is only 2-ply instead of 3-ply.

Surely they should be encouraging people to use recycled paper, not putting them off by making it thinner and less comfortable to use. I wonder if there is good reason why the recycled version always seems to be of a lesser quality, especially when you pay just as much and sometimes more for it? :confused:

Come on folks - say something! I'm being serious here!

Maybe this company have the right way of approaching the problem?!.....(the 4th one down the list)

I used to use that "kittensoft" paper until eventually I realised it was actually much more environmentally friendly to wipe my backside with a real life kitten.

I used to use that "kittensoft" paper until eventually I realised it was actually much more environmentally friendly to wipe my backside with a real life kitten.

That's ok, until it gets it's claws out! Ouchy! :hihi: Not so environmentally friendly then, eh? - which is a good point......what does 'environmentally friendly' really mean? On the one hand, it can mean to be concerned about the impact manufacture has on 'the environment' at large - forests, wildlife habitats, toxins in the water supply, global warming etc. - but on the other hand, there is the more personal environment - whether or not an individual is comfortably able to use a product and the matter of personal freedom of choice. Should we forgo personal comfort for the greater good or does it not really make much difference whether we do or not, at the end of the day?

i'll tell you what feels worse than recycled it's that aloe vera stuff. thought it might be comforting during a recent "episode". not.

bring back newspaper in the outdoor privy i say.

i'll tell you what feels worse than recycled it's that aloe vera stuff. thought it might be comforting during a recent "episode". not.

bring back newspaper in the outdoor privy i say.

I've not tried any of the fancy perfumed, lotion-filled stuff myself and I don't intend to. If I want lotion/balm, I'll apply it. As for newspaper - it's still an option if you really wanted to use it!

Outdoor privvies, yes, I like outside loos too. I'm lucky, mine's out by the back door and the one upstairs has no heating and I leave the window open, so suits me!

From an environmental point of view, I think the Victorians had a great thing going with the earth/composting loos. You can buy modern, odour-free composting loos for inside the house now, but they're quite large and cost a bomb.

I still want to know why recycled loo paper is never as soft as non-recycled.....

Whatever happened to Izal toilet paper?

It used to be like using wallpaper,but it was great for wrapping round a comb to play tunes!!

It used to be like using wallpaper,but it was great for wrapping round a comb to play tunes!!

Was that before or after you'd wiped?

Izal - the toilet paper they should have named Beelzebub! The only one that would guarantee to channel residual wee straight down onto your hand.

One of my Grandads used to use Izal Medicated - omg, waxy and completely useless on one side, sharp and painful on the other! The only way that stuff can be used is to scrunch it lots, really hard, first. They still sell it in ASDA, I noticed the other day! Is it made from recycled materials though?

I remember when re-cycled loo paper first came out back in the 1980's.....can't remember the company but the paper was grey!!!!

You know the same shade of grey you get when you mulch up newspaper to make papier mache!

It wasn't as soft as the softer paper but I am a child of the 1950's (well before Andrex) and believe me ANYTHING is better than that Izal which was the only option back then.

But we bought the grey stuff....simply because in the 1980's the fashion for coloured bath suites was still in (remember avocado and pampas green:gag:).....well we had chosen a nice new sophisticated grey bathroom suite and the recycled loo roll matched a treat...our choice was nothing to do with being environmentally friendly at all. :D