Deaf social Group - would anyone be interested?

Hi there,

im a hearing person who learns sign language and want to set up a group for deaf people. This group could be any thing to a support group a social group or any thing that tickles your fancy.

Serious to fun or games you choose.

Tallie :)

I'd be interested in a computer club for deaf people, being deaf myself.

I used to go to one years ago at the deaf club on Surrey St in Town, it was great, did programming on an old BBC Micro.

I'm learning to sign and am newly enrolled on OCN level 2. It's obvious that to really progress I need to get to a Deaf Club, but the one I know about is on a Wednesday and that's my late night at work. I'd really be interested in a signing group on the North side of Sheffield, with other learners and/or deaf signers.

Hi there,

im a hearing person who learns sign language and want to set up a group for deaf people. This group could be any thing to a support group a social group or any thing that tickles your fancy.

Serious to fun or games you choose.

Tallie :)

How about a deaf meet???? Perhaps an initial social evening where interested people could meet up....have a drink and share skills and use our sign language, meet and make new friends. Both Rich and I have organised meets before (OK I organised just the one last week but for my first it wasn't bad) so I am sure we can show you how to organise a meet.

It might be easier to determine what sort of group we all were looking for....IMHO this would be much better done face to face rather than just posting on here....just a suggestion. :D

Whatever you decide I would be interested in a group/meets.

Hi there,

i aggree that not much can get sorted on here but dont want to publicly post my number. my private email is [email protected]. Im open to suggestions of what the club does but it would have to be some thing where we could go and do it as dont get funding all though if it did get up and running could be a possiblity we could one day.

Please email me on my email address if you wanna discuss more in depth.

Thank you for your replies

Hi there,

iv been on holiday and very ill but i was thinking of starting the thread again to get more people along! so look out for it and join in =)

Hi there,

I would love to start a group where we do some sort of activity whether it be games or some thing diffrent every week in January!

From my last thread iv decided it will either be at sheffield top working mans club or the Bath hotel on west street ( all thanks to Dawn who has been brilliant) Iv not chosen yet to see what is more suitable for the people replying!!

If you are interested what so ever but have reservations please feel free to email me and we can try and see where im going wrong, my email is [email protected].

I feel there is a lack of groups getting hearing and deaf together and feel this would be a bridge for both. I do how ever think its important that the deaf people will get the most out of this group as that was my primary reason for trying to set this up.

Any way hope to hear from you all =)

It sounds good, you ought to ask the mods to make this a "sticky" in the disabilities section. I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy a meet like this. I would!

What day are you intending to hold these get-togethers?

Personally speaking, city centre (the bath hotel) would suit me, rather than sheffield (lane?) top WMC.

I'm hearing, BTW, but I can do some sign.

I would be interest i have family who are deaf and it looks like ive got some hearing loss too. i would like to learn sign language to help all around.

I posted a link to the thread in the Disability & Carers' group, but didn't want to sticky it until there was bit more interest. It might be better to keep this in the main bit for now though to garner more interest.

Pinkdusts, when you've got something started, or at least a first meeting date, could you PM me and I'll sticky a link to it.

Ta.

Slightly off subject, but I wondered, do you happen to know who DOKKLUXX is on here? I posted a few months ago about wanting to learn sign language one to one and he gave me lots of advice. I think he himself was deaf and worked for someone who was also deaf. He promised to get back to me with more information, but I didn't hear from him and when I've looked him up again his posts are down to 0. (I presume that means he's no longer a member?)