Hagg House Allotments

Does anyone know why Hagg House Allotments (sometimes called Hagg Hill 2) are so derelict and unoccupied, whereas Hagg Hill are not?

We recently got a map of available allotments from the council. Hagg House are the most convenient vacant ones for us, and there is one which we fancy... but, essentially, they are almost all (98%) vacant, with years of overgrowth. Should we, too, avoid them?

Any theories/knowledge?

Jim

An allotment is a personal place, a bit like your home and if you get one in bad condition then make it a task to put it right and more importantly design it to what you want.

Start at one side and work down, theres no great rush to finish it overnight and you could make it your haven.

Many have there own sheds built out of old bricks with a comfy chair and a fire in for those cooler mornings.

Regarding the location its a prime spot for allotments so i would approach the council as they have an allotment section and they will advise you.

While i,m on the subject a friend is selling his allotment at Southall in Beighton for £150. Ground rent is £10 a year.

Hi, Cycleracer.

I agree with all you say about allotments, and look forward to having one again.

The mystery here is why this particular set of allotments are almost all abandoned, when nearby ones are, as you say, sought-after. It could be because there's almost no housing in the valley-bottom, or perhaps that there are no services or management of this particular set of allotments.

We can take one there today by sending our little acceptance form back - but are hesitant, in case the reason for their dereliction is something more serious.

Jim

Originally posted by jimS

We recently got a map of available allotments from the council. Hagg House are the most convenient vacant ones for us, and there is one which we fancy... but, essentially, they are almost all (98%) vacant, with years of overgrowth. Should we, too, avoid them?

Any theories/knowledge?

Jim

sorry can't help you with your query, but could you post details of who you got in touch with to get an allotment. It's something I keep thinking about doing myself.

Thanks

Nomme

Nomme:

You need to contact the Allotments Office. If you tell them the area(s) you are looking in, they will send you a map of the allotment area with vacant/occupied lots marked.

Tel: (0114) 273 4528

Allotments Officer,

Parks, Woodlands and Countryside,

Meersbrook Park,

Brook Road

S8 9FL

Jim

Originally posted by jimS

Nomme:

You need to contact the Allotments Office. If you tell them the area(s) you are looking in, they will send you a map of the allotment area with vacant/occupied lots marked.

Jim

Thanks Jim

Nomme

Jim

Can't think of the actual reason for there demize but maybe they are planning to build there , but if there still offering them out then thats unlikely however maybe vandalism has something to do with it.

Allotment holders are a dying breed today as the younger generation don't want to undertake the heavy work they require, not like i,m having a pop because they are time consuming and hard work.

You can put in for an allotment almost anywhere and get one within days but Rivelin is a good choice of area to have one.

Ask the council why they are all empty, they will have the answer.

My dad had an allotment there. It's been a few years but I'll ask him if he's heard anything from friends. Shame they've gone to ruin. Years ago it was difficult to even get one. My dad had his name on a waiting list for a while before a vacant one came available.

I do not know the area, but I guess it is most likely vandalism, what is the point of putting in all the hard work and dedication if some halfwits are ruining everything all the time, personally, I wouldn't bother, as the only way these days is to have a garden and allotment at home, where you can secure it and safeguard it to protect your belongings from the insane section of our society.

Hi Jim,

Some people I know recently abondoned one of the last allotments on the site you mentioned and have moved up to the ones near the cemetry. The reason for doing this was the constant vandalism to the shed and greenhouse , some gardens have even been set on fire in the past.

Better to go up the hill a bit further where more people tend the gardens which are therefore more secure.

Hope this helps

Bill

Many thanks for all the answers, which we found very helpful.

We have decided to take the risk and take over one which has been worked more recently than most. You never know - other people might come back, slowly!

Jim

I'd be interested to know how you get on Jim.