Sign in to follow this  

Anyone go fishing?

I am currently building up all new fishing gear (Course fishing) as i am wanting to get started again in this pass time which i have not done for 20 years.

I admit to be a little rusty especially as techniques are different today.

Does anyone go fishing on a regular basis or can anyone advise me on how to set up a pole i have bought.

I want to fish Lincolnshire, Norfolk areas and some areas around Retford, i noticed a nice place at Clayworth yesterday and i,m told it belongs to Sheffield water, whatever that means.

So come on lets talk fishing and hook up on this interesting sport.

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

I am currently building up all new fishing gear (Course fishing) as i am wanting to get started again in this pass time which i have not done for 20 years.

I admit to be a little rusty especially as techniques are different today.

Does anyone go fishing on a regular basis or can anyone advise me on how to set up a pole i have bought.

I want to fish Lincolnshire, Norfolk areas and some areas around Retford, i noticed a nice place at Clayworth yesterday and i,m told it belongs to Sheffield water, whatever that means.

So come on lets talk fishing and hook up on this interesting sport.

I used to go fishing years ago. Unfortunately I didn't have a pole as they were expensive back then and Pole fishing was a "new" method. Do you plan on fishing rivers or ponds? I am afraid the only good bit of advise I can offer you is to make sure you have a licenece in this day and age, but I am sure you already knew that. ;)

Even the licence has changed, i think its one licence for all areas now.

I plan on fishing mainly rivers and drains or canals.

When i get confident i will embark on trips to Ireland.

Even the licence has changed, i think its one licence for all areas now.

I plan on fishing mainly rivers and drains or canals.

When i get confident i will embark on trips to Ireland.

Yes and I think they have done away with those day/weekend licences now.

I used to fish the Trent, Witham and Wharfe often but the Trent went dead for a long time. I've been told it's since recovered. Worsbrough Reservoir used to be excellent for big bags of bream. The Barnsley Blacks used to practice on there, although car crime used to be a problem in the car park.

I go carp fishing now and again but I'm not obsessed with the sport. I don't really have the time working six days a week.

It's one of the most relaxing things you can do after a stressfull week at work. If the fish aren't feeding as is usually the case with me you just lay back in your chair and have a kip:)

You can buy a licence from the post office or the Environment Agency online.

When I bought my pole at an angling fair in Newark I took it to a tackle shop near Chaucer School (can't remember the name) when I got home.The guy there set it all up with the correct elastic and bungs and things and he didn't charge that much.

I use different tackle for carp though.

What are you having trouble in setting up on your pole? They are quite simple to set up. Basicaly you need the correct strengh elastic for the type of fishing your doing. 1 to 10 i think they go to and 10 being for big fish!

The alastic is the threaded through your top 2 pole sections using a plastic bung at the bottom which inserts inside the pole and a plastic ring at the top to which you connect your float rig.

any tackle shop should be able to advise you on which alastic to use. They should also stock the nessesery bits and bats to set it up. Most tackle shops also sell ready made rigs which will make life a little easier until you get used to pole fishing.

i hope this helps? Maybe you can help me?

I have just moved to sheffield and i'm looking for someone to direct me to any local lakes, ponds, rivers etc which are good fishing? I don't know Sheffield that well and live in the Meersbrook area. Anywhere not to far will be ideal! As long as theres fish :D

I ddo already have the elastic connected but it was setting it up with the line and attachments to it i was'nt sure of.

Local places to fish are Damn Flask at Bradfield, Underbank at Stocksbridge, and there is a lake at Kiveton Park thats meant to be good.

Frechville used to ahve a pond, not sure if it still exists.

Outabridge have 3 gravel pits with trout in it but you have to be a member to fish it.

Other places reasonably close is the River Trent, Sheffield Chesterfield canal at Clayworth and the River Idol at Retford.

I ddo already have the elastic connected but it was setting it up with the line and attachments to it i was'nt sure of.

Local places to fish are Damn Flask at Bradfield, Underbank at Stocksbridge, and there is a lake at Kiveton Park thats meant to be good.

Frechville used to ahve a pond, not sure if it still exists.

Outabridge have 3 gravel pits with trout in it but you have to be a member to fish it.

Other places reasonably close is the River Trent, Sheffield Chesterfield canal at Clayworth and the River Idol at Retford.

what about Herries pond Cycleracer. This is close to you isn't it?

setting up the line etc is just like setting up a normal float rod except yo have a length of line wich is maybe 2 or 3 pole sections long. Attach the line to the allastic and set it up as you would a float rod, with the appropiate depth, float and hook for the waters you fish.

Thanks for the help with the local lakes and ponds i will look into them

Originally posted by Lickszz

what about Herries pond Cycleracer. This is close to you isn't it?

Yes, though its a private pond and only open to residents in Sheffield 5 which of course i come under.

I like to fish a bit further away from home though.

Yes, though its a private pond and only open to residents in Sheffield 5 which of course i come under.

I like to fish a bit further away from home though.

Fleets Dam in Barnlsey used to be good in my day. Very good carp water. Although I used to think the day ticket prices were expensive back then, not sure about now. What about Rivelin? There is a few ponds there, the top one seems the best from what I have seen. As for Dam flask, I never used to enjoy fishing there, was good in trout season but for normal fishing I thought it was poor. Not enough fish in there for such a large area, although it is excelling for Pike fishing in the bottle neck end.

Originally posted by Lickszz

Fleets Dam in Barnlsey used to be good in my day. Very good carp water. Although I used to think the day ticket prices were expensive back then, not sure about now. What about Rivelin? There is a few ponds there, the top one seems the best from what I have seen. As for Dam flask, I never used to enjoy fishing there, was good in trout season but for normal fishing I thought it was poor. Not enough fish in there for such a large area, although it is excelling for Pike fishing in the bottle neck end.

I,m also not keen on large dams and much prefer rivers.

I was walking along side the dam in Western Park earlier this summer and the size of the carp basking on the top were incredible.

I don,t know if anybody ever catches them but they were massive.

I,m watching a bit a T.V on fishing to get my appitite back and going to finish off buying in my gear this weekend.

As a person who enjoys the outdoors it will be a relaxing hobbie when i,m not slogging my guts out on the bike.