Zoom lens to go with my 40D

My first post on here, so i'll first say hi to everyone.

Right, my folks have just given me a Canon 40D as a Birthday / early Christmas present. It came with the kit lens which is a Canon EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM.

I enjoy taking pictures but have always just had point & shoot cameras in the past, this is my first DSLR.

Now im wanting to go and get a zoom lens for it, something up to about 250 - 300mm. I aint got a huge amount of cash to spend but can afford to go up to around the £300 mark.

Any advice on what to get would be great.

Thanks

DVP

I've got a sigma 70 - 300 APO with Macro and paid about £160 for it. It's not a bad lens and I've had some half decent results from it. It depends what you are shooting aswell

tamron do a nice lens, mine only goes to 200, which i've found adequate. them big benefit is it's only the same size as the kit lens you've got.

I like to travel overseas alot and the vast majority of the pics i take are landscape scenery pictures, it wont let me post links to websites yet but ive seen the following lens, its a Canon EF 70 - 200mm f/4 L USM ( non IS ) @ £370 same lens but with IS is over £600.