View Full Version : Crystal Peaks UCI to close

RPG
21-02-2003, 17:07
Quoted from the sheffield star:

Crystal Peaks' UCI Cinema is to shut down next month, the first closure in the company's history. It is a result of competition from the 20 screen UGC cinema at Vally Centertainment, attercliffe, and Warner Bros' At meadowhall.
the UCI was was sheffields first ever 10 screen cinema and shows its last film on march 20th

:shock:

Andy
21-02-2003, 17:49
When I was a kid, the first film I saw was at the UCI Cinema. I think it was the Jungle Book, and I was about five at the time.

It's a shame. Hopefully someone else will take over.

smartie
22-02-2003, 00:51
it is a real shame as no-one is taking over, its being converted to more retail space, according to the article :(

crystal peaks always seems busy to me, apart from "downstairs" ie the cinema and food courts, it just isn't in the main corridor of activity to sustain anything! (other than maccy d's)

as ever its a case of use it or lose it, and the envitable has happened......perhaps a trip on Supertram or a car journey to the others was just too tempting?! of course, we'll hear some moaning about "why don't we have any entertainment round here?" quite soon after!! what is the point of closing before all the development has finished? there are still plenty of sites (particlarly owlthorpe) being developed!!

why cant the star start a campaign to save UCI Crystal Peaks?!

come on people, sign up and save the UCI, write to them!!

John
22-02-2003, 04:09
Go on a Sunday 2 weeks after a top film has been released and you will have the entire cinema to yourself. No one is going to sustain that kind of loss for long, in fact, I am surprised it wasn't closed 2 years ago. By all means write to them, but it will do nothing unless you and everyone else plan to start going there regularly.

Does anybody remember the Rex cinema in Intake?

*Twinkle*
22-02-2003, 10:48
What a shame! I didn't even know about this until I signed in here today! I'll be sorry to see it go, but I must admit that I'm probably the kind of person that's contributed to its closure. Although Crystal peaks is closer, I always go to Meadowhall to see a film. I think its to do with the wide choice of shops and the different atmosphere.

Crystal peaks is usually quite busy, but I have found myself getting a bit bored in there, which is very odd for a shop-a-holic such as myself. I think Meadowhall and UCG are getting more costom because of the range of facilities and the surrounding areas. Also, UCG have cool loo's! hehehe! :lol:

Chris
22-02-2003, 13:32
Purely from the point of view of which is the better cinema it's a shame the cinema at Meadowhall wasn't a UCI cinema. Even after the Warner cinema opened we avoided it as the Crystal Peaks had the better cinema - Warner doesn't seem to know how to take care of their film, the sound is invariably too loud and the cinema unpleasant to go to (dirty and the lobby smelt nauseating as a result of the sweet shop). UGC is heaps better, but still second to UCI for getting the actual film bit right.

I'm disappointed to see UCI go, but in the end it was just out-dated and at a disadvantage due to it's location. I'd be more disappointed if the Showroom suffered the same fate.

Lickszz
22-02-2003, 13:41
well, it is a shame. I have been a few times but it is quite a distance for me so, I often go to the nearer ones.

halevan
22-02-2003, 20:47
Yes, I did a lot of my courting in the Rex cinema in the forties, at that time it was the last word in luxury and very popular, I remember standing in long queue's there on a saturday night to see the old musical film's. We used to catch the old tramcar's to and from the cinema from where I lived on the manor estate and we alway's sat upstair's as it was more interesting, especially if one sat in the bay. :) :lol: :D

MuteWitness
24-02-2003, 21:24
i normally go to UGC its moden, the sound is good and it has a bar. UCI was good and ive seen some films there but they are both about 15mins away from me so it wont affect me

FishyFish
26-02-2003, 16:46
Got to say I'm gutted about this. UCI Crystal Peaks is a 10 minute walk from home and as such is really convenient.

Unsurprisingly the staff have looked pretty dejected the last couple of times I've been.

Be really sad to see it go - I've seen loads of good films there since it opened.

Fishy

xyZed
28-02-2003, 09:16
I'm not surprised really. It was a an outdated cinema, made to look very old fashioned by the new ones. I went last year and it's designed so that people coming in after you come from behind. You are sat in darkness and you can hear people coming in and moving about behind you. This I thought was a very poor design.

In modern cinemas, people enter from the front. Everyone already seated can see them coming in. People creeping up behind you in a dark cinema (these days) isn't very comfortable I'm afraid.

28-02-2003, 22:57
THEY SHUDNT CLOSE IT CAUSE IT IS THE ONLY CINEMA THAT IS NEAR WHERE I LIVE AND IM NOT GOIN TU MEADOWHALL 2 C A FILM :evil: [/b]

Lickszz
28-02-2003, 22:58
Originally posted by "Anonymous"

THEY SHUDNT CLOSE IT CAUSE IT IS THE ONLY CINEMA THAT IS NEAR WHERE I LIVE AND IM NOT GOIN TU MEADOWHALL 2 C A FILM :evil: [/b]

I agree, out that way there isn't anything remotely close. Keep it open.

RPG
28-02-2003, 22:59
UGC and the Odeon are a tram ride away

Lickszz
28-02-2003, 23:00
Originally posted by "RPG"

UGC and the Odeon are a tram ride awayWhat if you live at Woodhouse or Handsworth?

RPG
28-02-2003, 23:08
then the odeon is mearly a bus ride away

alchresearch
28-02-2003, 23:41
I don't think it's down to whether Crystal Peaks was 'old and outdated' or that better cinemas are 'a bus / tram ride away'.

I happen to think that Sheffield City Centre is old and rundown. By this logic, do we decide to close it down and catch a bus to Leeds or Manchester?

I was staying in Carlisle a few weeks ago and they have two cinemas both in the city centre. A modern Warner Village and a really old family run cinema. I went to the family run one. It might not have been as modern as the UGC but it was about three pounds cheaper for the exact same film.

Sheffield had some great cinemas, almost one in every suburb until the 60's when they turned to bingo halls. Lets not let the big companies dominate and kill off a great local cinema.

xyZed
01-03-2003, 10:20
Originally posted by "Anonymous"

Messages in all capital letters is considered aggressive shouting on newsgroups and forums.

I understand your frustration at it closing. Of course I have a car so it wasn't a consideration. Unfortunately though, cinemas are a business and if they don't make a profit they close down. My point was that it's hardly surprising it's lost money, because it's old fashioned and poorly designed, with basic seats etc and people have voted with their arses and gone to the far superior UGC.

xyZed
01-03-2003, 10:22
Originally posted by "alchresearch"

I don't think it's down to whether Crystal Peaks was 'old and outdated' or that better cinemas are 'a bus / tram ride away'.

I happen to think that Sheffield City Centre is old and rundown. By this logic, do we decide to close it down and catch a bus to Leeds or Manchester?

No, we go to Meadowhall

xyZed
01-03-2003, 10:22
Originally posted by "xyZed"sommat[/quote

This post is a reult of gremlins

Lickszz
01-03-2003, 11:15
Originally posted by "xyZed"

Messages in all capital letters is considered aggressive shouting on newsgroups and forums.

I understand your frustration at it closing. Of course I have a car so it wasn't a consideration. Unfortunately though, cinemas are a business and if they don't make a profit they close down. My point was that it's hardly surprising it's lost money, because it's old fashioned and poorly designed, with basic seats etc and people have voted with their arses and gone to the far superior UGC.

Does it make that much difference if the letter are in capitals or not, I think this is been a bit fussy.

halevan
01-03-2003, 13:33
Tut Tut,
Whatever happened to correct spelling.??? :(

xyZed
01-03-2003, 14:39
Originally posted by "Lickszz"

Does it make that much difference if the letter are in capitals or not, I think this is been a bit fussy.

Yes it does matter :) If you want to shout on a forum, you use all capital letters and people not realising this can find others ignoring or abusing them. I just wanted to politely point it out in case the poster was unaware.

Newsgroups and forums are places where people communicate by text only. Studies done on how we communicate show that the overwhelming majority of all communication is through body language and tone of voice. One study said that only 7% of communication was in the words themselves, with 54% being body language and 39% in tone of voice and delivery

This is why there are so many flames and arguments on forums and newsgroups, because communicating well, with text only, is incredibly difficult.

That's why there are many rules called "netiquette", which is important to be aware of if you want to avoid upsetting people, being misunderstood or making common errors that others can jump on. Searching on Google for "netiquette" brings up 443,000 pages so it's a very popular subject.

Many people using forums haven't been told about the netiquette aspect of it and get flamed by more experienced usenet users. I just politely said that it's considered shouting and aggressive by millions of usenet users - which it is.

Here's just one page at random talking about usenet netiquette http://www.ez-net.com/usenet.html and here's relevant quotes from it

flaming - when one user gets mad at another user and replies sarcasm, insult, or nasty comments
shouting - when you type in CAPITAL LETTERS, you are shouting something - don't post in all capitals to a newsgroup... you will experience flaming first-hand!

I hope this post doesnít come across as arrogant or over necessary, Iím just trying to be helpful :)

tymr
03-03-2003, 11:33
"halevan"]Tut Tut,
Whatever happened to correct spelling.???

and what about the inappropriate and excessive use of apostrophes Mr. Halevan? :roll:
I'm sorry, it seems that everywhere one goes, people like placing apostrophes before any "s" they can find!

It seems (seem's!!) that this has turned into another subject, so I'd better comment on the imminent UCI cinema closure:

many postings seem sensible, why not go to Meadowhall or UGC?... and the City Centre is hardly run down, I've not seen so much new development in 20 years!

halevan
03-03-2003, 12:09
Education, Education, Education!!! '''''''''' :lol: :lol: :lol:

David Nicolaou
22-08-2003, 14:21
I used to own the Cybercentre Arcade next to the Cinema and I had seven good years there. Well 5 good and 2 rather dire.

When we opened in 1993 the cinema was doing 20,000 punters a week, before meadowhall it was around 36,000 punters a week.

The crunch time came when they opened Chesterfield - 70% of the customers didn't want to drive this far.

Compound the fact that it was Cinemas like Sheffield that built the rest of the UCI chain, a lot of hot air was expounded about taking on the competition and busing customers in if need be and multi-million pound re-fits in the offing. Needless to say if you have visited the cinema - they were reluctant to paint the place never mind re-fit. The re-fit never happened.

Couple this with an extremely weak management at Sheffield who didn't really have to skill to turn this business around and there we have the reciepe for doom and bankruptcy.

On top of all this when the cinema was struggling to get 5000 people through its doors the landlords were playing hardball with all the tenants when it was this time that we really needed their support and understanding, not thier threats.

The rather vertically challenged Mr Jones-Chong (centre manager) just puffed his pipe and sat back doing absolutely nothing other than reading rules from the big boys book of Shopping centre management (Edition 5). I hear his wife got custody of the chong and he became just old Chris Jones. I still shudder when i hear cuban heels clicking on cheap flooring tiles. But I digress.
(Is Mr Jones (chong) still in residence?)

Finally, we negoiated a break in the new year of 2000 and must say it was in hindsight the best break i have ever made (personally).

It is a shame - but it was inevitable - i have been waiting for them to close down since 1999. It surprises me they took so long.

Is AM Raj still operating - the owner there Nadim is a seriously nice guy who I hope is not going to be another victim of the Curse of Crystal Peaks Leisure.

Feel free to comment or tell me i am talking crap - but i do have the inside line on this place. Shame - end of an era n all that but onwards and upwards.

See you all at UGC !!!!!!!

RPG
22-08-2003, 14:24
i used to love that arcade :D

i used to only play one game tho ;) it was near the entrance and you raced minicoopers

it was summat like MiniCooper Street Racing or similar ;)

Mawgan
22-08-2003, 17:27
Thats a shame.. Been there a couple of times, but to be honest I'm not surprised by its fate - always seemed so quiet. I'd have been there more often but there are others far easier for me to get to..

alchresearch
22-08-2003, 18:14
Originally posted by RPG
i used to love that arcade :D

i used to only play one game tho ;) it was near the entrance and you raced minicoopers

it was summat like MiniCooper Street Racing or similar ;)

GTI CLUB

David Nicolaou
15-09-2003, 19:11
Yep that was the one - paid itself of in 13 weeks and it was 12 1/2 grand brand new.

Great days - someone told me there was a reunion of staff brewing on a site called streetlife or something - no idea what or where it is.

Anyway - look to the future not the past -

Arcade is dead though i think - meadowhall arcade seems to have gone - oddly enough gambling still makes money.

Cheers people

Take care

RPG
15-09-2003, 19:14
yeah thats it!

i thought the namco place in meadowhall was having a re-fit to fit in with the new oasis? prolly wrong mind ;)

David Nicolaou
16-10-2003, 10:19
Oh it could well be re-fitting. Why hasn't the Gambling arm closed for a refit ????

I just presumed it was gone and something else was coming there.