Sign in to follow this  

Where do you live in Sheffield and what is the area like?

I am moving to Sheffield and would like to know about the different areas of Sheffield. I would like to know about the area in general including transport and nightlife. I would be grateful for all your knowledge!! :)

I live in the Woodseats area of Sheffield and will vouch for it being a popular area for buying and selling property. It has all the amenities you need schools, pubs, shops, main bus route and it's a short journey to the city centre. Overall one of Sheffields most sought after areas - take a look if you get the chance.

I live in Hillsborough which is a quite friendly place. On the routes of both the blue and Yellow(meadowhall) trams aswell as having it's own little bus station now.

Has a very busy shopping centre aswell as Hillsborough barracks which houses a number of big name shops and a few independant ones too.

Amenities - we have a large park which has a pond with ducks, tennis courts and football fields (I think they are associated with the club next to the park) as well as a leisure centre too.

I rarely need to go into the city centre to find what I need that includes for clothes for me and the kids - the co-op has DP and Burtons.

There are at least four restaurants in the centre of Hillsborough - Indian, Italian, Cantonese and Spanish (I think) and few others as you go out of the main shopping centre.

We are a 10-30 min walk (depending on how fast you walk) from the start if the Rivelin Valey nature trail and buses leave on a regular basis going up to lady bower and the peak district.

If you want night life - the pubs are always extremely busy at the weekends and during the week too. You do not have far to stumble for your late night takeaway either.

Family wise - the amenities for kids are quite good. Lots of toddler groups and the schools although not ranked at the top - are high in the league tables. I can only speak for three schools myself.

erm......well that is my plug for the area

Moon Maiden

i lived in the woodthorpe/manor area, pretty f****d up at times but generally alright

Originally posted by "Moon Maiden"

I live in Hillsborough which is a quite friendly place. On the routes of both the blue and Yellow(meadowhall) trams aswell as having it's own little bus station now.

Has a very busy shopping centre aswell as Hillsborough barracks which houses a number of big name shops and a few independant ones too.

Amenities - we have a large park which has a pond with ducks, tennis courts and football fields (I think they are associated with the club next to the park) as well as a leisure centre too.

I rarely need to go into the city centre to find what I need that includes for clothes for me and the kids - the co-op has DP and Burtons.

There are at least four restaurants in the centre of Hillsborough - Indian, Italian, Cantonese and Spanish (I think) and few others as you go out of the main shopping centre.

We are a 10-30 min walk (depending on how fast you walk) from the start if the Rivelin Valey nature trail and buses leave on a regular basis going up to lady bower and the peak district.

If you want night life - the pubs are always extremely busy at the weekends and during the week too. You do not have far to stumble for your late night takeaway either.

Family wise - the amenities for kids are quite good. Lots of toddler groups and the schools although not ranked at the top - are high in the league tables. I can only speak for three schools myself.

erm......well that is my plug for the area

Moon Maiden

Where is the Bus Station Moon Maiden?

The bus station in hillsborough is on Langsett Road on the left as you pass through Hillsborough from Hillsborough corner. It's near the Barracks. There are the super tram stops near it aswell.

I work in Hillsborough and think it would be a good place to live as it has everything on the doorstep. Unable to afford to leave home I'm with my parents in fulwood (lucky me), a leafy area of the city. Known for being a more afluent area of the city it's a pretty quiet place to live. We've got a few important local shops and are on a main bus route but the nearest pubs are in Nethergreen and Ranmoor.

Broomhill is a good area. It's got a large shopping area and is a ten minute bus ride into town and a fifteen minute drive into the Peak District.

well i said about my area being f***ed up a bit back lol and today we got burgled, a bike with 1 pedal was all that got taken lol but they tried to get into the kitchen with a screwdriver lol.

I live in Ecclesall and the area is nice. It is largely a quiet area with lots of trees and well kept gardens. Houses are mainly semis and detached, mainly nice looking traditional inter-war houses with big gardens. There are 2 of the best secondary schools in Sheffield here (Silverdale and High Storrs), as well as some of the best Primaries. House prices are expensive (for outside of London anyway) and the open countryside is but a short drive or even walk away. There are also plenty of amenities nearby, such as at Bents Green or further down the road (just outside of Ecclesall, mind) theres Banner Cross. The area has a nice suburban feel to it and usually the most activity is people gardening or washing their cars at the weekend. I like the fact that there is barely any trouble at all, though you still get the odd Chav causing trouble occasionally. I also like the fact that the area has a prestige associated with it (and before anyone says that's snobby, why do people buy Mercs, ay Max?).

I currently live in Hillsborough! I agree it has everything, but if your buying... be very warned! A house we looked at was on the market for 69, 950 and it sold for 87, 500! Thats 17k Over the asking price!

I decided to move to Hackenthorpe, payed 7k over the asking price, but heh! The area looks quiet, but its quite far from town.

It has lots of local ammenities close by, like, Crystal peaks shopping centre, drake house retail park and not too far from meadowhall too!

It depends what your after! I seriously recommend you rent somewhere and take daytime walks around sheffield to find the palce for you! if you like it, search this forum... you will find lots of info on nearly every area in here!

Have fun!

live in crookes

ace place, easy for food, supermarkets, restaurants ect and brilliant pubs!!