What city is the largest Sheffield or Leeds?

I've heard people in Leeds say its bigger than Sheffield and down here the other way round what is the reality?

Nationally I'd have thought the order was something like this 1)London, 2)Birmingham or Manchester, 4)Leeds, 5)Sheffield.

when the next census comes out, (if that's how it's spelt,) sheffield WILL over take Leeds due to the fact sheffield is now classed as "a safe haven" for immigrants and the fact that sheffield has such a large student population, with about 10% of the students each year, actually living in sheffield after they have finished uni

According to Wikipedia, the population of Leeds is 457,247, and the population of Sheffield is 520,700. However the Leeds measurement comes from the 2001 census, whereas the Sheffield figure is an estimate of the 2005 population.

When it comes to population, different means of measuring a city's size produces different results. If you use the city centre as a measure to determine the size of a place then I'd say London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, and Liverpool are head and shoulders above the next. I think Sheffield is battling it out with the likes of Nottingham, Newcastle, Bristol, and Southampton and to be honest I can't say Sheffield is the largest amongst these. But without a shadow of a doubt Sheffield is far the best city.

When it comes to population, different means of measuring a city's size produces different results. If you use the city centre as a measure to determine the size of a place then I'd say London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, and Liverpool are head and shoulders above the next. I think Sheffield is battling it out with the likes of Nottingham, Newcastle, Bristol, and Southampton and to be honest I can't say Sheffield is the largest amongst these. But without a shadow of a doubt Sheffield is far the best city.

What a pointless and totally incorrect statement

What a pointless and totally incorrect statement

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Not as pointless and useless as your entry..

But it doesn't make sense, Sheffield is twice the size of Nottingham for starters

The city boundary of Nottingham practically runs through the city centre but the urban sprawl is as big as Sheffield's. Census population of cities all depends on the way the respected city has traditionally chosen to submit its figures. A more true reflection of cities 'pull' is through the population figures of its conurbation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conurbations_in_the_United_Kingdom

If you go to Nottingham, you can actually see the city centre is huge, and maybe bigger than Sheffield.

I always thought manchester was a bigger city and had more population than sheffield.

I always thought manchester was a bigger city and had more population than sheffield.

I think Manchester is a much bigger city, just it gets split into Salford, Rochdale, Stockport, etc. It certainly has the feel of a big city unlike Sheffield.

The title of this thread should be "What city is the larger Sheffield or Leeds?"