View Full Version : I think my gerbil is ill...

MuteWitness
21-09-2007, 08:42
Just got up and checked on the pets... My Gerbil looks a little life less, It is still alive as it opens its eyes slowly but its breathing is very slow and it hasn't moved. I've not picked it up either - Any idea of what i could do?

thanks

MuteWitness
21-09-2007, 08:46
Ive just put some nuts in which it normally loves and it hasn't moved to eat them - ive also put a small bowl of water in so it doesn't have to use the water bottle :(

fox20thc
21-09-2007, 08:49
how old is he?

MuteWitness
21-09-2007, 08:51
about 3 years. But it was fine yesturday and a few days when i cleaned her out she was running all over seems a bit sudden. I know 3 years is about average for a gerbil.

katkin
21-09-2007, 09:40
aww hope all is well, but be prepared for the worst -3yrs is a good age for a gerb.

MuteWitness
21-09-2007, 09:58
Its still not doing anything - doesn't seem to be in pain - just leaving her alone at the moment.

medusa
21-09-2007, 12:11
3 years is a good age for a gerbil. If it's feeling a bit chilly you could make it a little more comfortable by putting it on a hot water bottle that's warm rather than hot, but other than that it's the big question of whether it would be kinder not to take it to the vet because of the level of stress concerned with travel in a box etc.

I hope this is just an 'off' day, but with older animals not even vets can keep them alive for ever.

Wysseri
21-09-2007, 12:13
You really need to get some water, sugar and salt in her so her metabolism can get going.

For this I always use some fruit baby food, something like apple, banana etc is good, this will provide the much needed sugars and water. You can then crush a small amount of rock salt too and sprinkle on the baby food. If you have one, try to get her in a hospital tank where you can keep an eye on her, put a piece of fruit in like a grape or slice of apple (again, water and sugars). If you can get to the vets ask them for some lectade, this is a ready made powder with electrolytes, vitamins and minerals, it's a re-hydration mix and should help any animal get back on track.

Otherwise you're looking at losing her I'm afraid. Gerbils have a high metabolism and can go downhill very quickly, it's likely she's had some sort of stroke, fit or maybe kidney failure.

Have you touched her? It's most likely she's very cold, try to warm her someway, using a heat mat, hot water bottle next to the tank, anything. Again this helps to get the metabolism going again.

3 is a good age, many of mine live to this age with the occasional few managing over 4.

MuteWitness
21-09-2007, 12:17
Thanks for your great advise going to start with a hot water bottle now - when i tried to touch her it felt like she wasnt using her back legs well

MuteWitness
24-09-2007, 12:26
My gerbil died yesterday morning :-(

Moonbird
24-09-2007, 12:35
Sorry to hear about your gerbil, she was a good age ... so she must have had a great life with you.

medusa
24-09-2007, 12:49
I'm so sorry to hear about your gerbil f_g. Unfortunately we survive our animals the majority of the time and dealing with that can be very hard.

The important thing is that you did your best to provide her with a loving good home and her life was a happy one.

katkin
24-09-2007, 12:54
aww you did all you could by the sounds of it and she lived a good old age for a gerbil- sorry to hear she's gone though xK